General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me understand proper gear choice with intervals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-24 8:53 PM

User image

Subject: help me understand proper gear choice with intervals

Hey Folks,

Today was my first long ride outside (we had frost on the ground 2 days ago). I wanted to establish a sort-of baseline to work from and rode a relatively flat course for 90min with a sustained average 12mph. The 90min felt like zone 1 maybe 2 training. My tush hurt the worst. Obviously I need some T.I.T.S. to get my body gets acclimated to cycling, but aside from that I want to do some intervals on my short cycle days and am unsure how to structure the ride and which gears to choose.

I don't have a PM/HRM/cadence so keeping it really simple, my questions are:

How long should the interval be for and how much rest afterwards.

(X)seconds spin fast/(Y)sec rest? for (Z)min?

Do I use a high gear and lower cadence to make my legs work harder for the duration of the interval? Is it better to keep the same gear just increase the cadence?

Working from a 12mph base, should the intervale be done at something like 16mph or 20mph?

Oh and while I understand spin classes aren't the same as riding outside/trainer, I have an idea of what a 'comfortable' cadence is for myself verses a sprinting high cadence that hurts.

Thanks for the thoughts!

2013-04-25 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4714144

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: help me understand proper gear choice with intervals

Cadence is not an overly important part of the equation.  Doing more work is.  If you are comfortable with your cadence, then shift to a harder gear and (mostly) maintain your cadence.  You may choose to do some intervals at varying cadences (some lower/some higher) to both get more comfortable at a range of cadences (helpful for varying terrain or other changing conditions) and to help find your own personal 'comfortable' cadence (which may, in fact, vary depending on the intensity you are riding).

Without an HRM or PM, you'll have to rely on perceived exertion.  You can (and should) do different kinds of intervals.  Long ones at something you might guess is z3/z4 (with short rest:work periods if doing more than 1) or shorter ones at z4/z5+ (with longer rest:work periods).

Hope that helps some.

2013-04-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4714144

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: help me understand proper gear choice with intervals
For your tush - are you using the stock saddle that came with your bike? If so, throw it out or sell it. Nearly everyone gets rid of the saddle the first thing they do when they purchase a bike. I'm assuming that you're a gal, consider getting Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow, Specialized Jett or Ruby, or Terry Butterfly. Your butt will thank you. :-)

While investing in getting a cadence/speed sensor and HRM, you'll have to rely on your RPE There's plenty of good deals out there for the older Garmins. I have Garmin 305 and it still works perfectly. Does the job. :D You don't *need* it right now, but consider getting it for Christmas.

There's really a LOT of different types of intervals you can do. It also depends on what is your goal.

Doing high gear and lower cadence to "make your legs" work is not necessary for all interval work. You want to mix it up with lower gear/higher cadence as well.

Intervals can be done at any speed avg. I don't know your history, but anything with hard intervals should be held off until you got a good base, not speed. Your speed on the road will improve by doing good intervals (not hard/complicated ones).

Oh - and IGNORE the speed on the trainer...it is not 100% accurate. :D

Try these:

#1 WU for 10 min (nice good easy spin to get your legs warmed up)
2 min moderate spin (go one or two gears harder) with 1 min easy. Do this 3 times.
Easy spin for 5 min.
4 min moderate spin with 30-45 sec easy. Do this 3 times.
Easy spin for 5 min
2 min moderate spin with one or two gears harder than previously with 1 min easy. Do this 3 times
4 min moderate spin with one or two gears harder than previously with 30-45 sec easy. Do this 3 times.
WD 10-15 minutes with easy spin.

#2 WU 10 min
5 x 1 min high cadence (100+ RPM) with 1 min Easy
Easy for 5 min
5 x 1 min high cadence (100+ RPM) with 1 min Easy
WD 15 min

So as you can see, not every intervals has to be "spin fast". Some are high cadence work, some are leg strengthening work, some are just gut busting cardio work. Depends what you're looking for!

Hope I was of help. When you're on the road, and you want to be faster, try to push it a little bit more each time. It will be tiring, but over time you will notice your overall speed improving, and your endurance will improve. Join group rides (that's how I got faster!).

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me understand proper gear choice with intervals Rss Feed