BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-05-03 9:13 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season

GROUP FOCUS:  Sprint and Olympic Triathlon Distances for first Timers through competitive Age Groupers

NAME: funkj25 / Jesse 

STORY: I've been an avid endurance athlete (first a runner, now a triathlete) for over a decade now. I began my running career in middle school and ran competitively through college at what is now a NCAA D2 school. Post college I have the fortune to be a part of USA Triathlon's Collegiate Recruitment Program that focuses on assisting young athletes in and just out of college make the transition from college athletics to professional level triathlon. 

I currently spend my time training and trying to figure out how to make life easier so I can train even more. My development over the years has been a little slower than some athletes around me so I tend to say my fitness is hard earned as I work hard and learn a lot about how to gain an edge in training and racing. Part of my endeavor is sharing some of the food that I eat on a regular basis as a side business to fuel my triathlon goals, info is found in my signature.

I have some experience coaching at the high school level for distance runners as well as mentoring younger athletes through college. Teaching and mentoring is something I enjoy and I love being able to share my passion (triathlon) with new and seasoned people to the sport alike. 

FAMILY STATUS: In a committed relationship of 3 years, no children (or pets!

CURRENT TRAINING: Current training load has me in the pool 3 times a week (15,000 meters, rest weeks 10,200m), 3 upper body strength sessions (45-60 minutes), 3-4 runs a week (24-30 miles) and 2-3 bike sessions (5-6 hours) with a brick (bike/run) every other week). I train 7 days a week currently for approximately 14-16 hours total load. This might move up slightly, but as we're getting into a higher intensity phase it won't have much room to grow more this year. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2012 was my first year I had the chance to make USAT Age Group nationals. I placed 16th at the regional just squeaking into qualification for AGN and then 288th (I believe) at Nationals. A bit disappointing on my swim at nationals, but otherwise a solid race that I can be happy about but not satisfied with.

2013 RACES:  3 races scheduled so far (would like to add 2 more, but choices are slim on the right parts of the calendar). The Kansas City Triathlon (May 19th), Omaha Triathlon i.e. Midwest Regional Championship (July) and Age Group Nationals (August 19th). I'm attempting to make the top 100 at AGN this year with the high achieving goal of top 50 supposing I make enough progress on the swim and bike. 

WEIGHTLOSS: My absolute weight should stay around 150 pounds, however I will be trying to maintain that weight while dropping some more body fat over the next 3.5 months as Nationals approaches. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: My background in leadership roles during college athletics as well as my experience coaching younger less experienced athletes will help me lend a helping hand as a mentor here on BT. Plus I love helping people troubleshoot some of their issues to reach a new goal they haven't done before which is the whole reason for volunteering to be a mentor in the first place for me. 

Edited by funkj25 2013-10-11 5:27 PM

2013-05-06 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4725704

User image

Wilmington NC
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN
NAME: Paula/roadtoadSTORY: I ran through HS and college then took several years off. I began running again in 2002 and took up triathlons in 2009. Running is still my first love but the more I do tris the more hooked I get. 2012 was the year of endurance for me starting off the year with my first marathon and ending it with my first HIM. I've dedicated 2013 to the year of speed. I want to PR every distance ( well, adult life pr). So far I have my 5k,10k, hm and sprint tri goals done. I don't plan to do another HIM this year due to time constraints and family time lost last year. I will begin marathon training soon.FAMILY STATUS: married to the best man in the world, 3 year old girl aka bundle of energy, 2 fat dogs, and 2 cats.CURRENT TRAINING: I feel like a slacker compared to you. I swim 2-3 days a week, run tues and thurs, spin class on Monday's unless the weather is great then I will ride outside. Weekends are usually a long run,long bike and/or brick2013 RACES:  I have done 2 hm, several 5k, 2 10k, 2 sprints so far I have a foaming mud run this weekend (5/11). Oly 6/8, sprint 7/14, marathon 10/5, and lord knows what else I will get intoWEIGHTLOSS: I lost the baby weight and then some but I have noticed an increase in my sweet tooth is reflecting very negatively on the scale lately. If I am to pr my marathon I need to loose 10-15 pounds.WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I am positive, have a little training knowledge to help out others, and I am a physical therapist so I can try to help out with those injury questions. I am horrible about logging my work outs but will try to get better.Paula
2013-05-07 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4730407

User image

Lenexa, KS

Roadtoad22 - 2013-05-06 8:43 PM NAME: Paula/roadtoadSTORY: I ran through HS and college then took several years off. I began running again in 2002 and took up triathlons in 2009. Running is still my first love but the more I do tris the more hooked I get. 2012 was the year of endurance for me starting off the year with my first marathon and ending it with my first HIM. I've dedicated 2013 to the year of speed. I want to PR every distance ( well, adult life pr). So far I have my 5k,10k, hm and sprint tri goals done. I don't plan to do another HIM this year due to time constraints and family time lost last year. I will begin marathon training soon.FAMILY STATUS: married to the best man in the world, 3 year old girl aka bundle of energy, 2 fat dogs, and 2 cats.CURRENT TRAINING: I feel like a slacker compared to you. I swim 2-3 days a week, run tues and thurs, spin class on Monday's unless the weather is great then I will ride outside. Weekends are usually a long run,long bike and/or brick2013 RACES:  I have done 2 hm, several 5k, 2 10k, 2 sprints so far I have a foaming mud run this weekend (5/11). Oly 6/8, sprint 7/14, marathon 10/5, and lord knows what else I will get intoWEIGHTLOSS: I lost the baby weight and then some but I have noticed an increase in my sweet tooth is reflecting very negatively on the scale lately. If I am to pr my marathon I need to loose 10-15 pounds.WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I am positive, have a little training knowledge to help out others, and I am a physical therapist so I can try to help out with those injury questions. I am horrible about logging my work outs but will try to get better.Paula

Paula,

Great to have you on board. I think we'll get along well with our similar HS and College athletic backgrounds. Also it's great to have a physio on board (maybe I'm a weirdo for it, but I call physical therapists physio's, just my odd quirk I suppose).

And I definitely don't think you're a slacker if this is your year of speed. Plus, I don't have a kid or several pets to contend with which takes more out of you mentally (which is a big deal) than you'd think.

I too have a sweet tooth so I understand the inclination there.

As for logging workouts, I just can't seem to keep up with it on the computer. I literally keep graph paper sitting on my desk that I plan my monthly training schedule out on and then checkmark for workouts completed or modify what's written if it changed for whatever reason. That's the only way I can keep up with writing my workouts down (and it's tough at that!).

What kind of Oly time do you need for a PR this year?

2013-05-07 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi,

The sprint and Olympic focus of this group seems like it would be a good fit for me.

Story:

I am 42 years old, married with 2 kids (8 and 4).

2013 is my first season of triathlon unless you count 2 sprint races in 1999.

I have been an on again off again runner all my life and a fairly decent swimmer. The bike is my weakest discipline by far. I recently joined a local riding group and am hoping that it will begin to pay off.  I am riding an entry level Raleigh Road bike that I put profile aero-bars on.  I plan to upgrade bikes for next season, but am determined to work on "the engine" before I drop any real money on a bike.

Training:

I am trying to work up to 10 hours/week of actual training time.  I am a professional Fire Captain working a 24on/48off schedule which is great for giving me time off to train but also limits me on my shift days as there is obviously no swimming or biking I can do during those days.  We do have a small gym we go to for an hour where I can get in some treadmill and elliptical time as well as lifting.  Currently my logs are set to "Friends only" but I will be glad to friend anybody who joins this group so my logs will be available.  I run usually 5 to 6 days a week.  Trying to get in at least 2 rides a week (20 miles short to 40 miles long.)  Swimming has been an issue as my indoor domed pool recently transitioned back to an outdoor pool.  It has been unseasonably cool here with temps in the upper 40's and low 50's in the morning, which has limited my ability to swim outdoors the last few weeks.  I do at least 2 sessions of an hour each intense lifting sessions per week.

Races:

I had my first sprint race last month.  It went OK, but plenty went wrong and I got a lot of mistakes out of the way.  You can read about it at my blog link below if so inclined.  My first Olympic is in 2 weeks.  I'm calling it an Olympic +4 as the bike is actually a 29 mile course (which is not optimal for me given I feel that is my biggest weakness.)  Nevertheless it is an ocean swim and I am looking forward to the challenge of this distance.  I have another Olympic and 3 more sprints on the schedule as well as some local 5k's for the remainder of the year.

Weigh Loss:

Weight loss isn't really an issue with me.  I am 6'5 and currently 191.  I have dropped about 30 pounds since starting my crusade to get back in shape last summer.  Weight loss was never a goal, more of a side effect of getting active again.

Anyway, that is my info.  I am looking to become a competitive Age-Grouper.  I seem to be more MOP right now but have the drive and motivation to improve.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Dominion 2013-05-07 11:08 AM
2013-05-08 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4731214

User image

Lenexa, KS
Dominion - 2013-05-07 11:04 AM

Hi,

The sprint and Olympic focus of this group seems like it would be a good fit for me.

Story:

I am 42 years old, married with 2 kids (8 and 4).

2013 is my first season of triathlon unless you count 2 sprint races in 1999.

I have been an on again off again runner all my life and a fairly decent swimmer. The bike is my weakest discipline by far. I recently joined a local riding group and am hoping that it will begin to pay off.  I am riding an entry level Raleigh Road bike that I put profile aero-bars on.  I plan to upgrade bikes for next season, but am determined to work on "the engine" before I drop any real money on a bike.

Training:

I am trying to work up to 10 hours/week of actual training time.  I am a professional Fire Captain working a 24on/48off schedule which is great for giving me time off to train but also limits me on my shift days as there is obviously no swimming or biking I can do during those days.  We do have a small gym we go to for an hour where I can get in some treadmill and elliptical time as well as lifting.  Currently my logs are set to "Friends only" but I will be glad to friend anybody who joins this group so my logs will be available.  I run usually 5 to 6 days a week.  Trying to get in at least 2 rides a week (20 miles short to 40 miles long.)  Swimming has been an issue as my indoor domed pool recently transitioned back to an outdoor pool.  It has been unseasonably cool here with temps in the upper 40's and low 50's in the morning, which has limited my ability to swim outdoors the last few weeks.  I do at least 2 sessions of an hour each intense lifting sessions per week.

Races:

I had my first sprint race last month.  It went OK, but plenty went wrong and I got a lot of mistakes out of the way.  You can read about it at my blog link below if so inclined.  My first Olympic is in 2 weeks.  I'm calling it an Olympic +4 as the bike is actually a 29 mile course (which is not optimal for me given I feel that is my biggest weakness.)  Nevertheless it is an ocean swim and I am looking forward to the challenge of this distance.  I have another Olympic and 3 more sprints on the schedule as well as some local 5k's for the remainder of the year.

Weigh Loss:

Weight loss isn't really an issue with me.  I am 6'5 and currently 191.  I have dropped about 30 pounds since starting my crusade to get back in shape last summer.  Weight loss was never a goal, more of a side effect of getting active again.

Anyway, that is my info.  I am looking to become a competitive Age-Grouper.  I seem to be more MOP right now but have the drive and motivation to improve.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Glad to have you as a part of our group. I can only imagine what that 24 on 48 off schedule does to your recovery time. I feel like I would go bonkers trying to get in quality training time and working that schedule. Although I'm a weenie and sleep a ton if given the opportunity so I suppose that's a factor too. 

It looks like you're getting in plenty of runs for the Oly distance (although I don't think you said how long they are). Would it be possible to swap out one of your runs for another ride on the bike? Triathlon has a brutal way of pointing out our weak spots and usually the best way to improve them is to focus more on that particular sport. 

What kind of things went wrong with your sprint? I know there's definitely days like that when it seems everything just isn't going your way. Let me know how I can help. 

2013-05-08 11:42 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island

NAME: johnmoran /  John

STORY: I'm 47 years old and am just getting into triathlons.  I have done some running in the past mostly 5ks, 10ks, and a few 1/2 marathons.  I have always been interested in triathlon but stayed away due to lack of swimming ability.  My younger sister is an avid triathlete and masters swimmer and last year I promised her I'd do her local sprint tri with her this year so I jumped in with both feet.  I've been taking private swim lessons and am slowly improving.  I started running consistently again in November 2012 after a decade off.  In addition to the private swim lessons, I am in a group tri swim class, a 13 week beginner tri clinic program, and have started doing group bike rides with local riders.  My goals this year are to gain experience in sprint triathlons, improve my swimming, get more volume on the bike, and increase my running speed, as I am currently very slow, but know from historical running experience that I can improve quite a bit as I get back into it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 young children, ages 11, 9, and 3.  My wife is a runner who loves to train and race, so we trade off child watching duties during each others' training times so it's a very supportive environment at home for getting time to train.  Additionally my 11 year old son has been running in community track/cross country since he was 7 so he runs with me at least once a week.

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training load is around 10 hours/week.  I am swimming at least twice a week, 3-4 runs/week (18-22 miles) and biking at least twice a week, trying to get 3 rides in when possible.  My bike training needs more focus as I am kind of winging it without a real development plan.

2013 RACES:  I have run two 5ks and a 10k already this year, I have a 10k in August, and am running the Mount Washington Road Race June 15th, which is messing with my tri training a bit as that requires a lot of specific hill running training.  I have registered for 4 sprint tris this season, one in June (a week after Mt. Washington, not the best timing for my first tri...), two in July, and one in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5'11" with a large/bulky frame and currently weigh 184.  My ideal weight is around 170-172, which I estimate would be in the 8-9% body fat range, so I have some weight to lose, but it is coming off as the training volume is increasing.  

That's about all I can think of.  I don't have much to offer the group in terms of tri-knowledge, but I'm a nice guy and very supportive of others!

Thanks- John

Edited by johnmoran 2013-05-08 11:44 AM

2013-05-08 12:36 PM

User image

Name: Mike

Story:  Realized the need to get in shape after pulling two hamstrings playing beer league slow-pitch.  I have never been a endurance athlete, but thought doing a triathlon would give me a goal to work towards. Completed two sprint races last year (Wasa Lake Tri, Subaru Banff tri)  and was hooked.  I still do not really enjoy running but have worked on it since it is my weakness.  I am married and have two kids age 4 and 6 which keeps us on the go.  

Current training:  Training about 6-8 hours a week at this point balanced between each sport as I am month out to the first race.  

As it sits right now I am committed to two races, a Sprint at Wasa June 9th and I am try to decide between a sprint or OLy at the banff race in Sept.  

Looking to gain some direction on how to improve my times as my fitness base grows. 

I am 6'1" and weigh 220,  This summer I am wanting to focus on dropping some weight as I train, which requires discipline to not treat myself because I trained. 

2013-05-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4733230

User image

Lenexa, KS
johnmoran - 2013-05-08 11:42 AM

NAME: johnmoran /  John

STORY: I'm 47 years old and am just getting into triathlons.  I have done some running in the past mostly 5ks, 10ks, and a few 1/2 marathons.  I have always been interested in triathlon but stayed away due to lack of swimming ability.  My younger sister is an avid triathlete and masters swimmer and last year I promised her I'd do her local sprint tri with her this year so I jumped in with both feet.  I've been taking private swim lessons and am slowly improving.  I started running consistently again in November 2012 after a decade off.  In addition to the private swim lessons, I am in a group tri swim class, a 13 week beginner tri clinic program, and have started doing group bike rides with local riders.  My goals this year are to gain experience in sprint triathlons, improve my swimming, get more volume on the bike, and increase my running speed, as I am currently very slow, but know from historical running experience that I can improve quite a bit as I get back into it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 young children, ages 11, 9, and 3.  My wife is a runner who loves to train and race, so we trade off child watching duties during each others' training times so it's a very supportive environment at home for getting time to train.  Additionally my 11 year old son has been running in community track/cross country since he was 7 so he runs with me at least once a week.

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training load is around 10 hours/week.  I am swimming at least twice a week, 3-4 runs/week (18-22 miles) and biking at least twice a week, trying to get 3 rides in when possible.  My bike training needs more focus as I am kind of winging it without a real development plan.

2013 RACES:  I have run two 5ks and a 10k already this year, I have a 10k in August, and am running the Mount Washington Road Race June 15th, which is messing with my tri training a bit as that requires a lot of specific hill running training.  I have registered for 4 sprint tris this season, one in June (a week after Mt. Washington, not the best timing for my first tri...), two in July, and one in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5'11" with a large/bulky frame and currently weigh 184.  My ideal weight is around 170-172, which I estimate would be in the 8-9% body fat range, so I have some weight to lose, but it is coming off as the training volume is increasing.  

That's about all I can think of.  I don't have much to offer the group in terms of tri-knowledge, but I'm a nice guy and very supportive of others!

Thanks- John

Welcome to the group John. Everybody comes to triathlon from a little different background, but the community is just absolutely great. Pretty much any race you go to you can find someone to talk to (whether you're waiting in the long lines for the john or toeing the water line). 

Good to hear you're taking some proactive steps on that swim section. I've come from a run background and the technique there is so important on the swim as I've come to realize. 

Taking a year to do all sprints is a great way to get the mechanics (physical adaptation and psychological transition during T1 and T2) down so it's great to hear you focusing in on these.

Edited by funkj25 2013-05-08 1:52 PM
2013-05-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4733360

User image

Lenexa, KS
southcountrytri - 2013-05-08 12:36 PM

Name: Mike

Story:  Realized the need to get in shape after pulling two hamstrings playing beer league slow-pitch.  I have never been a endurance athlete, but thought doing a triathlon would give me a goal to work towards. Completed two sprint races last year (Wasa Lake Tri, Subaru Banff tri)  and was hooked.  I still do not really enjoy running but have worked on it since it is my weakness.  I am married and have two kids age 4 and 6 which keeps us on the go.  

Current training:  Training about 6-8 hours a week at this point balanced between each sport as I am month out to the first race.  

As it sits right now I am committed to two races, a Sprint at Wasa June 9th and I am try to decide between a sprint or OLy at the banff race in Sept.  

Looking to gain some direction on how to improve my times as my fitness base grows. 

I am 6'1" and weigh 220,  This summer I am wanting to focus on dropping some weight as I train, which requires discipline to not treat myself because I trained. 

Mike, great to have another group member. I hope your hammies have recovered nicely. Stretching (and especially active stretching) is a huge part of improving performance in any sport, but especially triathlon. Although we tend to focus on power output (watts, etc.) the flexibility of your muscles contributes a large part to the amount of snap/contraction can occur without injury, which creates more power consequently. 

If you're thinking that your training load at the 6-8 hour range will stay consistent without growing towards that September race I would encourage you to do an additional sprint instead of the Olympic. You might have enough hours under your belt to complete the race just fine, but I'm a big proponent of having a entirely successful race in that you get to race rather than just look for completion (but opinions will vary). 

Let me know if you have any troubles with figuring out a stretching routine (I'll be doing a video on a good warmup routine for running workouts sooner or later) to do or any other kind of random things you want to know. I'm chocked full of random tidbits and with the rest of our group I'm sure we'll get you covered. 

2013-05-08 2:15 PM

NAME: Nichole1797/Nichole

STORY:  I have exercised my whole life (31) anything from running, aerobics, spinning etc.  I love to do a little bit of everything, but seem to get hurt if I do anything over and over.  I have never done a triathlon, but want something that will be fun but challenging.  I have started the plan that is on here for beginners, although I am a bit worried about the swim portion.  Any help that can be given to me or tips that anyone has learned would be greatly helpful.  I am currently a school nurse, and have summers off so no better time to start!!

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married with 3 children ages: 2, 8, and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: The 11 week sprint training program listed on this website.

THIS YEARS RACES:  I plan to do a race close to home in KS the beginning of August.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am more concerned with getting stronger in each area, and weight loss that occurs will be welcomed.

I think I will be a good addition to your team, because everything you tell me will be helpful.  You will be able to take partial credit for my success, who doesn't enjoy that!!

2013-05-08 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4733575

User image

Lenexa, KS
nichole1797 - 2013-05-08 2:15 PM

NAME: Nichole1797/Nichole

STORY:  I have exercised my whole life (31) anything from running, aerobics, spinning etc.  I love to do a little bit of everything, but seem to get hurt if I do anything over and over.  I have never done a triathlon, but want something that will be fun but challenging.  I have started the plan that is on here for beginners, although I am a bit worried about the swim portion.  Any help that can be given to me or tips that anyone has learned would be greatly helpful.  I am currently a school nurse, and have summers off so no better time to start!!

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married with 3 children ages: 2, 8, and 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: The 11 week sprint training program listed on this website.

THIS YEARS RACES:  I plan to do a race close to home in KS the beginning of August.

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am more concerned with getting stronger in each area, and weight loss that occurs will be welcomed.

I think I will be a good addition to your team, because everything you tell me will be helpful.  You will be able to take partial credit for my success, who doesn't enjoy that!!

Nichole,

Welcome to the group. I think you'll find triathlon is a great way to train for one event while keeping enough variety that you should be less injury prone than focusing entirely on one discipline (everything in moderation though!). 

If you get time (and someone to help) and can take a video of you swimming both from the side for a length down and back as well as the front/back position and post it on the forums (either in the mentor group here or the main "triathlon talk" forum) you should be able to get plenty of feedback on your swim to keep you busy and productive. 

2013-05-09 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4732687

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
funkj25 - 2013-05-08 8:34 AM

Chris,

Glad to have you as a part of our group. I can only imagine what that 24 on 48 off schedule does to your recovery time. I feel like I would go bonkers trying to get in quality training time and working that schedule. Although I'm a weenie and sleep a ton if given the opportunity so I suppose that's a factor too. 

It looks like you're getting in plenty of runs for the Oly distance (although I don't think you said how long they are). Would it be possible to swap out one of your runs for another ride on the bike? Triathlon has a brutal way of pointing out our weak spots and usually the best way to improve them is to focus more on that particular sport. 

What kind of things went wrong with your sprint? I know there's definitely days like that when it seems everything just isn't going your way. Let me know how I can help. 

The schedule isn't bad.  It is limiting on those shift days, but gives me tons of free time to dedicate to training on my 2 days off.  I plan to start adding more rides in per week.  The weather had been a limiting factor through the winter.  I plan to have a trainer by next year and should be able to add a lot more hours on the bike. 

As far as my first Tri of the season, the problems were mostly logistical.  Hotel was 30 minutes away, got lost on race morning, arrived at last minute so missed any chance to warm-up or get in the right frame of mind.  Also it was cold and my feet and fingers were numb coming into T2...fumbled around with shoe laces, etc.. That problem has been taken care of with the purchase of Pearl Izumi N1's...no more laces to tie.

2013-05-09 9:51 PM

Hello Jesse,

My name is Drew Lussier. I am a first time triathlete with little experience in any of the three sports. I picked up cycling almost two years ago, but only recently became more serious about it. I have been interested and active in general fitness for the past 4 years. 

MY FITNESS GOALS:

Sprint Distance triathlons

I dont think i will ever do much more than this. I feel the time commitment is immense for anything more than sprint distance, and as a college student who works full time, and who plans on having a busy career, i feel sprint is enough for me to round out fitness goals

Other Training

I have been weight training consistently since September of 2012. Before 8 weeks ago i was doing full body 5 times a week, but now am doing chest, triceps, biceps, and back. I also i doing one triathlon specific workout a week focusing on core, legs, and power drills. I also have shoulder issues and have been trying to incorporate a shoulder rehab program into my regimen.

My Plan

I was hoping you could take a look at the custom plan i created, and give me any tips or advice. I used the swim focused plan on this website and customized it to include weightlifting, and the other workouts i mentioned above.I'm a little concerned that i am not getting enough rest or that the workouts may be in the wrong order. I just changed my rest days (shoulder rehab) from mondays and fridays to tuesdays and thursdays.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me for my fitness goals.

Thank you.

Drew Lussier

Edited by alussier00 2013-05-09 10:48 PM
2013-05-10 12:13 PM

User image

New user

Richmond

?Name: Victoriarn1019/Victoria

Story: I have been an athelete all my life, from swimming to running.  I did my first triathlon in 1998 and feel in love with the sport.  I have completed multiple 5,10k and 1/2 marathons, but have always missed the variety of training that goes with running.  I have given myself a personal challenage to complete the Nation's Triatholon on September 8th in honor of my brother who has been fight lymphoma for 5 years.  I will doing it in the honor of him. I have started training with a beginnner training plan found on the website and I have been very good at sticking to it.  At times I I want to continue on training but know that if I over do it, the results may be more harmful later so I stop. After I finish this training I plan to continue to train for the local 1/2 in november

Family Status: Registered Nurse who working with Veterans of our Armed Forces. Married for 10 1/2 years with 3 children 2 girls ages  9 and 5 and one boy age 2

Current training:  Beginnner program for Oymplic length Triatholon. I follow that to the tee.

Weight loss: My ultimate goal is to lose a total of 80 pounds, but would like to have 30 off before the event. My goal is to continue to drop body fat as I have lots of it left over after having 3 children.  I would like to become stronger and more defined.

I think this would be a group would be good for me with the diverse background of racing and to help me accomplish my goals

Victoria

2013-05-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4736699

User image

Lenexa, KS
victoriarn1019 - 2013-05-10 12:13 PM

?Name: Victoriarn1019/Victoria

Story: I have been an athelete all my life, from swimming to running.  I did my first triathlon in 1998 and feel in love with the sport.  I have completed multiple 5,10k and 1/2 marathons, but have always missed the variety of training that goes with running.  I have given myself a personal challenage to complete the Nation's Triatholon on September 8th in honor of my brother who has been fight lymphoma for 5 years.  I will doing it in the honor of him. I have started training with a beginnner training plan found on the website and I have been very good at sticking to it.  At times I I want to continue on training but know that if I over do it, the results may be more harmful later so I stop. After I finish this training I plan to continue to train for the local 1/2 in november

Family Status: Registered Nurse who working with Veterans of our Armed Forces. Married for 10 1/2 years with 3 children 2 girls ages  9 and 5 and one boy age 2

Current training:  Beginnner program for Oymplic length Triatholon. I follow that to the tee.

Weight loss: My ultimate goal is to lose a total of 80 pounds, but would like to have 30 off before the event. My goal is to continue to drop body fat as I have lots of it left over after having 3 children.  I would like to become stronger and more defined.

I think this would be a group would be good for me with the diverse background of racing and to help me accomplish my goals

Victoria

Victoria glad to have you joining the group here. Eating well and exercise are almost always prescribed for weight loss (not that I have to tell you), but my opinion is that you have to find something you love be it Triathlon, Volleyball, Horseback Riding or whatever it is that's some kind of physical activity to keep that good weight range in check. Hopefully you can find that in Triathlon and from the looks of it you've done plenty of events before. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with your goals. I have a very close family member who has finally been able to stick to their diet and lose a significant amount of weight. Although I played no part it's always cool to see people succeeding at what they set out to do. 

I've been a little silent the last few days working with a couple of you via PMs on various things. If you have any questions you want answered from just me feel free to shoot me a PM and ask or you can ask here in our little group to get answers from the other group members as well (which is great). 

2013-05-15 8:44 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I had a great run this weekend. The Foam Fest 5k in Richmond Va. If one comes to your town you must grab your friends and do it. Foaming mud run with 60'foam covered slip and slide, and a 30 foot "death drop" inflatable slide! Of course on my 4 hr ride home my tri buddy and I were talking and she may have convinced me to do another half iron and hold off on the marathon. Decisions decisions. Hope everyone's training is going wellPaulaPs is there a formatting button that I don't know about? I can't get my posts to look like the way I actually type them

2013-05-16 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4744590

User image

Lenexa, KS

Paula,

Great to hear you had a good weekend. I'm always too much of a prude to enjoy races like the foam runs Undecided but I'll probably get one in eventually. I've got my first race coming up Sunday and I'm actually renting some Zipp 404's from the local bike shop so I'm excited to be running on some faster wheels. 

As far as the formatting goes it's supposed to be WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editing so without standing behind you at the computer I'm not sure what advice to give. 

I'll be posting an update after my race this weekend. I hope everyone else is getting close to their first races of the season. I'm interested in hearing how everyone is doing.

Jesse

2013-05-16 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
My 2nd race of the year is Saturday.  It's my first Olympic ever and it looks like it will be wetsuit legal..another first for me.  I'll post a full race report.
2013-05-16 7:26 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island

I have a question anyone with experience is welcome to weigh in on-- I'm trying to decide whether to invest in clip on aerobars or not.  I ride an entry level road bike, Felt F95.  Today I went out and rode the bike course of my first tri (a sprint on June 23) and averaged 16.9mph.  I had to do a few road crossings and had to go slow a few times on purpose looking for the turns/road signs, so I will be generous and assume with a similar/slightly harder effort I might get to 17.5-18 on race day, no clue.  However, going to bikecalculator.com and inputting my data as best as I could estimate, it said my speed would improve by over 2.5mph with aerobars vs. riding the hoods.  I doubt it would be that significant, but there are about 4-5 miles out of the 11.2 mile course that are flat and straight, so I believe aerobars would help a lot on that.

I guess my question is, with about a month left to train for that tri, is it worth the time/effort/learning curve to get the aerobars?   If so, any recommendations?  I don't want to spend a lot, as I would rather save my money for an actual tri-bike in a year or so.

thanks for any discussion-

John

2013-05-16 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4746138

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

My plan is also to upgrade to tri-bike for next year, so I put a pair of Profile Design StrykeBend on my road bike.  You can get them for $60 at Nashbar.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547828_-1___202445

They work great for me and took very little getting used too.  I can't speak to the 2.5mph data, but I know they will make you more aero which should mean going faster.  They may not make a huge difference in a short ride like 11.2 miles but being able to stay in aero without having to hold yourself up (such as when riding the drops)) will add up to a ton of time saved as the distance increases.  I would say that a month is plenty of time to get them and get adjusted in time for your race.  

2013-05-16 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4746191

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Dominion - 2013-05-16 9:13 PM

My plan is also to upgrade to tri-bike for next year, so I put a pair of Profile Design StrykeBend on my road bike.  You can get them for $60 at Nashbar.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547828_-1___202445

They work great for me and took very little getting used too.  I can't speak to the 2.5mph data, but I know they will make you more aero which should mean going faster.  They may not make a huge difference in a short ride like 11.2 miles but being able to stay in aero without having to hold yourself up (such as when riding the drops)) will add up to a ton of time saved as the distance increases.  I would say that a month is plenty of time to get them and get adjusted in time for your race.  

thanks for the input!  did you do anything else for bike fit with moving seat forward or adjusting stem when adding the aero bars?

2013-05-17 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4746277

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
My bike has an adjustable stem, so the only thing I did was have the stem pretty high when i first installed the aerobars, then after a couple of rides to acclimate I lowered the stem angle a little bit.  A week or so later, lowered it again.  You may have to play around with the stem  or seat to see what works for you.  I wouldn't try to just jump straight to an extreme aero position though, ease into it with small adjustments if you can.  When I first made the change I could feel it a little in my lower back but by slowly working my way to that lower position I have had no real problems.
2013-05-17 7:52 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS

Chris pretty much has the right idea (or at least I'd agree with it) concerning the aero bars. It's that position that the aero bars allow you to be in that makes you more "slippy." Although I haven't done the math myself 2.5 mph gains with just adding aero bars to a road bike seem a bit over exaggerated. Seems possible if you switch from road bike in the drops to tri bike with aero bars in perfect position. Personally I'm still riding a roadie (cannondale system six) with clip ons and am hoping to buy a TT bike next year with a maximum possible gain of 1 mph as an estimate, although in reality I expect it will be less than this.

If you're planning on getting a time trial bike next year I'd just weigh out how much the possible time savings are worth to you. If they're worth 60-120 (a good range for clip ons) then go for it. If you'd rather stick that in the TT bike fund then go that route. 

In triathlon I find there's always more gear you can buy, but not always more money to be spent on it. So just try to go for what you think your maximum input/output will be and go from there.

2013-05-17 9:38 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
thanks for the advice guys.  I think I will be getting some, but will get the < $100 ones so it doesn't hurt my budget too much. 
2013-05-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Wilmington NC
I am glad this subject was brought up. My husband has been asking me what I want for my b day for a few weeks now and I couldn't think of anything ( affordable) but aero bars have been on my list. I know I won't get that much faster with them but I think I might be more comfortable or efficient . I really want to upgrade to a carbon tri bike but can't afford a new one and apparently really short people never sell their bikes!

My next question is to half iron or full marathon in oct ? I am so torn I wish I could do both but I don't think that's possible

Paula
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16