General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
USA Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 29s
Overall Rank = 220/804
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/58
Pre-race routine:

Let's see if I can remember everything! Left Denver on Wed the 5th after being in Winter park for 3 nights. Got to Salina Kansas and spent the night there at the Holiday Inn express. Great breakfast there! Free! Woke up and drove to Smithville Rez in Kansas city on Thurs. Got to the campground and set up the camper. This was going to be race central for me Adam, Matt and Jen, and my family off course. the swim had moved this year so we were not across the lake from the start this year. That's ok because it was not far. Adam and I rode the bike course around noon. Nice and hilly. We checked out where to go fast and where to conserve. At a great dinner at the campsite and I cooked pasta and salmon for the family and Adam.. Drank some coronas on this night! Woke up the next day and swam out at the swim start to the first bouy and back with Matt and Adam and did a 20 minute run with pickups and then went over to the race hotel and picked up packets and went to the race meeting and had a small lunch. We then drove back to the race site to check in and leave the bikes over night. Another pasta dinner with Matt, Jen, Adam and the Fam. I cooked. I like to be able to eat what I want at races. Went to bed early and only 2 beers. Sleep.
RACE DAY- Matt and Jen came to the camp site and picked me up and the girls did a 5 mile run over to the transition area as the kids watch a movie in the car. Got the Trans area set up and went for a quick run with Adam and matt with some pick ups. I ate 1 pancake, protein shake, coffee. Got to the swim start and was not able to warmup. Got ready and talked to a few guys from Colo.
Event warmup:

Short run with 4 pickups of 20 seconds each.
Swim
  • 31m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seemed a bit weird that the horn just went off without warning. I was in mid sentence with the guy next to me when it went off.
So I walk/jogged for a bit and then began to dolphin until deeper water. My swim felt ok but it ended up being my worst 1500 meter swim to date. I really tried to concentrate on reach, roll and finish the whole swim. Started out fast and settled in. Noone to draft on, they were all ahead of me. Last 300 I kicked hard and swam faster to get the legs ready for th bike. Long run up the beach to T1.
What would you do differently?:

work on my form. I have a coach now and he is helping me. Cortino Garcia at the ATP center in Evergreen.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Fastest T1 in my age group. Felt smooth and effortless.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 06m 20s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike ride. Got a bit windy on the back section which made it challenging. Push a pretty easy pace most of the time. My legs were feeling a bit sore so I kept it easier than usual. I also wanted to have a solid run. I passed many guys in my age group and had about 7 guys pass me, none in my age group. That was a good sign.

More hill training. I have not done constant rollers in training and lacked a bit of strength here. Push a bit harder gear on more of the hills, I spun up most of them.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

6th fastest in the agegroup. I should have been faster here. Had a long run all the way down the hill to exit. Shoes on, hat on, number belt.

Move quicker when putting on the shoes.
Run
  • 42m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started easy to get the HR settled and legs adjusted. Move up through the field and passed several in my agegroup. I had a lot of catching up to do after a poor swim. Throught the first 3 miles I felt good and the last 3 were crap. I felt like I could walk faster up some hills. Some guys were motoring by me. None in my agegroup which was good again., I felt like I was just trying to not let many people pass me at this point. I knew I was not having a good run so I tried to be smart and shorten the strides on the up hills and lengthen them on the down hills. It seemed to be working ok. Got to with in the last .1 on the race and a guy passed me whith about 200 yards to go. Nothing left to catch him. I just looked back to see if any one else was coming, there was noone. THank god! Finished and saw Adam with big grin on his face and he said to me great race! I was supposed to be saying that to him! That was nice.

train more in the hills. No hill training to speak of.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the lake to cool off and had water and Gatorade and talked to Matt and Adam.
They both had great races for their first Olympic distance races. And Adam beat my ass into a pulp! Matt held it together and finshed strong to beat a guy that had beat him earlier in the year. That is a great feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills!

Event comments:

Super race put on by Ultrmax and USAT. Well organized and loger than a Oly. Bike was 26.2 and the run was 6.3 The race director told us it was long. Lots of good beer drinking with my wife and Matt and Jen. Great trip all in all with the crew and family.
Last note. I got an age group roll down spot to go to Worlds in Lausanne Switzerland. 25th place is the last spot to roll down to if 9 people ahead of me don't take it and that happened. So I am trying to sell some stock to take my wife with me. Nothing final yet!

Last updated: 2006-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 47/58
Overall: 0/804
Performance: Bad
Suit: Atp Louis Garneau Shark top and my orca worlds bot
Course: Big rectangle. 1 loop. very shallow start and exit area, lots of dalphining.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:20 | 24.8 miles | 22.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Big Triangle on constant rolling hills. I mean constant.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:25 | 06.21 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/58
Performance: Average
Course: Big loop on park trails, very windy (curvey) and hilly! Pretty flat to slightly up hill for the first 4 miles on the path. Then 2 miles of rolling big hills at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 8:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship

2006-07-11 8:38 PM
in reply to: #479658

, Alabama
Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship

Congrats on a great race!  If you can get the funds up to go to Lausanne, there's nothing like going to a world championships!

Sharon

2006-07-11 10:04 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Awesome race!  You kicked my ! 

Congrats on the world's slot.  Find a way to take it at all costs.  If you have an opportunity like that, seize it!  You'll never regret going to Worlds.

Bummer we didn't get to meet either.  Perhaps next year at Nationals?   

2006-07-11 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Awesome race....sell blood....anything...but get your butt to worlds!!!

2006-07-12 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race and congratulations on getting the roll down spot! Sounds like you had a good time. And 2 beers the night before the race? Do you subscribe to Julia's nutrition plan?!
2006-07-13 8:55 AM

User image

Expert

I'm with Ryan... I just can't figure out how you can drink beer and then perform like you do the next day.  It must have something to do with the quality of your training - go figure

Sounds like you guys had a great time!!!

2006-07-13 6:36 PM

CONGRATS. Welcome to Team USA!
2006-07-16 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Amazing! Looks like youa re smart enough to figure out your weaknesses and dedicated enough to work on them and improve. Congrats! Good thinking getting a coach, too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship Rss Feed