BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-11-04 9:46 PM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed
Awesome job Ken! All the hard work you put in, you deserve that PR!!!!!!

2013-11-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: robingray_260

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Not sure what the next few months (or even next season) holds for me. I have been feeling pretty blah and unmotivated since my marathon. Can't even seem to get the RR written up for it. Maybe more time under the happy light, though it seems early for the seasonal affective disorder (SAD) to rear its ugly head.
2013-11-06 4:58 PM

User image

I've been enjoying my time off of unstructured training, reading/thinking about next year. Our local point series won't be happening, which has been my major motivator for the past 2 years, so I'm feeling a little lost. I've been doing a bunch of reading about building your aerobic base (very different than my typical training) and thinking about trying an ultra trail race, maybe a 50 K. Being on the trails makes me so happy, and it's fun to plan something new. I'll wait and see what the local race director is cooking up in place of the point series and then decide, I guess. I had a great time at my half ironman but don't yet feel the need to sign up for another one.

Jaime
2013-11-07 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by robingray_260 Not sure what the next few months (or even next season) holds for me. I have been feeling pretty blah and unmotivated since my marathon. Can't even seem to get the RR written up for it. Maybe more time under the happy light, though it seems early for the seasonal affective disorder (SAD) to rear its ugly head.

I find that taking the vitamin D helps when I spend more time inside than out!  I hope you get rid of the blahs Robin!!

2013-11-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by RunningJoke I've been enjoying my time off of unstructured training, reading/thinking about next year. Our local point series won't be happening, which has been my major motivator for the past 2 years, so I'm feeling a little lost. I've been doing a bunch of reading about building your aerobic base (very different than my typical training) and thinking about trying an ultra trail race, maybe a 50 K. Being on the trails makes me so happy, and it's fun to plan something new. I'll wait and see what the local race director is cooking up in place of the point series and then decide, I guess. I had a great time at my half ironman but don't yet feel the need to sign up for another one. Jaime

The good news is you have time to wait and figure it out.  I keep thinking an ultra would be a good goal, but I keep signing up for IM's.  Good luck Jaime!!

2013-11-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Feeling pretty good all things considered.  After two tries I have the race report done.  You can find it here!

2013-11-08 9:27 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hey fellow gear junkies!

I've had the chance to play around with the Wahoo Kickr for a bit now. All I can say is WOW! I'm pretty sure this thing has what it takes to take training to new levels. I'm WAY more than happy with it, and I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. I've used computrainers before, and this thing just has soooooo much more to offer, and just fits so much better for personal use. Come to think of it, it fits much better for group training too! Instead of a long review I'll just outline pro's and cons. Like everything it's not "perfect". But I would say it's the best on the market right now and probably the best value and bang for your buck in training.

PROS:
-Super heavy duty solid unbreakable feel product
-quiet- although pitch is somewhat bothersome. But the decibals is not bad. I'll explain more in cons
-ERG MODE!!!! finally a product besides computrainer with the ability to do workouts in ERG mode. No cheating!
-endless and easy integration with other training products and logging.
-no more need for training wheel or tires!
-apps apps and more apps- just so many options like trainer road, imobileintervals, kinomap, segments, etc and all take advantage of ERG mode!
-more to come! there is more stuff coming out all the time improving an already great spread of apps and training opportunities
-price! waaaaay cheaper than comparable products

CONS
-Heavy. It's heavier than most trainers. It's like my KK rock n roll, however, folds up and tucks away much much nicer
-pitch, it's quiet but the pitch is a little bothersome to my dogs.
-learning curve. with so much available it can be cumbersome to learn all the capable possibilities

Ken, I know you wanted to know about this thing. Hopefully, I answered some of your questions. Trust me, there is a lot more I can tell you about this. So if you have any questions you have my number. Shoot me a text and we can set up a time to talk!

2013-11-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Originally posted by MeulenHey fellow gear junkies! I've had the chance to play around with the Wahoo Kickr for a bit now. All I can say is WOW! I'm pretty sure this thing has what it takes to take training to new levels. I'm WAY more than happy with it, and I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. I've used computrainers before, and this thing just has soooooo much more to offer, and just fits so much better for personal use. Come to think of it, it fits much better for group training too! Instead of a long review I'll just outline pro's and cons. Like everything it's not "perfect". But I would say it's the best on the market right now and probably the best value and bang for your buck in training.PROS:-Super heavy duty solid unbreakable feel product-quiet- although pitch is somewhat bothersome. But the decibals is not bad. I'll explain more in cons-ERG MODE!!!! finally a product besides computrainer with the ability to do workouts in ERG mode. No cheating!-endless and easy integration with other training products and logging. -no more need for training wheel or tires!-apps apps and more apps- just so many options like trainer road, imobileintervals, kinomap, segments, etc and all take advantage of ERG mode!-more to come! there is more stuff coming out all the time improving an already great spread of apps and training opportunities-price! waaaaay cheaper than comparable productsCONS-Heavy. It's heavier than most trainers. It's like my KK rock n roll, however, folds up and tucks away much much nicer-pitch, it's quiet but the pitch is a little bothersome to my dogs. -learning curve. with so much available it can be cumbersome to learn all the capable possibilitiesKen, I know you wanted to know about this thing. Hopefully, I answered some of your questions. Trust me, there is a lot more I can tell you about this. So if you have any questions you have my number. Shoot me a text and we can set up a time to talk!
Thanks for the feedback Brian, I will see if we can connect next week. I didn't know that you could use it in ERG mode and that was what I was looking to do with the compu trainer. My dog doesn't come down in the basement where I have mine set up too often, hopefully it won't annoy her too much. I will shoot you a text when I have some free time next week! Thanks again for the info!
2013-11-10 5:48 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I ordered the Wahoo, I imagine it will be here within the next week to 10 days depending on UPS. 

2013-11-10 2:28 PM

User image

Well, I was inspired by Ken so I signed up for IM Whistler and IM Lake Tahoe. 8 weeks apart. It should be an interesting spring and summer of training.

We were in the fourth week of a 4 week training block and we did a max HR test yesterday on the bike. Start at 20 km/hr, increase speed 2 km/hr each minute. Take the HR at each interval and the RPE scale as well. Max HR was 201. I am around 205 for the run. It still seems so high for a 45 year old. Next week we start playing around with intervals and different HR zones.

I am planning on getting power this year and I would like to get a feel of what people are using. I was looking at PowerTap, but then you can't really have a set of training wheels and set of racing wheels unless you have 2 PowerTaps. The Garmin Vector looks really nice, but it is so expensive. I ride with SPD mountain bike pedals and shoes so if I went with the Vectors I would have to get new shoes and cleats and that makes Vector even more expensive. I really dislike road cycling shoes and the single entry pedals. Also the exposed cleat is a pain in the for running in, that is why I love my mountain bike shoes. I am really seriously considering the Stages system. Anyone use that product?

Dwayne
2013-11-12 7:47 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I went back to a different doctor on my PF

Basically starting over his way. So being fit for custom orthotics, no running or standing while cycling. It's going to be really difficult to train for CA now. According to the doc my PF is not typical. Most PF is located in the heal and mine is more up in the arches of my feet. So cortisone shots will not be a good options for me according to them. If his orthotics don't work we move to Blood Platlet transfer and I'll be in a boot for 3 weeks.

So that's that....I guess.

2013-11-12 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Originally posted by Meulen

I went back to a different doctor on my PF

Basically starting over his way. So being fit for custom orthotics, no running or standing while cycling. It's going to be really difficult to train for CA now. According to the doc my PF is not typical. Most PF is located in the heal and mine is more up in the arches of my feet. So cortisone shots will not be a good options for me according to them. If his orthotics don't work we move to Blood Platlet transfer and I'll be in a boot for 3 weeks.

So that's that....I guess.

Never heard of a blood platlet transfer - I hope it works if you end up doing it. I was in the boot for a couple months, unfortunately it didn't seem to help Still rooting for you to get over this nasty injury!
2013-11-12 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
thx Robin, I appreciate that!

I've read about the blood platlet and heard good things. The bigh thing is that insurance doesn't cover it. Hopefully, the custom orthotics does the trick. I don't know how much more fight I have left in me. My coach keeps asking me to write my goals. I just keep telling him, if I can run or race again, I will be happy. If that doesn't happen this year I'm done.
2013-11-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Hope things start moving in the right direction for you. I kick myself now for not switching podiatrist sooner - PF while still slightly present is 100x better than this summer. I can definitely empathize with wanting to just get running again.

Just have some fun playing on the Wahoo trainer. I keep talking it up to my hubby....hoping he takes the bait!

Edited by skitri 2013-11-12 1:43 PM
2013-11-13 5:05 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Brian, I hope the get that figured out! Not much on medical stuff, but that sounds a bit involved with the platelet transfers, but maybe it won't come to that1 Best of luck!! My wahoo trainer is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so hopefully my return to the bike on Saturday will be the first ride on that! I'll be reaching out to you Brian to figure this out I am sure!!

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Brian, I hope the get that figured out! Not much on medical stuff, but that sounds a bit involved with the platelet transfers, but maybe it won't come to that1 Best of luck!! My wahoo trainer is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so hopefully my return to the bike on Saturday will be the first ride on that! I'll be reaching out to you Brian to figure this out I am sure!!

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
2013-11-13 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Well I guess hitting the submit button over and over isn't a solution to a slow connection!
2013-11-14 8:44 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by kenj

Well I guess hitting the submit button over and over isn't a solution to a slow connection!

lol...anytime Ken. Glad to help!
2013-11-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by DeVinci13 Well, I was inspired by Ken so I signed up for IM Whistler and IM Lake Tahoe. 8 weeks apart. It should be an interesting spring and summer of training. We were in the fourth week of a 4 week training block and we did a max HR test yesterday on the bike. Start at 20 km/hr, increase speed 2 km/hr each minute. Take the HR at each interval and the RPE scale as well. Max HR was 201. I am around 205 for the run. It still seems so high for a 45 year old. Next week we start playing around with intervals and different HR zones. I am planning on getting power this year and I would like to get a feel of what people are using. I was looking at PowerTap, but then you can't really have a set of training wheels and set of racing wheels unless you have 2 PowerTaps. The Garmin Vector looks really nice, but it is so expensive. I ride with SPD mountain bike pedals and shoes so if I went with the Vectors I would have to get new shoes and cleats and that makes Vector even more expensive. I really dislike road cycling shoes and the single entry pedals. Also the exposed cleat is a pain in the for running in, that is why I love my mountain bike shoes. I am really seriously considering the Stages system. Anyone use that product? Dwayne

I was waiting to see if anyone else chimed in on the Stages system as I am not familiar with that Dwayne.  That product aside, I think the power tap product has a pretty good value right now, especially if you don't want to change wheels.  I like my Quarq, it is reliable and pretty simple to change the battery which is about the only maintenance issue.   Garmin Vector appears to be simpler than it is from what I have read as the pedals don't just go on and go, apparently there is some alignment and calibration required.  The reveiw I read indicated that swapping out a Quarq to a different bike is just as fast if that is the motive for using the Vectors. 

2013-11-15 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

The new trainer is set up in the pain cave!  Didn't get a chance to ride on it yet, hopefully tomorrow.  I did get it connected to my Iphone (my Ipad is too old and doesn't work with it).  I also have uploaded the imobileInterval app.  It has some preentered workouts that match up to some of the Sufferfest videos (which are on my Ipad) so I may try those out. 

Without having used it yet, thus far Brian's review was pretty accurate to what I have experienced so far.  The hardest part for me was actually finding where the power cord plugged in  !!

TGIF and have a great weekend!  I may actually start training again!

2013-11-15 10:37 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I've heard nothing good about the stages PM. My coach in particular was concerned with it's accuracy and reliability. Same with the Vector, especially for the price.

I swap my quarq out occassionally. It's not all that hard but occassionally it gets compressed in BB and can be a little difficult to break loose. Takes a little convincing!

PT has some great deals going now. I got my quarq Riken for $1200, I've seen quarq red on gearscan for $1500. They've also had some incredible deals on the PT/enve combo on gearscan if you want some better wheels
2013-11-15 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

The new trainer is set up in the pain cave!  Didn't get a chance to ride on it yet, hopefully tomorrow.  I did get it connected to my Iphone (my Ipad is too old and doesn't work with it).  I also have uploaded the imobileInterval app.  It has some preentered workouts that match up to some of the Sufferfest videos (which are on my Ipad) so I may try those out. 

Without having used it yet, thus far Brian's review was pretty accurate to what I have experienced so far.  The hardest part for me was actually finding where the power cord plugged in  !!

OMG LOL!!!!! Sorry Ken...I should have warned you about that. They did tuck that thing in underneath the trainer and out of site didn't they!
2013-11-15 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Meulen

OMG LOL!!!!! Sorry Ken...I should have warned you about that. They did tuck that thing in underneath the trainer and out of site didn't they!

The funny thing is that every other step had very detailed pictures and this was the only step that didn't.  Don't they know, men don't read instructions? LOL!

2013-11-27 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Here's wishing everyone a very happy Thanksgiving, unless your in Canada or the UK (of course it doesn't have to be an official holiday to scarf down some turkey and fixins...). Eat like crazy. S/B/R heals all food sins....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63