Pirhana Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 53s
Overall Rank = 23/374
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 0330hrs. I could hear the constant parade of boat trailers headed down to Wye Landing - unreal. 20oz water, banana. Nature called, I answered, then out the door to meet Dave at 0430hrs.
We got to Perryville a little before 0600, and there was almost nobody there, which I thought was weird because last year the place was packed. As I will discover, this year's race was quite different from last year's.
Event warmup:

Upon arriving at registration, we found out that the swim was cancelled due to a high bacteria count. That was kind of a bummer, but that's the way it goes. It plays to my strength, so my disappointment was somewhat tempered. After racking the bike, there was no need to do any swim warmup, so Dave and I headed down to the dock where the swim start/finish would have taken place. Quite a beautiful scene, looking out over the calm waters of the Susquehanna Flats. What a nice place for a swim.
My shin splints were killing me, so I did no warm up, except for a little run down to a portapot with no line. I did, however, walk around on the wet grass long enough to get my shoes and socks soaking wet - real bright.
Met a couple CMSers - Paul M, and Bill W. and chatted a bit until race time. In the process I lost my sunglasses. I was not looking forward to the prospect of a sunny day on the bike with bare eyeballs.
Run
  • 16m 54s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure about pacing for what was supposed to be a 5K to start things off. Plus I had done no run-bike bricks in the last couple months. So, my strategy was to just stay in the first quarter of my AG. I kept my eye on Paul and Bill, who charged out in front. I tried to keep my HR sub-threshold, and did for the first mile, but it crept up to Z4 soon after the first mile split. My first split was 5:30 - hmmm. This might not be a full 5K. Everything felt good, under control, I still had the front of the pack in sight. Mission accomplished.
What would you do differently?:

Throw a few run-bike bricks into the training mix.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

No wetsuit makes T1 easy.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 27 miles
  • 21.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't push too hard going out of the park, because 1. it's a narrow, curvey road, and 2. that's where I flatted last year. I caught up to Bill soon out of transition. I figured it would be a duel, like we had in Columbia, but I never saw him again once we left the park. In town, I averted disaster when a girl in front of me dropped her water bottle on a 90 deg turn, and it started rolling in front of my intended path. To make matters worse, she stopped and turned to go back and pick it up. Fortunately some emphatic screaming from me and the nearby volunteers got her to stop before I T-boned her. Scary.
For the first couple hills, I did not feel like pushing hard. My legs felt fine, but I didn't have the mental drive to stand up and make myself really uncomfortable. So, I sat down, geared down and took it easy. Along the way, something clicked, though. Maybe it was keeping momentum on the rollers, maybe it was checking mya avg speed and saying, "Hey, I can have a pretty decent bike leg." Whatever it was I started pushing hard and was having fun. The course kind of flew by. Before I knew it we were at Conowingo, and two of the more prominant features of the course - Rt 222, a beautiful, flat, pothole strewn, slightly descending stretch of road right along the Susquehanna River, and THE HILL, outside Port Deposit. To my shock and delight, Rt 222 had been recently paved. Oh that was fun. Just blow the doors off, and let it all hang out. It think I kept it between 24-27 mph on that stretch coming into Port Deposit. Caught up to Dave, and fortunately he didn't blow any snot rockets on me. Last year, the traffic in Port Deposit was horrendous. I got stuck behind cars just inching along with no where to pass. This year, it was a ghost town. Very cool to cruise through an old town like that at 23-24 mph. Last year there was a long, steep hill just outside Port Deposit. This year there was a long, steep hill just outside Port Deposit. That didn't change. I knew that was the last major climb on the course, so I spent a little energy on it, alternating between sitting and standing. The second of two significant descents on the course was soon after the hill. I looked at my speedometer and saw 42 mph, and realized I probably shouldn't be looking at the speedometer. Next thing I knew, I was back in Perryville. It didn't seem nearly as long this year. Ever since Rt 222, I had been going back and forth with a guy on a Litespeed. I passed him on the big hill and he passed me coming into the park. He had grey hair, so I hoped he couldn't run. Really didn't pay too much attention to how many bikes were in transition at the time, so I had no clue how I might be doing.

Not much. I felt pretty strong for the latter 2/3 of the bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Didn't stick around long enough to screw anything up.
Run
  • 33m 19s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

My shin splints were not going away. I thought they might calm down after I warmed up, but no dice. I kept to a just-past-uncomfortable pace, which was about 7:00/mi. I started picking off several other racers, then got picked off myself. The guy who passed me on the bike, I passed in T2, then he caught me around mile 1. I turned to him and asked, "You 40?" He shot me a puzzled look, "47". Cool, I didn't have to try to keep up with him. At some point during mile 2, I saw a green jersey ahead of me. There were a ton of these Team Z athletes there, so I couldn't be sure, but it looked a little different, like CMS green. "No way, that can't be Paul" Just in case I picked it up a little, and was narrowing the gap. Closing in on the turnaround, I had a positive ID. This surprised me because Paul is a very good cyclist, so I figured he had put a lot territory between himself and me. But, sure enough I give him a greeting at the turnaround and pass him at mile 3. Not long after that I pass Dave, who is on his way out. Now I need another mark. There was a girl, who came out of T2 just ahead of me and was running real strong, but now I was gaining a little ground. I passed her with a little under 1.5 miles to go (pity). As it turns out, she was the overall woman's winner and a Kona qualifier. Felt good about that. Pushed hard to the finish. Bettered last year's time by 1:30.

Not much. The shin splints bothered me on every other (rt) step that I took. I feel like I might have had a little more to give if it didn't hurt as much.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my...frisbee? Cheered Dave on as he finished. Drank, ate. On the way over to transition the results were being posted. I was shocked to see how high I had finished. I was not expecting much out of this race, so I was beside myself to get 1st in my AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shin splints, big gravel chunks, non-specific training.

Event comments:

Although disappointed about the swim being cancelled, there were improvements to the course, which made the bike better and safer. I would like to see some honest measurements on the run course.
There were just a little over half of the number of athletes participating this year compared to last year. So, while I'm happy about my lighthouse(trophy) I wonder how the swim (my weakest event) would have changed things, and I also know that it's a question of who shows up.

Last updated: 2006-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:54 | 02.4 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 75/374
Performance: Average
Course: Started off on a gravel path (large rocks - not good), then onto pavement. Straight out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:15:58 | 27 miles | 21.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/36
Overall: 25/374
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly, technical course. Big loop, starting in Perryville, then up to Conowingo, through Port Deposit and back to Perryville.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:19 | 04.75 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/36
Overall: 28/374
Performance: Good
HRM was malfunctioning course was measured wrong, so splits were kind of meaningless.
Course: Out and back. Gravel, then pavement, gravel, sidewalk, grass, you name it. Kind of a weird course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

2006-07-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #477608

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS!   1ST PLACE AG!  AWESOME JOB!

Sounds like the course wasn't exactly what I'd call easy either!  

Thanks for being an ispiration to us all.    Hope that you don't have Stress Fractures.  That could ruin your season Big Time!

Get those legs feeling better!  

CONGRATULATIONS!

2006-07-10 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Great RR, Glenn.  And again...Congratulations!

Be glad I didn't know when you were sneaking up behind me on the bike. 

2006-07-10 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
1st place in your AG!  Awesome!
2006-07-10 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on your 1st place AG!!!! Great job!
2006-07-10 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
1st in your AG, Congrats! Don't diminish it my friend you still beat all comers! Very, very nice!

2006-07-10 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Glenn,

Great race, you are smoking fast.  The way you started the report, I thought you had a bad day until I looked at your finish position.  Congratulations on the hardware. 

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Triathlon Rss Feed