BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-09-08 7:32 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Hi everyone! Yes, I finished in 14:16 and change...will put up the race report when I get back in front of a real computer in a couple of days' time. Thanks so much for all your support and good wishes! I'm a bit stiff this morning with a couple of blisters to show for yesterday's efforts, but otherwise fine: the goal of finishing smiling and uninjured has definitely been met. More soon-- hope you're all having a wonderful weekend, and GO TODAY'S BEASTIE RACERS!! *cheers and waves pompoms*

2013-09-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by wrkinprogress

Hi everyone! Yes, I finished in 14:16 and change...will put up the race report when I get back in front of a real computer in a couple of days' time. Thanks so much for all your support and good wishes! I'm a bit stiff this morning with a couple of blisters to show for yesterday's efforts, but otherwise fine: the goal of finishing smiling and uninjured has definitely been met. More soon-- hope you're all having a wonderful weekend, and GO TODAY'S BEASTIE RACERS!! *cheers and waves pompoms*

HELL TO THE YES!! YOU ARE AN IRONMANX2!!!
2013-09-08 8:18 PM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by wrkinprogress

Congrats.
2013-09-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Went in to my LBS and got a BG fit. Looking at a specialized shiv or cannondale slice. Leaning towards the shiv I did walk out with a new specialized toupe road saddle. My current saddle was a little narrow for my sit bones. So the new saddle is white so I got the bar tape switched to match. Not sure how long the tape and seat will stay white but it does look nice at this point. Heading out for a ride tomorrow to try out the new saddle( fingers crossed no rain which would mean trainer ride). Sitting here recovering from my younger brothers wedding yesterday.
2013-09-09 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by wrkinprogress Hi everyone! Yes, I finished in 14:16 and change...will put up the race report when I get back in front of a real computer in a couple of days' time. Thanks so much for all your support and good wishes! I'm a bit stiff this morning with a couple of blisters to show for yesterday's efforts, but otherwise fine: the goal of finishing smiling and uninjured has definitely been met. More soon-- hope you're all having a wonderful weekend, and GO TODAY'S BEASTIE RACERS!! *cheers and waves pompoms*

Congrats Alex!  Looking forward to reading about your race and experience.

2013-09-09 7:59 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I had a good race yesterday at Nation's Triathlon.  Strong bike performance that I'm pleased with but a sub-par run.  Very nice weather for the entire day.  Good crowd.  Nasty bike course.  Sore today.

Here's the race report.

2013-09-10 9:20 PM

User image

New user
congratulation Melanie! 58mins for 10km isn't slow for most people. =)
2013-09-11 7:14 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Falls Church

We have a mini heat way here in the DC area.  Very warm and humid.  My glasses were fogging up at every stop on the way into work!

It's hump day!

2013-09-11 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Congrats to all the racers!!!

Mini heat wave I understand, but we have a LOVE BUG INVASION!!!

I don't know how I am going to get a bike in without getting a mouth full of bugs and this lasts for 3 weeks!!! They don't bite thank God, but they swarm and cling to everything. This is what the front of most cars look like.

Edited by Evergreen 2013-09-11 8:34 AM

(lovebug.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lovebug.jpg (10KB - 19 downloads)
2013-09-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh man, love bugs are the worst!!  I think driving in them is bad enough, I've never had to bike with them, UGH!!!  Keep your mouth closed for sure!
2013-09-12 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Love bugs?  Never really heard of them.  I will have to look them up.

Did a track workout with Team Luna Chix this morning.  Very tough.  Not necessarily the workout.  I think I am still fatigued from Sunday based on how my legs & hips feel.

2013-09-12 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OMG so pissed!!! Up at 4am, left house 5:30am drove 30 miles to pool, Stood outside of pool room (wet from shower) for 20 minutes waiting on lifeguard. Went back to locker room out of time & disappointed trying no to be mad thinking maybe he had a wreck (or flat) . An old lady comes in while i am getting ready for work and I tell her no LG. She says she is going to front desk to inquire, comes back said she passed a window on way to office and sees the LG in back of the pool room office with lights off playing on phone! 

Would like to have choked him!! Instead I reported him to front desk lady. Will not help motivate me to get up and go next week!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR

2013-09-13 4:35 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh Melody, that is just so WRONG!!!!  You have to have a reliable pool, especially when you are driving that distance to get to one.  Unbelievable he was playing on his phone!!!  I had a pool that used to be that way, you just never knew if it would be open or not, only the whole gym would be closed so not even a shower!!  So I would have to go to work like that, it was awful....
2013-09-15 1:09 PM

User image

Local Cancer charity ride Caribou ride 50km-100km ride. We did the 50km. A little down on pace as my wife is recovering from giardia virus (beaver fever). That she likely contracted during the swim of our last triathlon. Any one else ever been unlucky to have a bout with beaver fever?
2013-09-16 4:32 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dang Scott, I had to look that stuff up and it looks awful!!  Hope she has some meds to make it go away and SOON!  I gotta admit, the "beaver fever" threw me off, thought it was some kind of girlie disease, ha ha!

I am up and at 'em this Monday morning, ready to go hit the pool!  Just found out over the weekend that they are no longer open in the mornings on Tues-Thurs, which kind of messes with my training schedule, so I'm going to have to make some adjustments....  it is also time to really get going on my HM plan, I'm behind for sure!!

2013-09-16 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Dang Scott, I had to look that stuff up and it looks awful!!  Hope she has some meds to make it go away and SOON!  I gotta admit, the "beaver fever" threw me off, thought it was some kind of girlie disease, ha ha!

I am up and at 'em this Monday morning, ready to go hit the pool!  Just found out over the weekend that they are no longer open in the mornings on Tues-Thurs, which kind of messes with my training schedule, so I'm going to have to make some adjustments....  it is also time to really get going on my HM plan, I'm behind for sure!!

Bahahaha! thats exactly what I thought lol

Edited to add- it does sound really bad- hope she will be Ok!!

Edited by Evergreen 2013-09-16 3:22 PM

2013-09-16 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Hi everyone!

Race report is finally up! (Sorry, guys, I've no idea how to make the link you can just click on here...) And I've updated logs, too...feeling a bit tired still, but other than that, no ill effects from the race, hurray. A huge CONGRATS to all the other recent Beastie racers-- YOU ROCK!!

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness, Scott-- hope that gets knocked out with some solid meds and rest soon!

I echo the fury at lifeguards messing around instead of doing their jobs-- I used to be a lifeguard back in the day (pre-cell-phones!), and if any of us had been caught doing that sort of crap, out we'd have been in two seconds flat. And a good thing, too-- hope the powers that be at your pool take appropriate measures to deal with it!

Speaking of pools, I'm back in the one near work after office hours tomorrow, methinks. Will be good to continue to stretch things out and get everything moving again. (Then, of course, I take off for England Wednesday afternoon for a whole 4 days...but that's another story. )

Enjoy your weeks, O Mighty Beasties!

Alex

Edited by wrkinprogress 2013-09-16 6:01 PM
2013-09-17 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hi everyone.

It's Tuesday.  Lovely weather here in the Northern Virginia area.  Perfect for bike riding.

I am enjoying some new bike shoes.  They are much stiffer than my old ones.  I'll be wearing the new ones for a few weeks during all my rides and then set them aside for true training and racing.  Back to the old ones for normal bike commuting.

My commuter bike is in dire need of a new chain, front chain rings, and rear gears.  I am hoping to get it taken care of within the next few weeks.  I can't use the big ring anymore because the chain is so stretched out that it is not catching the gears.

Have a great day everyone.

2013-09-17 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
2013-09-17 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, Melody! Always grateful for being rescued from my own techno-ignorance!
2013-09-18 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hey Beasties!

It's Wednesday and the weather is absolutely glorious here in Northern Virginia.

Have a great day.

2013-09-18 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
I had a nice lunch ride yesterday where I almost wanted sleeves. Dry, breezy and cool. Unfortunately soon the acorns, leaves and kamikazi chipmunks and squirrels will make the rides less pleasant.

My swim group has started back up on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I've gone and done it though... I volunteered to help coach my son's swim team. So even if he has something else or skips, I'm on for an hour MWF evening. I haven't coached swimming in about a dozen years. I coached for about a dozen years, so its coming back to me quickly. Kind of like riding a bike, LOL! My voice is hoarse by the end of practice and I'm sweaty. Wonder if I can count this as some type of cross training.
2013-09-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Very cool, Andrea! Bet you'll be back in prime coaching form in no time-- and I'd say that counts as cross-training for sure.

Lovely day here-- sunny and cool. I do love autumn as a time to exercise!

Off to catch my whirlwind flight to the UK soon, but thought you'd all get a chuckle out of this: I checked my snail-mail two days ago and found a small package waiting for me. Didn't think much of it until I opened it...whereupon I thought, "WTF??" and emailed the IM race director to clarify. Sure enough, the woman in my age group who'd gone WAY faster than me actually won the women's race overall (and can I get a WOOT!! for someone in the 40-44 AG doing that, please?), so the position of "first in age group" rolled down.

So yep, I now have a plaque proclaiming me to be first in my AG at this IM! (First out of exactly one, it turns out, since anyone else in my AG didn't finish, sad to say.) And hey, how often does THAT happen? Makes me laugh every time I see it...

Have a great rest of the week, everyone-- I'll be back in the US on Sunday. Hope the weather's still good for running then!

Alex
2013-09-18 2:16 PM

User image

Nothern VA
I have a question for the non-newbie Beasties:

The lake temp next weekend at my first triathlon (can we just skip past the part where this is my first event because every time I think about it I want to pee myself from anxiety) will be between 77 and 79.

My question is, can I survive without a wetsuit? By that I mean not "should I rent one?" but will I be too cold without one in the event I can't afford the rental.

Edited by Dana_Scully 2013-09-18 2:18 PM
2013-09-18 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by wrkinprogress Sure enough, the woman in my age group who'd gone WAY faster than me actually won the women's race overall (and can I get a WOOT!! for someone in the 40-44 AG doing that, please?), so the position of "first in age group" rolled down. So yep, I now have a plaque proclaiming me to be first in my AG at this IM!

Most excellent!  I love races that do this!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29