General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Open Water Swim meet up at Twin Lakes Manvel,Tx Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-17 1:30 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Looking for Open Water Swim meet up at Twin Lakes Manvel,Tx

Guys

just like what the post says I am looking for open water meet-up at Twin Lakes Manvel,Tx

I believe the website is: http://www.scubapark.net/

Sincerely

Karl

2013-05-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

New user

South Texas
Subject: RE: Looking for Open Water Swim meet up at Twin Lakes Manvel,Tx
I haven't done any open water swims yet. Just a lot of time in the Pool here in Texas City. If you've found a group to swim there then I would love to join in.
2013-06-03 9:26 AM

Pearland, Ohio
I may be interested. What days of the week are you thinking of doing this? New to the Houston area and have been looking for a place to do OWS.
2013-06-03 9:37 AM
in reply to: cbquietfl66

User image

New user

South Texas
I have small kids so can't commit to weekdays. However, Saturday or Sunday mornings I'm open. I live only about 20 minutes away.
2013-06-03 9:01 PM
in reply to: victorduwon

Pearland, Ohio
Alright, we are out of town the next two weekends, but can probably meet up after that. I'll be in touch.
2013-06-25 11:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
sorry guys was not abe to follow-up on this post . i was looking for an instructor that teaches either at Lake 288 or Twin Lakes im suprised i coud not find one. The tri-club i joined only meets once a month for OWS at lake 288 which is most of the time i am working. I met an instructor up at NW side of town and she lives close to the lake and her OWS tri-group meets every week which is very friendly to my schedule. if you dont mind this far off to town lmk and ill be happy to give you the details.

cheers and goodluck guys!!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-06-25 11:30 PM

2013-06-26 10:20 AM

User image

New user

South Texas
Would you give me some more info about both groups? An OWS once a month would be great for me. I've also been looking for a Triathlon specific group to join.
2013-06-26 1:01 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by victorduwon

Would you give me some more info about both groups? An OWS once a month would be great for me. I've also been looking for a Triathlon specific group to join.

I am currently doing one on one swim teaching with sbrcoaches.com
They meet every sunday am at Townelakes Lake, Cypress,Texas.

The previous one i joined which i am not really keen to is
http://bicycleworldofhouston.com/
they only meet 2nd week of month for OWS.

I heard alot of good things about HRTC.
houstonracing.com

Goodluck man

Cheers!!!

2013-07-02 2:57 PM

User image

The group BAM (Bay Area MultiSport) does training etc there. They post on their facebook page when a group is heading to swim. Also, Powerhouse Racing in Pearland I think has a group that meets up to swim there as well.

I am working towards my first TRI in July but it is in a pool... not quite ready for open water swim just yet.
2013-07-02 3:24 PM
in reply to: LSUdreamer

User image

New user

South Texas
Strange how coincidence works. I participated in my first Triathlon on Sunday and met some BAM! members there. I just got my membership perhaps 3 hours ago!
2013-07-15 1:11 PM

New user

Houston
Houston Racing Triathlon Club (HRTC) has a monthly splash and dash at 288 that's awesome race day practice. It's very informal, starts around 6ish and is a 400m swim followed by a 1 mile run.

http://www.houstonracing.com/

With your HRTC membership you also get Friday night free admission to Lake 288 and there's always a good group of people there to chat with.

There's a splash and dash this Friday night (July 19th) followed by a cookout which is a great time to just talk to people and ask about coaching and OWS practices.

2013-07-27 6:37 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by victorduwon

Strange how coincidence works. I participated in my first Triathlon on Sunday and met some BAM! members there. I just got my membership perhaps 3 hours ago!

Vic

went to 288 lake by myself. The water is great and warm. The lake is Setup for Tri they have buoys 200 m apart. I was paranoid a first and did it with my wetsuit eventually second time i went there just did it with cap,goggles and tri shorts was able to knock off more than a mile. Just give it a try man and you will enjoy it.

Lastly man congrats on your first tri your times are great bro.

Cheers

Carl
2013-07-28 1:05 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
My wife, daughter and I have gone to 288 lake. It's great, as far as OW swimming goes. I like the little sandy 'beach' area it has....it's way better than some other spots. With as much rain as we've had the water should be high. I'm not sure if they still do it but HRTC used to meet out there on Fri nights for swimming, splash and dashes, and food. It's funny, my wife has a free membership at 288 lake for the year (a raffle prize) and my daughter has 6 free swims out there (another raffle prize) and we haven't gone all year. We need to get out there before the summer slips away.
2013-07-28 6:35 PM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

New user

South Texas
I think I've found a great place for OWS. Two actually. The first is Old River in Freeport. I swam there last thursday, with the race director for the Summertime Blues Triathlon. It was my first OWS and pretty awesome. The second is Twin Lakes, which is only 22 miles from my house, but I haven't been out there yet. Freeport is much more convenient since it is about 10 minutes from my job. Great for a quick swim after work. The only downside is the rock and oyster shells close to the shore. I cut my feet up pretty bad last week, but i'm taking it in stride (do you see what I did there?).

I just ordered a pair of Vibrams Five fingers Flow, to give myself a little protection in the water. Has anyone ever used these to swim in?

2013-08-17 2:39 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
met with a BT'er first time at lake 288

kinda embarassed he recognized me beging the only one with a bobbing head swimming around the lake. Both me and justin are swimming solo I guess thats the only way to go the mileage going.

2013-08-18 8:37 AM

User image

New user

South Texas
If thats what works to get the milage in... I have plans to do the same thing at Old River. To be safe I will stick close to the shore line. Since I am a relatively inexperienced OW swimmer, If I get in trouble, I want to be close to some relief. I've been reading a lot of discouraging things about swimming alone, so I'm taking all the precautions I can. I just had a race last weekend, and my swim was disappointing. I had only had one OWS before the race, and was over confident. The churning water, kicking-punching washing machine effect, and just general nervousness, all combined to leave me climbing out of the water nearly last in my wave (there was one guy behind me). I'm determined to better my skills here, but I don't want to take my safety for granted either. The only way to do that is to get the miles in training. Good luck to you. Be safe.

2013-08-18 5:18 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Vic

We have been posting here about a safety float when swimming solo:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

maybe you can get one since you mentioned you swim in a river. I believe rivers can have currents right.

I have been using the float in the link while swimming solo.

Cheers!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Open Water Swim meet up at Twin Lakes Manvel,Tx Rss Feed