BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-12-07 1:54 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
Pam, sorry about your friend.

I have to agree with your husband that the combination of medicine etc. probably is the main culpret, you should be able to do that 10 miler in your sleep right? In the mean time I really have to recommend walking a lot. Like I have said before walking 20 miles a week will maintain like 80% of your run fitness from where you started for a month to 6 weeks, which is how long it takes to recover from most muscle related injuries. I am not sure what your recovery time is from your stuffs. Take care of you, there are always more races. Cherish your family and friends, there are no givens in life.

2013-12-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, so sorry about your friend Kathy. Prayers for her family. Such an unfathomable hurt for her husband and kids that only God an time can soothe. As for you, I'm so glad you didn't pass out and fall and....just not going to think about it. I'm counting that as a victory. You are human, and fragile, and strong, all at the same time .

Steve, so glad you are seeing improvements all across the board, especially the elusive swim progress!

Power came back on later on Friday for us thankfully. Still in the deep freeze here. Roads shut down, friends stuck overnight on the highway....crazy stuff. It's supposed to get above 32 for a few hrs this afternoon, but will refreeze overnight, so may be looking at another day of folks not being able to get to work/school/etc. Workout today will be stacking furniture...literally. Putting stuff back after floors were installed last week. Functional strength is all the rage these days, right??!!!
2013-12-08 5:10 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks to all of you for the prayers for Kathy's family. Please continue to pray; it's going to be really rough for them.

Thanks also for all of the encouragement on my failed race yesterday and then just letting me whine/. Love Steve's comment that I should be able to do it in my sleep!!! And to be honest, that is what was bothering me because I did feel like I could do it with no problem which is why I was so down and out with the dizziness and the fog - and at mile 3 that began. This is the third time I've had pre-cancerous spots removed. The first was hell and the second was rather easy. I was hoping this time would be like the 2nd but it's a worse. And then combined with the other cancer cream, I think my body is toast for a short while. But Steve, I def heard you on the walking so I just went out for a 5 mile jog/walk. It was glorious to be out there! I'll keep going out every day this week and hopefully this weakness will fade. Thankfully I can stop the cream on Dec 16 and then the surgery will be 2 weeks behind me.

Carol, what did your friends do that were stranded on the highway? Lord, those of us in the south aren't used to things like that! We can handle the temps in the 90s and 100s and know a lot about heat exhaustion but survival in the cold isn't in our normal wheelhouse. Hope that things warm for you soon.
2013-12-08 8:54 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya we hit -20F lastnight and with cars packing down the snow into ice I just hit the treadmill this morning instaed. Hopefully we get some temps above freezing to clear the roads this week. Intervals on ice, just not a good mix.
2013-12-09 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey y'all! Deep freeze is unwinding here. No workout yesterday, but spent a lot of time moving furniture, unpacking boxes, cleaning, etc. so an active day nonetheless. We had to sort of move out of half of our house for painting to be done and new floors to be laid. Now it's time to move back in. I don't think of us as having a lot of "stuff", but after 20 years in the same house, and taking on some things from my FIL's house that recently sold, we are using this as an opportunity to simplify a bit more.

Pam, that sounds like quite an ordeal with the surgeries and after care. I hope this week finds you feeling better. "Only" one more week of the cream. Our friend, her two young boys, and parents spent Saturday night in their car on I-20. They determined that they had plenty of gas for idling the engine and running the heater, so did some of that to warm up periodically. Finally made it to a hotel yesterday, and should be able to make their way home today.

Steve, yes, the ice is what cripples the traffic flow. Hope you thaw out too!

Schools are still closed, so pool is closed. It's trainer or nada here. One would think I would have used this as an opportunity to do more stretch/strength stuff, but not so much. I don't know what my deal is with that. Toying with the idea of doing one of those boot camp type classes. Know the instructor who leads that at our local park and have been offered free passes a few times (yeah, I know...the first one is free).
2013-12-09 10:18 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So ya found out that 4 of the 5 wires leading to heating coils in our furnace had shorted out at some point. Our inside the house temp was 46F this morning, so we had the furnace looked at. The furnace is still old, but it is now 20F warmer inside the house, temp dropping like a stone outside at the moment with a smoldering 15F today, felt down right warm and inviting, except for the ice and snow.

2013-12-09 11:13 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

So ya found out that 4 of the 5 wires leading to heating coils in our furnace had shorted out at some point. Our inside the house temp was 46F this morning, so we had the furnace looked at. The furnace is still old, but it is now 20F warmer inside the house, temp dropping like a stone outside at the moment with a smoldering 15F today, felt down right warm and inviting, except for the ice and snow.

Sorry man hope i can do something to help.let me know if i can.
2013-12-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Steve, good call on not hitting the icy roads. Treadmills can be boring but at least you aren't sliding on ice or having cars mow you down. So sorry about the lack of heat in the house! Hope that you can get that furnance going.

Carol, yay on the purging stuff and getting your house back together! And good job on getting those trainer miles in. As for stretching, would you prefer more structure? Or is it just the thought of doing it? I put off my stretching so much but then when I do it, I say, "Ok, nothing formal - just shake it out for a little while." I do very informal things and sometimes just even dance around a little. Then as things start smoothing out, I have some more pat stretches that I go into. Then hopefully I can hit some crunches (and formerly planks before the surgery). But my whole attitude is that I'll do it for 5 min and then maybe another 5 min, etc. I usually do only 15 min sessions but they really help me. Now as for the strength session - well I hate them so I do them for only 10 min. But in that 10 min time, I work my azz off and can hardly see when I'm finished. But maybe boot camp would be fun. I know some people that just LOVE it.

I adjusted my attitude and just said to go out there and walk, jog, etc. after Steve's comment about walking. And it's gotta better over the last 3 days so Steve I really thank you! I miscalculated on how long I have to do the Carac and now realize it's until Christmas Eve. Yuck but this too shall pass.
2013-12-11 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Pink Socks
As for stretching, would you prefer more structure? Or is it just the thought of doing it?

Good question. I think it is that I'm just not sure what to do or if any of it will work. So I do nothing, which most certainly will not work. Yes, very logical don't you think ?! I used to do a weight lifting class at the gym, and hubby & I had a personal trainer for a while there. Those types of things work for me because I hate counting reps or watching for seconds to tick off the clock. Just be the lemming, you know?

Steve, so it sounds like your endless pool is the warmest thing going. I'm picturing your house as a log cabin on one of those pioneer days shows. Hope you and your family can stay warm!
2013-12-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - So sorry about your friend, I never know how family survives such a terrible loss.
Even if it looks like a minor thing to you, your body really geared up to respond to assualt on your arm. Glad you didn't hurt yourself.

Steve - your story made me cry, but being in menopause even saying something nice to a people makes me tear up - can be very awkward. I appreciate your good advice - start training SLOWLY at the beginning, and weekly milage more beneficial than a few very long runs. Hope to not get waylaid with injuries this year.

Mike - some would say you were lucky to get one on one coaching. I find the thought very intimidating. It seems fun in the weight room, so it must just be how unsure I am of myself with endurance work. I'm going to force myself to join a riding group at the local bike shop come the spring.

Karl - how do the two training plans differ? Seems by starting the 30 week one late you have two 20 week plans to choose from. I know I love to put off training by reading another book, laying out another training plan...
If you are like me you need to pick one so that you can move on and train. Don't think, just know that today you have to do ____.
Is one plan more detailed than the other? Do they focus on all three sports equally or does one favor one of your weaker sports.

Mitzi

"Why excel in one sport when you can be average in three"

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-12-11 10:59 AM
2013-12-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mitzi, good to be on the journey with you!

I also wanted to share that my friend who was in prison was released from the halfway house today to go HOME!!!! I have so much appreciated the non-judgmental support and prayers of this group in that situation, so just wanted to share that bit of good news!

2013-12-11 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I've been MIA due to a stomach bug which has left me feeling truly horrid. Not much happening with me other than getting some rest and trying not to barf on things. Fun.
2013-12-11 6:02 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Mike, so glad to have you back but so sorry about the stomach bug. Get well

Mitzi, 2014 will be a great year for you. So glad you are back with the group.

Carol, YAY for your friend!!!!!!

Had to get an oil change and new tires today so went out running while this was occuring. Went on a MUP (next to a busy road) that hubby loves and I was so excited to see that the city has water fountains at every major road intersection. Isn't that cool? And had to laugh that I was so excited about that.
2013-12-12 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Ugh, Mike, that is not the way to do a holiday weight loss plan! Hope you feel less wretched soon.

Pam, yay on the water fountains! Funny the things you appreciate so much as a runner that you never would notice otherwise .

Pam's questions got me to thinking about what it will take for me to do the strength/stretch stuff I need to do. I think it may be time to go back to having a gym membership. Primarily for the strength and yoga classes, but also will give me access to spin classes, elliptical, treadmill, etc. in the peak of summer and the dead of winter. Just have to figure out whether to go with the pricey one that also has pools, or the cheaper one that does not. I do the group rides sometimes with the pricey one, and they had asked about potentially hiring me to be one of the weekend ride leaders a while back. It was not workable at the time due to visiting my friend, but maybe something will work out again with that.
2013-12-12 10:06 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@mike

sorry about the stomach bug , get well soon lucky for you its off season. I had flu like symptoms this season 10 before my race and DNF my first half iron.

@Pam

sorry about your friend Kathy. I know exactly how you feel. My Bro had pancreatic Ca too, very hard for me to see him go down from Sub 4 Mary to barely can walk. He is back to running now and every scan is scary as hell. My prayers to your Friend and her family.

@Carol

I am experiencing the chill wind here too not as bad as yours, but surviving have to train in the cold. Icy Waters to swim 50s-55s, Cold wind blowing against me during biking and i can barely sweat during running cant feel my fingers. Hopefully this off season will be over.

@Steve

Hopefully your pipes are up and running

Happy holidays and Merry X' mas everyone!!!
2013-12-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So yes water is currently running in the pipes and not in the walls, so that is good (new heat tape, added insolation, etc). The $1.50 of wire and lots of labor = house is now 25F warmer (71F lastnight). It was warmer this morning than in some time 3F. And it is not funny I did go for a swim to get warm the other night and it was the warmest place in the house.

I am kind of dragging, doing LT work every day gets kind of tough to get psyched up for.

15:00 at 115 cadence on the bike is um not so fun. I think my bike seat needs to go up another 1/32 of an inch or so. It is fine for non aero, but just a touch tight in aero, always something.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-12-12 9:35 PM

2013-12-13 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Karl, so I take it you only swim in open water? If not, you need to fire the pool manager! Brrrr.....

Steve, glad the wiring repairs have warmed things up in your house. Sorry the intensity of the training is grating right now. Do you have down weeks in your training plan where you back it down some?

While I was pedaling away on the trainer last night towards my 2,000 mile year-end cycling goal, we watched an episode of Modern Family. Phil was trying to reach his year-end mileage goal on an elliptical. Scary that I have more in common with Phil Dunphy that I thought!

2013-12-13 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - bike ride leader - very impressive.

Good morning all - good to be back, keeping up with the posts. Made very modest goals for the beginning of my comeback, have to step it up to reach them.

Hope you are feeling better Mike.

Mitzi
2013-12-14 8:44 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve

Could you shed some light on Don Finks Be Iron Fit . One of the workouts is a Half Iron distance. i believe its 6 weeks before raceday. Is it necessary? theres one 4 weeks before raceday is it advisable. I would be needing 5 days recovery atleast after a half iron. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

2013-12-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Mitzi, good for you on starting off modest. Achievable goals build confidence . And it's me on the bike ride thing. Not impressive at all. If it works out I'd be sweeping the back of the ride....taking care of those like me who can't keep up with the fast guys.
2013-12-14 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Yea Mitzi, it's Carol as the bike leader. I wouldn't even be able to keep up to sweep. Carol, so excited for you. You will be the best and prettiest sweeper ever. And more proof that we are sister - I LOVE Modern Family, Laugh my azz off most of the time.

Steve, you are human? All of those LT would be killing anyone!

We had our 50K/50 miler today. I did the 50K last year and I have a friend that does it every year so I went down to run and to see Mel. I got there about 3 hours after the start. My goal was to do 2 10K loops, stretch/rest, and then walk 1 loop with Mel. Well, I didn't quite go with the plan but I think it was ok. Did 2 loops (1:05:xx and 1:02:xx) and then wanted to run to the aid station again (2.7 miles). Well one guy was walking and I could tell he needed some company; he was on his last loop. I walked and talked with him some and then saw another friend who just finished 14 miles and it was her longest run ever. Ok, after all of that talking, I then decided to run some more. 3 more miles and I began walking it in. I felt that 15.4 miles was ok. Whoops now I see Mel and another friend. So I walk with them but peeled off before the loop was over. The rain came during that loop and by the time I got back to the start/finish line, I was freezing. It wasn't that cold but after being that wet and still only being in wet shorts/wet shirt, it took 45 min for my hands to thaw.

Came home and found that my awesome hubby was making homemade soup for us. I love that guy.

2013-12-15 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Quick check in this AM. I'm over the bug but have been largely inactive for a week due to it. Felt weak and just not 'right' for the past couple days as well. I'm about to start back up by going out to shovel snow & slush that fell last night. Will hopefully get back on the bike later today for an hour spin just to get moving again. Back to the pool tomorrow.
2013-12-15 5:25 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The HIM recommendation in IM training plans is completely optional. It is a good way to test your training and nutrition, but not required for sure. If you decide to go with it you should do it 6 to 8 weeks out so you can recover for a week and then get in 1-2, 2-3 week builds before tapering. If you are training for an IM, it will take you 1 week to recover from a HIM, next week is like a recovery week and then you are back to building again the following week.

This weekend had fastest ever 100 yard repeats in the pool (10 seconds between repeats is way too short), (only x 6 though) did 2x10:00 at 22.5 mph and 2x 15:00 at 20:00 mph on the trainer and then hit the run at 3x8:00 repeats at a 6:55 to 7:10 mpm pace for my weekend workouts. Naptime. It was a cozy 15F for my run. I haven't had to dig out my cold weather gear yet, just my lite winter shell.
2013-12-16 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, way to make the most out of that 50K, both socially and getting a workout in . Ugh, cold+rain = miserable!

Mike, sure hope you are feeling more like yourself. Training will wait for you to return to full health.

Steve, sounds like you are continuing to have some nice speed gains. Should set you up well for later when you add more volume.

2,500 swim + 22 miles on the bike today and 20 yesterday. We are having another string of great weather, so I'm able to get some rides in outdoors. Swim has definitely improved with some consistency. 1:45~1:50/100 without just killing myself is actually happening . Closing in on my year end biking and swimming goals. Swimming pool will be closed from 12/21 through 1/5 .
2013-12-18 1:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Was warm today 40F. Got to run in just shorts and shirt. So I have been doing strides, from dead stop progressive build to fast for 30 seconds stop and walk 1:00 then repeat. Normally you only go to like 5k pace, but I have been going faster to try to hold good form at faster than 5k pace. So last couple runs I have gotten to 4:35 mpm pace at the end of the build up and was maxing out turnover rate (110 or whatever). Which means that you then need to go farther in the air. So today I played with that and got up to 4:15 mpm pace for one of them and 2 around 4:35 mpm. Man that is hard to maintain. Then got to do 2x 9:00 at 7:00-7:10 mpm pace as part of 7 mile run. Gosh these just take it out of you.

Wow Carol 1:45/100 is pretty speedy. I think I am around there for 100 repeats but not sustained over distance. I guess we find out over vacation when I get to a real pool. Anyway I might not be on much, will be out of town, not sure about finding an internet connection, etc. If I am not on much for 2 weeks that is why not because I have fallen off the face of the earth. They may start up new mentor groups during vacation, don't worry if I have a group you can join whenever, always my rule. Merry Christmas if I am not on much, spend some quality time with your family, but don't let them make you nuts. Then we all will lose that 20 pounds after January 1st.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68