Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-11 5:39 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
David I am jealous. I know Australia is beautiful. My friend misses her home dearly.
Suzy I also like the smartwool phd socks. They help a lot.
Does anyone have a good reference for gloves. I have a few UA and they don't keep my hands warm at all.

2013-12-12 2:43 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Linda--I use wool mitten and wool face mask. Works really well in these parts!

2013-12-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi All

It looks like it is time for new mentor groups to form.  I feel as if this one has pretty much run its course with so many people opting to no longer participate.

I won't be joining SWBKRUN for another season and I'm still contemplating whether I will use BT any more.  I would love to stay in touch with those of you who care to.  Some of you are my FB friends.  If anyone else wants to friend me, I am Suzy Shain.

Train on People!

2013-12-12 10:45 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Well, I suspected it was coming, but I'm still .   Many, many thanks for all the advice that you and everyone else have provided over that past couple of seasons.    I will catch you on FB.

Dan

2013-12-13 5:26 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Unfortunately Suzy's right, there's not enough interaction any more to have a MG but it's sad. I feel like I've got to know you all really well and really valued all the support and advice.
Most of the group no longer do tri's so I can see why they've drifted away but I'm still in touch with Kyla, Linda (VM) and Mike via Strava so maybe some of you would like to join us on there? Look me up, David Simpson, also on FB.
2013-12-13 7:51 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Hey all,
After my last 50k in September, I really needed a rest and a break from everything.  I've moved four times since April.  Things are settling down a little, but I'm still in quite a bit of flux.  I have done almost no swimming in the last two months and very minimal biking and running, but it's working.  I'm feeling the DESIRE to train again.  I too have appreciated all of they help you have all given me and I feel like I've make some really good friends here and I hope to keep up with you all on facebook.  If you want to find me, click HERE
I have some more big changes coming next year.  I'm planning to take early retirement from teaching, move to the Asheville area of North Carolina, and do my first HIM.  I'm going to need a mentor group for support, so if you all decide to join another one here on BT, let me know where to find you. 

Happy Holidays my friends.

Jayne

2013-12-14 6:12 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

New user
I'm sad to hear there won't be another SWMBKRUN mentor group, too! You guys really helped me get through my first triathlon. I appreciated your advice and you definitely helped with motivation. Chet may have talked me into another one in April, so I'll check back in and cross my fingers that you changed your mind and formed another one. This was my first time with the mentor group, so I don't know everyone as well, but I'd love to keep in touch, too. I'm also on FB (Jill Barnes.)

Jayne, congrats on your move to NC. My brother lives in Charlotte. Not sure how far Asheville is, but I know they looked there, too. Beautiful area!
2013-12-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Wow, this just makes me sad.  I know that I've been very negligent on posting.....fits and spurts has been about it this year, but I've gained so much from this group.

Birdy?  Are you out?

2013-12-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Maryland
I agree with Linda, it is sad. You are all amazing people. A rough year at our house so I did no triathlons...BUT I continue to train and will not stop. I plan to stay on BT. If you leave, don't forget me, I'm on facebook too, Linda Cronise. I hope all of you are enjoying life, training, and your families this time of year!
2013-12-15 3:55 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I'll still be around. Still be hating the new format. And still be looking for advice from all of you awesome athletes. Much like this year, the first part of next year will be spent running. I hope to settle on a HIM for late summer/early fall with a few shorter tri's sprinkled in.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and good luck, Suzy! See you on FB.

2013-12-16 12:30 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Expert
Noosa

I'd much prefer to stay around with this MG if there's enough of us willing to keep posting and giving support.

Let's keep the same name, stick around and push ahead into 2014!

I like this group and don't feel inclined to join a different one!

2013-12-16 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

David,   I agree and will keep participating if enough people want to carry on.

2013-12-16 8:00 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I'm back on the wagon on the way to IM mont tremblant starting in Jan. So I'll post more and be mire active for sure.
2013-12-18 2:00 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Expert
Noosa

Ok, 1 week till Christmas, are you all going to keep exercising or take a break?

We're heading down to Sydney for 10 days, my daughter's racing in the Sabot Dinghy nationals and we're doing a house-swap with a family in Manly Beach. Should be great, I'm going to swim with the ocean swim group there, they swim at 7am every day of the year and go by the name : The Bold and the Beautiful!
2013-12-18 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

I will be training on through the holidays.  I figure I had my break already.   I am currently planning on doing a bike time trial on the 23rd and a 5k run time trial on the 25th.   Sounds like you have a great holiday planned.

2013-12-18 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by copa2251

Ok, 1 week till Christmas, are you all going to keep exercising or take a break?

We're heading down to Sydney for 10 days, my daughter's racing in the Sabot Dinghy nationals and we're doing a house-swap with a family in Manly Beach. Should be great, I'm going to swim with the ocean swim group there, they swim at 7am every day of the year and go by the name : The Bold and the Beautiful!

Keep?!? I need to start again. February will be here before I know it!

Looks like you've been getting in some good rides lately, David.

2013-12-20 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

I'd much prefer to stay around with this MG if there's enough of us willing to keep posting and giving support.

Let's keep the same name, stick around and push ahead into 2014!

I like this group and don't feel inclined to join a different one!

I'm going to continue slacking through the holidays, but hoping to get some good trail running in while in Brevard, NC.  I'm living at my Dad's house until the end of the school year (he's in Florida).  It's an inexpensive solution to my temporary housing need, but it puts my in the middle of nowhere (literally), and it's making my training really difficult.  My whole routine has been changing over and over again this year.  I have different containers in my car for each sport so I can go straight from work to the gym, running, or doing yoga.  But it's all just a logistical/planning pain in the a$$.  I'm always forgetting some vital thing (shoes, towel, bra).  Yes, I'm whining, but I've missed whining to you all ;-)  I will be around more after the holidays and I hope we can keep the MG going and growing.

2013-12-20 9:47 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Noosa

Working this weekend but then off for the Christmas and New Year weeks.

I went for a run on Thursday and have had really stiff lower legs since with pain in my lateral knees, I think it's because I used some Brooks Pure Cadence shoes that I bought last year in the UK but never liked.

I've just ordered a pair of Saucony Cortana's (my current go-to shoe) from Amazon and including delivery from the US they are still half what I would pay over here! $100 from Amazon and $259 in Aus!!!

Running shoes and books are two things that are not worth buying locally, both are sold at hugely inflated prices to "protect" the local shops. What's really happening is everyone buys from overseas so the shops are going bust.

Rant over...

2013-12-21 4:00 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Just looked at the 2014 Mentor Group info; if we want to keep going we'll need one or two people to be mentors and put up a bio etc.

It looks like there's a few of us still interested so if you're reading this and want to be in for a new 2014 MG add your name below:

IN! 

David S

We can sort out who's the official mentor/s if enough of us seem interested.

If we do a 2014 group I think we should all commit to at least answering the Wednesday question and psoting our monthly totals to keep it rolling.

2013-12-21 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Just looked at the 2014 Mentor Group info; if we want to keep going we'll need one or two people to be mentors and put up a bio etc.

It looks like there's a few of us still interested so if you're reading this and want to be in for a new 2014 MG add your name below:

IN! 

David S

Dan C 

If we do a 2014 group I think we should all commit to at least answering the Wednesday question and psoting our monthly totals to keep it rolling.

2013-12-23 4:19 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Today was day 1 of my EN Outseason plan.   I did testing for 5 and 20 minute power on the trainer today (a first for me) - 228 Watts for the 5 minute and 200 Watts for the 20 minute. Those numbers are only 5 watts off of my best training numbers in mid-Sept (not a formal test, but they came out of a best case effort climbing a nearby mountain).

2013-12-26 2:05 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Well done Dan, indoor training is tough but I think it's very effective. Dino's given me that plan TWICE and I still haven't completed it but I've loosely followed it with good results.
I'm in Sydney for the next 10 days, got some little runs and ocean swims in so far, just cruising along
2013-12-26 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

IN! 

David S

I am in and will start checking in more also. I have been doing the run everyday challenge for December. I am now doing 33 mile in 10 days on Strava. If we keep the group i think we should also do weekly inspries I enjoyed the comments and they provided motivation when I had none.

2013-12-26 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by copa2251 Well done Dan, indoor training is tough but I think it's very effective. Dino's given me that plan TWICE and I still haven't completed it but I've loosely followed it with good results.
I'm in Sydney for the next 10 days, got some little runs and ocean swims in so far, just cruising along

You're right David - indoors is tough, but that is where I will be on the bike until at least April.   I got out and did my 5km run TT on Christmas day - 22:48 which is only 10 seconds slower than when I last tried at the end of July.   I'm hoping that the EN plan will help my running speed.   The strange thing about my running is that my 5km time is NOT a predictor for my longer distances.   I can run close to my 5km pace for up to a half marathon.

Anyway, have fun in Sydney.

Mike: good luck with that run challenge.  Glad to hear that you are in if we can gather enough momentum to get an MG rolling again.

2014-01-01 1:39 PM

User image

New user
Happy New Year Everyone!!! I have been slacking some (just a little), got 2 new tattoos in 2 weeks so have been unable to swim, and had to go without shoes for a few days. Back to running, weights and spinning. Have a half marathon in a few weeks and am not ready but will walk/run if need be. Signed up for the Tri-freaks Rainman indoor Tri in March, the Rugged Maniac in May, Lake Stevens in Aug and going for the Twin Cities Marathon in October. So, gotta get in gear. I want to continue with this group as well and will do my best to post/keep it going. Wishing everyone happy training, no injuries and lots of PR's for 2014!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44