BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2014-01-03 11:13 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
ugh, want to do some cardio tapes at the house but the family room is smelling from a dead mouse. Unfortunately we recognize the smell. Can't find the critter. Could probably get used to smell, but it just doesn't seem healthy...

2014-01-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
OK, so I have resolved a couple of things for 2014. One is to keep workouts and overall health in a good balance, and the other is to attempt to rebuild my run....gradually, at least up to 10K. I was thinking of continuing to S/B/R, but keep workouts moderate and not set goals that tempt me to over-reach or obsess over any one thing. Rein the diet, get the blood sugar in really good control without worrying about dropping too low during longish workouts/races, stick to sprints and maybe 1 oly, but minimize spending on race fees, etc. Then I get an e-mail today reminding me that I expressed possible interest in this: http://www.capitaltocoastrelay.com/. It's not until October 2014, and would involve running 3 legs of 5-9 miles each over the course of 36 hours. Team needs to average 10 minute miles to complete prior to the cutoff. I would be doing it with a team of all Type 1 diabetics. Right now it's looking like I might be the only female on a 12 person team. Ugh, so this really appeals to me, like I might be passing on a really unique opportunity if I don't do it. I'm feeling tempted to make it my longer range goal for the year. Thoughts?
2014-01-03 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Originally posted by squirt

http://www.capitaltocoastrelay.com/. It's not until October 2014, and would involve running 3 legs of 5-9 miles each over the course of 36 hours. Team needs to average 10 minute miles to complete prior to the cutoff. I would be doing it with a team of all Type 1 diabetics. Right now it's looking like I might be the only female on a 12 person team. Ugh, so this really appeals to me, like I might be passing on a really unique opportunity if I don't do it. I'm feeling tempted to make it my longer range goal for the year. Thoughts?

What am I missing here Carol? You are excited about something unique and you've got 10 months to gradually work toward this goal. (which keeps you in balance with your 2014 goals) I know doing things with Type 1 diabetics is important to you; I recall seeing you posting on an introduction to BT and the person (and maybe his child) were both type 1 diabetics.

Does Kerry have any issues with you being the only woman on the team? Are you nervous about not getting healthy enough this year to be able to contribute all of your runs in October? Those are the only 2 things I can think of that may deter what otherwise looks like something that is right up your ally.
2014-01-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
The relay sounds great. Will you have a chance to get to know the guys before the event? Will they have girlfriends/wives along in some support car? That way you might not really experience being the only female around.
I think it sounds like an amazing opportunity.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2014-01-03 3:54 PM
2014-01-03 5:05 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
My precious Carol, you must do it. Totally must. I think I understand your concerns because you have been mentally struggling with not being able to run because of the pain. You.can.do.this. I know you can. It's going to take a lot of stretches, exercises, maybe massages, but you can do it. You've got 10 months so take 1, 2, or 3 months for intensive rehab - whatever that may be. Then build slowly. First of all, I know that you could easily make those 10mm miles yourself. But, even if the rehab takes longer and if you find that you can't do all 3 legs or can't meet the 10mm goal, your team will make up the gaps. And your team would be a million times better for having you on it. Oh Girl, it will be fun! As for being the only girl, the only delicate situation is changes in clothes. You could do that in portapotties before and after your legs. Or do like I did and hit the back seat and either ask for a little privacy or just announce that you are changing and then people will either look or not look but nothing is a "surprise" that way - for you or them. Oh, I want to go too!

Ok, I'm telling Carol all of this and my PF reared it's stupid ugly head last night. So I came home and began taking action. 1) rolling out all of my legs (Pain!!!) 2) Call MT and got an appt set up 3) stretches (marble pickups, calf stretches, strausberg stretch, rolling foot on the ball) 4) ibuprophen 5) examining shoes (Guilty on something). I have a trail HM tomorrow and I'll show up and then proceed with caution. It's a 6.5 mile loop so I should never be more than 3.25 miles away from quitting. It's hard for me to determine when to power thru and when to stop but I think I've got the best plan. The HM isn't the goal so if I have problems tomorrow, I stop. I'll try runs during my taper but if they hurt, I'll stop. Plan for the mary is to be at the start line and do what I can. If the sag wagon has to bring me home then so be it.
2014-01-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Life is weird. PF was hurting badly last Thursday night and then today I could do a HM on trails. I will definitely get rid of those Thursday night shoes. Oh, I know that the PF is still here and I must continue to work on it. But at least it wasn't bad today. Ok, now would ya'll like to start a poll to predict how many times I fell today? Not "almost" falls but "hit the ground" falls. I'll tell ya'll tomorrow.

2014-01-04 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I love this group! Thanks so much for your input. Jay you nailed it by asking "what exactly is the problem"? Kerry is OK with it, might even drive a van. I know several of the guys in the group, so no issue there. Yes, it's just fear of not being able to build my run back up without re-injury, and not being sure I want to do what it might take to get there in terms of time and $$'s. But it is something I want to do, so thanks to you guys, I'm going for it! Went for a walk this morning, and stretches are on tap this afternoon.

Pam, congrats on your race! Glad the PF was at bay, and that maybe you are onto a contributing factor in those shoes. My guess on falls is 3 . Hope you are OK and that the roots or rocks are all beat up!

Mitzi, how is the mouse hunt going?

Anyone else getting impatient for Steve's new group to go live? MTA: I asked Ron when it might go live....maybe asking will help. Would be good to welcome some new members before we are too far into 2014.

Edited by squirt 2014-01-04 12:59 PM
2014-01-04 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carol, you an do it. Having 5 to 10 hours between 5 -10 mile runs gives you enough time to recover. Just train smart, let the Type A's be the white nights by making up for any lost time that other team members may make, makes em feel important. But then it is a team, so the speedy folks will help out if needed. A friend of mine did one of these and had a blast. Just know that you will get little sleep and will need to have a day off after just because of the sleep deprivation.

When a post starts, guess how many times I fell, is not good at all, hope you are alright.

Yes I am anxious to have the new group go live too. It will probably pop up next week. Ugg back at higher elevation soooo drained the umphda out of me. 28 miles hard on the bike then 3 mile run, jog...
2014-01-04 7:32 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone! How are you all doing? There has rarely been a day gone by where I have not thought about the group. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and yay for 2014...getting excited about IMCDA because of my chance to meet some peeps face-to-face!

I have to be honest, I've been in a major slump and am not even sure I'm out of it. This is the first week I've been able to use two hands to type since I have my surgery. I have spent the winter burrowing into my wood heated home doing very little, and struggling in general with life. I decided it was way over-due to check back in and regain some perspective and camaraderie, and I was hoping to hear that Steve would be mentoring again. So I'll be joining the group. So far I have two goals for this year. A half marathon in May and a HIM in August. Currently I can only run until I can find someone who will change my back tire on my bike and swimming just isn't an option until I have a functioning wrist. And I'm embarrassed to admit it seems as though I'll be starting from scratch since I've become a couch potato over the last several months, so this should be interesting.

I so look forward to getting caught up with all of you. I have missed this group so very much!
2014-01-05 1:14 AM
in reply to: anthalynn

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Glad to hear from you Samantha, new group should go live probably next week. You will be really frustrated when you start training again, but it will come back faster than it did the first time as you build. After about 6 weeks you should be feeling much better than after that first week. As always, walk lots if you can (elyptical, whatever works). The wrist will just come as it can. I am sure your LBS will swap out a tire for you. You don't have to take the whole bike in, just the wheel/tire. I am not sure if you can ride aero with most of your weight off your wrist and on your forearm on a trainer or not
2014-01-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Steve I'm glad to hear it'll come back faster! I'm thinkin since I'm limited to running and maybe biking (never even thought about just taking the tire off,duh) I'm gonna focus on building some strength in my legs with squats and lunges. I want to get my metabolism running faster to burn off the extra weight a bit faster. Have you started your official IMCDA build? I read a post that said you were up to 23mph over a pretty good distance. That's fantastic!

2014-01-05 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Carol - this relay does truly sound like one of the very things that supports your deeper drive to pursue the life of an athlete as a diabetic. Not to mention, the opportunity to hang with many other people who are doing the same thing. It is far enough a way and beyond my knowing exactly where you are as far as injuries it sounds perfect! I'm glad you decided to do it!
2014-01-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: anthalynn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Yay, we have Samantha back!!!!! So glad to see you again.

Carol, so glad that you are doing it. I know that you can do it. It's just scary to put yourself back out there where you are rebuilding something that you love and that you could do so easily before the injuries. But babe, you can do it.

Ok, you are not going to believe this but I'm gonna go get on the bike trainer. That hasn't happened in about 9 months. Oh, Carol you are right, 3 falls. About mile 4, mile 10, and mile 11.5. A friend and I teamed up to make each of us complete the thing and she was my sherpa for the 2nd loop and I was her comic relief because I think she was floored at how many times she had to pull me up from the dirt.
2014-01-05 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
New group is OPEN. See you in the new mentor group!
2014-01-05 8:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ouche...

Yes head over to the new mentor group, I won't be monitoring this one anymore, all are welcome.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68