BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-12-05 7:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by Chunga I don't really have a question, more just a difficulty with reigning in all the things I want to do in 2014. I think I have it scaled down to the following; January Trail HM February Trail HM March trail HM and Road HM April St Louis Marathon (1st marathon), end of month HM May Olympic Triathlon June 2 sprint Triathlons July sprint triathlon August sprint triathlon September MS 150 event October Goosepond Half Distance Triathlon I am really excited about the marathon and the HIM. Both will be big challenges but I have enjoyed that part of things so far. I started my marathon training this week, 18 week plan. It sounds weird saying that I have to keep repeating it to myself........I will have lots of miles to say it to myself!

Mary-that is quite a schedule. So impressed with the progress you have made. Do you ever sit back and think about what you have accomplished over the last year? Amazing! 

Edited by slornow 2013-12-06 8:13 AM

2013-12-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Chunga I don't really have a question, more just a difficulty with reigning in all the things I want to do in 2014. I think I have it scaled down to the following; January Trail HM February Trail HM March trail HM and Road HM April St Louis Marathon (1st marathon), end of month HM May Olympic Triathlon June 2 sprint Triathlons July sprint triathlon August sprint triathlon September MS 150 event October Goosepond Half Distance Triathlon I am really excited about the marathon and the HIM. Both will be big challenges but I have enjoyed that part of things so far. I started my marathon training this week, 18 week plan. It sounds weird saying that I have to keep repeating it to myself........I will have lots of miles to say it to myself!

Holy Cow, that is a lot of racing!!!!  Have you identified your A races?  With a schedule like that, I think it's an important step.  That way you'll know which ones to train through and which ones to taper for, especially since the distances are quite variable!!  Enjoy the journey.

It's a balmy -10F here today.  Very happy that I don't have a long run on the plan until Sunday. 

2013-12-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Anyone racing this weekend? I know Blanda has the bike race. Anyone else.

It has been 75 degrees, humid and foggy for the last 3 days here. Was 76 this morning when I got up. High of 50 tomorrow and then back in the low 70s. Weird weather for us........wondering if our 3-4 days of cold weather over Thanksgiving was the extent of out Winter .

Have a good weekend everyone. 

2013-12-07 5:59 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I ran another 10K this morning. It was storming (thunder and lightning at 5:30 a.m.), but had calmed to a steady drizzle by race time at 8:00 a.m. Not my best effort, but the course was really, really hilly, and it seemed that the downhills really didn't compensate for all of the uphills. It was also warm and humid, but by the time we finished, the air was certainly getting colder.

Spent the afternoon trying to work out travel changes for my husband who is heading to Web.Com tour qualifying school (as a caddie) tomorrow in Palm Springs. Alas, his flight (through Dallas), has already been cancelled. After hours and hours, we finally got him on a new flight, but now I have to drive him to Charlotte (2 1/2 hours away) rather than Columbia (an hour away). Here's hoping the snow they're calling for in northern North Carolina doesn't slide down as far as Charlotte. 5 hours in a car followed by lots of paper grading. It won't be a very fun Sunday.
2013-12-08 6:31 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nice job on getting in the 10 K in bad conditions.

Bummer about the travel plans. Good luck to your husband at Q school.
2013-12-08 10:02 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by SSMinnow

!

Holy Cow, that is a lot of racing!!!!  Have you identified your A races?  With a schedule like that, I think it's an important step.  That way you'll know which ones to train through and which ones to taper for, especially since the distances are quite variable!!  Enjoy the journey.

It's a balmy -10F here today.  Very happy that I don't have a long run on the plan until Sunday. 

My A races will be the Marathon and the HIM. The others will be trained through like you said. I may let a couple of the tris go depending on where I am in the training by then. Some of it could be December excitement.......

2013-12-08 10:05 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by slornow

Mary-that is quite a schedule. So impressed with the progress you have made. Do you ever sit back and think about what you have accomplished over the last year? Amazing! 

I do contemplate this and I feel really grateful at what I have done. I am almost at a normal weight and that has just happened slowly through this training. I have found 'exercise' that I look forward to and enjoy. I have made lots of great new friends. I am very fortunate.
2013-12-08 10:12 AM

User image

New user
I was supposed to do the St Jude HM here yesterday but it was cancelled due to ice and dangerous race conditions. I feel really bad for those who travelled here or who were doing their first big event at the HM or marathon distance.
Worse though is the impact it will have on the fundraising efforts for St Jude. Donating my registration will be what I do, they are giving us a number of options.

I did get out and run yesterday, mid 20's. First time I ever ran in that cold of conditions. I bought appropriate gear but the gloves I have didn't cut it for that. I did 8 miles then walked both of my puppies after and wow did the recliner and fire feel awesome after that,
2013-12-08 11:10 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Chunga I was supposed to do the St Jude HM here yesterday but it was cancelled due to ice and dangerous race conditions. I feel really bad for those who travelled here or who were doing their first big event at the HM or marathon distance. Worse though is the impact it will have on the fundraising efforts for St Jude. Donating my registration will be what I do, they are giving us a number of options. I did get out and run yesterday, mid 20's. First time I ever ran in that cold of conditions. I bought appropriate gear but the gloves I have didn't cut it for that. I did 8 miles then walked both of my puppies after and wow did the recliner and fire feel awesome after that,

That is a bummer when you've worked so hard for an event.   I had another friend who had her trail marathon cancelled for the same reason.

I ran in -3F ad 10mph ENE winds today.  My water bottles froze even though I filled them with warm water before I started.  Crazy weather everywhere.  I can tell you that I wore Smartwool Phd socks (they are paper thin), mittens and face mask and it was bearable.  I swear that fabric is a lifesaver in these parts.  Maybe it would be good for you?

2013-12-08 2:52 PM

User image

Master
100K done. I am totally traumatized by hills. I lost my last gear, the one I cling to for dear life on them. I had to walk the bike up large chunks of hills because of it. ACK!

I did finish it though. Took me 6 hours and 16 minutes. 6 hours and 16 minutes.........

I'd live to so post a report for this and my last tri, but i can't figure it out!

Hope you all had great weekends. I'm recovering today. UGH.
2013-12-08 5:42 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Blanda

100K done. I am totally traumatized by hills. I lost my last gear, the one I cling to for dear life on them. I had to walk the bike up large chunks of hills because of it. ACK!

I did finish it though. Took me 6 hours and 16 minutes. 6 hours and 16 minutes.........

I'd live to so post a report for this and my last tri, but i can't figure it out!

Hope you all had great weekends. I'm recovering today. UGH.

great job to you and everyone else today!

2013-12-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-way to hang in there and finish. Great job!

Mary-sorry about your race being cancelled.

We don't have the cold weather you folks in the North do. I use a light pair of old  "shorty" socks as gloves when its marginally cold. Seems to do the job and easy to stick in a pocket when not needed....or even throw away during a race.

My run/swim focus continues. Two weeks in a row of 30+ miles running. That's not much for you marathoners but its alot for an old, short course guy like me.

Hope everyone gets the week off to a good start.

2013-12-08 8:23 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by Chunga I was supposed to do the St Jude HM here yesterday but it was cancelled due to ice and dangerous race conditions. I feel really bad for those who travelled here or who were doing their first big event at the HM or marathon distance. Worse though is the impact it will have on the fundraising efforts for St Jude. Donating my registration will be what I do, they are giving us a number of options. I did get out and run yesterday, mid 20's. First time I ever ran in that cold of conditions. I bought appropriate gear but the gloves I have didn't cut it for that. I did 8 miles then walked both of my puppies after and wow did the recliner and fire feel awesome after that,

That is a bummer when you've worked so hard for an event.   I had another friend who had her trail marathon cancelled for the same reason.

I ran in -3F ad 10mph ENE winds today.  My water bottles froze even though I filled them with warm water before I started.  Crazy weather everywhere.  I can tell you that I wore Smartwool Phd socks (they are paper thin), mittens and face mask and it was bearable.  I swear that fabric is a lifesaver in these parts.  Maybe it would be good for you?

Suzy, I used those same socks and they worked well. Just need some better gloves. Your cold makes mine seem downright toasty!

Mary
2013-12-09 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everybody, just checking in again. I've been doing pretty well just maintaining relatively low volume, and just trying to keep my base fitness. I've been to a few Master's swim classes, and I'm really liking it. I work a lot harder at them than I ever do whenever I just head to the pool myself. Things like doing laps with limited breathing and counting strokes, I'd never do on my own. I also tried a Sufferfest workout on TrainerRoad Saturday, and it just about wrecked me! It was supposed to be an hour, but I made it about 40 minutes before I was just done. So...The Downward Spiral and I have a rematch scheduled for Tuesday!

Oh yeah, Nate and I both qualified for the Rev3 AG series they're starting this year. The race will be in April in Knoxville, and it's a weird hybrid distance: 1 mile swim, 40m bike, 10 mile run. It's kind of a cool feeling; you have to have a special code to register, makes me feel way more elite than I am! Hopefully, the weather will be better than last year, when it was freezing!

Anyone ask Santa for tri-gear???
2013-12-09 7:53 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Looks like a couple of dark days ahead for me. Tomorrow is a 20 min TT/FTP test on the bike. To say I hate these is a monumental understatement. I'm already dreading it and probably won't sleep well tonight knowing it is on the horizon for tomorrow. Then, on Wednesday I'm doing a swim video/lesson session.  The video will certainly dash my perception of my fluid, smooth stroke and will reveal the true depiction of my swim stroke. I'm thinking it will look something like a man in a phone booth trying to keep a bunch of bees off him........not pretty. Hopefully, I'll be able to identify a couple of quick and easy things to fix..........yeah, not likely. Nothing with swimming seems to be quick and easy! 

2013-12-11 8:42 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda, Awesome job on powering through for the 100K. That is an accompishment, for sure!

Randy, My sympathies. The 20 minute TT occupies a big part of my consciousness whenever it is on the schedule. I hate to say it but I am kind of looking forward to revisiting it. My last performance over 20 minutes was so dismal that I am looking forward to the chance to redeem myself.

Work has been crazy busy. 'Everyone' has met their health care deductibles for the year and want to get in any and all surgery while it is fully covered. We are having a hard time keeping up and the operating rooms are running late every night. This seems to happen every year, but with the uncertainty surrounding health care coverage in the future, it seems like it is worse than usual this year. It seems counterintuitive but a lot of people also want to get surgery during the holidays so they miss the least amount of work possible.

On another front...... I won't be busy for too much longer as my wife and I are flying to Paris on Saturday. It is something she has always wanted to do and so we are going. This is the off season so fares were reasonable and we rented an apartment for the week for a pretty good price. No real concrete plans other than relax, see the sites, eat chocolate, bread and cheese and drink wine. I'm bringing the running shoes so I can see the city in the early morning on foot. I've heard rumors of a couple pools in Paris as well that I may try to visit just for the novelty of swimming in Paris. It will be mostly a week of relax and recover. I don't speak a word of French so it should be interesting. I suspect I wil be largely out of internet contact for the week. If a cafe has wifi I may check in.

2013-12-11 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Randy: Dig deep. You got this!

Jason: Oooh, Paris sounds lovely. Your crazy hours, not so much! Enjoy the trip!

I'm in my first week of marathon training, and it's 3 months till Xterra 2014. I'm hoping to qualify again for Maui and go next time! I might have some competition for my age group next year, so I need to work hard.

2013-12-11 5:04 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster
On another front...... I won't be busy for too much longer as my wife and I are flying to Paris on Saturday. It is something she has always wanted to do and so we are going. This is the off season so fares were reasonable and we rented an apartment for the week for a pretty good price. No real concrete plans other than relax, see the sites, eat chocolate, bread and cheese and drink wine. I'm bringing the running shoes so I can see the city in the early morning on foot. I've heard rumors of a couple pools in Paris as well that I may try to visit just for the novelty of swimming in Paris. It will be mostly a week of relax and recover. I don't speak a word of French so it should be interesting. I suspect I wil be largely out of internet contact for the week. If a cafe has wifi I may check in.

Enjoy that trip, sounds pretty great!
2013-12-11 5:32 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just checking in. Have been busy with work but wanted to share some good news. Met with my doctor today. Got a few more restrictions lifted on my recovery. I am on a cane for a few more weeks but doing some limited walking without it. I can swim again and spin with little resistance for a few more weeks. It looks like end Jan I can actually get back on a bike if I feel I am ready.

He didn't ok the Aqua/Bike Super Sprint in mid-April just yet however. On the agenda for my Jan follow-up.

I hope everybody has a great Holiday (or had in the event you celebrated Chanukah as we did).
2013-12-11 6:00 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Just checking in. Have been busy with work but wanted to share some good news. Met with my doctor today. Got a few more restrictions lifted on my recovery. I am on a cane for a few more weeks but doing some limited walking without it. I can swim again and spin with little resistance for a few more weeks. It looks like end Jan I can actually get back on a bike if I feel I am ready.

awesome news!!

We are SUPER busy at work this week too. Not to mention, Sunday I am headed to FL for a few days to visit grandma. I'm hoping to sneak out to some bike shops to ride some tri bikes.....but in the meantime I think I've narrowed down my decision. Stay tuned for more info
2013-12-11 7:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-sounds like a great trip....why ruin it with swimming? Have a wonderful time. I love running in new places. Great way to get a feel for a place and see things you might otherwise miss.

Stuart-hope you get the OK for the Spring race. Swim instructor for my video session mentioned using tennis balls to help with the catch  

Randee-where are you headed in Florida? I was in Pensacola today for my swim video session.

Well, made it through the bike test and swim video session. Bike test was tough and I was hoping for a little higher number but I survived it and actually paced it pretty well. Really, I'm just glad to get it over with....I HATE those things.

Swim video session was an eye opener. Big thing was that I am really wide with my pull on the right side. That reduces the propulsion I am getting on that side of my stroke. There were other little things but that is the big thing........lots to do in order to improve. 

2013-12-11 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Stuart-hope you get the OK for the Spring race. Swim instructor for my video session mentioned using tennis balls to help with the catch  

What kind of a nut job would tell you to swim with tennis balls in your hands?
2013-12-12 4:40 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Randee-where are you headed in Florida? I was in Pensacola today for my swim video session.

I'm headed to the East Coast - Fort Lauderdale area.
2013-12-12 1:32 PM

User image

Champion

Stuart--so happy to see you are making progress!  I will keep my fingers crossed that the Aquabike is in your near future!!!

Jason--I know you will have a really great time.  I've only been once, but there was so much to take in that I would easily go back.  Will you make it to Versailles?

Weather here is still brutal and the roads are snow covered so I'm not only doing my HIITS work on the bike, but we're starting the run series too.  I find that work pretty painful, but at least the sessions are short!

2013-12-12 8:36 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Not going to make it to Versailles. We are going to take the train up to Colone for the day to go to the Christmas Market. Some of our good friends lived in Colone for the last four years and just moved back. They insisted we should not miss the Christmas Market and laid out an itinerary of everything we need to do for the day. That is the only pre-planned activity. Everything else is free form/make it up as we go along. Should be great.

I went out today and paid for a haircut for the first time since 1997. I have been cutting my own hair in the basement for the last 16 years (another thing you may not have needed to know about me--I have gotten my money's worth out of a $20 set of clippers). For reasons unknown to me, I was inspired to pay for a real haircut before my trip. My wife has not noticed yet. Ha! Turn about is fair play. She is always complaining I don't notice when she gets a haircut…….

Training is pretty light right now. I think next week as a recovery/down week will allow me to reset and really hit it hard when I get back.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88