General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ellisville/Hattiesburg area information Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-18 6:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
Subject: Ellisville/Hattiesburg area information

anyone in this area?  maybe even Laurel?  Hubby has been transferred there (no idea for how long) and was wondering if anyone had any information about it.  I know it'll be warm, probably warmer than Ruston, LA where I last lived before Pittsburgh.  Other than that, no clue.  None.  I'm hoping I'll not be the only spandex-wearing cyclist/obsessive runner around.

thanks for any help. 

k

2013-04-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4705092

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ellisville/Hattiesburg area information

Hi there, I'm in Hattiesburg. We have the Longleaf trace here that runs from the USM campus to Prentiss, about 40 miles one way. It's flat, 10 feet wide and well paved. There are also some mountain bike trails just off the trace near the Jackson road station. We have a pretty big group of tri people and cyclists and a large running population. For running you may want to check out the Pine Belt Pacers, and there is a triathlon email list, where people organize rides and open water swims. 

I'm always looking for people to train with, although I'm not terribly fast, but I am obsessed and spandex-wearing. As for temperature, it shouldn't be much different than Ruston. Temps in the summer generally are in the upper 90s, crazy humid and no rain. The best time to train is early morning, but even then it's sometimes pretty dang hot. 

Shoot me a message when you get here and get settled. We'll go for some rides or something. 

2013-04-18 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4705092

User image

Regular
The Sipp

We also have a huge Triathlon group in the Brandon/Madison area (about 1.5 hrs away). We ride the longleaf sometimes, but have tons of long rides around our area if you ever want a road trip. We have over 300 members with about 100+ of them pretty hardcore triathletes.

2013-04-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4705403

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

I will do that, thanks!  We'll be there by the end of June.  Depends on if we find a place to live.  Else I'll probably be camped out in Ruston until we do.  Moving stinks. 

Tiffanator - 2013-04-18 10:10 AM

Hi there, I'm in Hattiesburg. We have the Longleaf trace here that runs from the USM campus to Prentiss, about 40 miles one way. It's flat, 10 feet wide and well paved. There are also some mountain bike trails just off the trace near the Jackson road station. We have a pretty big group of tri people and cyclists and a large running population. For running you may want to check out the Pine Belt Pacers, and there is a triathlon email list, where people organize rides and open water swims. 

I'm always looking for people to train with, although I'm not terribly fast, but I am obsessed and spandex-wearing. As for temperature, it shouldn't be much different than Ruston. Temps in the summer generally are in the upper 90s, crazy humid and no rain. The best time to train is early morning, but even then it's sometimes pretty dang hot. 

Shoot me a message when you get here and get settled. We'll go for some rides or something. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ellisville/Hattiesburg area information Rss Feed