BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 29
 
 
2013-09-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: Dana_Scully

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Originally posted by Dana_Scully I have a question for the non-newbie Beasties: The lake temp next weekend at my first triathlon (can we just skip past the part where this is my first event because every time I think about it I want to pee myself from anxiety) will be between 77 and 79. My question is, can I survive without a wetsuit? By that I mean not "should I rent one?" but will I be too cold without one in the event I can't afford the rental.

What race are you doing and how long is the swim?

You can definitely survive in thoses temps w/o a wetsuit.  Temps between 77 and 79 are good.  Wetsuit legal temp cutoff is 78F.

I would not rent one unless the temps really dip quite a bit more.  And if the race is in the DC area, they might.  Nights have been pretty cool lately.  You will warm up quite quickly on your swim.  Key will be keeping yourself warm in the morning before you start!  Rentals run about $65.  

I rented one for my 2nd race and then picked one up used here on BT after that.  



2013-09-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by wrkinprogress Sure enough, the woman in my age group who'd gone WAY faster than me actually won the women's race overall (and can I get a WOOT!! for someone in the 40-44 AG doing that, please?), so the position of "first in age group" rolled down. So yep, I now have a plaque proclaiming me to be first in my AG at this IM!

Most excellent!  I love races that do this!

I think it is awesome & would proudly display it!! I was thinking about the way you pushed through your bike ride in your race  this morning every time i wanted to walk on my run



Edited by Evergreen 2013-09-18 4:03 PM
2013-09-19 4:32 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
1612
1000500100
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Congrats, Alex!!  An Ironman and bling to boot?  Just to prove you are awesome, ha ha!!!

Scully, no you won't need a wetsuit for those water temps... I think the pool I swim at runs about 78 and it's a bit chilly getting in but then it is just fine, I think you'd die of the heat in a wetsuit, and they aren't "legal" above 78 anyways.  Post any last minute questions over here, you WILL make it through your first race!!  Hopefully crossing the finish line saying, "When's my next one?"!

2013-09-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
683
500100252525
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone-- and huge cheers to Scully for her upcoming first race! You GO, girl, and have a blast doing it! *waves pompoms from England*
2013-09-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
683
500100252525
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by Evergreen

Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by wrkinprogress Sure enough, the woman in my age group who'd gone WAY faster than me actually won the women's race overall (and can I get a WOOT!! for someone in the 40-44 AG doing that, please?), so the position of "first in age group" rolled down. So yep, I now have a plaque proclaiming me to be first in my AG at this IM!

Most excellent!  I love races that do this!

I think it is awesome & would proudly display it!! I was thinking about the way you pushed through your bike ride in your race  this morning every time i wanted to walk on my run



Aww, thanks, Melody! Way to HTFU and get the run done-- bet you're getting consistently stronger as you go!
2013-09-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Expert
777
500100100252525
Missouri
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Alex - great job on the IM and congrats on the AG win!

Scully - good luck this weekend!  We'll be cheering for ya!

Fall has arrived here in the midwest - YEAH!! (except for a couple of warm days this week).  I'm doing a 5k tomorrow with my daughter and my husband is going to do the 1 mile walk.  Heartland Humane Society is sponsoring the race - my daughter has volunteered with them for about 7 years so we're going to make a family affair out of it (minus our son - he couldn't make it home this weekend).  I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty small race but looking forward to it, the weather should be perfect!

Anyone else racing this weekend?  If so, good luck!!
Janet



2013-09-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Member
120
100
Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Race report is open did my first HM. Actually this is the longest distance that I've run. I did a couple of 12 and 16 KM runs prior but not a 13.1 Miler. Felt pretty cool. I left some on the table but I'm really happy with the race. Wife and kids made a great poster for me as I ran by.



http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2013-09-24 11:19 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Originally posted by Jigger Race report is open did my first HM. Actually this is the longest distance that I've run. I did a couple of 12 and 16 KM runs prior but not a 13.1 Miler. Felt pretty cool. I left some on the table but I'm really happy with the race. Wife and kids made a great poster for me as I ran by. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Nice!!!  Pretty good time too!  Glad you had a fun time.  I like HM's.  You have to work to finish and feel good about your effort but not so hard so that it takes up so much time.

2013-09-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

I am looking forward to our Dogfish Dash 10K this weekend.  Hoping to do well.  Two years ago I won my AG but don't expect that this time around.  I'm about 10 lbs heavier, 2 years older, and haven't put in lots of run time.  But I do expect to do well.  This race is fun because the beer starts flowing @ 9:00am!! It is at the Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, DE.  We are bringing a designated driver with us.  And, of course, the packet pickup starts Friday at the Brewery so we will stop in for some taste testing Friday late afternoon.

2013-09-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Originally posted by Jigger Race report is open did my first HM. Actually this is the longest distance that I've run. I did a couple of 12 and 16 KM runs prior but not a 13.1 Miler. Felt pretty cool. I left some on the table but I'm really happy with the race. Wife and kids made a great poster for me as I ran by. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

 

Great race Scott. A HM is on my list.....

Janet- how did your race go?

Melanie, have fun this weekend!!

I am still dealing with A LOT of fatigue. Not sure what is going on. I have not done any training since Saturday, either way to tired or literally no time. Race in 2 weeks:/ I am heading to beach in 2 days Cool and plan to rest as much as possible though I am bringing my bike and do plan to get some workouts in.

2013-09-24 6:40 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
777
500100100252525
Missouri
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

The 5k on Saturday was a success!  First year race and lots of other races the same weekend but the turnout was better than I expected.  There were a little over 100 people between the 5k and the 1 mile (most people either walked or ran the 5k).  Flat course and beautiful weather.  I was really happy with my time - not a PR but considering that I haven't run a 5k in quite some time, I think I did pretty good.  And my daughter did well too - although she doesn't think so.  She was a runner in HS but hasn't run regularly in almost 2 years.  She still managed to come in 3rd in her AG even though she had to walk for a while due to a side cramp.  Hubby did the 1 mile walk - thought it was too short, next year I'll sign him up for the 5k insteadSmile.

The weather's not looking good for my race this weekend.  Rain/thunderstorms predicted for Saturday night and all day Sunday.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.



2013-09-25 7:15 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by Evergreen

I am still dealing with A LOT of fatigue. Not sure what is going on. I have not done any training since Saturday, either way to tired or literally no time. Race in 2 weeks:/ I am heading to beach in 2 days Cool and plan to rest as much as possible though I am bringing my bike and do plan to get some workouts in.

Enjoy your beach time.  Rest up.  Eat well!  I find that I get fatigued if something if something in my diet is a bit off kilter.  Usually it is protein but sometimes it's lack of carbs & fat too.

2013-09-30 5:19 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
1612
1000500100
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
I had a super fun time at my mud race!!!  Although I am still pretty sore today... sore or not, I'm running in the morning... I didn't do an official race report, but I did an unofficial one (with PICS) on my blog if you wanna check it out!! 
2013-10-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Cant wait to read it!!! I am doing one in 2 weeks.
2013-10-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by hoffsquared
Originally posted by Evergreen

I am still dealing with A LOT of fatigue. Not sure what is going on. I have not done any training since Saturday, either way to tired or literally no time. Race in 2 weeks:/ I am heading to beach in 2 days Cool and plan to rest as much as possible though I am bringing my bike and do plan to get some workouts in.

Enjoy your beach time.  Rest up.  Eat well!  I find that I get fatigued if something if something in my diet is a bit off kilter.  Usually it is protein but sometimes it's lack of carbs & fat too.

 

OMG! Rest - yes. Eating- total crap!! What was I thinking taking a vaca one week before race!!!

2013-10-03 6:10 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

I am furloughed.

Have a race on Sunday.  Have pretty much backed off on training.  Getting in a few bike rides and will run tomorrow.  But I was sore from Sunday's 10K so haven't run this week.  Was supposed to go to a track workout this morning but that didn't happen.  

Today is a hike with a friend.  8-10 miles somewhere.  That should count for something right?



2013-10-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I am furloughed.

Have a race on Sunday.  Have pretty much backed off on training.  Getting in a few bike rides and will run tomorrow.  But I was sore from Sunday's 10K so haven't run this week.  Was supposed to go to a track workout this morning but that didn't happen.  

Today is a hike with a friend.  8-10 miles somewhere.  That should count for something right?

An 8-10 mile hike DEFINITELY counts for something!!

Well- hurricane Kathy is 'almost' brewing and possibly heading up the Gulf Coast.Nothing is definite yet- but there is a 70% chance of rain Saturday and some are saying there will be 25-30mph winds ....

Honestly I have not been excited about this race at all not sure why. I think it is just the wrong time of year for me- too many other things going on...but I am still glad I signed up because it kept me training regular all summer.

I still am going to do it IF the weather holds (excited or not)- but even if they have the race I am not riding or swimming in the ocean in 25 mph winds. So we will see....Undecided

2013-10-03 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

"The Board of Directors of the Santa Rosa Island Triathlon deeply regrets to inform you that our event is cancelled for this Saturday, October 5th" ....

 

Oh well, I think they are doing the smart thing- this is a big tri with 1000+ racers and it would be a nightmare to try and evacuate all along with the regular residents in case of an emergency. 

and the winds are up to 65 mph now....



Edited by Evergreen 2013-10-03 1:55 PM
2013-10-04 4:38 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
1612
1000500100
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Looks like the decision was made for you, Melody!  Hmm, racing in a tropical storm/hurricane??  Nah, don't think so...  I'm not much feeling my race next weekend either and may just bail on it, I'll play it be ear and see how things feel next week.  Half Marathon is also hanging in the balance, hubby tweaked his knee doing who knows what and hasn't been able to train, add that to his neck/shoulder issues and I don't see that happening either.  What a stupid season this turned out to be!  Time for some base building and cooler weather!!!!  Cold front coming through on Saturday, my weather planner is showing a number that starts with 4, I am so excited!!  Hoping this morning's run is the last one in the 70's, but I imagine the hot weather will make a return before it finally goes away....

Melanie, so sorry to hear about your furlough, this gov't thing is awful....

2013-10-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Great race for me yesterday.  2nd in AG.

Here is race report.

2013-10-11 6:20 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
1612
1000500100
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Just got done checking everyone's logs and it appears the season has come to an end.  It's time to put the Beasties to rest for this round of mentorship.  We've had some highs and some lows, but it has been an adventure!  Congrats to all of you that raced this season, no matter the outcome.  You trained and you put it to use and learned some strengths and weaknesses.  As you head into the off season, try and find something fun to aim towards... mud/obstacle/zombie/color runs are a blast and it's fun to get out there without that stopwatch pushing you to get a better time.  Just go have fun!  Train your weakness... mine is the run and I take advantage of the cooler weather to get out there as much as I can.  If yours is the swim and you really want to improve it, try and get to the pool 3 times a week, 4 or 5 if you can manage it.  As much as I don't like it, time on the bike trainer doing intervals can really improve your bike legs!  Crossfit, P90X, Insanity, bootcamp etc... great way to improve your overall fitness and strength...  this is also a great time to reflect on this season and start thinking about what you want to accomplish next year. 

I probably won't do the winter round of mentorship, but I can't imagine I won't be back for the Spring/Summer 2014 round.  And I won't be disappearing, but won't be checking in on you all daily, so don't freak if you don't get an inspire everyday!  I have several folks who haven't logged anything for months, yeah, sorry but you may disappear from my friends list, I just don't like clutter on my blog page!  This page will probably be archived soon, but you can still inspire me or PM me with any questions or concerns that come up!!  And if you choose to join another mentor group, remember that once, you were a BEAST!!!!  I love you all,  Hilde



2013-10-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
948
50010010010010025
Falls Church
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Thanks Hilde!!!  Been a good group!

2013-10-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
777
500100100252525
Missouri
Silver member
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Originally posted by Hildebeast

Just got done checking everyone's logs and it appears the season has come to an end.  It's time to put the Beasties to rest for this round of mentorship.  We've had some highs and some lows, but it has been an adventure!  Congrats to all of you that raced this season, no matter the outcome.  You trained and you put it to use and learned some strengths and weaknesses.  As you head into the off season, try and find something fun to aim towards... mud/obstacle/zombie/color runs are a blast and it's fun to get out there without that stopwatch pushing you to get a better time.  Just go have fun!  Train your weakness... mine is the run and I take advantage of the cooler weather to get out there as much as I can.  If yours is the swim and you really want to improve it, try and get to the pool 3 times a week, 4 or 5 if you can manage it.  As much as I don't like it, time on the bike trainer doing intervals can really improve your bike legs!  Crossfit, P90X, Insanity, bootcamp etc... great way to improve your overall fitness and strength...  this is also a great time to reflect on this season and start thinking about what you want to accomplish next year. 

I probably won't do the winter round of mentorship, but I can't imagine I won't be back for the Spring/Summer 2014 round.  And I won't be disappearing, but won't be checking in on you all daily, so don't freak if you don't get an inspire everyday!  I have several folks who haven't logged anything for months, yeah, sorry but you may disappear from my friends list, I just don't like clutter on my blog page!  This page will probably be archived soon, but you can still inspire me or PM me with any questions or concerns that come up!!  And if you choose to join another mentor group, remember that once, you were a BEAST!!!!  I love you all,  Hilde

Been doing this a lot the last couple of weeks since my last race.  I told my husband I was going to stick to 5k's & 10k's for a while.  I miss doing running races and can't afford to do those and tri's - at least not as many as I would like to do.  I'm going to continue to train on the bike but swimming will probably take a back seat for a while (I never did much of that anyway).  I'll probably still do a duathlon in April but not sure about doing any tri's next year.  We'll see how the winter and spring go and then decide about maybe doing one next fall - either that or a half marathon, not sure which I want to do yet. 

2013-11-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Member
107
100
Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Hello Beasties,
Just thought I'd take a minute to remind everyone to say a prayer,send good vibes,mojo and good energy to oldSAP (Charlie) He is in the Philippines and they are in the path of one of the most monstrous typhoons ever. It was great being a part of this mentoring group for my year of the Ironman. I'll be doing much shorter tri's and increasing my offroad running mileage and getting into fast packing next year. Long term goal of doing the Grand 2 Grand Ultra Race in 2017 to celebrate my 50th birthday. Thanks to everyone for all the support and advice I received here and the biggest shout out to HILDE! YOU ROCK! See y'all next year!

2013-11-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Veteran
622
500100
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

I spoke to Charlie via facebook this morning- he and his family are Ok - he said  they are far north of the typhoon. Praying for all of those who were in its path though!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 29