Life Time Fitness
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 17s
Overall Rank = 210/439
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 35/69
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed some Clif Protein bar (crunch peanut butter), water, and a pre-race overcaffeinated drink to sip on. Drove to the event, parked, and walked to the transition area. The initial event guide said that the transition area would close at 6:15, but it didn't. I lubed up like a Crisco laden athlete, talked to my wife who stood right by the transition area, and got my poop in a group. There were several people who had decided to use the "leadman 125" transition mat that they gave out as a freebie. Well, that's like using a RV sized mat in a MINI Cooper world. Really, people? I'm not a pro, but at least throw down a small towel or whatevs, and give people some room to make their nest as well. The lady next to me (bless her) had this giant sized mat and a grocery bag full of goodies in her "spot" and then she asks me to scoot over...crazy funny.
Event warmup:

1 Rocktane about 20 minutes before the swim, sipped on water. Wiggled my a$$ into the figure flattering wetsuit, had my wife zip it up from top to bottom (for some reason this is much harder than the "normal" zipper configuration) and then waited in the line for the green capped peeps to get wet.
Swim
  • 57m 7s
  • 2500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was just a "hard training day" for me as I had just done Oceanside 70.3 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to doing the Buffalo Springs 70.3 in June and in full on training mode for that. That being said, I wasn't exactly feeling this swim at all. My first 200 consisted of jockeying for position until I found some clear water for myself. My form wasn't exactly stellar and it went to crap for most of the swim. I was so proud of myself for peeing in the middle of the swim that I got off course and swam (obviously concentrating so hard) right past the turn around buoy. Genius move, there.
What would you do differently?:

Pee at a more opportune time. Concentrate on my form the entire swim, not just when I realized I was swimming like a pathetic land based creature.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were awesome, although sporadically spaced between the swim out and the transition entrance.

Bring different socks for my feet (where else do socks go?). The ones I brought and used were semi-compression ones that were REALLY hard to get on wet feet. I had to sit down to do this, which was embarrassing and slowed me down. Wrong stinkin' socks. WTF was I thinking when I got these out of the drawer?
Bike
  • 3h 22m 58s
  • 69.28 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a very slow lady on a road bike yell at me, "you're supposed to say ON YOUR LEFT" when I passed her. Nobody else was anywhere near us and there was about a 8 mph speed difference. I just turned around, looked at her, and laughed. I think she was so pissed off but it was the funniest thing to me to hear that. I passed her with about 5 feet to spare between us.

I went out too hard (remember it was a "hard training day" race?) too fast and then finally, after mile 43 or so, settled down and my HR dropped about 10 bpm into a better zone, but the damage was done. Well, it would have been damage if I was really concerned about finishing times.

Pass that lady that yelled at me about 5 inches off her shoulder so the yelling would've been warranted. I'm kidding...

Slow it down and work on pacing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Too many people scrunched into the long chute from the bike dismount to the transition area. They were bullshitting and walking so slowly I asked nicely to get around them and they ignored me...until I asked again and reminded them it was a race. That did the trick. Maybe I shoulda yelled "on your left". Buwahahahahahaha.

Remember to take off my helmet before I take off running. What an idiot. I can no longer make fun of those people who do that. Good thing my wife was there to tell me to take it off (the helmet).
Run
  • 1h 30m 12s
  • 8 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Eh...I've had much better runs. Kinda blew up on the bike and I knew it, so I started fast and then purposely slowed down. Then I met all those stinking hills and really slowed down. Then the canal that never ended, but you could see people coming back on the other side. Then more hills in mile 6 and that cruel one up the road to start mile 7. After that I was home free and ran (jogged) the rest of the way.

Work on pacing the entire race so I don't blow this run stuff. I did good at that at Oceanside, but this race I went out too fast on the bike and then suffered on the run. It was a good run though and I knew about the trails, but didn't expect the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Bananas, cold water, animal crackers, sat on my butt, waddled over to get my bike, met up with a few peeps from Tribe Multisport that were out there cheering and competing, then wife and daughter drove me home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor pacing.
The EFS and Gatorade (on course) burned my throat today for some reason, I didn't have a backup plan for electrolytes and I think that hindered my perfomance some.

Event comments:

I have no idea what I was thinking registering for this 2 weeks after my A race in Oceanside, but I did. I won't do that next year. Or ever again. Sure, it was fun and I enjoyed it, but I did not enjoy my brain saying "go for it" and my plan of "hard training day." My OCD ADD brain doesn't compute that very well.

It was a well run race and fun.

My doctor was there doing it...he's crazy competitive...I crushed him like a bug by 20 minutes...then he wouldn't talk to me after the race...anybody know a good doctor? : )

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:07 | 2500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 53/69
Overall: 69/439
Performance: Below average
Suit: Profile Design
Course: Easy course, swam directly into the sun...that actually made it easy to sight for me.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:22:58 | 69.28 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/69
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: TOO MANY U-TURNS. Laps 2 and 3 were full of Sprint and Olympic triathletes entering the course. It was so busy on certain portions of the race course that passing was a joke. It was almost unsafe in certain areas. That's racing and no big deal, but was frustrating at times.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:30:12 | 08 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/69
Performance: Below average
Course: Satan himself designed this course. Hills, loose rocks, gravel, dirt, dust, hard packed dirt, hotter than hell, no shade, and well, I was in no mood to run where there was nobody around but me and my pathetically slow butt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-04-15 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125

2013-04-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4700564

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125
GREAT job! It was a hot one out there! At least I know I wasn't the lady yelling at you!
That last hill up Lakeshore was cruel!
You did awesome considering you just did Oceanside 2 weeks before - WTG!
2013-04-15 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job!  That was a tough race, and it got hotter and windier as the day wore on.  You're right - that canal never seemed to end.
2013-04-15 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Congrats on finishing... your race went about the same as mine, except I didn't do a 70.3 beforehand, good job hanging in there.
2013-04-15 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Great job on a hot day!!! I always get humor out of some people wanting the whole parking lot for their transition spot
2013-04-16 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Well done, fellow Oceanside crazy!  I think we all had the same thoughts about this one "why so soon after CA?"

Great job pushing through - you and I had very close results throughout - we must have seen or passed each other somewhere.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125 Rss Feed