General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss or Increase Fitness, Pick One? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-15 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Ponchatoula
Subject: Weight Loss or Increase Fitness, Pick One?

I'm 2.5 years into this journey. I'm down 51 lbs. I've completed 3 sprint Triathlons, 1 Cat 5 road race, and 2 10K runs. I can huff and puff along at ~ 20 MPH on the bike and run 10:30 miles for a 10K. Very proud of my results at 55 y/o considering were I started (completely sedentary lifte style).

I've done this by alternating phases of training with weight loss. I can't seem to do both, I've tried many approaches including WW and most diets of the month. 

At my recent Cat 5 bike race, I was clearly the fattest guy riding a bike. I'm 5'7" and 205 lbs, still obese by about 15 lbs. 

I've got a Triathlon coming up May 18th. I'm afraid when it's over, it's time to seriously curtail my training and focus on nothing but weight loss for several months. I hate to toss the fitness but just don't see any other way around it. I don't want to be fat and fit, just fit. 

Over the last year while I've made big increases in fitness (started running 1 year ago and bike speed is up) I'm at the exact same weight as this time last year.

My idea is to park the bike and cut my running from 3 miles every other day back to 2. I'm afraid to stop running as it was too tough to get where I am.

Anybody else have to take this approach? Anybody got a Magic Genie Wish left over you want to part with?  

2013-04-15 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4700594

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Weight Loss or Increase Fitness, Pick One?
remout - 2013-04-15 10:33 AM

I'm 2.5 years into this journey. I'm down 51 lbs. I've completed 3 sprint Triathlons, 1 Cat 5 road race, and 2 10K runs. I can huff and puff along at ~ 20 MPH on the bike and run 10:30 miles for a 10K. Very proud of my results at 55 y/o considering were I started (completely sedentary lifte style).

I've done this by alternating phases of training with weight loss. I can't seem to do both, I've tried many approaches including WW and most diets of the month. 

At my recent Cat 5 bike race, I was clearly the fattest guy riding a bike. I'm 5'7" and 205 lbs, still obese by about 15 lbs. 

I've got a Triathlon coming up May 18th. I'm afraid when it's over, it's time to seriously curtail my training and focus on nothing but weight loss for several months. I hate to toss the fitness but just don't see any other way around it. I don't want to be fat and fit, just fit. 

Over the last year while I've made big increases in fitness (started running 1 year ago and bike speed is up) I'm at the exact same weight as this time last year.

My idea is to park the bike and cut my running from 3 miles every other day back to 2. I'm afraid to stop running as it was too tough to get where I am.

Anybody else have to take this approach? Anybody got a Magic Genie Wish left over you want to part with?  

So let try one more...

First great job on your progress!!!

I would say forget about the number on the scale and look at a picture of yourself from "back then" and compare it to now... you will  have your answer, you may weigh the same but in NO way are you the same.

Then write down everything you eat or drink for 2 weeks everything... Then reduce just one of them; you can even cycle between the items or you might see a trend and find your problem food.

I would not stop what you are doing I would focus on what you're consuming...

You can do this (YOU HAVE BEEN DOING THIS) and FYI those are some pretty respectable numbers you posted!!!

2013-04-16 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Congrats on your successes.. 51lbs is a great accomplishment.

Dont get to focused on the number on a scale. That is very deceiving. In weight there bone density, muscle, and fat.

I don't know your training regime but as a trainer I would say you are in a plateau. You have probably doing the same things for the past couple years, with little variation. You body adapts to exercise, and when it does gains are small, so things just become maintenance.

So my challenge to you is change your workout strategy.. add some weight training (circuit training).
this way you body has to learn something new, and benefits will come your way. Stay on top of your food choices, vary them too.. No one gets excited about eating the same thing over and over..

I tell clients and people at the gym i work, there's 4 quarters in a year. something should change in your workouts every 3 months.

Hope this helps some..
Keep up the good work

TRI HARD.
PM me if you need some assistance.
2013-04-17 9:52 AM

User image

Expert

It has been my experience that you can actually do both.  However, I would say focus on your weight loss but add your training as an aid to your weight loss.  Train to maintain fitness not necessarily improve it.  Don't go out and push to get faster or even go longer.  Just keep what you have worked so hard to achieve.

Then focus on your diet.  When I say diet I don't mean some plan you have read up on or trendy new eating plan.  I mean focus on what you are eating.  Vegetables and fruits in large portions, proteins, fats, carbs.  Really dial that in.

I think you will find as I have that you will perceive and actual fitness increase and your weight decreases.  That was my experience anyway because you aren't having to carry that extra 15-20 lbs. on a bike ride or run your speeds and pace might increase without any further effort on your part.

2013-04-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4703873

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
You have gotten some great advice here. You do not need to give up one to focus on the other. Okay, so the scale stopped moving. No big deal. You have made tremendous progress and should be proud. I suspect, as suggested, you just need to shake things up a bit and to focus more closely on your nutrition. Closely examine what you are eating and drinking and tweak it a bit and see what makes sense. Reassess and make some more changes. This is not an all or nothing proposition. It is not, lose weight or stay fit. Do both. But recognize that many folks think they can eat what they want because they are training 6 days a week. That does not work if you are not eating well.
2013-04-24 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Ponchatoula
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I'm going to maintain my current fitness level, which is good enough to have fun competing , and focus a bit more on the diet.  Perhaps if my current fitness level becomes my norm the hunger will become a bit more manageable. 

2013-04-24 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4713007

User image

Veteran

remout - 2013-04-24 8:23 AM Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I'm going to maintain my current fitness level, which is good enough to have fun competing , and focus a bit more on the diet.  Perhaps if my current fitness level becomes my norm the hunger will become a bit more manageable. 

You can do it!

I got a tip from someone years ago and it make s lots of sense...

If you’re "hungry" eat an apple if you don’t want to eat the "apple" you’re not hungry.

2013-04-24 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Lot's of good advice.  I have been struggling with the same issue.  I am benefitting from this discussion as well
2013-12-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: remout

I'm not new to BT, but just started reading the forums, to see where I can participate. Reading through this thread, I'm very curious to hear what kinds of changes you ended up making, and if you had success when you made them!

Margretta

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss or Increase Fitness, Pick One? Rss Feed