BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-08-22 7:38 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Janet, I have a mud run coming up too, my first, and it's just for fun.  I also have a 5K this Saturday and with all the family drama, there has been no training happening.  Yes, the drama continues.  I guess there was another situation yesterday and my Dad walked out and went to a motel.  At least he's not talking about coming out here, he knows he has to fix the situation there before anything happens.  We are trying to convince him that it's time for assisted living whether here or there.  In the meantime, my brother is in a panic at being left with my mother and has been calling non-stop and in spite of the fact that I told him I will hang up on him if he cannot speak in a normal voice and control his anger and filthy comments, he continues to verbally abuse me.  I have the voice mails to back it up and am ready to take them to the police.  I'm frankly a little tired of the, "You're a bloody hole" comment.  He is demanding I "help" him, although he will not go into exactly what "help" he needs (other than a mental institution LOL) and just continues to scream at me, and then I hang up.  I don't handle confrontation well, I avoid it all costs, so needless to say, even though I hang up, it's eating away at me.  Dad is going to see his lawyer today, to change his will and see what he has to do legally for mom and maybe evicting my brother.  Something obviously needs to be done and I can handle dealing with my dad, who honestly seems perfectly calm and rational as opposed to my brother who sounds like a psychopath!  WTH, put my mom to bed and calm the *F* down!  And I'm trying to deal with being back at school and MY family life, which sure seems unnaturally normal compared to the rest!!!!  So I apologize I haven't been able to get to logs, the drama literally started as soon as I got home last night and continued past the time I went to bed, had a couple more glorious voicemails this morning.  What a way to start the day, I'm a bloody hole and c*nt, and a b!tch and pretty much whatever derogatory female descriptor you can think of.  So feel free to bow out of the Beasties now that you know that about me!  I love all you guys, and once again, sorry to vent.  Ron has been SO supportive, but he gets tired of it.  His dad has Alzheimers too, but thing are all calm there, so I know this is NOT normal!!

2013-08-22 8:34 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Hilde- Vent all you want!!! It sound to me like it may be beginning to work itself out (Your dad making a move). 

Janet & Hilde- I am doing a mud run too!! My first- and yes for fun. Nathan is doing it with me and several friends. It is the weekend after my Tri in October.

Great swim today (for me) reeeeeeallllly lagging in my bike :-( just not enough hours in the day Frown

2013-08-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hilde --- vent as much as you need...and pound the ground this weekend!  Be a BEAST and let everyone hear you ROAR!

Janet --- Have fun on your mud run!

I did a track workout this morning with a local women's tri club (Luna Chix).  Very good workout.  Rode my bike there and then after the workout to work...I am pooped.  I am going to try to do these workouts every Thursday morning as long as they schedule them.  I am the oldest one there for sure though.

2013-08-22 10:01 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
No issues from me about the venting. One thing I've learned is that venting is good for the soul.

We (the family) decided to participate in a local try a tri event. The girls were supper pumped for the event as they had watched me at two of my three races this year. My oldest (5) kept asking when her triathlon was the week leading up to the event. Both girls (3) and (5) were in the same age group with two other girls. Life jackets or floatation devices were allowed. The kids had a great time finished the event with smiles on their faces which is important. My oldest finished first and youngest came in second. They both had a blast and can't wait until next year. As for the adult races attendance was down. with only myself in the adult division and my wife and one other person in the female group. 8 relay teams in the event though. I raced against a 14 year kid that is a pretty good swimmer. He got out of the pool at least 2 laps ahead of me. I chased him down on the bike and saw him as I was coming into T2. I paced him for the first km then got him on the hill. We decided to run the rest of the way side by side. The last portion I told him to go for the win and we had a nice little photo finish at the end. I did knock 8-10 minutes off my time from last year. This was the race that gave me the Tri bug so I will continue to compete in it if the schedule permits. It was a fun race. I was supper happy with my swim leg I wish I could have pulled that off during my sprints this year. Last tri race for this year. Time to hit miles for the HM in September.

I didn't add many details to the race report just added it for tracking purposes.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Internet issue double post

Edited by Jigger 2013-08-22 10:07 PM
2013-08-22 10:06 PM

User image

internet issue triple post

Edited by Jigger 2013-08-22 10:07 PM

2013-08-23 6:11 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Scott, what fun!!!  So happy to hear your kids loved it!!  I'm doing a 5k/fun run with my grandson (age 5) tomorrow, he loves to race and he's FAST!  You are a good man to let the 14 year old take the win...

Yesterday was finally a day without major family drama.  My brother left a voice mail in the morning to apologize and for once sounded like a sane, rational person and then there were no more phone calls.  It was "Meet the Teacher" at school, so I was there till 6:00 and home around 6:30, and once I sat on my couch I was simply exhausted and just didn't have it in me to call him back last night since he seems to flip out in about a zillionth of a second. 

Today the youngest grandson is having surgery to have tubes put in his ears and my daughter found out at her Meet the Teacher night that there is no bus transportation to the daycare?!!!  Nice to hear that just a few days before school starts.  She can put him in after school care, but it would be more money out of her pocket.  She might have to do that for a week until she gets the daycare stuff figured out.  She is in a different district than the one I work at, in mine, the daycares come and pick up the kids,  The one where I live, the school district does the transportation.  So I'm taking the afternoon off to either go with her or keep the baby while she goes and scopes out the other daycares to see if they have openings and can take her kids and if they will take her government assistance for daycare.  It's always something!

2013-08-23 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Scott -- yes!  what fun!  Good to see the entire family involved.

Hilde -- kids & transportation...I sure do not miss this part of raising kids.  I had similar issues a long time ago with my two girls.  Hope it all works out.  Get some rest this weekend.  Maybe a nice long scenic ride is in order.

It's Friday!!!  I am not quite sure what we have planned.  I was hoping to attend a homebrew fest but it coincides with big activities in DC (MLK celebrations) - so I'm not sure what city traffic will be like.  I do have to return a bike.

I am hoping to get new tri shoes either Saturday or Sunday.  Will be looking at LG Tri-Lite carbon or Sidi T3 carbon.  My commuter shoes are just not cutting it for racing.  They are quite beat up.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2013-08-23 6:32 PM

User image

New user
Scott - what a wonderful time you must've had with your kids.

i'm still 50/50 on getting a cycling shoe. i've read in another thread that some people prefer using mtb cycling/pedals on their roadies. any thoughts on this?
2013-08-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Originally posted by oldSAP

Scott - what a wonderful time you must've had with your kids.

i'm still 50/50 on getting a cycling shoe. i've read in another thread that some people prefer using mtb cycling/pedals on their roadies. any thoughts on this?

Great event. I just rode my mtb with my shimano pedals for the firs time in years. Much easier to clip in and out of but I missed the bigger footprint under foot. Some of this may be because my mtb shoes have more give and are note as stiff as my road shoes. Just take the jump you will never go back.
2013-08-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Charlie, mountain bike shoes and spd's have a much smaller platform and can cause hot spots while riding.  Traditional road bike pedals will have a much bigger platform (SPD-SL, Look, Time) or cleat (Speedplays) which will give you more power.  Of course you can go with the mtn bike pedals, and in fact those recessed cleats would sure be easier running through transition, but my guess is eventually you'll go for the bigger platform.

2013-08-24 7:40 PM

User image

New user
so i finally installed my second hand shimano R540 pedals and bought a bnew shimano R077L road shoes yesterday and decided to go ride in them today. 12km + 30km for my first ride. felt the same but different. the same because i loosened the pedal so it would play more, and i wasn't feeling the pull part of pedaling that much. different because i felt like my feet were one with the pedal/bike. also, i tried pedaling by pulling my knees up and it worked :P
2013-08-24 10:30 PM

User image

New user
why do i always feel numbness in my feet when i ride my bike on the road? i thought it was my saddle position but during my indoor bike trainer sessions i don't feel this. i read somewhere that it must be the toe pointing while pedaling. i'm not sure if i've been pointing my toes downward when i'm on the road. i'll try adjusting my cleats so that my feet would be more forward when i lock them on my pedal on my next ride.
2013-08-25 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Wow, it's been busy around here. Congrats on great racing for several Beasties! I'm also sending out some hugs to Hilde.

I'm back from vacation and getting ready for my son to start 3rd grade in a few days. The beginning of school almost feels like new year to me. So I am working on setting some goals and trying to plan how to reach them.

I'm working on my diet by dropping sugars and grains except for special occasions. I've done this before and feel great without the processed food. It also helps me to totally avoid junk food (my major downfall) and increase fruits and veggies.

I'm making a point to ride my bike at least 20 miles a week in Aug. Then at least 25 miles a week in Sept. I'll build from there. I think I'll probably do a charity ride in Sept. I'd do the 30 mile ride if it was flat, but it's not, so I'll do the 13 mile ride. It will be good for me to ride on the road as I usually stick to bike paths. My master's practices start up again on 9/4. I think I'll include some bodyweight strength training and some walking (for now).

All of this is working toward an Oly AquaBike in July 2014. I know I could complete the distances now if I could remove the hills on the bike. I'll need to add hills and be consistent in my bike training. There is a 1/4 mile run from the water to T1, so I'll add running at some point as well.
2013-08-25 8:23 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Sounds like a great plan Andrea!!  Like you, with the start of the school year I am hoping to get my training/nutritional life under control.  I am reading Paleo for Athletes, but haven't gotten enough read to really start it yet, so will be eating "healthy" this week, and hope to start on that very soon for some major weight loss.  Then it will be time to fit in my swim and bike training in around my half marathon training that starts this week for a November half in San Antonio.

The family drama has cooled off the past 3 days, at least I have not received any phone calls/voice mails, and it has been much needed.  I probably need to make a call today to see what's happening there.  The kids and grandkids are coming over for dinner tonight, Grandpa's awesome pulled pork!  And it's my youngest grandson's first birthday!!  And the older one starts kindergarten tomorrow, whew, lots happening.  I "hope" to get in a bike ride today, but the house needs cleaning, I need to do some birthday shopping I have neglected, get to the grocery store to shop for lunch stuff for the week, etc.  And laundry of course, so it might end up being a catch up day.

As you think of it today, give our very own Beastie, Shad, a mental shout out as she competes in her first Ironman today!!!  Woot, Go SHAD!!!!!

2013-08-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good to see you back!!!

Good plan on your bike rides.  Gradually increasing miles per week.

I have discovered something pretty good.  Every morning I have been doing some very simple exercises that don't even make me break a sweat.

So to increase your strength...right when you get up try doing 10 squats with just your bodyweight every weekday morning for a week...then 15 the next week, etc.  I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I feel much stronger.

2013-08-25 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Shad!! Hope you had a great race!!!

Hilde- I am researching Paleo too. Practical Paleo is a beautiful very visually appealing book with great content. I am reading It Starts with Food too.. lots of good info at www.whole9life.com - look up the Whole 30- I am going to do the Whole30 after my race. Hope you had a good day with the fam.

Andrea  - my husband & I have been off all sugar & grain for 3 weeks and feel great. He has went down a full pants size already. Me I'm still fluctuating up and down in the same range but feel great and and seeing changes visually even if my stupid scale is schizo. 

Scott - Great race! So cool that your kids raced and awesome that you let the 14YO win!

Charlie- The news made it look pretty bad over there- you must not have had flooding. Glad you got your pedals- I think i need to tighten mine.

Melanie- I am going try your squats! and to plank everyday at least twice.

Big day with the fam for me. Actually cooked a big meal and it was such an event all three of my boys showed up:-) loved having everyone together. Kept the 1YO gran over night so I am pretty much exhausted :/ Missed my long run but will make up tomorrow.

Edited by Evergreen 2013-08-25 8:20 PM
2013-08-26 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Anybody have any word on Shad?  Think it must have been a tough race...DNF....but got through all but last 1.6 miles it looks like.

2013-08-26 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh no!  I didn't see that.... last time I checked she had 25 to go on the bike, man oh man. 
2013-08-26 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Janet, I have a mud run coming up too, my first, and it's just for fun.  I also have a 5K this Saturday and with all the family drama, there has been no training happening.  Yes, the drama continues.  I guess there was another situation yesterday and my Dad walked out and went to a motel.  At least he's not talking about coming out here, he knows he has to fix the situation there before anything happens.  We are trying to convince him that it's time for assisted living whether here or there.  In the meantime, my brother is in a panic at being left with my mother and has been calling non-stop and in spite of the fact that I told him I will hang up on him if he cannot speak in a normal voice and control his anger and filthy comments, he continues to verbally abuse me.  I have the voice mails to back it up and am ready to take them to the police.  I'm frankly a little tired of the, "You're a bloody hole" comment.  He is demanding I "help" him, although he will not go into exactly what "help" he needs (other than a mental institution LOL) and just continues to scream at me, and then I hang up.  I don't handle confrontation well, I avoid it all costs, so needless to say, even though I hang up, it's eating away at me.  Dad is going to see his lawyer today, to change his will and see what he has to do legally for mom and maybe evicting my brother.  Something obviously needs to be done and I can handle dealing with my dad, who honestly seems perfectly calm and rational as opposed to my brother who sounds like a psychopath!  WTH, put my mom to bed and calm the *F* down!  And I'm trying to deal with being back at school and MY family life, which sure seems unnaturally normal compared to the rest!!!!  So I apologize I haven't been able to get to logs, the drama literally started as soon as I got home last night and continued past the time I went to bed, had a couple more glorious voicemails this morning.  What a way to start the day, I'm a bloody hole and c*nt, and a b!tch and pretty much whatever derogatory female descriptor you can think of.  So feel free to bow out of the Beasties now that you know that about me!  I love all you guys, and once again, sorry to vent.  Ron has been SO supportive, but he gets tired of it.  His dad has Alzheimers too, but thing are all calm there, so I know this is NOT normal!!

HUGE hugs from here-- have only just grabbed time to log in after a while. You're FABULOUS, and don't let anyone ever tell you any different!
2013-08-26 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Evergreen

Shad!! Hope you had a great race!!!

Hilde- I am researching Paleo too. Practical Paleo is a beautiful very visually appealing book with great content. I am reading It Starts with Food too.. lots of good info at www.whole9life.com - look up the Whole 30- I am going to do the Whole30 after my race. Hope you had a good day with the fam.

Andrea  - my husband & I have been off all sugar & grain for 3 weeks and feel great. He has went down a full pants size already. Me I'm still fluctuating up and down in the same range but feel great and and seeing changes visually even if my stupid scale is schizo. 

Scott - Great race! So cool that your kids raced and awesome that you let the 14YO win!

Charlie- The news made it look pretty bad over there- you must not have had flooding. Glad you got your pedals- I think i need to tighten mine.

Melanie- I am going try your squats! and to plank everyday at least twice.

Big day with the fam for me. Actually cooked a big meal and it was such an event all three of my boys showed up:-) loved having everyone together. Kept the 1YO gran over night so I am pretty much exhausted :/ Missed my long run but will make up tomorrow.

Hi everyone! *waves*

I've got Practical Paleo and It Starts With Food, too-- very much like the PP as a useful cookbook. Will get back to calorie counting etc. once my IM is done (in less than 2 weeks, eeep!). So lovely to hear about races going well, though sad to hear that Shad might have had a tough time at that race-- hope to hear more soon.

I personally prefer the larger pedal of my Looks over the SPDs my sister has, but it really is all about what each rider prefers, I find.

Week 2 of tapering starts this week, and day 1 of classes starts for me tomorrow-- call it 2 different ways to drive myself crazy!

Hope everyone's weeks go well!

Alex

2013-08-26 6:31 PM

User image

New user
almost had my first fall with me still clipped in yesterday. i went up a short but steep ramp, half way i stopped, everything went slow motion, haha. fortunately i was able to unclip just in the nick of time.

below is a picture during the flood last week. the road and the rice field were all submerged. the flood water in this picture has subsided already. at it's peak, the water was waist deep. in some parts of our town it was chest deep.

(1001229_10201088555167476_728850584_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1001229_10201088555167476_728850584_n.jpg (47KB - 18 downloads)
2013-08-27 7:18 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Hilde, just some advice from someone who works in healthcare..1) get medical and legal powers of attorney for both parents. 2) if your father is still capable of making his own decisions,have him make out his advance directives for what he does or doesn't want done if he becomes medically incapacitated. You or he may have to make these decisions for your mother if her illness has progressed to the point that she isn't capable of making her own decisions. 3) you or your father need to contact Adult or Elder Protective Services in Florida to determine how best to deal with your brother's behavior. If he is deemed a threat to your parents,he can be legally removed from their home. You are doing the smart thing by keeping a record of any communication with him,continue to do so. Voicemails,texts,e-mails,etc,keep them ALL. I am NOT bowing out of the Beasties. We are here for you,and if there is anything else I can think of I will post it up. You stay strong and take care of YOU so you can best help your parents. Alzheimer's is a horrible thing, I see it every day. Your brother is doing NOTHING to help the situation with his sh$thead behavior. You just continue to do what your heart tells you is best and your head tells you is the most logical and compassionate.
2013-08-27 7:22 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Charlie --- we had heard about the storms done your way.  Was your home impacted?  Good to see you posting some training again.

Hi Alex!

Shad --- was thinking about you on Sunday.

2013-08-27 7:31 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Middle Tennessee
Hello Everyone. I am an Ironman! I finished after the clock stopped at midnight so that is why my full results aren't posted. The nature of the swim start at IM Louisville doesn't give you the full 17 hours to finish unless you are the first athlete in the water. I'll post a full report later,but accounting for the fact that I didn't hit the water till 7:20 am, it looks like I finished in 16:54,give or take a few seconds. My swim was great, my bike not so great due to some serious nerve pain in my right foot and my run was just a SLOW painful death march. I ran the whole way but had no way to really keep up with my mile splits but I knew at the halfway mark it was gonna be close. I finished what I started and I'm very proud of me! Now I must go get our youngest canine fur bag from our vet, we boarded her for our trip. More to follow! Thank you all for your support on this amazing journey!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29