BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-11-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by wannabefaster  On the training front; I feel on the verge of a swimming breakthrough (have I said that before, over and over, every season?). I just feel different in the water than I have in the past. I have taken a couple seconds/100 off of my time but I sense that more is out there just waiting for me to get to it. Of course I could jump in the pool today and have a terrible swim. It is hard to predict. Let me say it again how jealous I am of those who swam as kids and just have that "feel" for the water that seems so elusive to me.

I've heard people speak in whispered tones of this "swimming breakthrough." Ah, but certainly it is a myth since I have never seen one of these elusive creatures myself. It must exist in a world with the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Extraterrestrials and humble Duke fans......people say they exist but there is no proof. So, if you lock onto one of these "swimming breakthroughs" please share with me as I am a confirmed non-believer!

Edited by slornow 2013-11-26 1:34 PM

2013-11-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jimmy-you are on to something with the Christmas tree. I hate getting that sucker out of the attic and wrestling it into position. My wife does all the decorating so I shouldn't complain but man I dread getting that thing out and putting it up. Maybe something like a projected hollogram?

2013-11-26 7:34 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey gang, just checking in! I've been steadily working out, but taking it a good bit easier than regular season training. I actually went to my first Master's swim class last Wednesday, and enjoyed it. I was terrible at drills, but my endurance was good enough to not look terrible. Luckily, I didn't have to do any other strokes than freestyle! I think I'll definitely lean on Master's for my next IM. All those workouts this year of just lap after lap got old! I'm heading to see some family in NC tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get a few runs in while I'm there. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday! Randy and Jason, are you guys mentoring again in December?
2013-11-26 7:43 PM

User image

Master
My tri-related Christmas present is any early one. It's my trip to Saipan for a bike race with a bunch of other folks from Guam.

Turket Trot or a regular run with my new mini running group on Thanksgiving morning. A couple tri-ladies and I are getting together twice a week to run. It's nice and relaxed. I do miss the intensity of my old running group, but most of the people have left island (military folks). They made me a stronger runner, for sure.

I'm thinking of getting back with the swim team for twice weekly swim training. I also miss the intensity of that. I've been able to focus on form more swimming on my own and feel a little better at it, so I think I can improve a little more now adding in the swim team workouts. Those are always killer, so I'm a little scared, haha!

Lots of time on my bike trainer. Did my first 2.5 hours on it and have to admit, the discomfort in my seat was enough to make want to scratch my eyes out. ACK!

Hope you're all doing well!
2013-11-26 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster  On the training front; I feel on the verge of a swimming breakthrough (have I said that before, over and over, every season?). I just feel different in the water than I have in the past. I have taken a couple seconds/100 off of my time but I sense that more is out there just waiting for me to get to it. Of course I could jump in the pool today and have a terrible swim. It is hard to predict. Let me say it again how jealous I am of those who swam as kids and just have that "feel" for the water that seems so elusive to me.

I've heard people speak in whispered tones of this "swimming breakthrough." Ah, but certainly it is a myth since I have never seen one of these elusive creatures myself. It must exist in a world with the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Extraterrestrials and humble Duke fans......people say they exist but there is no proof. So, if you lock onto one of these "swimming breakthroughs" please share with me as I am a confirmed non-believer!

Sorry guys but they do exist. They are different in magnitude but I do still remember a couple. I never raced a 59 second 100 free in my life. I hung around 1:00 flat for months and then finally went 58:50 my freshman year in HS. Not a real big breakthrough but very important to me at the time. In subsequent years I went sub 49:00 but never a race in the 59 second slot. I also remember the first time I broke 2:00 in the 200 free at 1:52.

If you want to see it for yourself stop thinking about it. Just do the work and it will come out of nowhere and surprise you.

Now for me, a 30 minute 5k would be a miracle breakthrough!
2013-11-26 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
On the topic of Christmas trees maybe this will interest you. After a while the same old was just not fun any more. For many years we would go to a nursery and buy a tree, any tree the kids picked out in a 5 gallon container. We would decorate that and after the holidays plant it in the yard. It's amazing what you can make look festive if the spirit is willing.

We had tried a few other things over the years that turned out to be fun and different. For the past 15 years my brother and I have exchanged a basket, alternating every year. When I have the basket I get stuff for him and his girlfriend but everything must stay in the basket when you pick it up without any assistance from being artificially held in. When I give the basket all I am allowed to receive is home baked good. Connie makes great cookies. The next year they do the same for us.

Also because as we get older we tend to buy what we want trying to find something to have the spouse get you can be difficult. So for a few years we did something that turned out to be a lot more fun than you might think. I would buy all my own presents and wrap them in secret and my wife would do the same. Then she would open what I bought for me and I would open what she bought for herself.

Just a few odd ideas from someone who has been through a few more holidays than most of if not all the group.

2013-11-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Yes. Planning another mentor group. All are welcome to stay for another session but our feelings won't be hurt if people want to see what is available in the other groups. We will provide more info as the time gets closer.

Stuart. My goal right now is to go 1:10 for a 100 free. It feels tantalizingly close but yet so far away. I keep doing the work. I think if I swam twice as much........ it might come easier.
2013-11-26 9:46 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Hey gang, just checking in! I've been steadily working out, but taking it a good bit easier than regular season training. I actually went to my first Master's swim class last Wednesday, and enjoyed it. I was terrible at drills, but my endurance was good enough to not look terrible. Luckily, I didn't have to do any other strokes than freestyle! I think I'll definitely lean on Master's for my next IM. All those workouts this year of just lap after lap got old! I'm heading to see some family in NC tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get a few runs in while I'm there. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday! Randy and Jason, are you guys mentoring again in December?

Jamie-enjoyed your blog post on the master's swim class. Good job.

Yes, Jason has agreed to carry me through another mentor group. As long as I have the incriminating photos and negatives he seems willing to co-mentor with me. . Everyone is of course welcome to join us for another session but do not feel obligated. Lots of good groups out there. Don't be afraid to branch out. Also, I think we have some folks that would be great mentors themselves. I really like doing it as a partnership as it takes some of the pressure off and we are able to be consistent even when one of us may be away or wrapped up in those pesky non-triathlon related activities.

Stuart-I'm swimming alot but seem to be at a plateau or possibly slipping a little. Think I'm going to go get a video done and a couple of lessons. Hopefully, I will make some gains....right now it just feels like a struggle.     

2013-11-26 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
For what its worth, the biggest improvements I made over a 'short' period of time was three months I spent doing two workouts a day, one hour apart. The first was 60 minutes of just swimming. Nothing shorter than 1000 yards at a time so 4 x 1000 would be the shortest swims, not pushing hard but working on form and rhythm. I use the word rhythm a lot but I don't know any other way to describe it. You will know it when you find it however. Strong steady swimming with just a few minutes rest between each. The idea is not to come out of that hour spent but to know you did quality work.

Then rest one hour and then hit the pool for a normal workout. As a competitive swimmer that second workout was 2 hours so in total maybe a lot for most people. However, I am a big believer in the concept. Get some pre workout yards in that are quality stroke work. Take a rest and then hit your workout. What your body learned from the first stroke work will carry over to the hard stuff.

Cut those numbers in half, 30 minute first swim but keep the distances 500-1000 yards x as many as you can get done in the time allotted. Rest for an hour and then hit your normal workout. Try that for two or three months and I guarantee you with see a breakthrough. NO time trials during this period though!
2013-11-26 10:52 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I bought myself two pairs of running shoes that I am sure will be wrapped and put under the tree so I have something to open.

I want a few books. "The Essential Sheehan" looks interesting to me. I would like hardcover editions of "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage." They are like old friends that I go back to read again and again.

I think allowing me to sign up for IMAZ was my main Christmas present.

One of the problems that we have in our house is that my wife and I tend to go out and buy whatever we want/need as we go. That doesn't leave too much for the Christmas lists. It doesn't help that I am one of the world's worst gift givers. Any suggestions from the group on what to get the wife who has (almost) everything?

---------------------------------------------------

Jason, write her a poem.
Incredibly personal, very romantic, something only you can write to her.

You could print it off on something pretty and roll it up/tie it for presentation, or frame it.

Don't be afraid of it, I just wrote one after reading some simple how to's.

You could keep it simple and short! Might be a Wow gift!
2013-11-26 10:58 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

New user
Hi guys, I have enjoyed reading about the races and accomplishments lately.

I have been running and cycling on the gym bike.

I hopped on the treadmill tonight and was pleasantly surprised with my workout. It has been months since I got on it, I really found it a hard way to run. The narrow space made me nervous and the run on it seemed harder.
I suppose it is my increased mileage and fitness but it was pleasant tonight!
An unexpected development and a new workout tool for me!

2013-11-27 7:31 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Chunga

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I bought myself two pairs of running shoes that I am sure will be wrapped and put under the tree so I have something to open.

I want a few books. "The Essential Sheehan" looks interesting to me. I would like hardcover editions of "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage." They are like old friends that I go back to read again and again.

I think allowing me to sign up for IMAZ was my main Christmas present.

One of the problems that we have in our house is that my wife and I tend to go out and buy whatever we want/need as we go. That doesn't leave too much for the Christmas lists. It doesn't help that I am one of the world's worst gift givers. Any suggestions from the group on what to get the wife who has (almost) everything?

---------------------------------------------------

Jason, write her a poem.
Incredibly personal, very romantic, something only you can write to her.

You could print it off on something pretty and roll it up/tie it for presentation, or frame it.

Don't be afraid of it, I just wrote one after reading some simple how to's.

You could keep it simple and short! Might be a Wow gift!

I like it. She will probably laugh at me but in a good way.

Years ago I made a list of the reasons why I love her. I think she may still have it in her underwear drawer (or somewhere).

Of course, she cruises this forum so she might have an idea that it is coming.
2013-11-27 8:25 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Just a drive by to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

I'm trying to stay focused enough to work from home at least for a few hours then I have to start cooking! Luckily the house is already clean.

(oh and my black Friday plans include a scheduled fit session at the LBS for a tri bike and an MTB ride - EEK)
2013-11-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I'm looking forward to my 10K tomorrow it's one of the bigger races in our area, after that family food and beer. Sounds like a good day. Friday I'll be channeling my inner Clark Griswold but I'll try to get a good bike ride in first it's to nice here not to ride, which is odd for November.
2013-11-27 8:32 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone here who celebrates Thanksgiving to have a great day.

I had a cold, rainy, windy 4+ miler this morning. It was NOT enjoyable. Running into the wind was simply painful (the rain pelting my face, plus I was like a giant windsock catching the full blast of the wind). Planning on an easy 30 minute run in the morning and a good walk with the pups before I settle in for some serious essay grading and then Thanksgiving at my sister's house. I have a 10K on Saturday morning, and then back to more essay grading.

Scored some sweet midweight cycling knickers from Competitive Cyclist yesterday at half price as well as some full finger gloves. Bike's getting a little cold.
2013-11-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert

Happy Turkey Day everyone! Indoor trainer ride on tap for today. Just restarted my Trainer Road Subscription to help get me through the winter!!

2013-11-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

9 mile run in 25 degree temps. Not cold for alot of you but brutally cold for me! It wasn't pretty but its done. 

2013-11-28 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Happy Thanksgiving to all! Try to stay warm and enjoy the time with family and friends!

Stuart
2013-11-28 1:27 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Happy Thanksgiving Gang!!!

6F for our 10K turkey run this morning, but we still had a whopping 8,000 people toe the line just the same.  Very cool to see how much the race has grown in 10 years.

Finished 5/68 in my AG so not too bad and better than I thought it would be.  Next year, hope to crack the top 3.  We'll see!

2013-11-28 8:16 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good job Suzy!

2013-11-29 6:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Just got back from a night time 5k. I thought it was totally flat but it was not. Finish was 3/4 mile up a gradual but significant hill. 19:05 total time. Thought I was going to break that elusive 19:00 barrier but that will have to be another day. I didn't look at the garmin at all. Ran by feel. I got to the fastest pace I felt I could sustain and tried to keep it there.

It is funny doing a 5k. If you do it right you should feel like you are going to die but ten minutes later I was able to run a couple very easy cool down miles. And, as it was about 30 degrees out I definitely cooled right down.

2013-11-29 9:33 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster Just got back from a night time 5k. I thought it was totally flat but it was not. Finish was 3/4 mile up a gradual but significant hill. 19:05 total time. Thought I was going to break that elusive 19:00 barrier but that will have to be another day. I didn't look at the garmin at all. Ran by feel. I got to the fastest pace I felt I could sustain and tried to keep it there. It is funny doing a 5k. If you do it right you should feel like you are going to die but ten minutes later I was able to run a couple very easy cool down miles. And, as it was about 30 degrees out I definitely cooled right down.

Sweet!  I can't even imagine running one mile at a 6:0X pace let alone 3!

2013-11-30 9:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am a bit sore this morning…….

Results are finally up. Glad I didn't stick around. My time would have put me in 17th place OA, Masters winner, AG winner LAST year…….

THIS year my time put me 26th OA, 4th Masters, 3rd AG :) Masters winner was 17:12 so it is not like I was close…...

I guess it really is all in who shows up on race day. Winner went 15:11. No matter how fast you might get, there is always someone out there you will lay you to shame. I guess it is time to get back to work.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-11-30 9:46 AM
2013-11-30 2:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tough loss for Michigan. Let's go Bama. Roll Tide!

2013-11-30 3:33 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by slornow

Tough loss for Michigan. Let's go Bama. Roll Tide!

I CANNOT believe Michigan went for the 2 point conversion! They literally handed my Buckeyes the win. I'm grateful for the win, but honestly, Ohio State's got to play better than that.

Ran my Turkey Trot 10K this morning. Chilly and windy was the order for the day. It's killing me that I can't seem to get under that elusive hour barrier (ran it in 1:01:07), but I'm more than pleased with my splits. I ran every single mile within a 10 second pace of one another, and mile 6 was my fastest mile. I also ran a negative split which makes me happy. I met a lovely lady right around mile 2 1/2 that I ran with for the remainder of the run. We ran well together.

Going for a bike ride tomorrow with friends, runs this week and another 10K next week.

Are they going to boot us out of this group after today? I know they're opening up another mentor group tomorrow, yes?

Jason and Randy...are you both mentoring again?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88