BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-11-21 3:33 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: shoes
fifty five degrees. if it goes below fifty I dont go outside for more than a few minutes. I grew up in florida without a/c or a fan in the house.
But I can race in July when its 90 and almost same humidity. Anyone tried Nashbar brand pedals and clips?

2013-11-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by dustytrails

fifty five degrees. if it goes below fifty I dont go outside for more than a few minutes. I grew up in florida without a/c or a fan in the house.
But I can race in July when its 90 and almost same humidity. Anyone tried Nashbar brand pedals and clips?

Hey, cry me a river on 55 degrees. It was 18 this morning when I left for work. Delightful. Nothing but frozen tundra.
2013-11-21 7:00 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Hey, cry me a river on 55 degrees. It was 18 this morning when I left for work. Delightful. Nothing but frozen tundra.

I should have prefaced my question that I didn't want to hear from the sunshine states . I hate it when they are shoveling sunshine when we are freezing up here.

20s here this morning but 18 Wow! I ran a few times in the teens last year and I was the only one out there. I think I will try to be a little smarter this year and do a little more treadmill work.

I don't know why I don't move - Maybe someday.
2013-11-23 11:55 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Going to start putting in some road-work before the snow comes. What is the lowest temperature that you will bring your bike out?

Last winter we were in Indiana.  My concern was never the temperature but what was on the ground.  I rode several times when it was low teens or single digits.  There are lots of clothing options to stay warm.  Ice and snow however, were a deal breaker.  I despise trainers and treadmills, so I go way out of my way to avoid both.  There are various traction devices available for shoes to run in snow/icy conditions, don't know of anything for the bike.

My humble opinion on your question is that snow and ice is what determines if I am inside or outside, not temperature.

2013-11-23 12:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY  I ran a few times in the teens last year and I was the only one out there. I think I will try to be a little smarter this year and do a little more treadmill work. I don't know why I don't move - Maybe someday.

I am one of those people that sweats enough for both of us.  I can literally watch a sporting event on TV and sweat for the athletes.  So I LOVE running when it is cold.  Add in some snow, and I am happy, happy, happy.  Use to get a lot of strange looks when I would be out running in the low teens or when snow was falling.  But, in reality, I get those same strange looks when I run or bike in the rain.  I guess people that are inclined to be couch potatoes simply don't understand.

2013-11-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: trainer
nine points this week.
borrowed a Kurt Kinetic top of line trainer from a friend. Wowie ...What a difference it makes to have a really quality trainer as opposed to the "smoke ur tire" cheapo trainer.

Anyone have a roller trainer?

2013-11-23 7:23 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: trainer

nine points this week.
borrowed a Kurt Kinetic top of line trainer from a friend. Wowie ...What a difference it makes to have a really quality trainer as opposed to the "smoke ur tire" cheapo trainer.

I've got the Kurt Kinetic trainer as well. Works good. I keep my tri bike on it pretty much all winter.

Got a buddy with rollers. Definitely need to have a chair or table nearby to help get balanced when starting...and then pay attention. If not, you can ride right off it and into your TV.
2013-11-24 1:59 PM

User image

Regular

nine points this week.

I've got the Kurt Kinetic trainer as well. Works good. I keep my tri bike on it pretty much all winter.

Got a buddy with rollers. Definitely need to have a chair or table nearby to help get balanced when starting...and then pay attention. If not, you can ride right off it and into your TV.

ANY REASON STEVE you are NOT using a roller trainer other ....happen to be happy with the one you started with?

Could I please get two additional points for this weekend. I forgot to add yesterdays trainer/ stretch session during Godzilla. Don't tell me how it ends !
2013-11-24 3:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Down 0.3 pounds this week (8 points?). Weight loss/gain lags behind several days (at least for me) so that's what I get for sitting around on my backside all week last week.  What's that old saying?  You can't complain about the result you didn't get by doing the work you didn't do.

Back on track with 414 minutes training this week (13,8, so is that 13 or 14?).

2013-11-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by k9car363

Down 0.3 pounds this week (8 points?). Weight loss/gain lags behind several days (at least for me) so that's what I get for sitting around on my backside all week last week.  What's that old saying?  You can't complain about the result you didn't get by doing the work you didn't do.

Back on track with 414 minutes training this week (13,8, so is that 13 or 14?).

Scott - I can do the workout points in decimals to the 100ths.

Down another pound for 15 points, 150 minutes for 5 workout points for a total of 20 for the week.

Ran outside yesterday with my youngest boy - he wanted to run the Turkey Trot route before the race, it was 23F with 25 mph winds, wind-chill at 6.
I am amazed Scott that you used to get on your bike in those conditions - but not anymore you lucky duck.

I have the Kurt Trainer too. Via Craig's List I found this CEO guy who lived in a 2 million dollar home who was moving, I was buying a $800 Specialized bike that looked like it was never used off the guy for $200 for my oldest boy. I saw the trainer sitting there and I asked how much he wanted for it and he let me have it for $50. Very happy with this trainer, they hold their value very well (my bargain is a rarity) and I heard some of the others had problems leaking but I think that is fixed now . When I was looking last year it just appeared more people prefer the Kurt over Cyclops and some of the other brands out there.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-11-25 8:29 AM
2013-11-25 8:33 AM

User image

Regular

ANY REASON STEVE you are NOT using a roller trainer other ....happen to be happy with the one you started with?

Could I please get two additional points for this weekend. I forgot to add yesterdays trainer/ stretch session during Godzilla. Don't tell me how it ends !

Two reasons:

1) I started with the KK trainer and like it.
2) I don't have to really pay attention on the KK vs. rollers. I'm afraid I'd roll right off, especially doing 10 X 1 minute all out sprints.

Steve

2013-11-25 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: weight loss
Back on track! The water weight I picked up the last few weeks sweated out with a solid training weekend. 11 miles running on Saturday at 18 degrees. No problem, just like skiing...bundle up and take it easy. Good 90 minutes on the indoor bike trainer on Sunday....then climbed all over the roof working on Christmas decorations.

Lost three pounds (!!!) and had 365 training minutes.

I know I'm still in last place, but I'm not going to go quietly.

Steve
2013-11-25 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: weight loss
Hi James,

No change on the weight (+5) and 280 minutes on training (9.33) = 14.33.

Looks like some good postings out there for last week! Well done!

Daughter gets home tonight - we'll be living in carb city for the next week, so I better get to my training :-)

If I don't "see" you all beforehand, have a very happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Let's all count our blessings that we can still get out there and swim, bike and run! And many other blessings to be sure... thinking especially of you, Scott - hope your family continues to heal up.

Stu
2013-11-26 2:24 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

nine points this week.

Linda - Were your points 5 points for no weight gain and 4 workout points for 120 minutes, total = 9 points?

Let me know if I need to change this.

2013-11-26 2:39 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Weekly Numbers
Hi People Happy Thanksgiving!

I cheated Scott 5 non-weight gain points last week so I added them on,

Don't be afraid to keep me honest.

Have a wonderful day on Thursday!

James

(Gray GG 11-25-2013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Gray GG 11-25-2013.jpg (48KB - 9 downloads)
2013-11-27 9:33 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Weekly Numbers

Hi People Happy Thanksgiving!

I cheated Scott 5 non-weight gain points last week so I added them on,

Don't be afraid to keep me honest.

Have a wonderful day on Thursday!

James

If I lose 12 pounds this week, will I take the lead in the contest?

Too bad this it's Turkey week....I could have given it a shot, but I'm not even going to think about it when there is gravy and pie to contend with.

2013-11-28 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Happy T-Day
Hope you all have a great day today....and even manage to get in a workout to burn off a few calories before the eating frenzy starts.

We all have many blessings in our lives. An easy thing to forget is just being thankful that as 50+ athletes we can still run, bike, swim, sweat and compete. We're all part of the athletic 1%.
2013-11-28 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hoping you don't over indulge to badly and that you enjoy the time with family and friends.
2013-11-29 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: TIRES

Linda - Were your points 5 points for no weight gain and 4 workout points for 120 minutes, total = 9 points?

um...forgot to tally I lost a pound last week . So....I think I get more points....ten more? for 19 total?? great

Thats great u aquired a trainer for fifty bucks. I just got some nice Shimano shoes for eight bucks...but then I popped 65 dollars for the pedals to go with them so I could use the borrowed trainer to get used to them.

anybody know best place buy a replacement grand prix 4000 continental tire ? A 650.

I "shined up " the rear tire real good on that borrowed trainer. Turned out to be "spensive weekend....but it was worth it !

Question to group....anyone try the Addidas boost yet ? I need a shoe for track / interval work.

( Today it was 68 degrees according to the thermometer on my porch..hehehe )
2013-11-29 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TIRES

anybody know best place buy a replacement grand prix 4000 continental tire ? A 650.

I "shined up " the rear tire real good on that borrowed trainer. Turned out to be "spensive weekend....but it was worth it !

I get all my bike stuff at http://www.westernbikeworks.com/
2013-12-01 8:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Hope you all have a great day today....and even manage to get in a workout to burn off a few calories before the eating frenzy starts.

We all have many blessings in our lives. An easy thing to forget is just being thankful that as 50+ athletes we can still run, bike, swim, sweat and compete. We're all part of the athletic 1%.

You are so right, we are so lucky to be able to do this in our 50's. I kid around sometimes and say I am so happy I spent 20 years of my life being sedentary, my friends that were working out all have bad knees now.

Linda - I haven't tried the adidas boosts but on the sneaker front to save money when I find a sneaker I like, I buy extra pairs on sale online when they come out with next years model. Usually I can get the sneakers for half price for around $60.

On the tire front I usually buy what's on sale on Nashbar. Most the time you can get a high quality tire for $30 and you can buy cheaper ones as training tires. If you don't like the tires Nashbar is really good on returns and you can use their $5 shipping label when sending it back.

Also, to save my good tires I keep my old tires and put them on the back wheel for the winter when I am using the trainer. Plus it is good practice for changing flat tires, I'm pretty good at it now.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-12-01 9:22 AM

2013-12-01 1:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Down 1.3 pounds for the week (18 points?). . . in spite of Thanksgiving!  VERY happy that I did not over indulge like I normally have done.

503 workout minutes this week (16.8 points?).

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.  As for me and mine, ours was exceptional.  We did Thanksgiving dinner at the hospital.  Family is quickly healing.  We counted our blessings in a way that we never anticipated we would.  Thank you again to everyone for all the kind words and warm wishes.

As to shoes, I use a Brooks stability shoe so I can't offer much help there.  For tires and other misc bike parts, I go to my LBS.  I place the relationship I have with the bike shop over the few dollars I may save online.  I have found it is nice to have the expert knowledge available at any time whether I am spending something or not.  I know them and they know me by first name.  You don't get that online.

2013-12-01 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: points/ gear
Scott glad to hear your son is doing well.

As far as trainer tires........ the LBS offered to let me dig a 700 out of the "throw away pile" ....unfortunately my bike came with 650"s

Well keep eye out for last years shoes...thx James.

I did buy my pedals from LBS...they sponsor my sons MTN Bike team and offered lots of help during my switch of pedals/ shoes.

points this week:

I gained 1.75 pounds < 17.5 points>
w/o points 13.5

Total_____________<4.0 >

My quads are tired...too much trainer not enough fishie this week : =
2013-12-02 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Looks like Scott is going to leave me in the dust (gravy bowl?) this week :-)

+1 pound (-10) and only 120 minutes of training (+4). Net of -6 points for the week. I honestly thought it might be worse as I definitely over indulged.

Somewhat concerning is that my back went out after my run on Friday. Usually it comes around in 3 or 4 days. It had been a few years since the last time it went out so was starting to think I had licked it with my back exercises. No such luck. May try some swimming today, but can't run until it heals.

Back to the grind...

Stu
2013-12-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Weight loss (or not)
Well, two steps forward, two steps back.

Stepped on the scale to discover that the 3 pounds I dropped last week magically returned this week. Despite the fact that I had a very solid training week (540 minutes). So, put me down for +3 on weight.

On the good news front I made the jump to sign up for Florida 70.3 in April. So, now I've got a reason to train with a purpose again. 2014 is nearly here!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37