BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-09-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN
John,

Tom is pretty well on the mark here looking for a negative split. You didn't say what happened between miles 6 and 9? But yeah I would either divide it into halves or potentially fourths. The "pro" thing to do is actually negative split all 13 miles so that your pace is continually faster at each mile. However that also suggests a flat course which we aren't talking about. The reason for negative splitting is that as your body gets more warmed up by the run itself, lubricating joints, loosening muscles, as long as you have the appropriate energy (which you should since its going to be predominantly consuming body fat for energy at aerobic levels of exertion) then you can go faster as time goes on because of warming up effect. So let's do a little example of how I'd personally strategize for your race (I'll be listing my assumptions so let me know if they don't apply).

On a pancake flat course my goal half marathon time would be approximately 1 hour 13 minutes according to the Jack Daniel's table. So that is a 5:34 mile pace (pace calculator found http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml)

Now I sure as heck don't want to jump out of the gate at that pace and try to stomp that out the whole time on the hills that'll be nuts. I would probably sit out that first mile or two at around 6:00 to get the wheels going. The hills you are correct on you want your cadence and power/effort to be the same uphill as downhill. So your exertion is the same, but your speed decreases uphill because of the incline and your need to do more work to maintain the same absolute speed. Between miles 2 and 6 where the hills are I'd either anticipate being slightly up 6:10-15 or maintaining my 6:00 pace which means I'm pushing it harder.

Once I'm off the hills from miles 6 to 9 I assume the hills start rolling out flat so I can start putting my big toe on the pedal and push down ever so slightly going from 6:00 to 5:50, then 5:40 then 5:30. I'm now to mile 9-10 and its as flat as flat can go. It's the last quarter of the race so using good judgement I can continue pushing the pace each mile trying my best to approach 5:00-10 on the final mile (so a slight descend each mile until the last where you let'r rip).

This of course takes lots of pacing knowledge with your current fitness level to plan it out like that. But taking our detailed plan and chunking it down the idea is as follows

Mile 1-2 start out slower than your anticipated goal pace (be patient, it's a long race. Relax, take some deep breaths, let the dogs go out hard and die by mile 6 knowing you're a smarter racer than that). Miles 2-6 try to maintain that pace despite the hills as a challenge, but don't get into the overworked super hard breathing exhausted feeling yet (err on the side of slightly slow, but keep working). 6-9 start getting into a solid rhythm you feel is closer to your goal time per mile (check the watch if you have it/want to use it). Miles 9-13 see what you can do. At this point in the race its all about knowing your fitness level and pushing the edge to juice as much time as you can out of your legs. For you personally have a mental reminder (or tell the wife to yell at you, or both) about good form at this point. Really focus on that good form drive and it will help you continue the harder pace towards the end of the race.

That's my two bits on half-marathon racing. Similar ideas can be applied to the full, but a lot more patience is needed to hold back the legs.

2013-09-26 8:02 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Thanks Jesse, that's awesome! I will have to write down a plan with paces and try to get it in my head or write it on my hand with
a sharpie! I'd really to try to experiment with negative splitting it and having a plan instead of just being a slave to the virtual pacer
on my watch! I'm actually looking forward to the run because I feel absolutely no pressure to hit any goal time, I'm just thinking of it
as a fun training run that I will push myself hard on.
2013-09-26 8:31 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
That's the best time to try and experiment, when you're just having a good time. No pressure, let it rip and see what you can do.

Probably a little late for this, but for those who want to get serious about their half marry and marathon times you can always order a "marathon" tattoo http://tazrunning.com/PaceTattoos

Set up your personal times and slap that bad boy on in the morning like your tri-tats and you're good to go. I've not personally used one, but I think they're brilliant if you aren't good at remembering splits.
2013-09-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Race pace tattoos are awesome, Jesse. I like it.

Interested in everyone's take on my bike situation. I ride a 2004 Cervelo Dual that I bought on Craigslist for $500 last season when I got into the sport. It's a nice bike and has worked well for me. I have told myself (and my wife) that "the engine is what matters" and I don't want to be one of those guys who has a tricked out bike but it slow.

That said, I've gotten more confident in my bike and honestly the awesome tri bikes make me drool. I generally get a sizable chunk of cash coming my way at the beginning of the year (in the form of year end bonuses) so I had already started prepping the budget committee (wife) about my plans to pursue a bike at the beginning of the year. As is usually the case, I've had a couple of options come up sooner than that, and I'm starting to think about these.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on these:

- 2012 Trek Speed Concepts 7.0 - http://trekbicyclestores.com/product/12trek-speed-concept-7.0-13094... SRAM Apex components (on sale $1800) - new from local bike shop
- 2013 Felt B16sShimano Ultegra/105 components ($1799) - new from local bike shop
- 2011 Giant Trinity Composite 2.0. This is used from a local athlete I've been talking to. I would buy the frame and build it up but think I can get Ultegra level components built out and ready to go for around $1400 -1500 range.

Just curious what everyone things. I did start talking to my wife about it and her first question was "what does this bike do that your's can't". Ha ha. I've got some work to do on the convincing end.

I know Chris just got a new Shiv so maybe he has some feedback.

2013-09-28 12:21 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Lenexa, KS
Personally I think bikes are a matter of justifying the cost versus your speed. This is a completely subjective assessment however so I don't know that I could make that judgement for you. When I think about upgrading components or getting a new frame, etc. I just think whether I really believe the extra expense is 1. going to make a speed difference for me and 2. the cost of that speed difference is justifiable.

So is the $1000 differential (if you can get the amount out you paid on your bike) worth whatever speed increase you believe you'll get?

I was trying to do a little research on the frames though and when I looked up the Giant I couldn't find that model/year combo. Actually when I typed it verbatim into Google this thread popped up as the #6 result so are you sure that's what the guy actually has? Not saying it isn't, but generally you'll get manufacturer's info and all kinds of other stuff when you type stuff like that into the big G.
2013-09-28 12:33 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by dprocket

Race pace tattoos are awesome, Jesse. I like it.

Interested in everyone's take on my bike situation. I ride a 2004 Cervelo Dual that I bought on Craigslist for $500 last season when I got into the sport. It's a nice bike and has worked well for me. I have told myself (and my wife) that "the engine is what matters" and I don't want to be one of those guys who has a tricked out bike but it slow.

That said, I've gotten more confident in my bike and honestly the awesome tri bikes make me drool. I generally get a sizable chunk of cash coming my way at the beginning of the year (in the form of year end bonuses) so I had already started prepping the budget committee (wife) about my plans to pursue a bike at the beginning of the year. As is usually the case, I've had a couple of options come up sooner than that, and I'm starting to think about these.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on these:

- 2012 Trek Speed Concepts 7.0 - http://trekbicyclestores.com/product/12trek-speed-concept-7.0-13094... SRAM Apex components (on sale $1800) - new from local bike shop
- 2013 Felt B16sShimano Ultegra/105 components ($1799) - new from local bike shop
- 2011 Giant Trinity Composite 2.0. This is used from a local athlete I've been talking to. I would buy the frame and build it up but think I can get Ultegra level components built out and ready to go for around $1400 -1500 range.

Just curious what everyone things. I did start talking to my wife about it and her first question was "what does this bike do that your's can't". Ha ha. I've got some work to do on the convincing end.

I know Chris just got a new Shiv so maybe he has some feedback.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 2011 Felt 95 entry level road bike. I'm considering upgrading to an entry level carbon tri bike and the one I've been looking at at my LBS is the 2013 Felt B16. I don't have any great insight into it, except that I like Felt, have read a lot of good reviews on the Felt B16 and B12. I asked the same question your wife did, but to myself, i.e. "what will this give me that my current bike won't?" and the only real answer that would make a difference is fit in the aero position, so it will be more comfortable/efficient riding aero. That's about it. Weight really isn't going to matter that much (try putting some values in the various online calculators and see what a 3 lb difference is going to make in your average speed with fixed watts. Answer, almost nothing. And me losing 3 lbs is a lot more cost efficient than dropping 2K on a new bike if weight is all I'm concerned about).

Anyhow, I'm going in for a bike fit this week at LBS (free with bike purchase, but I never scheduled it in the spring and they said come in next
week and get it done). So I'm going to see if moving saddle forward, mucking with stem, etc. will make my current bike (with the clip on aero bars) acceptable in terms of fit for HIM comfort in aero position. If I can get it close, I may stick with road bike for 2014. If I can't, I may pull the trigger on a B16 after Christmas.

Keep us informed of your bike research and your plans!

John

2013-09-28 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I would probably go with the Felt in your scenario. I've just heard a lot of good and positive things about the Felt lineup but haven't ridden one myself. Like you mentioned, I was in a similar situation with plans to upgrade over the winter when I ran across my Shiv deal. I can only speak for me, but the Shiv is faster than my Raleigh Grand Sport road bike hands down. Just on a little 11 mile Time trial course I ride every so often to gauge progress, the Shiv beat my old PR by 1:20. It's fast, it leaves my legs more ready to run (maybe psychological but I feel it so its real to me), and it just looks cool (especially after I decide on my wheel upgrades) and makes the sport more fun. And that's what its all about. Hope that helps.!

Ready to race tomorrow. Battle of The Bridges Olympic - Melbourne, FL.

(DSCN0610.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN0610.JPG (265KB - 16 downloads)
2013-09-28 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
You guys are way too rational. Ugh. Thanks for the feedback. What makes this a tough thing is that I don't *need* a new bike. ha ha. Bike speed is one of those things that is hard to guestimate, I think. I do know that at my more recent triathlons, it seemed like I was only getting passed by the super bikes with zipp-wheels. Who knows why that is....It's not just the bikes, I'm sure those guys are much fitter (and the more serious athletes tend to get the more serious equipment).

I just came across an ad for my local Trek store where the same bike I was looking at was put on a 1 day sale about a month ago for $1300. It didn't sell. I'm thinking I may walk in and make an offer at that old sale price and if i did that would be a pretty sweet deal, I think.

Chris, thanks for your feedback. I fully understand that a big part of this is purely the "cool bike" factor ("maybe psychological but I feel it so its real to me, and it just looks cool"). One way that I look at is is that while I do everything on a shoe string budget (I feel like this is responsible since I have a large family and try to live frugally) i don't feel like this is as extravagent thing that I could do. After all, my hobby is not boating or golfing. (there I go talking myself into it again)

My current Dual is a cool bike in that it can be configured as a tri bike or a road bike. I considered converting my bike to a roadie (it's just dropping the aero bars and adding horns). My wife doesn't know about that plan yet...she's thinking I'll pay for the new bike by selling the 'ol Cervelo. hmmm.

We'll see what happens in the next few days.
2013-09-28 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I understand completely. I too pretty much buy everything relating to this hobby on some kind of sale or special price. And I use the same logic about not owning a boat or golfing or driving some expensive sports car, etc. I used to have 2 motorcycles in the garage, they are gone now, (in large part to the wife's wishes) so I figure a cool bicycle isn't too much to ask for.
2013-09-28 4:03 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by dprocket

One way that I look at is is that while I do everything on a shoe string (I feel like this is responsible since I have a large family and try to live frugally) i don't feel like this is as extravagent thing that I could do. After all, my hobby is not boating or golfing. (there I go talking myself into it again)

Well, if you want some rationalizations, just ask!!! First of all, you can definitely try the "It's an ENTRY level bike!"- sure it's $1800, but do you know how much REAL tri bikes cost? You're talking starting at $6K and going up to $10K+! This is me being reasonable and frugal! It's hard to make such a sacrifice, but I will do it for the family" Or you can go my route (justifying another $100 race entry fee to my wife)- "Do you know what guys at my work spend going out for drinks and appetizers every Friday? More than that- would you rather I'm fat and lazy going out drinking or getting up at 4am to do a race?" And speaking of hobbies, think of all the hobbies more expensive than triathlon- not just golf and boating, but gear intensive hobbies-- skiing, scuba diving, mountaineering, and what about getting your pilot's license! Think of how expensive that would be to fly every weekend instead of riding an ENTRY LEVEL bike!!
2013-09-28 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I just went through the same need vs. want internal discussion on bikes and ended up getting a Cervelo P2 (2012 model).  Turns out that Cervelo is getting ready to release a new version and has authorized their dealers to discount 10% (they had the 2012 for a 15% discount, and I liked the black vs. white better!).  My wife had made noises that maybe Santa would be good to me this year in the bike category, and the 10% discount vs. a likely price increase made Christmas come early. 

Did I need the Tribike?  Of course not!  Did I want it?  Yup.  Did it make me faster?  Yup.  I raced the Pacific Grove Oly last year on my road bike with clip on aero bars and averaged 18.6mph.  This year I raced the same course, but averaged 20.5 mph and had only ridden the tribike for a total of about 100 miles at that point.  I have worked on the engine over the last year, but don't think I can claim to have squeezed 2 mph out of it, so some of the credit goes to the bike.  I did notice a marked difference on the run as the legs definitely felt fresher and my pace improved by 40 sec/mile.  I'm not qualified to comment on the models of bikes that you listed, but definitely feel that a Tribike is going to be faster than a road bike that has been modified and that it is beneficial to the run.  Finally, I found it to be much more comfortable in the aero position than the roadie with clip-ons and was able to maintain the aero position the entire race without ever thinking I needed to take a break.

2013-09-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

So I got started with Trainerroad not too long ago and just finished the Intermediate Base I plan.  At the beginning of it I did the FTP test and it pegged me at 211w.  Today was the second test to see where I stand now.  To make it a bit more interesting, I bought the Sufferfest video that works for the test - called Rubber Glove because it is just about as comfortable as what happens when the Doctor puts on that ol' rubber glove.

So, fired up the training session, turned the fans up to high along with the volume.  Did Rubber Glove and my legs are still shaking.  Wow.  Based on my previous FTP of 211 the suggestion was to go to 232 as a target wattage for the 20 minute test ride.  I felt I could do better, but not sure how to figure out how much better to shoot for.  Got into the 20 minute test and played around a bit, finally deciding I'd target what I felt was an aggressive 250w.  5 minutes in and I was still feeling like it was a good choice.  10 minutes in I was questioning my wisdom, but holding it.  15 minutes in I was digging deep.  At 16 minutes the video said to give it more so I upped my target to 260w and saw my HR was at zone 6, but kept going.  Found it hard to keep focus and saw some power swings during the last 4 minutes.  Coming into the home stretch I was giving it all I could and thought this last minute was taking FOREVER, and it was because the timing clock had FROZEN.  I kept going for what I felt was a sufficient time to get in the 20 minutes, figuring I could calculate the average power from the data and just when I slowed down, the clock started going again!  CRAP, picked up the pace again and put in another minute at between 260w and 270w, marveling at how a 10 second break allowed the legs to recover (note to self: thing of this when on a steep downhill).  At the end of the day, averaged 251w, so very happy.  FTP went from 211 to 238, so an increase of about 13%.  I'm happy with that, and with the way I felt at the end.  Ride link: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/409954.  This Trainerroad stuff seems to work.

2013-09-28 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Nice work Tom! That's one of the beautiful things about TR... You can see tangible progress. I haven't done an FTP test since before tri season but I too saw significant gains. Gotta love the Sufferfest... I love the monster truck in Rubber Glove.
2013-09-28 10:33 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Tom- that's an impressive FTP gain! thanks for the head's up for the accompanying sufferfest video, I'll be sure to get that when i retest my FTP in 6-7 weeks.
John
2013-09-28 10:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by dprocketNice work Tom! That's one of the beautiful things about TR... You can see tangible progress. I haven't done an FTP test since before tri season but I too saw significant gains. Gotta love the Sufferfest... I love the monster truck in Rubber Glove.
Yeah, the truck was pretty awesome. What about the woman making an omelet while riding on rollers? You can bet she wasn't doing Rubber Glove! Actually I found that it took so much focus to maintain my desired power level during the test I barely saw any of the video - mostly just the green line and the power level, but overall it was a lot more engaging than just the standard TR 20-minute test. So I did the test at about 3pm today and right now lying in bed getting ready to read a bit before turning out the lights and my legs are still tingling. Guess I went hard enought, no?

Edited by TTom 2013-09-28 10:40 PM
2013-09-29 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Tom I thin you did great. I looked at your TR file and you did a great job of keeping consistent powered throughout. If you look at my last Rubber Glove workout I went out way too hard and petered out by the end. It was like a long slow death.

The girl making the omlette was hilarious and if I remember correctly that was during a recovery period. I've only actually done Rubber Glove once so I don't remember. Another great thing about Sufferfest is that you keep seeing new things. Like you, I've got my face on my stem so much that I frequently fail to look up. So I can do the same workout many times and still be entertained.

Btw John, I told my wife this morning that I was going to buy a motorcycle, start a gun collection and take up golf. We will see what kind of traction this strategy gives me.

I went into the Trek store and showed them my flyer with the SC at 1300 and they wouldn't bite. They said that was a special deal to get rid of some old merchandise (even though that merchandise is still there!). I may try again with a manager.

2013-09-30 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by dprocket Tom I thin you did great. I looked at your TR file and you did a great job of keeping consistent powered throughout. If you look at my last Rubber Glove workout I went out way too hard and petered out by the end. It was like a long slow death. The girl making the omlette was hilarious and if I remember correctly that was during a recovery period. I've only actually done Rubber Glove once so I don't remember. Another great thing about Sufferfest is that you keep seeing new things. Like you, I've got my face on my stem so much that I frequently fail to look up. So I can do the same workout many times and still be entertained. Btw John, I told my wife this morning that I was going to buy a motorcycle, start a gun collection and take up golf. We will see what kind of traction this strategy gives me. I went into the Trek store and showed them my flyer with the SC at 1300 and they wouldn't bite. They said that was a special deal to get rid of some old merchandise (even though that merchandise is still there!). I may try again with a manager.
  LOL - let us know how this works out for you!

So I've had a bit of a layoff from classic SBR.  The week before my last race I came down with shingles, so out of the pool until that healed up sufficiently that I would neither be communicable nor accused of carrying the plague to the masses.  At the race I stepped down onto what I thought was a sandy beach only to have my heel land squarely on a rock.  Thought I'd cut it open but no blood - but it turned out to be a seriously bruised heel, so no running for at least a couple more weeks.  As such, the elliptical is my new best friend and I'd forgotten how much one sweats on the stationary devices without fans.  I can literally wring sweat out of my shirt when I'm done.  To top it off, I took a fall at the bike dismount resulting in a dislocated (and later found to be fractured) finger, so had to have it splinted and told to stay off the bike until the splint came off.  So for biking, the trainer and I became real close (a good friendship, really).

Getting past these things now and was able to do my first ride outside yesterday and it was a glorious feeling.  Didn't kill myself or watch HR, just went with RPE and posted the highest average speed for that training course I've seen.  Ahhh, the value of enthusiasm!  That got all dashed to pieces today when I got back in the pool for the first time.  It has only been a few weeks but it felt like I haven't swum for months.  It didn't help that I've decided I'm going to focus on my weak side breathing to even out my stroke, but ugh, it was a slogfest.  Ended up only doing about 1000, rationalizing that I didn't want to overdo it.  I seem to remember I felt the same way after my last layoff and it took a while to feel strong in the pool again, so the journey starts again.

So I've always been a left-side breather which results in my having better rotation to the left side and incomplete rotation on my right.  I can see this in the OWS when I tend to veer off to the left if I go too long before sighting.  I had a session with a coach a few months ago where she had me do some weak side breathing and said that I actually have better form when doing so.  I was surprised today when my times were coming in at 1:30/100 for weak side 100's when my times for strong side have been typically 1:35-1:40 for the same conditions.  I guess the coach is right, but it is hard.  I found myself swallowing a lot of water and not getting enough air.  The 100's felt like sprints in terms of exertion once I was at the wall.  Have any of you gone through a similar issue where you've had to work on weak side breathing?  I'd appreciate any guidance based on your experience, and any thoughts on how long of a learning curve this really is.

2013-09-30 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Tom,

I can't help you on the weak side breathing thing, because I don't do it. I am more comfortable breathing on my right almost exclusively. When I get closer to race time, i will practice a bit of weak side breathing since it seems like the bueys are always on the left. I don't have a problem doing it when I need to.

I used to think I should work on it until I was watching the Olympic swimmers and many of them (Phelps included) breating every stroke on the same side. So, I stopped trying to work on it mainly because I figure I have figure issues to work out. If I determine that I actually have a more efficient and faster stroke on the weak side (like it seems like you have) that would probably give me motivation to try it.
2013-09-30 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I breathe pretty comfortably from either side, though right-side is my natural inclination. It was just a matter of forcing myself to breath left side for a few sessions until it became more comfortable. One thing I like to do is alternate which side I breath on each lap. That also helps me keep up with what lap I'm on. If I'm breathing on my right it's an odd numbered lap and on the left it's even. YMMV but it works for me.

In OWS/racing I tend to fall back to my natural state which is right-side, but there have been times when I was glad I could go to the left side when needed, ie. waves coming in from the right, or a competitor right up close splashing my right side. It's good to be confident enough to switch at least temporarily if needed. My .02.
2013-09-30 5:26 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Tom-

RE- learning curve for weak side- I can just say that I worked on it exclusively for 2 weeks of 10,000 yds/week this summer and then gave up, figuring I had more important things to work on swimming and I promised I'd return to it in the future. It's not that I couldn't do it, but I just never felt comfortable, always seemed to be more out of breath, having to take longer rests, worse balance, etc. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but based on my experience this summer, I would guess it would take me at least 3 months of 3x/week pool sessions breathing only weak-side to make it more natural, but that's just a guess, I just know that 20K yds wasn't even in the ballpark of being enough practice. but again, maybe I'm just a slow learner!

John
2013-09-30 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I'm with you John, on the out of breath, dead at the end of the interval, etc.  Think I might try swimming 25's and 50's allowing rest in between as today I found the first 25 was not hard to accomplish, the 2nd started to get more challenging, the third took lots of focus, and the 4th was survival.  Maybe shorter intervals trying to ingrain what seems to work best, the extending the intervals over time.  We'll see.  I do want to have the ability should I get in a situation where it is beneficial or necessary.

Switching gears, literally, I wanted to do a 2-hour ride today but had to take my wife to the doctor and there was no way to get the ride done in time.  So instead I decided to jump on the trainer and just do single leg drills and 10-2 and 4-8 o'clock drills.  I've done these as part of the trainerroad workouts, but didn't feel there was enough drillwork to have me get good at it.  Wow, after 45 minutes of these drills I was doing the single leg drills a whole lot better, switching off with 50 strokes on each side until I couldn't hold form, then did a few minutes of high cadence to relax things, then back to single leg work.  With the 10-2/4-8 drills I got some good feelings of a whole stroke that didn't have definite individual components.  When I started I thought these would be low effort so didn't bother turning on the fans.  Wrong.  Every bit as taxing as some of the other workouts, though shorter.  I think I'm going to look for opportunities to do these more often, when I can squeeze in a 30-45 minute set (but with fans!).  You might want to give this a try if you are time-crunched one day.

2013-10-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I raced my final event of the season on Sunday.
It didn't go exactly as planned as I struggled quite a bit on the run. That giant bridge at mile 4-6 probably had something to do with it.
Had a good swim and and an awesome bike though.
Race report is at my blog link below if interested.
Thanks for reading.
2013-10-01 7:46 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by Dominion

I raced my final event of the season on Sunday.
It didn't go exactly as planned as I struggled quite a bit on the run. That giant bridge at mile 4-6 probably had something to do with it.
Had a good swim and and an awesome bike though.
Race report is at my blog link below if interested.
Thanks for reading.

Great race report! Awesome bike split. Good way to end the season. I did a 10k bridge run early this year and I had no clue bridges were so steep! They don't seem that bad driving over them, running over them is a different story, especially coming back after you've already crossed it the first time.

Are you doing any fall running races?
2013-10-01 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Chris, great race with an awesome bike performance.  Your T1 and T2 times were quite respectable as well.  I agree with you about the apparent slopes of bridges, and I find the difference between driving and riding them to be as bad.  Sounds like this race is a really nice one.  Congrats!
2013-10-01 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Chris nice race and report (and thanks once again for feeding my desire for a new bike). Now it's time to jump on trainer road and start the off season. That sounds like a fun event.

Tom, I hate the one leg drills! That's probably the reason I should do them more often!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16