General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 6s
Overall Rank = 38/182
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/41
Pre-race routine:

Ranks are for men only.

Really nice to have a late start actually! Woke up normal time, ate normal breakfast and drove 30 mins to the race site. It was slow getting in because of the parking fee but once I was in there was time to set up, chat, visit the port-a-potty (no line!!), take a few pics, etc. Found Bill in transition and chatted a little. Then ran into Alan and said hi. The race started way late because all the swim bouys had to be repositioned since they blew into the woods in the storm last night!
Event warmup:

Short jog. Nothing else.
Swim
  • 29m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure why this took 29 mins...I swam 25 in the pool earlier in the week. Gotta believe it was long because I dont think I swam off course much. OK swim- just swam. Water felt perfect temp with the wetsuit. No worries there. I was off on my own a LOT of the swim- either I was swimming a direct route and everyone else was off, or vice versa! ha. Being a square though it doesnt make that much difference.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Push more? I kept it comfortable the whole swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Slow T1 for me. Struggled with the wetsuit and flubbed around a little. Was 9th in category and 39 in gender ranking on this so I guess not overly slow, but not fast either. Pretty OK for first one of the season though. This was sorta like the whole race- methodical and not in a hurry, but no mistakes.

Hurry it along a little.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 19.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Slow bike for me but I was freaked out at the thought of the hills on the run and wanted to try pace a little better on a ride and see how the run went, so I deliberately backed off the pace on the hills and took it easy (well, some of the hills were long enough that easy was relative because they were long and required effort to get up anyway). My front brake was rubbing right at the beginning of the ride but I fixed that, and then my back brake rubbed at the end! Fixed that on t he ride too. And when I went to drink the lid of my bottle flew off and I spilled accelerade all over me! Stick mess. I took a Gu Roctane at 30 or so mins and then a regular GU about an 1hr10 in. I think that worked perfectly mixed with a few gulps of water and some accelerade. Didn't feel malnourished in any way lol.

Push harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Methodical T2. Did a flying dismount and passed a guy there then just racked the bike, got my helmet off and shoes on and headed out. First in AG on this, and 4th overall! I wasn't in a hurry but just ticked through T2. Nice.

Nothing.
Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great from the start of this. No brick legs at all. Started nice and easy because I was really worried about the hills and still had B2B and how that run went (as well as every other OLY run I have done) fresh in my mind. I knew Bill was a bit behind me and then saw him coming in on the bike when I was about 0.6 miles in so I had a little headstart. Saw him several more times and although he looked strong he said he felt lousy, but was still closing the gap. Meanwhile I was running very much in control, worried about falling apart, but happy to not be. Miles were 8:15, 8:08, 7:44, 7:45, 7:44. I never fell apart of even contemplated needing to stop and walk. I tried to encourage some people that looked in pain along the way...normally thats me haha. When I got to the top of the final hill (mile 5) I opened it up and ran comfortably hard for the last mile and finished with a 6:45 mile. I could probably have opened it up sooner but I gotta say, it was so nice to feel good all run rather than hating it. This is a 3 min PR for a run in an OLY on a hilly course, but the flipside is that the weather was near perfect. Turns out I passed Bill's friend Greg Warren about 50 yards from the finish.

Open it up sooner to cut some time, but very happy with this, and happy to be feeling really good today- no pain, no real fatigue. Good to go this week on training!
Post race
Warm down:

Milled about. Chatted to Bill and Greg and then got a bagel with hummus. Delicious!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Worry about the hills and how bad they were going to be! Not pushing harder.

Event comments:

I liked this race. I think the swim was long and it started late but thats OK. Bike was challenging but nothing too bad, and the run was nice, inside the park and quite scenic. Part of me liking the run was that I felt good. I imagine those hills would be horrible on cramping quads!!

Last updated: 2013-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/41
Overall: 39/182
Performance: Average
Suit: QR fullsuit
Course: Sorta weird shaped square
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:15 | 26.2 miles | 19.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 57/182
Forgot the HRM so no HR data
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Winding rollers with some decent climbs and a nasty wind at times. A couple of gusts knocked me sideways a little. Some of the roads were a little rough and my bike was ratting but nothing terrible. Very pretty ride actually. This ride is a lot like riding in Apex- solid hills and very few actual flat bits.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:30 | 06.2 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/41
Overall: 48/182
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills- out and back 2X. Really liked the course- scenic route and it was nice to see people coming and going.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-21 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam

2013-04-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4709310

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam
solid outing. You know my thoughts already, but hey good job again.
2013-04-21 9:41 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Killed this race, bro! You were worried for nothing! 3 min PR?! Outstanding! 

Going to be looking over my shoulder at our next race!

2013-04-22 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Excellent steady work there Louis.  Beating Greg is no small accomplishment; I last did it at Pinehurst '08 about the same spot as you did Saturday.  He puts so much time on me on the swim.  I wanted if nothing else for it to come down to a drag race for us, and I'm sorry I didn't offer you any more competition.  Raleigh will be fun!  Great job.
2013-04-24 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Great race! It looks like it is all clicking for you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed