BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-10-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN
Originally posted by dprocket

I do not care about the mud run at all: my main objective is to not get hurt. However, I do want to do it as I don't want to "wimp out" and also my wife has been looking forward to doing this with me. I'm hesitant to go out and run Thursday or Friday and potentially aggravate it and find out I can't run at all on Saturday (mud run is only about 3.5 miles). If I take the additional days off, I'm pretty sure I'd be good to go on Saturday, but that will mean I've lost 3 runs in a row on my HM training. Probably not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

Thoughts?

Boy, if it were me, and my Achilles was injured, I'd avoid any kind of runs with unsure footing! Running an obstacle course/mud run with a minor injury is just asking for it to become a major one. I'd sit it out. But I'm very conservative when it comes to injury prevention- it's my number one goal these days, I'm no spring chicken and the older I get the more I baby any minor tweak/strain/pull/inflammation so as not to ever end up having to take weeks/months off because I didn't listen to my early warning signs.

2013-10-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by johnmoran

Originally posted by dprocket

I do not care about the mud run at all: my main objective is to not get hurt. However, I do want to do it as I don't want to "wimp out" and also my wife has been looking forward to doing this with me. I'm hesitant to go out and run Thursday or Friday and potentially aggravate it and find out I can't run at all on Saturday (mud run is only about 3.5 miles). If I take the additional days off, I'm pretty sure I'd be good to go on Saturday, but that will mean I've lost 3 runs in a row on my HM training. Probably not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

Thoughts?

Boy, if it were me, and my Achilles was injured, I'd avoid any kind of runs with unsure footing! Running an obstacle course/mud run with a minor injury is just asking for it to become a major one. I'd sit it out. But I'm very conservative when it comes to injury prevention- it's my number one goal these days, I'm no spring chicken and the older I get the more I baby any minor tweak/strain/pull/inflammation so as not to ever end up having to take weeks/months off because I didn't listen to my early warning signs.

I ignored all common sense and did the obstacle course mud run. It turned out great! No (new) injuries!

I actually had not run at all since last Saturday. I was going to run on Thursday/Friday, but ended up scrimmaging with my assistant coaches against the kid's soccer team I coach and that left me a bit hobbled. Playing soccer (even against 3rd and 4th graders) is a much different test tha triathlon training.

Even though I was sore, I wrapped my shoe/foot/ankle in about 300 feet of duct tape and went for it. We were in a large group and tried to stay together, so the pace was very very slow, with lots of walking. My wife and I couldn't wait for the rest of the group for too long so we ran a little faster but never faster than "long slow run" pace. The biggest problem is that this obstacle course/mud run was on a ski slope. The obstacles were no big deal (yes, lots of water and mud) but the hills were frequent and steep.

At the end of the day, the Achilles held up and actually feels pretty good this evening so I'm thinking maybe the light running may have been helpful and I'm looking forward to trying to get back into it this coming week.
2013-10-27 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Glad you made it through without incident. I've heard too many horror stories about twisted ankles/knees from those mud runs.
2013-11-05 10:06 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
It's a little slow around here...

I'm still trying to recover from an achilles issue so it's a little frustrating.

Here in KC, the Chiefs are the big story as the NFL's only undefeated team. A fellow triathlete buddy of mine is from CO and follows the Broncos. He wants to make a training bet when the two teams play in two weeks: the loser has to run, bike and swim the number of points that the winning team scores within a week. (So if Denver wins 35-27, I have to run 35, bike 35 and swim 3500 yards in a week). I'm not sure this is a good bet for me as the Broncos are a high scoring team and if they hit their average, I'm going to be in bad shape....thoughts?
2013-11-08 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
The bike and swim shouldn't be too much of a problem, but that could be a high run week! The Broncos could drop 45!
2013-11-09 6:54 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by Dominion

The bike and swim shouldn't be too much of a problem, but that could be a high run week! The Broncos could drop 45!

I agree. I'd suggest:

swim = same as suggested
bike = 2 x score
run = 1/2 x score

Still could be rough if they put up 55 like my Patriots just did on the Steelers!

2013-11-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Boo patriots! You just had to go there huh? The men of Steel will be back! (Not this year, but they'll be back!)
2013-11-15 6:34 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Well we've died off a bit here and in part because my training has ramped up. I'm going to bed at least a hour earlier than I have been just because I get so friggin' tired.

Hopefully as a little motivator I wanted to post up the month's totals for me here (this is the end of week 8 on my schedule). After talking with my swim coach we've gotten a bit more aggressive on the swim totals than I anticipated. Run total includes my last day of the schedule tomorrow with 9 miles.

Monthly Totals:
Swim - 70,300 meters
Bike - 18.5 hours on the trainer (if I was outside this probably would have been ~333 miles)
Run - 103 miles

You can tell I'm still emphasizing the swim like crazy over the other two disciplines, but I need it. The bike is ramping up very slowly, but the frequency is much more-so than it was last year and the intensity will start building after another month so I can really work on that FTP rate.

One swim tip I just learned from my new coach is that you don't go down in mileage on the swim during rest week like you do on the run (and maybe you do on the bike? At least I do). In reality the mileage should stay the same but the amount of time on the intervals you have go up. Even the intensity didn't really change a bunch we still did some faster intervals and had me pushing the edge, but the amount of time between each effort was more than usual so it was comparably easy.

As an example my "base" interval is 1:40/100 meters. This would be for a threshold type effort just running me through 100's on 1:40 for the whole main set of 3600 meters or so. It changes depending on the effort he wants from me. So on some of the 200 intervals I did on Monday he had me on 3:45 so I had ~35 seconds rest on those before starting the next which is pretty big in swimming compared to the usual 5-15 we've been doing.

Hope everyone is doing well and the rest of life is happening well. As a side life-note I (and my girlfriend) served up my high protein pancakes for a race last weekend. Fed about 175 people, lots of clean plates and from what I heard positive comments. Only made a handful of actual sales though so I don't know whether I'll continue with the project or not. Mostly on the not side at this moment, but I do still have inventory to decide what to do with.
2013-11-16 7:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Those are some serious swim totals there. Wow! Makes me realize how inadequate my training is even when I think I am doing something.

Good luck with the pancake thing. I like your entrepreneurial spirit. I'm looking for some kind of small business idea to build as a side project myself.

Edited by Dominion 2013-11-16 7:30 PM
2013-11-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lenexa, KS
Well I'm definitely an entrepreneur at heart and I'll have a new project up here in the next few weeks. I think just for the sake of time and effort involved of manufacturing, educating, marketing, selling, etc. a new product I don't think I have the time or possibly the capability needed to make it happen successfully, not to mention my lackluster enthusiasm . So I'm headed in a more retail direction that I've already had some success/traction in with my eBay business, but building my own platform so I'm not so limited on being competitive solely on price.

As far as the swim totals though yeah I'm definitely moving up from last year. This last couple weeks was ~19,000 meters. My coach wants me at 6 days of swimming, I will probably concede to 5 (I'm at 4) and he wants me somewhere between 27,000 and 30,000 meters a week. The plan is to be at 27k for the week in 2 months time. It'll be 3 main workouts of 6000 meters and 2 extra days in between those that the main workouts will be run or bike and it'll be active recovery for ~4500 meters. If I don't drop another serious chunk of time by Nationals this coming year I don't know what to think. I'll be more than doubling the amount of swimming I'll be doing a month prior to last year.

His rationale is that in actuality his distance swimmers are one of the lower meterage programs and they're swimming about 60k a week. Some of the higher mileage collegiate programs will go 80-100k a week for their distance swimmers. He also was college teammates and is still in touch with professional triathlete Kevin Everett on a regular basis so he gets his two bits on things regarding me and writes workouts for Kevin on occasion. Anyway so that's why he wanted me to get to around the 30k mark. Also he wants to make sure that 1500 meters is childs play to me both mentally and physically so its easier to crush like I need to so I can cross over into the professional ranks.

Edited by funkj25 2013-11-17 1:00 PM
2013-12-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Merry Christmas everyone!

Looks what Santa brought me!

I hope everyone's winter training program is going great!

(2013-12-25 09.10.43-small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013-12-25 09.10.43-small.jpg (98KB - 8 downloads)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16