BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-02 2:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Name: Jason/Wannabefaster. I will be comentoring this Group with Randy/Slornow. This will be our second time running a mentor group together. Randy says that I am the younger, faster mentor...... Younger, maybe. Faster, that is up for debate. Randy is smoking fast and only getting faster. He is a really good guy as well with a wealth of information about Triathlon training and life.

Available: Right now. Let's get started.

Story: 42 year old triathlete in my sixth season of Triathlon. I always worked out but some guys at work convinced me to do my first sprint triathlon and I have been hooked ever since. I have slowly worked my way up the distances and have done two Iron distance races with a third one on my schedule for this year. I will race every distance from sprint to IM over the course of the year. I am a mediocre swimmer, slightly better than mediocre cyclist but a pretty fast runner (iknd of).

Family: Married to a fabulously supportive wife and have two kids, 15 and ten. I work full time as a physician so I can definitely relate to being overscheduled and the trials and tribulations of fitting an active life style in to a very busy schedule.

Training: In 2011 I took the major step of hiring a coach. Little did I know what I was in for. My coach is hard-core and writes me a very aggressive training schedule. I usually get in two workouts a day, one in the early hours of the morning and one later in the day. Scheduling is always an issue. I have just given up on sleeping......

2012: Raced a bunch of different races with the culmination of the season being IMAZ which I finished in 10:18. Thought I might have been able to go sub-10 but didn't have it in me.

2013: I am continuing to chase the IM dream with my season wrapping up in September with IM Tahoe.

Weight loss: You can never be too rich or too thin...... Really, I am doing OK on this front.

What will make me a good mentor: I love triathlon. I have gathered a wealth of information and I really enjoy hanging out on this site and helping people get better at their athletic endeavors. Randy and I had a great group in the last go around and I am looking forward to having a lot of the old folks back and to a bunch of new folks as well. We had a very active group that covered a lot of topics (no question is too basic or too complex) and I see no reason that this will change.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-05-05 7:35 PM

2013-05-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group

Name: Slornow/Randy....as in "slower now" than I used to be.-this will be a group that I will co-mentor with Wannabefaster/Jason. I will be the older/slower mentor and Jason will be the younger/faster mentor! This will be our second mentor group together.

We are available to start immediately!

Story: Turned 50 this year and completed my 4th season of doing triathlon's. Have always participated in sports. Played tennis competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. After that I continued to workout but was more focused on weights, playing basketball and some running. Decided to give traithlon a go after having continuing injuries with running. Fortunately, I have progressed steadily over the last 4 years and have become more serious about the sport. Bike and run are my strong suit and the swim is a constant challenge! I have done everything from sprints to HIM but have been more focused on sprint/olympic distance over the last 2 years. I live in South Alabama, near Fairhope, just across the Bay from Mobile.

Family: Married for 22 years to my very tolerant wife. I have a son 19 that is a freshman in college. He runs cross country and track at the University of Alabama. I also have a daughter 18 that is about to graduate HS. She is a casual runner and plays soccer in HS.

Training: Depending on the time of year I probably average 9-12 hours a week. My bike and run volume were down a bit in 2012 but I have added more intensity. Right now I'm gearing up for Eagleman 70.3 in June so volume will be high through May.

2012 Races: I did 6 sprints and 1 olympic race. My goal heading into 2012 was to AG podium in all my races and I was fortunate that the fast people didn't show up and I finished top 2 AG in all the races. It was a real breakout year for me..helped by the fact that I aged up

2013 Season: It will be a mix of sprints, an olympic or 2 and 2 HIM races. Longshot goal for 2013 would be to qualify for the 70.3 World Championships....it's a really long longshot! I have a new coach and he is really kicking my butt so who knows how things will go. So far I have done 3 races. Made it to the age group podium in both the sprints and had a good race at IMTX 70.3 finishing 6/163 in my AG. More work to be done! Racing with the www.gulfcoasttriteam.com this year and having a great time!

Weightloss: Fortuantely not a big issue for me but I am terrible about snacking after dinner on ice cream, cookies, candy...whatever I can find. Need some help there.

What will make me a good mentor?: I was a mentee in several strong groups led by some really sharp BT members. Over the last 2 years I have co-mentored groups with Michael/Experior and we had some great members and wonderful discussions. I log all of my training here on BT and check in on the site more than I should admit. I like to see both the new and more experienced members work hard toward their goals and have success. Jason, my co-mentor, is a great guy with a strong training ethic who has taken his racing to a new level over the last year. Hopefully, between the 2 of us we can provide support and good advice and get the same back from the group.  We had a very active Winter group and are looking for another group of active engaged triathletes. All levels welcome!

2013-05-02 6:10 PM

User image

Champion

I'd like to join you guys for the summer!! Then I can update Jason on his sunscreen recommendations as I do or do not burn over the next 2 months!

NAME: Melissa Dymond

STORY: This is my 4-5th year doing triathlon. I'm a former competitive swimmer--hit about jr national level and swam varsity for UofAlberta. I started triathlon for 2 reasons: to lose weight and to get involved in competitive sport again. I spent a few seasons doing shorter distances and then decided to set my sights on IMLP in 2011 and finished in 14:02. This year my focus is IM France in 7 weeks. It's a grad present/race combo. I'm 4 days out of officially being done medical school. I've passed my school's final exam and just have the Canadian licensing exam to write. Ready to be done!! I'm moving out to Prince George, British Columbia as of July 1 to start my residency in Family Medicine. I hope to ultimately practice some combination of family med/emergency and sports medicine so I have a few more years ahead of me! 

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I am coached by Mike Ricci via online coaching/TPs. Right now I am just heading into my last big training block before IM in June. I'm spending the majority of it in Kona, HI. I leave May 11 and come back to Edmonton for my graduation before leaving for France!!

2012 RACES: 2012 was a bit of a light racing year due to school/rotations: Alberta Challenge Oly (3rd AG), Victoria Half Marathon (ended up with bilateral pneumonia after that--don't race while febrile--FYI)

2013 RACES: New Orleans Rock and Roll Half Marathon (Feb--1:56:11), California 70.3 (March--6:19:29), DC NWM (April--1:55:26)

UPCOMING: Hawaii 70.3--June 2013, IM France--June 2013. My big A race will be IM France. I think right now I am aiming for a sub 13hr, Prince George Olympic Triathlon--July 2013. Working on what the rest of the season will include....

WHY I MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: Well over the next little while I should be able to be fairly active since I'm done school until July. I am a motivated athlete and enjoy conversing with like minded individuals. I enjoy the BT community and I take away a lot from the experience of others and participating in these mentor groups!

2013-05-02 6:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey Melissa-glad to have you. Not sure when the group will go "live" but you're in.
2013-05-02 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4725035

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
You are going to love the Planet Sun stuff. I am looking forward to having enough sun here in Michigan to need it. It has been overcast here since last November......

Welcome to our happy little group.
2013-05-03 1:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I'd like to jump in early if possible.  I have to rush off to work but will post my bio later.

2013-05-03 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4725370

User image

Master
South Alabama

chapfallen - 2013-05-03 1:06 AM I'd like to jump in early if possible.  I have to rush off to work but will post my bio later.

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to your bio.

2013-05-03 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Randy and Jason, I would love to be part of this group again. Jim
2013-05-03 10:45 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jim-great to have you back! Post an updated bio when you can. You have a busy season ahead.
2013-05-03 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

You can count me in for another round! For anyone new, or just browsing, I was a member of Randy & Jason's Mentor group last time and they really know their stuff! I highly recommend them as mentors.Laughing

Name: Jamie/WoodrowCall

Story: I'm a 33-year old high school English teacher who took up running a couple years ago in order to train for the Savannah Half Marathon. I ran that, and then kept on running. In February of last year, I started triathlon training. I completed 6 triathlons last year (1 Olympic, 5 Sprints) and one half marathon. On January 1st, I started training for this year's A-race: Ironman Louisville. I'll be doing Ironman Raleigh 70.3 as a training race, with some other sprints and running races thrown in, but Louisville is my main goal. As far as athletics goes, I'm consistently mediocre: I'm not particularly fast at anything. I have made a lot of progress from when I started, but I'm nothing like fast. Physically, I've lost about 30 lbs. since I started training, even though that was never really a goal, and I'm feeling pretty great. I have a much better understanding of nutrition and how to eat than when I started training, which is one of the great benefits of triathlon training and racing.

Family: *awkward* I'm currently separated from my wife, so it's just me and my Golden Retriever, Gus, for now. 

Training: I'm on the Iron Fit Competitive Plan for Ironman Louisville, which is going well. I'm on the verge of heading into the Peak phase, which should really be something.

I'd make a good member of the group because I'm totally committed to my race in August, and triathlon training has made a tremendously positive impact on my life. I take advice, and give out what knowledge I've gained since I've started, and really enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-05-03 11:13 AM
2013-05-03 11:14 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jamie-glad to have you joining us again. You are a model of consistency in your training. Good luck this weekend in Knoxville!

2013-05-03 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Randy and Jason, I would love to join you guys again ... I will post an updated Bio some time today. 

2013-05-03 12:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Michael-great to have you with us for another round!
2013-05-03 1:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Great to have people staying with us and really excited for the infusion of new talent
2013-05-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4725083

User image

Champion

wannabefaster - 2013-05-02 5:48 PM You are going to love the Planet Sun stuff. I am looking forward to having enough sun here in Michigan to need it. It has been overcast here since last November...... Welcome to our happy little group.

I picked it up last week when I was out east visiting in NJ and DC. So I used it a little bit then. Didn't burn even though I only applied it once in the am before being out in the sun all day. Looks promising Jason The real test will be Hawaii. 

I also have my saweeet desoto cool wing to try out. I'm pretty stoked to wear my shirt back with sleeves...lol

2013-05-03 2:17 PM

I'd like to join if there's still an open spot! I have been reading this site for awhile researching tips and such, but just joined today. My husband and I are preparing for my first triathlon - this group looks exactly like what we need! Here's a little more about me....

NAME: Kathryn Rooks

STORY: 32 year old beginner triathlete who is training for my first sprint triathlon in July (and, really, my first "real" race ever). I am a life-long athlete who has always been competitive and enjoyed being active. I played sports year-round in high school, even played basketball internationally, but never really liked or enjoyed running. For that reason, I never got into running races. My husband started running 5ks and halfs two years ago, but they always seemed boring to me. Over the past few years, I've been working hard to lose the baby weight I had accumulated after having 3 kids. With determined focus, I completed 2 rounds of Insanity and 1 round of P90X. This reignited my competitive spirit and desire to establish/maintain a healthy lifestyle. Looking for a better maintenance program than those high intensity workout programs, I learned about a local sprint triathlon and thought it was a good opportunity to change up my workouts and challenge myself. We are complete newbies to this. Buying things we think we need here and there as we find them through message boards and websites. We would greatly appreciate and benefit from your help and guidance!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to an aspiring triathlete and have 3 boys (ages 8, 6 and 2). I work full time in an office, like to volunteer and play rec sports - so we constantly have a full schedule.

CURRENT TRAINING: My husband and I began unofficially training back in March until we found this website. On April 15, we officially began the 16 week sprint - swim focused training program from this site. We are currently in our 3rd week of Month 2. Most days we train together from 5-7pm, doing our cardio first and then strength training 2-3 times a week as well. We are completely dedicated, not missing one day. Swimming is definitely the biggest struggle. My running is not great, but it's getting better.

2012 RACES: I completed my first "race": a Warrior Dash (which I think is really more just fun than an actual race).

2013 RACES: sprint triathlon July 7, Warrior Dash June 15 and possibly a few more 5ks or sprint triathlon.

WHY I MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: I am extremely motivated athlete and eager to learn from others! I will respect and trust the advice given to me as a novice triathlete with the goal of becoming more educated and more experienced, and gaining a few friends along the way. Laughing 

2013-05-03 2:41 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Melissa -- glad to have another Canuck in the mix!

Kathryn -- you and your hubby sound like me and my wife... 3 small kids, just started triathlon last year.  If you have two oversized dogs, we could be twins.  Smile

Randy / Jason -- I'd like to renew as part of the group -- will post full bio this evening.

Scott.

2013-05-03 2:59 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV

I'd really like to be included in this group, I will post a full bio after my masters swim tonight.

Edit, I probably should have incuded my name, which is Mike.

Edited by mrajki 2013-05-03 3:02 PM
2013-05-03 4:47 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

This is my second turn in the Slornow and Wannabefaster mentor group.   Very happy to be back!    Some of this bio is cribbed from the first go-around, but we have some new faces...

NAME: Scott ("Hoos")

STORY:  In every marriage, there's one person who comes up with "creative" (read cockamamie) ideas -- that's my wife.  Back in May 2012, she got inspired and set Ironman as a goal -- which pulled her into the world of triathlon training -- and I got pulled in by osmosis.  I did a bit of swimming in high school, a couple of 50K bike events in university, but otherwise completely foreign to endurance sports.  Over the years, I slowly grew more and more sedentary -- I started to get a few comments from doctors "gee, you might want to think about exercising more".  For some reason, tri training just clicked for me -- I think because I like the variety.   Just hitting my “tri-versary” this week – 12 months of a regular training regimen, which is a revolution in my little world.   BT (and this mentor group) has been a godsend of accountability, support and advice.  Keep me honest, guys!

FAMILY STATUS:   Married for nearly 14 years to a fellow beginner triathlete, Kim ("Wiff" on BT).   Three kids -- boy age 6, girl age 3, boy age 1.   Best cheering squad in the business!   Two dogs and two cats.    Kim volunteers and stays home with the kids -- I work in oil & gas as a consultant -- sometimes working from home, sometimes in town, occasionally on the road.   We live out in the country (30 minutes from Calgary) -- very little traffic, nice smooth straight roads, popular area with cyclists (though somewhat hilly).   Lots of wildlife around here, so pretty common that I will see deer, coyotes or the occasional moose during a run or ride.  Not to mention the alpaca farm across the street.

CURRENT TRAINING: I ramped up my running over the winter (in part due to encouragement from this mentor group!).  Got myself up to 9-10 mile runs as a long run.  Now that nicer weather is here, I’ve dialed back the running and tried to re-establish a more balanced schedule (targeting 2 bikes, 2 swims, 2 runs per week).   My total monthly volume has been building nicely, from ~10 hours last fall to 17 hours in April.   I’ve established a set of 12 goals for 2013 (the Hoos Dozen) – two down, ten to go…

2012 RACES:   First year competing -- completed a sprint tri in September (Subaru Banff Triathlon).  Finished in 1:55:07, came in solid fourth quartile, but I finished and I had a blast.   Subsequently signed up for my first 10K in October, finished in 1:05:19.   Based on the results to date, I'd say that general fitness level and some weight loss will be the biggest improvement levers.   

2013 RACES:  Already completed the Mount Royal University sprint triathlon (April) which was downgraded to an aquathlon due to a spring blizzard.   It was an improvement – 27:07 total, middle of pack, with much improved paces on both swim and run.   Going forward, I have one endurance event per month through the summer…   MAY -- Calgary Half Marathon (my first HM!)     JUNE – Chinook 51.5 (my first Oly!)    JULY -- Subaru Vancouver Triathlon Olympic (my first ocean swim!)   AUGUST – Banff Granfondo (my first granfondo!SEPTEMBER -- Subaru Banff Triathlon sprint course, which is a repeat of last year.

WEIGHT LOSS: Started the tri journey 12 months ago at 265 lbs (I'm 6'3") – currently sitting at 235 lbs which feels a good down payment.    Had a physical earlier this year and across the board, I’m much healthier than in 2011 – better weight, better blood pressure, better resting heart rate, fewer guilt trips from the doctor.  Smile   Goal for 2013 is to be under 220 (a level I haven't seen in 6-7 years)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I post regularly.   I obsess over filling in my training logs and race reports, so easy to track my progress.  I do take advice (usually) – and I give it when I’m qualified (which isnt often)!    I’ve been training all winter, but about to shift into heavy duty race mode – lots of “firsts” coming up -- looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with the group.

2013-05-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4726583

User image

Champion
Hoos - 2013-05-03 3:47 PM

This is my second turn in the Slornow and Wannabefaster mentor group.   Very happy to be back!    Some of this bio is cribbed from the first go-around, but we have some new faces...

NAME: Scott ("Hoos")

STORY:  In every marriage, there's one person who comes up with "creative" (read cockamamie) ideas -- that's my wife.  Back in May 2012, she got inspired and set Ironman as a goal -- which pulled her into the world of triathlon training -- and I got pulled in by osmosis.  I did a bit of swimming in high school, a couple of 50K bike events in university, but otherwise completely foreign to endurance sports.  Over the years, I slowly grew more and more sedentary -- I started to get a few comments from doctors "gee, you might want to think about exercising more".  For some reason, tri training just clicked for me -- I think because I like the variety.   Just hitting my “tri-versary” this week – 12 months of a regular training regimen, which is a revolution in my little world.   BT (and this mentor group) has been a godsend of accountability, support and advice.  Keep me honest, guys!

FAMILY STATUS:   Married for nearly 14 years to a fellow beginner triathlete, Kim ("Wiff" on BT).   Three kids -- boy age 6, girl age 3, boy age 1.   Best cheering squad in the business!   Two dogs and two cats.    Kim volunteers and stays home with the kids -- I work in oil & gas as a consultant -- sometimes working from home, sometimes in town, occasionally on the road.   We live out in the country (30 minutes from Calgary) -- very little traffic, nice smooth straight roads, popular area with cyclists (though somewhat hilly).   Lots of wildlife around here, so pretty common that I will see deer, coyotes or the occasional moose during a run or ride.  Not to mention the alpaca farm across the street.

CURRENT TRAINING: I ramped up my running over the winter (in part due to encouragement from this mentor group!).  Got myself up to 9-10 mile runs as a long run.  Now that nicer weather is here, I’ve dialed back the running and tried to re-establish a more balanced schedule (targeting 2 bikes, 2 swims, 2 runs per week).   My total monthly volume has been building nicely, from ~10 hours last fall to 17 hours in April.   I’ve established a set of 12 goals for 2013 (the Hoos Dozen) – two down, ten to go…

2012 RACES:   First year competing -- completed a sprint tri in September (Subaru Banff Triathlon).  Finished in 1:55:07, came in solid fourth quartile, but I finished and I had a blast.   Subsequently signed up for my first 10K in October, finished in 1:05:19.   Based on the results to date, I'd say that general fitness level and some weight loss will be the biggest improvement levers.   

2013 RACES:  Already completed the Mount Royal University sprint triathlon (April) which was downgraded to an aquathlon due to a spring blizzard.   It was an improvement – 27:07 total, middle of pack, with much improved paces on both swim and run.   Going forward, I have one endurance event per month through the summer…   MAY -- Calgary Half Marathon (my first HM!)     JUNE – Chinook 51.5 (my first Oly!)    JULY -- Subaru Vancouver Triathlon Olympic (my first ocean swim!)   AUGUST – Banff Granfondo (my first granfondo!SEPTEMBER -- Subaru Banff Triathlon sprint course, which is a repeat of last year.

WEIGHT LOSS: Started the tri journey 12 months ago at 265 lbs (I'm 6'3") – currently sitting at 235 lbs which feels a good down payment.    Had a physical earlier this year and across the board, I’m much healthier than in 2011 – better weight, better blood pressure, better resting heart rate, fewer guilt trips from the doctor.  Smile   Goal for 2013 is to be under 220 (a level I haven't seen in 6-7 years)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I post regularly.   I obsess over filling in my training logs and race reports, so easy to track my progress.  I do take advice (usually) – and I give it when I’m qualified (which isnt often)!    I’ve been training all winter, but about to shift into heavy duty race mode – lots of “firsts” coming up -- looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with the group.

TWO Albertans? lol. Well I guess pretty soon I'm a British Columbian...but still....

I want to do Banff this year but right now looks like I have to go to an obstetrical course in Richmond that weekend. Booo.

Nice to have you in the group Scott!

2013-05-03 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4726583

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

NAME: Rachel (chapfallen)

STORY: As Scott mentioned, in every relationship there's someone who comes up with mad ideas.  In my marriage that's my husband.  In 2010 my husband came home one day and said that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before he hit 30.  I had to ask what a triathlon was.  To summarise, we did a couple of short, small events that year and got involved with the local tri club.  And then we were hooked.  Each year I've had fairly modest plans and then somewhere along the way I've been dragged along with some kind of stupid idea that my husband has.  So 2011 was meant to be a first attempt at OLY distance, and landed up being my first HIM.  And 2012 saw us completing IM Switzerland.  This year we're signed up for Outlaw, which is a non branded iron distance triathlon that about 20 people from our club are participating in.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married, no kids.  Unfortunately my husband has recently injured his back and is currently out of training.  He's been having regular physio, but he's been out of action for 3 weeks and still can't cycle or run.  It's not looking very promising for him doing Outlaw.  So potentially my support crew is going to have one extra person...

CURRENT TRAINING: I work 24/7 shifts and haven't really found a training plan that works for me, so my training is very fluid.  I've spent the last few years learning what works for me and am currently doing 2xswim and 3xbike/run per week.  Swim is my "best" discipline, so needs less time.

2012 RACES:  Did a couple of sprints and then my first IM.  Completed it in 14hr32min, which was pretty close to a perfect day for me.  That was despite crashing on the bike 4 days before the race, which landed me in hospital with a damaged shoulder and broken finger (plus a lot of road rash) and nearly saw me out of the race completely.  I'm hoping this year will be slightly less dramatic.

2013 RACES:  Completed a HM last weekend with a PB of 1:56:03, which is my first HM under 2 hours, so REALLY pleased with that.  I'm doing the same two sprints as last year, with the first this coming Monday, and then Outlaw is 7th July.  I don't have anything planned for after that because I tend to have a fairly long recovery period after my long races.  I'm hoping to improve on my time from last year, as this bike course is nice and flat and I've recently invested in a tri bike.

WEIGHT LOSS: I've lost a lot of weight since I started on the triathlon journey, but it tends to creep up a little in the "off" season (which I've recently read is a healthy way to do things - I just couldn't help it!).  Currently sitting at around 73kg and hoping to race at 70kg.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:   I log my training obsessively (I like seeing my little graph grow each week) and I've been a member of a mentor group every session since I started this journey.  I tend to be an active member of my group.  I have been through a lot of the "newbie" stuff that others go through and love to share my experience where I have it, and learn from others where I don't.  I've gained something different from every mentor group I've been in, and love the fact that I've made friends and learned along the way.

2013-05-03 6:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Been out of pocket running errands and getting an easy run in. Welcome everyone that has joined since my last post. Right now we have 10 by my count including Jason and I. We will probably get a few more from our previous group but have room for some mor new folks as well. Most of the time the groups start in the 15 range. We may go a little larger than that since we have so many people returning. Plus, there are always a few that drop out.

Anyone have big plans for the weekend? Anybody racing? For me I have 2 really TOUGH training days ahead. By far my hardest bike workout to date tomorrow followed by a 3 mile brick run and another 11 or so miles on Sunday. Forecast for Sunday afternoon is lots of couch time!

2013-05-03 7:39 PM

Hi guys, I would really like to join if you'll have me.

Name: Laura

Story: I fell in love with triathlons five years ago at the age of 31 and have been racing ever since. I am definitely not an athlete, but I really enjoy the experiences and education that this sport has provided. I stay at home with my school-aged kids, so training during the school year is a breeze but Summer is super hard. I moved last Summer and have struggled to find a community of triathletes in this area. Everyone trains when I have the kids or is super fast or in a different mindset. I completed IMFL in November (15:35--yes it was a very, very, very long day) and haven't gotten back on track with training since then. Burnt out and looking for motivation.

Family: Awesome husband is very supportive-he did IMLOU in 2011, but we both agree it is time to focus more on the kids and less on racing. Finding a balance in priorities is a new thing for us--we can make anything work, but we are changing what we want to prioritize. Kids are 8 and almost 6 (boy and girl).

Training: very sporadic since October

2012 races: local sprint in May, Eagleman (2nd half), Chesapeakeman Aquabike, IMFL (1st full)

2013: looking at a sprint in early August and then maybe some fall races

Weight: Climbing steeply. Normally training keeps me at a great healthy-if-not-perfectly-skinny weight. Sugar is a major battle for me.

Why I would be a good mentee: I am really searching for folks to share the triathlon side of my life. I know swimmers and runners and lots of other friends, but miss other folks to talk tri with. Community is important. I need something to get me back to motivated as I was for so long, I am hoping you guys are it. I hope I can contribute something too--i have made almost every mistake possible and have learned every lesson. I want to get my toes back on a starting line and learn some more.
2013-05-03 7:42 PM

I would like to join your group as well. Total newbie to triathlon. Out right now, but will put a bio up soon!

Thanks,

Kate

2013-05-03 8:21 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Laura/Kate-happy to have you with us.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88