BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-11-30 4:15 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Nice job on the 10K. You'll break an hour before long.

Yes, we are going to do a mentor group again. I don't think we are quite done with this one yet….

2013-11-30 5:10 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nice job Nancy!

2013-11-30 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great job Nancy!!

Talked about being depressed.  The Badgers were absolutely awful.  We were hoping to head to Miami to cheer them on at the  Orange Bowl.  Not anymore.  BOO!!!

2013-11-30 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great job Nancy!!

Talked about being depressed.  The Badgers were absolutely awful.  We were hoping to head to Miami to cheer them on at the  Orange Bowl.  Not anymore.  BOO!!!

PS.  Where do you see that the Mentor Groups are changing?  I don't see that anywhere.

2013-11-30 6:23 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by SSMinnow

Great job Nancy!!

PS.  Where do you see that the Mentor Groups are changing?  I don't see that anywhere.

Not changing yet. Main forum page says new groups will start in December.

Not sure how to log the workout I'm getting from pacing throughout the Bama game.....ugh!!!!

2013-11-30 6:28 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow.......Alabama played poorly and Auburn came to play. But can't help but say that Auburn is the luckiest team ever after the Georgia game and the game tonight.  Alabama was outplayed....this one will hurt for a looooong time.

2013-12-01 7:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm giddy with delight this morning!! Set-up Events released some of their dates for the SC and GA series 2014 triathlons. We're getting TWO more local tris in 2014, a sprint in March (at Fort Gordon with a pool swim) and a Sprint and Olympic in early May up at Strom Thurmond/Clarks Hill Lake. Nothing better than events less than 30 minutes from the house.

Also, Augusta put in a bid for a 2015 full Ironman...who knows if they'll get it, but one of our members on the Augusta Sports Council says that the Mayor believes it's very promising. With a downcurrent swim, who could pass that up? My only dilemma is that it would be April of 2015. I think training through the winter for your first full would be tough.

I waited too long to register for Raleigh. I knew I'd be close, but have to wait moneywise for my husband to get through the Web.Com tour's qualifying school next week to see what his season is going to look like--here's hoping for a top 45 finish! I'm contemplating the following next year:

Feb--Augusta Half marathon
March--Ft. Gordon sprint
April--Palmetto Half marathon
May--Tall Pines Olympic
June--Tri the Midlands sprint or Greenwood Olympic
July--Mistletoe (local) sprint
August--possible Lake Logan (Asheville, NC area) half
Sept--Hot Dam Olympic
Sept--Augusta half

Edited by glfprncs 2013-12-01 7:23 AM
2013-12-01 9:22 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy,

Congratulations on getting more local races. Like you said, it is hard to beat events close to home.

Your schedule looks great to me. I like the once a month spacing so you can race, recover, train and race again. That is always what I try to when I build my schedule.

Did Raleigh fill? If so, bummer, but you still have a lot of great races on the schedule.
2013-12-01 1:23 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm contemplating the following next year:

Feb--Augusta Half marathon
March--Ft. Gordon sprint
April--Palmetto Half marathon
May--Tall Pines Olympic
June--Tri the Midlands sprint or Greenwood Olympic
July--Mistletoe (local) sprint
August--possible Lake Logan (Asheville, NC area) half
Sept--Hot Dam Olympic
Sept--Augusta half

That's quite a schedule!! So far I have 4 on my must do list and I get giddy thinking about next season too!

May: VT Key bank half marathon
June: Patriot half relay (I'm swimming - crazy, right?) Already registered
June: VT Tri festival VT
September: Pumpkinman half iron Already registered

Had a great turkey day - followed by 4 hours at the LBS getting fit and talking tri bikes. Now I have the biggest FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. It seems to be coming down to the Trek Speed Concept (7 or 7.5) or the Felt B12 - there is a pretty big price tag difference so I'm dissecting it from every angle. I have a thread at ST so I don't want to bore anyone but if you want to chime in, I welcome all opinions! THANKS!
2013-12-01 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Ugh! Is there a "reply" button that just for replying in general?!

Suzy: Man, you inspire me with your running!

Nancy: Yay for more local races! I wish we'd get a half and full Ironman in these parts soon. It's so expensive to travel! We have all the other distances, at lest. Great looking schedule. Year round fitness right there.

Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving break! I Turkey Trotted then we had a great dinner at my parents house. Then, food poisoning. Yuck! I swear, bad food awaits me wherever I go.

My 2014's not completely planned yet. I do know I will be doing the Xterra in March and full marathon in April. Of course, all the races locally that include the 2 miles Cocos Crossing and a couple Olympic distances. I'd love to fit in a 70.3. The closest "Ironman" event is in the Philippines in August. I have to see how the year pans out and find out if husband will be deploying beyond the 45 days starting in February.

I leave for the 100K bike race on Friday on a neighboring island. Bunch of Guammies going so it should be fun.
2013-12-01 2:58 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Did Raleigh fill? If so, bummer, but you still have a lot of great races on the schedule.

Yes, it did. I just couldn't justify the $$ right now knowing that Augusta half will be opening in the next few weeks and I'll be plopping down my $200+ like everyone else.

2013-12-01 4:51 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-great schedule. Always nice to race locally. Close to home, less expense and lots of familiar faces.

Blanda-good luck with the bike race. Is this an off road/mountain bike race?

Randee-new bike....tough problem to have. Go with the one that excites you the most if the fit works well on both. Of course, that is typically the one that costs more. Let me help......allow me to rationalize this for you. Say you are going to ride the bike 6000 miles over the few years/life of the bike. The one you want costs $1500 more. That's only 25 cents a mile more to ride the bike you "really" want.  Or, say you average 17mph over those 6000 miles....that is 353 hours....or $4.25 extra an hour to ride the more expensive bike. Certainly not an excessive amount. There is always a way to rationalize spending more for what you really want. May not be a good idea but there is a way. I really like the new Speed Concepts....saw one at AG Nats at the Trek tent....very sleek.

The alternative argument is to go with the cheaper bike and use the money difference on aero helmet and/or race wheels.  I don't think I'm helping much  

November numbers:

swim         13h 16m        43550 yards

bike           17h 14m        348.54 miles    

run             15h 34m       112.15 miles

Seems to be a swim/run focus lately for me. Only riding 2-3 times a week but had a really good bike workout today 

2013-12-01 5:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-new bike....tough problem to have. Go with the one that excites you the most if the fit works well on both. Of course, that is typically the one that costs more. Let me help......allow me to rationalize this for you. Say you are going to ride the bike 6000 miles over the few years/life of the bike. The one you want costs $1500 more. That's only 25 cents a mile more to ride the bike you "really" want.  Or, say you average 17mph over those 6000 miles....that is 353 hours....or $4.25 extra an hour to ride the more expensive bike. Certainly not an excessive amount. There is always a way to rationalize spending more for what you really want. May not be a good idea but there is a way. I really like the new Speed Concepts....saw one at AG Nats at the Trek tent....very sleek.

The alternative argument is to go with the cheaper bike and use the money difference on aero helmet and/or race wheels.  I don't think I'm helping much  

OMG LOL

I should know better than to ask YOU guys for help I also told Jason he did the right thing registering for IMAZ

Thanks - I'm going to forward this to my husband.
2013-12-01 6:32 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-read the post on ST so I have a better idea of what the differences are. I don't think you will notice a difference between 10 and 11 speed but looking down the road it will be better to have 11 spd on something you are buying new now that 11 spd is out. Better compatibility 2-3 years down the road and likely better resale value at some point.  Similar with the Ultegra versus 105 debate. Don't know if I could tell the difference without looking at them when shifting but Ultegra gets into the "elite" level of components in my opinion. Long term durability should be better and again resale should be better. Now with that said you could always upgrade the 105 down the road to Ultegra once it wears. You could do that piece by piece with the rear derailleur being the biggest difference maker. 105 versus Ultegra brakes on a tri bike are a wash. Frankly great brakes on a tri bike are nice but nowhere near as important as on a roadie. Sounds like you have a good LBS. Lean on them for their advice but of course the more you spend the more they make. Keep in mind you will probably need new pedals, maybe some nice carbon cages etc.. so keep a little $$ set aside for that in the total cost.  The new P3 is really nice and I would look hard at it if I were in the market right now but there does seem to be a premium price on Cervelos.

Bottom line....get what puts the biggest smile on your face and makes you want to ride the hell out of it.  I got a really nice bike 3 years ago....much better than my skills warranted and I rode a ton the first year I had it. Didn't want to be the slow old guy with the really nice bike!

Keep us updated. This is fun!

2013-12-01 6:38 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee-read the post on ST so I have a better idea of what the differences are. I don't think you will notice a difference between 10 and 11 speed but looking down the road it will be better to have 11 spd on something you are buying new now that 11 spd is out. Better compatibility 2-3 years down the road and likely better resale value at some point.  Similar with the Ultegra versus 105 debate. Don't know if I could tell the difference without looking at them when shifting but Ultegra gets into the "elite" level of components in my opinion. Long term durability should be better and again resale should be better. Now with that said you could always upgrade the 105 down the road to Ultegra once it wears. You could do that piece by piece with the rear derailleur being the biggest difference maker. 105 versus Ultegra brakes on a tri bike are a wash. Frankly great brakes on a tri bike are nice but nowhere near as important as on a roadie. Sounds like you have a good LBS. Lean on them for their advice but of course the more you spend the more they make. Keep in mind you will probably need new pedals, maybe some nice carbon cages etc.. so keep a little $$ set aside for that in the total cost.  The new P3 is really nice and I would look hard at it if I were in the market right now but there does seem to be a premium price on Cervelos.

Bottom line....get what puts the biggest smile on your face and makes you want to ride the hell out of it.  I got a really nice bike 3 years ago....much better than my skills warranted and I rode a ton the first year I had it. Didn't want to be the slow old guy with the really nice bike!

Keep us updated. This is fun!

Thanks for your help!

I think I do want the Trek - but it is significantly more $$. And really I don't have an opportunity to try either. There aren't really any tri shops near me and if there were, they wouldn't stock smalls. So it's blind faith. I read my DH your post above and he laughed and said "sounds good to me. Stop looking and buy the Trek."

I just need to be sure in my mind I guess. And there's no real rush so I'm reading all I can and talking to everyone I can. It really seems like both are quality bikes and no one has said they purchased one or the other and regretted it. So I probably can't go wrong either way. Just one way could be more right
2013-12-01 7:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

You can't go wrong with any of the bikes you are considering. Like you said, there is no rush, but if you are like me you will obsess over it until the decsion is made. Can't tell you how many hours I spent looking at road bikes online/ebay before finally deciding. Pretty much ended up with the same thing I would have bought if I had only one hour to decide. Like I said.....hard to look beyond what puts the biggest smile on your face when you look at it. Not only now but a year or two down the road. The "newness" will wear off but not your satisfaction with something you really enjoy. 

2013-12-01 7:40 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

You can't go wrong with any of the bikes you are considering. Like you said, there is no rush, but if you are like me you will obsess over it until the decsion is made. Can't tell you how many hours I spent looking at road bikes online/ebay before finally deciding. Pretty much ended up with the same thing I would have bought if I had only one hour to decide. Like I said.....hard to look beyond what puts the biggest smile on your face when you look at it. Not only now but a year or two down the road. The "newness" will wear off but not your satisfaction with something you really enjoy. 

You got me pegged. It's the last thing I think about at night and the first thing I think about when I wake up. Yeah I'm obsessed.
2013-12-02 5:40 AM

User image

Master
Randy: It's a road bike race, so something a little different!

Played soccer last night and I think I wasn't ready. Feeling cruddy again today .

You know, it's costing me more to fly my bike to and from Saipan for this bike race than it is myself?! Sunuvagun. I need to find a bike bag that meets luggage specifications.

Back to resting.
2013-12-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Things are a little bit slow around here now that most of us are in to the off-season portion of the year.

Everybody OK?

Any off-season training plan questions or concerns?

Like Randy, I am doing a bit of a bike/run focus for the next month or two. A lot of swimming on the schedule. Did a 400 yard timed test yesterday and went 5:46 which is agonizingly slow if you are a real swimmer, but for me it meant I kept it under 1:30/100 for the whole thing. It made me happy. I have an 800 yard timed test on Friday. It will be interesting to see if I can do that one in less than 12 minutes. I would be really excited if I could. My coach uses all of this testing to set training paces throughout the year so how they go can be pretty important when it comes to training.
2013-12-04 9:22 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Well I'm back to life after last week I ended up DNS my turkey trot woke up with a 102* fever so stayed in bed all day, took a couple of days to get over that then while putting up the christmas lights I slipped on the ladder and I think pulled a groin muscle, having some swelling and pain so my training lately has been a lot of RICE.
2013-12-04 9:42 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
update: I am no closer to picking a bike today than I was last Friday. LOL

so......no change.

2013-12-04 3:11 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Hey Blanda - someone posted this on ST and I thought of you

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/02/21724382-two-thousand-mi...

CRAZY!!!

Be sure to carry some tylenol with you if you go out alone
2013-12-04 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Things are a little bit slow around here now that most of us are in to the off-season portion of the year.

Everybody OK?

Any off-season training plan questions or concerns?

Like Randy, I am doing a bit of a bike/run focus for the next month or two. A lot of swimming on the schedule. Did a 400 yard timed test yesterday and went 5:46 which is agonizingly slow if you are a real swimmer, but for me it meant I kept it under 1:30/100 for the whole thing. It made me happy. I have an 800 yard timed test on Friday. It will be interesting to see if I can do that one in less than 12 minutes. I would be really excited if I could. My coach uses all of this testing to set training paces throughout the year so how they go can be pretty important when it comes to training.

Hey, I know I've been quiet, but I've kept up with some off-season training. I'm still running more than anything, but less than I was during the season. I'm also heading to a Master's Swim class again tonight. It's tough being challenged in a new way (drills, kicking, different strokes, etc.) but the fact that it's a regularly scheduled class makes me a lot more likely to show up! It's too easy to say that swimming is never a long part of any triathlon, so it isn't all that important! Then I remember how many months of training it took to get me to the point I am now, and I don't want to go back to that!
2013-12-04 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Hey Blanda - someone posted this on ST and I thought of you

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/02/21724382-two-thousand-mi...

CRAZY!!!

Be sure to carry some tylenol with you if you go out alone

Ha! This is actually happening. It's funny because we're all like "Here we go again". I'm the snake finder in my family. Where ever they plant themselves, I find them. Wrapped in the security screen door, on top of the fridge, on a towel rack looking like the wire from the hair dryer, etc. LOL!

We're just really worried about other animals getting a hold of the mice and getting sick from eating them, like our birds. Our bird population has just started to increase. Hope they don't get hurt.

Off to the bike rice at 2am! A little excited, more nervous.
2013-12-04 10:54 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

New user
I don't really have a question, more just a difficulty with reigning in all the things I want to do in 2014. I think I have it scaled down to the following;

January Trail HM
February Trail HM
March trail HM and Road HM
April St Louis Marathon (1st marathon), end of month HM
May Olympic Triathlon
June 2 sprint Triathlons
July sprint triathlon
August sprint triathlon
September MS 150 event
October Goosepond Half Distance Triathlon

I am really excited about the marathon and the HIM. Both will be big challenges but I have enjoyed that part of things so far.

I started my marathon training this week, 18 week plan. It sounds weird saying that I have to keep repeating it to myself........I will have lots of miles to say it to myself!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88