General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon in 26 days and I am a headless chicken Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-23 12:07 PM

Subject: First Triathlon in 26 days and I am a headless chicken

hi,

I will be doing my first triathlon in 26 days (Sprint triathlon in Lutterworth - Leicestershire - England).  I am 39. I am 13st at the moment (with a body more designed for rugby than cycling)

I feel like a busy fool at the moment in terms of my preparation.  I have listed my actions to date / planned below.  any gems of wisdom would be appreciated.  

Swimming - my favoured area - I am happy with this - best time for 400m is 7.15 minutes 

Cycling - my biggest fear - I am picking up my bike this weekend (giant defy bottom of the range).  I have spent as much time as possible on the spin bike but I have not got a clue how this will convert to road speed (esp given my weight).  I did 18k in 35 minutes at the w/e (on level 13 of a spin bike - wattage at 220 to 240).  

Running - best time for 5k is 25m (so no Mo Farah!).  I have tried "bricking" training sessions to practice the change and also 5k runs back to back to train for endurance.  I have had a gait analysis and now have the right shoes for me (so I am told).

other things I have done. . . .

I had my first deep tissue massage and have two more planned before the race (but with none the week before)

I have a pair of tri shorts which were great in the pool / on the bike.  I have not run in them yet (only 500m as a warm down from the bike and these felt fine).

I am going to practice the transitions at my gym and also go over the cycle / run route before hand (18k cycle and 5k run).

any help /advice on a sensible training program for the next 26 days would be appreciated!!!

Lee

2013-04-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4711704

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: First Triathlon in 26 days and I am a headless chicken
You sound pretty ready. If your swim is in the open water just make sure you get some ows practice. Otherwise, just practice riding outside, using clips if you have them, cornering at current speeds, hitting potholes, following a line, passing someone, etc
2013-04-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4711857

thanks for responding 

the swim is in the pool this time (but I am keen to do an open water event - just to make the swim more of a challenge).

re getting out on the road - I will be using clips (and practising lots getting out of them!), as for the other aspects, that is what I am most nervous about (aside from passing, as this may be an optimistic thing to practice).  

I dread having using my brake (not through fear of crashing), but through the lost effort that entails.  

Despite the negatives, I am very excited also.   thanks again

Lee Smile

2013-04-23 3:13 PM

New user
Akron

You sound very prepared.  Get on the make and get comfortable but don't make any large changes between now and race day.

My biggest mistake regarding my first tri, in open water, was not warming up.  The mix of not warming up, nerves and the new experience took its toll on me.  My swim was a disaster.  Most could have been avoided with a few minutes of warmup.  You sound more prepared than most.  You'll do great.

2013-04-23 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Sounds like you are ready to go out & enjoy! Maybe do your own "tri" at slow speed this week....Practice a few transitions & what you will eat and when before your race..but sounds like you are ready to get out there & do it!Good luck!
2013-04-24 3:37 AM

Many thanks for all the responses, advice and encouragement. 

Especially regarding warming up.  I was intending to have a minimal warm up (through fear of later exhaustion) but as I am hoping for a decent swim (relatively), I will put more time aside.

thanks again

Lee

2013-04-25 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL

Your going to finish well. Cutting it close with the bike.... That said I rode the trainer a lot and hit 20 miles my first time out in the spring. Good Luck!

My first is Sunday and I am in state of panic........ I have trained hard and am in good shape but am running a 1/2 marathon Saturday.

2013-04-25 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I'm 40 and have been training for about 3 months now and all of your times seem better than mine and I feel great going into my race this weekend.  Be happy with your numbers, to me they seem awesome for somebody getting ready to do their first race.  Enjoy
2013-05-04 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Dear ex-headless chicken and soon to be Triathlete,

You sound like you're doing fine, so DON'T PANIC.  Get some outside riding on your new bike and get a feel for the handling of it etc, test out your clipless pedals (putting your bike on a trainer is really good for doing this, or you can lean it against a wall and keep it stationary and repeatedly clip in/out).  Don't panic if you do have a few 0 mph tumbles, we ALL do it!  Just swear, grimace, smile, laugh, get up, and get back on your bike.   

This is your first tri, so don't worry about times and just enjoy the experience, as it's something you'll always remember, hopefully with joy.  You're about the same weight that I was when I did my first tri, and I got around with absolutely no problems, so don't sweat it.  The best advise I was given before my first tri, was to sit up (during the bike ride, not the swim!), enjoy the scenery, chat with people, thank all the volunteers, remember to smile, lap up the encouragement from other athletes, and save a huge grin for the finishing line.  He was sooooo right and I had a blast (despite the cold and pouring rain)!  

Good luck and HAVE FUN out there!

2013-05-05 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
I agree, don't panic. You will be as ready as you will be. Just relax and let everything come to you and you will be fine. You have put in time and effort and will be rewarded for that with a good race. Enjoy the experience and please post a race report!
2013-05-11 3:38 AM

User image

Regular
NSW

Hi,

does sound like you are ready. The best advice that was given to me about clip in shoes is to practice. I went to a local oval and practice for awhile (i am not very co-ordinated) at clipping in and out of them. Still not a fast as some, but getting there.

Wish I could run as fast as you though!

Good Luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon in 26 days and I am a headless chicken Rss Feed