BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-10-30 5:34 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed

All checked in at PCB!!  I love the atmosphere of an IM!  Although it is even odd by my standards to see most people wearing compression clothing and showing up to meet friends for dinner wearing a Garmin 910!!

The weather looks great so far!!

2013-10-31 7:36 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Good luck out there Ken! and HAVE FUN!!
2013-10-31 8:03 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen Good luck out there Ken! and HAVE FUN!!

Thanks Brian!! I appreciate the support.

Bib number is 2588 if anyone is watching!

2013-10-31 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by kenj

I'll be checking in on you and hope you have a fantastic day! I don't think you mentioned it so I'll go ahead and ask if there are any specific goals you want to share for your fourth (?) Iron race?
2013-10-31 11:19 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I'm up at the witching hour on Halloween to play the fastest finger contest. I think it's kind of cruel to open registration at this time. What kind of triathlete is up at midnight on a weekday? Registered for next year's SOS triathlon. It's nice to have next year's plan set, but now I really have to work on the swimming. This is the mult-leg race where I managed to get passed 4 times by the same people in the 4 swims this year...
2013-11-01 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by bdenehy I'm up at the witching hour on Halloween to play the fastest finger contest. I think it's kind of cruel to open registration at this time. What kind of triathlete is up at midnight on a weekday? Registered for next year's SOS triathlon. It's nice to have next year's plan set, but now I really have to work on the swimming. This is the mult-leg race where I managed to get passed 4 times by the same people in the 4 swims this year...

Congrats on getting in Bill!! I know that is a tough one and one I would never get in as I can't stay awake that late! 

2013-11-01 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TGIF!!

Going to lay low today, weather isn't good but it is supposed to improve overnight and be downright pleasant tomorrow.  Downside to that is I won't have the weather to blame LOL!! 

2013-11-01 11:18 AM

User image

Good Luck tomorrow Ken.

I have a 3 hour indoor bike/run/core workout tomorrow. Then the Chicago Blackhawks visit my Winnipeg Jets at 2:00pm. When I get home I will check in on you, unless you are already done by then. Either way have a great race.

Dwayne
2013-11-01 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I'll be watching!!!! Good luck Ken and have a great time!!!!!!!
2013-11-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by gadgetlaw

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and good wishes! I finished my race in 13:25 which I was super excited about. I will post more details in the next few days. Off to limp to bed now!!

Karen

Congrats Karen - that is a fantastic time!!!!!!!
2013-11-01 11:52 AM
in reply to: ramiedd

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by ramiedd

13:14 at the end of the day and I could not be happier. More details later.

Awesome!!!!!!

2013-11-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Veteran
Almost a week since the race and I feel great. This whole week has been busy so I have done nothing but work and drink beer. It is amazing how comfortable I felt during the entire race. I looked at my garmin data and my heart rate average was 144 on the bike. I learned that if you fuel yourself and pace right, you can go a long way.
2013-11-01 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Good luck this weekend Ken, I will be tracking you..
2013-11-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by RunningJoke

I am a half ironman!! (Which half? I'm not sure).

It was a ROUGH WEEK. My friend/training partner who talked me into signing up for this thing sent me a message Sunday night. Her husband had been involved in bad car accident and was in the hospital. He was OK, but had lots of broken bones. She was out of the race.

After visiting in the hospital and making sure he was really all right (does that make me less of an a$$hole?) I let myself feel disappointed about the race. It wasn't just moral support from my friend I didn't want to go without, it was a 12 hour drive we were making to Austin--each way. I just didn't see doing it safely on my own.

So I didn't look at my bike. I didn't run. I didn't swim. I just let it go.

And then Thursday night, after her husband was settled at the rehab hospital and she realized she had a couple other family members to take care of kids, my friend said she might be able to go after all.

WHOOOO-HOOOO!

So we went! And we had the most ideal conditions possible. Everything just went very well. The swim was great. I swam a little wide of the buoys to avoid the congestion, but I was relaxed almost the whole time. The bike course was a lot more crowded than I am used to, but it was OK. I realized at about 30 miles I was having such a good time, I probably needed to buckle down and work a bit harder. Definite negative split. I was ready to get off the bike at mile 56, and happy to start running. I have never experienced crowd support like we had on that run. The run course is 3 loops, and each time you get back to the beginning the signs and the cheers were just awesome. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time. Even after I took the first loop a little too fast and had quite a bit of IT band pain for the next 2 loops, I didn't care.

What an experience. I'm not sure I'll sign up for another 70.3 next year, or even another year. And I have NO desire to do a full ironman. The time committment for training was really significant for me, and I don't enjoy the training nearly as much as the racing (ah, sprint races, I can do them every weekend). Also, I now realize how horrible it can be to put in all the training and be sidelined at the last second by something out of your control. But I cannot tell you how happy I am to have done it this time, and I probably wouldn't have without the encouragement and help from you all! So thank you very, very much.

Congrats !!! I am glad you were able to race, would of been hard not to with all the work you put in!!!
2013-11-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Good luck and have fun Ken! I'll be watching!
2013-11-02 8:43 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Hey, I just checked IM live.  Ken finished in 12:15 or so.  Splits look pretty good.

2013-11-02 11:03 PM

User image

Congratulations Ken. 12:18:15. Nice PR. Knocked off 22 minutes.

It must have been a fast day, the top 3 men all went sub 8 hours.

I look forward to your race report.

Dwayne
2013-11-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Thanks all, I'll do up a formal race report when I get home but overall pleased to get a PR on the course and for the distance. The swim went ok considering the water conditions. I do not like the new swim start as I think it makes the contact worse. The bike conditions were ideal for a good race, what little wind there was produced a headwind for the first 1/3 so it was better to deal with early. I am very happy with the 5:30 bike split considering between 3 portapotty breaks plus special needs I am guessing I could have approached 5:22 or so. The run started off ok, but GI issues surfaced on the 2nd loop. So I lost some time walking there, may 40 minutes if I had to guess, but who knows. Something else might have popped up if it wasn't the GI issues. Thanks for the support and I am glad that every member of this group had a great season. Thanks to my friend Judi (Queenzipp) for updating my time and you all wish her well in her inaugeral marathon in Richmond in 2 weeks!!!
2013-11-04 2:09 AM

User image

Congratulations, Ken!!!!
2013-11-04 4:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Thanks all, I'll do up a formal race report when I get home but overall pleased to get a PR on the course and for the distance. The swim went ok considering the water conditions. I do not like the new swim start as I think it makes the contact worse. The bike conditions were ideal for a good race, what little wind there was produced a headwind for the first 1/3 so it was better to deal with early. I am very happy with the 5:30 bike split considering between 3 portapotty breaks plus special needs I am guessing I could have approached 5:22 or so. The run started off ok, but GI issues surfaced on the 2nd loop. So I lost some time walking there, may 40 minutes if I had to guess, but who knows. Something else might have popped up if it wasn't the GI issues. Thanks for the support and I am glad that every member of this group had a great season. Thanks to my friend Judi (Queenzipp) for updating my time and you all wish her well in her inaugeral marathon in Richmond in 2 weeks!!!

Congrats Ken! I'm looking forward to your RR. I confess that I was a little worried for you at the beginning of the day. Then I thought the IM site was just slow in updating when it showed your solid swim time. I'm embarrassed to say it took me half the day to realize that the the section of FL you were in is in the Central Time Zone... killer bike split, pr, and a great way to end a two-IM season.
2013-11-04 4:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
It was great sharing with and keeping up with you all throughout the season. And thrilled everyone stayed safe and successful. I don't know what the off season holds, but for me it will be unstructured (not that I was too structured before..) until January.

This weekend might be my largest volume weekend, but just for fun. Heading to Vegas for four days, so between the sun, mild weather, and the fact that my buddies will be glued to 100 big screens of football that I don't watch, should get in a good amount of riding and running in the desert.

Happy training!

2013-11-04 6:21 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Thanks Bill and Jaime!!  I probably should have mentioned the time difference.  A couple of friends from home had the same problem!!

Sadly, it is time to pack up the RV and head home this morning.  It has been a great journey and a fun trip, I hate to see it end.  Good news is, the time from I never ever want to do another IM again, to I can improve here, here,  and there, lets get training was reached in record time!!  Already looking forward to next season!  But time to heal first as walking is stilll an art!

We can keep this going if anyone wants to chat or give it a rest till the next one comes out!  Up to you guys!

2013-11-04 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Congrats Ken! Lot's hard work paid off right there!

2013-11-04 7:51 AM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Veteran
Great job everyone and thanks for the on-going advice.

This year was an interesting year for me as a person and certainly as an athlete. For the first time, I signed up for an event 11 months in advanced and kept training consistently. I was glad to find balance in my life with training and it seems as if I found the sweet spot on my weekly training time. I talked to a few people at the race who trained a lot more than I did and still finished within an hour of my time. So loosing 3 to 5 hours a week with my family or other important stuff to gain an hour in one day is just not something I am prepared to do in the near future.... (at least until my kids are older)

With that in mind, I believe I am going to concentrate on the 70.3 races for next year. My wife is on board with that which is important. Most likely look at a May or June race. Raleigh 70.3 or Rev 3 Knoxville and then the Beach 2 Battleship Half.

I had a lot of struggles on my Rev 3 race and would love to go back and knock 45 minutes off the 6:30 I had last year. Lots of nutrition and hydration mistakes and a flat tire.

My focus during the off season is going to be on overall fitness and core strength. However, one thing I want to look at is training for a half marathon so that I can improve my running. I have a friend who was a college distance runner and he believes he can really help me improve my running. This would carry me through the 70.3 races (I hope)

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer questions and Ken for leading us in this group.
2013-11-04 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Great job Ken! I happen to jump online at the right time - checked the live feed and saw you cross the finish line !
Someone just posted a video of the swim start on You Tube - looks ridiculous! Just total chaos!

Just getting back into the swing of regular workouts. Runs have started back up and so far so good with the PF. Bringing the bike in this week - too cold for me! Mostly focusing on building a solid base up again and really trying to focus on nutrition - gained 5 lbs since IM in Aug - not bad but not good either.

Sticking with local smaller races for 2014 and with a eye on either Lake Placid or return to Tremblant for 2015.

Glad everyone had a good season and seems like we all accomplished a lot!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63