BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-10-03 9:18 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: strength training
Originally posted by Lovey

For strength training I started body pump (for now).
Its a group workout using barbells, weight plates, and dumbbells. It's an hour and the last 15 minutes is usually core work like crunshes, planks, etc.

Anyone do bodypump?
How do you log it on BT?

I used to do body pump and had a great time. Not sure how you would log it. You can try looking in the short section of your kids and see if it's there. if not you may be able to add it as a custom support.

Beth

2013-10-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Garmin
I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 since 2010.
It fell apart, literally. Garmin said I have two choices. They can replace it with a refurbished unit for $80 OR gice me up to $80 towards another unit.
I live my F305 but it doesnt have heart rate based calories for indoors because it goes by distance. I can't use it for spi, noot camp or strength training.

I want to use it mainly for running and indoor workouts. If it is water resistant, I can swim with it but that's not a must. I swim primarily by total time or distance goal.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Lovey 2013-10-03 9:29 AM
2013-10-03 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Garmin
I have a Forerunner 410 that I like a lot. I'm not a techie so have yet to really figure out how to use all the fun stuff it came with. Got it for Christmas and have loved it ever since. Not waterproof...I don't think. Maybe it's worth looking into for you.
2013-10-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Trying new things
Originally posted by Hubbie

After spending three days last week being sick I've been back at it but also taking it easy. Yesterday I tried a new hill course, Court St hill is one of those that just seems to go on forever. While it's not the near vertical climb like Market St is was a challenge. But I'm happy to say that I crushed it!!!!! Kept my speed low and my turnover high and climbed. Now to work on greater speed getting up that hill.

Beth

There's something disturbingly fun about hills. I hate running them but for some reason love to ride them. The park I live near now has constant hills and some pretty big monsters and I love it in a really sick way. Good job Beth!
2013-10-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Running getting better
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Rnay225

I forgot you Aussies are backwards down there and got really confused for a second reading about an October tri. Although I think they're still racing in Miami and Texas...anyway, BIG news! I finally bit the bullet and registered for my first HIM today! Raleigh here I come!

It's out there now All I can say is the countdown has started, you have 241 days left to train. Now get out there and swim / bike / run your butt of. Seriously though congratulations, now get to work.

Thank you! The clock started ticking as soon as I hit confirm and I'm excited! I'll have to start keeping my logs up to date so I can ask for advice all the time. Now that it's out there I have some serious accountability to keep me honest.
2013-10-03 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 since 2010.
It fell apart, literally. Garmin said I have two choices. They can replace it with a refurbished unit for $80 OR gice me up to $80 towards another unit.
I live my F305 but it doesnt have heart rate based calories for indoors because it goes by distance. I can't use it for spi, noot camp or strength training.

I want to use it mainly for running and indoor workouts. If it is water resistant, I can swim with it but that's not a must. I swim primarily by total time or distance goal.

Any recommendations?

This one I can speak from experience on. I had the FR305 w/ HR Monitor and like you I loved it, but wanted something that was waterproof and an all around unit. I bought the 310XT refurbished for $199.00 w/ wireless ANT stick and HR Monitor Strap. I love it. It is waterproof, has four scene display option, which I love for running cause I can see HR, Pace per mile, distance traveled, and total time, all at once. The 305 would not allow this and tracked time per mile more by the overall time not up to the moment. I can tell you that I love the 310 XT, which is making me think about the 910, because if I gained that much from 305 to 310 XT, what will I gain to the 910. I can tell you that I also bought the wireless bike sensor, so I have cadence recorded on the watch as well. it make it really nce with the bike because you get everything, elevation, average speed, max speed, cadence, distance, and map of your ride, I love it.

2013-10-04 5:32 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Rennay, congrats on taking the plunge! You've been bitten by the tri bug real bad...Laughing. We'll be cheering you on!

Beth, nice efforts on the hills, I'm glad you're back into it and enjoying it again. Sounds like it's become a fun challenge again.

Lovey,I have no advice regarding the Garmin, but I do use a HRM for swim work. It's a Polar RS300X, it can read your HR in water and record the session. I have no problems with wearing the strap under a swimsuit or a tri top + bra, but I can see it really would slide if you were male and bare-chested in the water. I don't know how accurate the calorie count is but it does read higher if I've done an intense workout compared to a steady workout of the same duration with a lower heartrate.   

2013-10-06 6:32 PM

Subject: Podium
Got lucky and scored third place in my triathlon AG. Didn't get a medal, but here is what I did get:

Edited by RZ0 2013-10-06 6:35 PM

(IMAG0182.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMAG0182.jpg (961KB - 22 downloads)
2013-10-07 2:23 AM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Podium
Fantastic! And that's a lot more useful than a medal Laughing. Congratulations!
2013-10-07 8:18 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glassware insteady of Hardware. I like it and a nice bonus to have a beverage in it! Great Job and you didn't get luck, you earned it.
2013-10-07 8:42 AM

Thanks much. I won a bowling trophy when I was 15, but nothing before or since. So this feels really cool.

2013-10-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Veteran
Nice glass! And it comes with the added bonus of being more useful than a wall decoration too. And congrats on the third place win, I bet it feels great. Keep up the great work!

Beth
2013-10-20 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Checking In
Long run done. Pushed through 6.15 miles.
Sideline the last 2 days with back pain. Woke up feeling ok this morning but a queasy stomach. Back pain came back but at a tolerable level.

I have the Marine Corp 10K next Sunday and I think I am ready. I plan to run slow and steady. It's about finishing strong.
2013-10-20 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Checking In
Well done Lovey! You are more than ready for that race!
2013-10-20 4:36 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: Marathon!
Since you guys have been with me all summer I wanted you all to know that I finished my second full marathon this morning (er...afternoon)! It hasn't been a pretty road to get there but I got it done and had a great time! I managed a 5:41:41 which is slower than what I was hoping for but still a marathon finish so I'm HAPPY! Weather was perfect! Pretty cold at the start but warmed up nicely without ever getting too warm. Dry and sunny. Long story short, I literally felt GREAT until probably mile 18 or so which I was really excited about. At that point my leg that's been hurting got angry at me for asking so much but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle and nothing worse than when it got really bad about 6 weeks ago. I just backed off the pace (which up until then had been 12 min/mi or less) and it was fine. Nutrition was on point, never bonked or hit the wall and never got a headache or any of those other dehydration signs. I think the weather helped a lot with that. Around mile 21.5 I really started to get that "I don't wanna play anymore" feeling and had to dig pretty deep especially the last 5k. I was feeling good in general but was feeling the pain and that can mess with your head if you let it. At that point I knew I wasn't going to stop so there wasn't much to do but keep moving. I ran A LOT of the last 10k albeit slowly but the intervals were starting to hurt worse than a constant jog. It was so fun to finish. Still hasn't set in that I've joined the 26.2 times 2 club! The race actually lacked so much misery that I'm pretty sure I'll do another next year. When next year I don't know but there will probably be one tossed in somewhere. I'm so glad that I don't have to train for a marathon anymore right now!
2013-10-21 1:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Marathon!

Since you guys have been with me all summer I wanted you all to know that I finished my second full marathon this morning (er...afternoon)! It hasn't been a pretty road to get there but I got it done and had a great time! I managed a 5:41:41 which is slower than what I was hoping for but still a marathon finish so I'm HAPPY! Weather was perfect! Pretty cold at the start but warmed up nicely without ever getting too warm. Dry and sunny. Long story short, I literally felt GREAT until probably mile 18 or so which I was really excited about. At that point my leg that's been hurting got angry at me for asking so much but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle and nothing worse than when it got really bad about 6 weeks ago. I just backed off the pace (which up until then had been 12 min/mi or less) and it was fine. Nutrition was on point, never bonked or hit the wall and never got a headache or any of those other dehydration signs. I think the weather helped a lot with that. Around mile 21.5 I really started to get that "I don't wanna play anymore" feeling and had to dig pretty deep especially the last 5k. I was feeling good in general but was feeling the pain and that can mess with your head if you let it. At that point I knew I wasn't going to stop so there wasn't much to do but keep moving. I ran A LOT of the last 10k albeit slowly but the intervals were starting to hurt worse than a constant jog. It was so fun to finish. Still hasn't set in that I've joined the 26.2 times 2 club! The race actually lacked so much misery that I'm pretty sure I'll do another next year. When next year I don't know but there will probably be one tossed in somewhere. I'm so glad that I don't have to train for a marathon anymore right now!

Welcome to the 26.2x2 club!!!!! It's such a great feeling to have two full marathons under your belt. Have you considered Number 3 yet? But you have certainly earned a well deserved rest in the mean time.

So anyone want some comic relief at my expense?

So I get on my bike trainer for the first time this season and it was a total disaster!!!! As I'm hanging off my bike begging for mercy think about my demise. Here are the contributions: 1) Road is a check of a lot easier especially with a nice tail wind 2) Just got back from a weekend vacation in which my diet was anything but optimal 3) Was sick for an entire week to include my vacation 4) Been taking anti- inflammation meds that while work great they really mess with my heart 5) Going off three hours of sleep is not doing my endurance any favors. Add all these factors and it was a miserable 10 minutes. Yup, that's right, I the original Ironman of the group called it quits at all of ten minutes. Don't know if I should laugh or cry at this point but I'll probably laugh cuz we all know us Turtles are tough.

Well it's off to bed in hopes of a better training session when the sun gets up.

Beth

Edited by Hubbie 2013-10-21 1:56 AM

2013-10-21 9:11 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Marathon!

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!! I find it funny in Marathons how you tend to go from super pumped and feeling nothing, to aware of what you are doing with slight pain, to OMG I'm hurting and just want to stop running, to super pumped and feeling nothing as you finish. Or at least that's how I was
2013-10-21 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE:
Beth, don't feel bad I have climbed on and off the trainer in under 2 minutes before. Now that is truly sad.

2013-10-25 5:30 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Rennay, congratulations on the marathon finish! Sounds like it was a great race and it's a fantastic achievement. I'm planning on a marathon-one day- and I'm looking forward to it, whenever in the future it may be.

As for the present: I finished ny first sprint tri last weekend, it was heaps of fun  The swim was current-assisted  so the 750m passed by in about 9 minutes, but there were a few jellyfish about (I caught 2 with my arms). The bike was flat but a bit windy, by the time I'd been lapped by everyone and his dog I was absolutely convinced I need to put my mountain bike away in the shed and buy a shiny new road bike (I've been saving up for a while). The run was hard after the bike, but I managed to find a bit of rhythm after the first k an plodded on to the end.  I'm really keen for the next one now!

2013-10-26 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Rennay, congratulations on the marathon finish! Sounds like it was a great race and it's a fantastic achievement. I'm planning on a marathon-one day- and I'm looking forward to it, whenever in the future it may be.

As for the present: I finished ny first sprint tri last weekend, it was heaps of fun  The swim was current-assisted  so the 750m passed by in about 9 minutes, but there were a few jellyfish about (I caught 2 with my arms). The bike was flat but a bit windy, by the time I'd been lapped by everyone and his dog I was absolutely convinced I need to put my mountain bike away in the shed and buy a shiny new road bike (I've been saving up for a while). The run was hard after the bike, but I managed to find a bit of rhythm after the first k an plodded on to the end.  I'm really keen for the next one now!

Congrats on the tri finish!!! Don't worry about your mountain bike, as long as you had a great time and finished with a smile on your face it was a successful race. I remember my first tri I dropped my chain four times over a sprint course so I fully understand being frustrated about being passed by everyone. And those swim times are impressive, and you got hit with jellyfish, not once but twice! Way to hang in here and finish strong.

Beth

2013-10-26 8:46 PM

User image

Well, I am back. I have been taking it easy the last few months. I have packed on about ten pounds and just stay busy with life. I am ready to get back into it. I am actually eyeballing a 70.3 race near me that was just announced the other day. It is this particular race's debut. I am a bit apprehensive about such a big race but its not til July. I am very tempted to go ahead and register to motivate myself.

2013-10-27 5:29 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Go for it Corbet! Good to hear you're still around and getting back into it. 

2013-10-28 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Race Report
Finished my race strong, Marine Corp 10K, yesterday. My running partner and I kept each other going at a faster pace than I have gone since starting over this year. WooHoo!

Race report - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2013-10-28 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Race Report

Finished my race strong, Marine Corp 10K, yesterday. My running partner and I kept each other going at a faster pace than I have gone since starting over this year. WooHoo!

Race report - http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Great job and way to push past the tough times Your hard work was rewarded
2013-10-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Well, I am back. I have been taking it easy the last few months. I have packed on about ten pounds and just stay busy with life. I am ready to get back into it. I am actually eyeballing a 70.3 race near me that was just announced the other day. It is this particular race's debut. I am a bit apprehensive about such a big race but its not til July. I am very tempted to go ahead and register to motivate myself.

Welcome back Corbet,

Glad to hear that you want to get back at it, and know that you have work to do. 70.3 is more than doable in the time frame you have but is going to require you to be more consistant in your training. It is not a sprint that you can show up to after a couple weeks of working out and finish with little pain. I'm not saying you can't do it with little to no training becuase you can. I'm saying the day will be long, you will be miserable at times, and your body will pay for it weeks after you cross the finish line. I know you are more than capable of doing it, but will say that your mind needs to be in a different place than it was preparing for your first sprint if you want to enjoy it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45