General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Mother of Four Trying to Get Back In Shape Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-27 8:10 PM

Subject: Mother of Four Trying to Get Back In Shape

I am a 43 year old mother of four who wants to regain control of my weight, health, and athleticism.  I used to be an avid runner and bike rider years ago and after having children, career, and stress, I let all of that go.  I have always loved the challenge that comes with running and got started again last year in August of 2012 running in the evenings.  I was doing very well and once again the stress of life set me back.  I really enjoy running, keeping a pace and meeting my goals.  I am trying to start again and thought that I could incorporate running and cycling since I used to be good at it.  I know that if I get back into shape, I can do it.  I have a pool at home, but I never use it or join my family when they do.  I am going to make a commitment to incorporate swimming into my regimen and later on try a triathlon.  I want to start sign up for a duathlon once I feel confident enough that I can make it. 

I need support from fellow beginners or experts who can motivate me and keep me focused. 

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, or feedback!  Thank you!

Edited by ramrod71 2013-04-27 8:10 PM

2013-04-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4717487

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Mother of Four Trying to Get Back In Shape
Welcome! Working out with two kids is a challenge so my hats off to you with four. Sounds like you are well on your way. Have you run a 5k since you started? I found it to be good motivation.

Swimming has been a great alternate when my legs need a test. Have you bought a bike?
2013-04-29 1:10 AM
in reply to: #4717501

Thank you!  Yes, I did a local 3K to start and 1 5k several months ago.  I did okay, but the stress of life took over.  I have since then kept running, but not consistently.  I have started again and am working towards two 5ks in June.  I bought a starter bike and took it out for a ride yesterday and felt off balance at first,  very strange.  It's been years since I have been on a bike and didn't know this would happen.  I rode the same 5k route that I run and got reacquainted with bike riding.  I ran this evening and felt pretty good.  I almost got into the pool earlier today, but still have my reservations.  I will try tomorrow evening.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!  

2013-04-29 6:56 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Welcome to BT! Training with children can be challenging.  It seems like the kids always have something going on.  But it can be done.  Good luck on your journey!
2013-05-01 2:52 AM

Hi..check out my post "newbie mums read this !" I'm a mum of 6..i did it so u must can, too..Do u hv a training plan already? Print it and stick it on your fridge..that way, the whole family can see your training going-ons, and maybe even run/swim/bike with u! Don't fret when u skip a few days' worth of training due to kids being sick or whatever, that's inevitable so let it go! Just focus on going on forward okay?I also keep a copy of my training plan in my car so when i find myself with extra time (e.g. while waiting for my kids to come out from their classes) i'd go for a run as per the plan. Sometimes i swap days and train as i see fit..i wouldn't swim on a rainy day but running would be just as great, or i use that day to stretch.Be flexible with your training, cut some slack, or u'll burn out.And while u r training..swim/bike/run your stress away! -syikin-(Courage to Finish)
2013-05-01 6:16 AM

Welcome!

I'm a 43 year old mom of 4 also. My tendency is to pick a race out of my comfort zone and sign up- then train for it. Typically the race is a disaster but I am improving.

I plan out my week- kids activities, if I need a sitter to help with transport for overlapping events, meals (with sports I often serve one quick meal at 4pm and another at 8pm) and my exercise.

This year my two youngest are in school for 2.5 hours everyday and it has made a huge difference! I even stopped voluntering in the classroom so often so I can get my s/b/r in.

I think I'm a better parent when I am well exercised- both my spouse and my children see the difference in my attitude and energy so I don't feel (as much) guilt about taking that time for me.

How old are your kids? Do you work outside the home?

2013-05-08 11:30 PM
in reply to: #4718482

Thank you!  I am still running and bicycling during the evenings.  I have yet to try to swim.  I am excited to run in 2 5ks coming in June.  I am nervous, but yet excited.

Appreciate the positive feedback!

2013-05-08 11:34 PM
in reply to: #4734310

I have four children:  a 15 year old, 8 year old, 6 year old and a 5 year old.  I am a school administrator and work long hours.  I am usually tired, but the excercise has helped keep my energy level at a higher level.  I really admire all of the dedication all of you have and how you stick to your plan.  I will take all of the advice an use it to help keep me focused.

Edited by ramrod71 2013-05-08 11:34 PM
2013-05-09 6:05 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
Just ease into it, and you will find that everything just falls into place. I am 41, have 3 kids (11,9, and 3) and started the process 2 years ago having never run apart from being on the netball court or hockey field. I also work FT in Health Service Management, so have a busy job. The biggest thing I found is despite exercising, I am no more tired than when I did nought, I also don't seem to have any less time, I just get up earlier and fit more in.
2013-05-09 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4734312

User image

Veteran

Welcome to BT!

Have you thought about joining one of the mentoring groups? Those are at the top of the forums page. It's a good way to keep yourself accountable and feel that you are part of a group training toward a goal.

I also have my ups and downs when it comes to motivation or "fitting in" the training, when work and family get really busy. It really helps to share with others, whether in real life or virtually!

2013-05-14 2:35 PM

You absolutely must go to swimbikemom.com and read her blog.  She (Meredith Atwood) is amazing. Her blog is a "must read." Earlier this year she published her book (Triathlon For the Everywoman) and it is far and away the best beginner's tri book I have seen.  (The information is on the website; book available on Amazon.) It will answer every question, including those you have not even thought to ask.

Meredith is an attorney with two young kids who was fat and unhappy 2 or 3 years ago.  Now she is 40 days from competing in an Ironman triathlon.  The most inspiring and hilarious person I have encountered in my tri travels.

2013-05-27 6:22 PM
in reply to: flossybach

You are absolutely right! I have to stop making excuses. I am going to try the early morning workout - it's probably the only time I can get some quality time to workout. Since I have started working towards a tri, I feel more energetic and motivated to do other things than just come home and crash.

I appreciate your words and will ease into it!

2013-05-27 6:25 PM
in reply to: abric1

I did look into this and I found that her past situation matched my current state of mind. I have been working towards my first tri and have found that it has taken my constant focus on the stress life and has refocused it somewhere else. I also read Slow, Fat Triathlete and it has helped me realize that I don't have to be skinny and perfect to get out there!

Thanks for your advice!
2013-05-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: melanfi

Thanks! I will look into that. Yes, it does get lonely not knowing anyone around me who wants to accomplish this goal.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Mother of Four Trying to Get Back In Shape Rss Feed