General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with a HIM Program (swim and run issue) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-17 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Help with a HIM Program (swim and run issue)

Hello everyone,

I have recently started the journey to a HIM, and I am following this program

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=52

I am currently on my second week of training and for one of the run sessions it says this:

R: 40 minutes. 10 minute warm up, then do 20 second strides* before
returning to RPE 3 pace. Repeat strides every 5 minute until end of run.

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what strides are?

Also I was also wondering for the swims how long should i wait between sets?

Thanks in advance

2013-04-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4703827

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Subject: RE: Help with a HIM Program (swim and run issue)

Hi George,

Strides are comfortable sprints. Basically, you should run fast but still maintain form.

On the swimming question, it is going to depend on what the goal of the set is. Assuming you are swimming close to T-pace in the sets, I would rest 10-15 secs in sets of 100s, 5-10 secs in sets of 50s, 20 secs for 200, etc. If you are doing speed, you need to increase the rests, maybe even up to 30-40 secs for 100s (but by speed I mean you are pretty much sprinting).

One other thing, I would not recommend swimming the sets with a fixed rest, I would use a fixed interval. For this you are going to need to know your T-pace, which you can get from a time trial (average per 100m from a 1000m or 1500m time trial). If your T-pace is 1:45 and you want to do a set with 10 secs rest, you leave for each interval every 1:55, no matter when you made it to the wall.

Hope this helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with a HIM Program (swim and run issue) Rss Feed