BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-03 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN

GROUP FOCUS: Training for those that are not morning people.  If the thought of getting up at 4:30 am on a daily basis makes you cringe, this group is for you.  Distances are mostly local sprints, building to an OLY or HIM in the fall.  First timers welcome, it doesn't matter if it's your first tri ever or you're first time at a new distance.   

NAME: username: cwpeters - first name: Chris

STORY: This is my 4th year of triathlon.  I started because of an injury.  I was an overweight (obese) runner and injured my knee, started swimming and biking for rehab, lost weight and when I was healed, signed up for my first tri.  I was hooked immediately!  I love the challenge that triathlon presents in both training and racing and I am always learning new things to make myself better, fitter, and faster.   

FAMILY STATUS: I will be married for 15 years this summer.  My wife and I are both teachers and I am also an Athletic Trainer at a high school.  We have 2 boys, 11 and 8.  The whole family is active and we try to make races a family event.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished New Orleans 70.3 and will be switching to a summer plan focused on several local sprint distances tris before starting a 20 week HIM plan for REV3 Venice in November.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far this year I have had 2 major PR's.  I went under 3 hours in an OLY and took 20+ minutes off of my HIM PR.  Also ran a 2:10 half marathon prior to the HIM.  

2013 RACES:  All of my summer races will be repeat events except for the REV3 HIM.  Longboat Key Sprint, Englewood Sprint, Top Gun Sprint, Captiva Sprint and Longboat Key OLY are all on the schedule right now.  If the opportunity presents itself, there might even be a few 5Ks and 1 or 2 relays as well. (I love racing!)

WEIGHTLOSS: Always a part of my plan.  I started this adventure at over 300 pounds.  I have gotten down to as little as 225 and unfortunately am back in the 255-260 range.  This summer I will be focusing on getting down to the 235-240 range.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I feel that my experience of progressing from a beginner to my first race as well as my experiences in progressing from sprint to OLY to HIM have given me a tremendous amount of knowledge I can share.  I also understand training around family, job and social commitments.  I typically train after work, in the evening/at night and alone, which leaves me with some unique insights and strategies.  

Edited by cwpeters 2013-05-29 11:08 PM

2013-05-08 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4725922

User image

Hartstown
Subject: RE: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - OPEN

My name is Todd Smith and would like to be part of this group.......This is my first season in triathlon.  I have also weight loss transformation.  Started at 255 and now staying at 210 pretty consistent.  Would like to get under 200 for the summer races.  I have done one indoor Mini Sprint and a few Charity rides and Group runs.  Love the encouragement and motivation of the competition.  Motivation is the Drive that comes from Friends and family (internet or not).

I am 43 years young and married for 23 years this spring.  

My Biggest Triathlon Fear - The Swim, I know I can swim the distance of the shorter races, but the group of swimmers.  The potential of panic and getting run over.........My plan - start last or outside.

My Hobbies - Besides triathlon training - Church, youth ministry, missions (local and overseas), Hunting and fishing.........But mostly hanging out with my wife and kids.

2013-05-08 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Welcome aboard Todd, you are officially my first mentor group member!  I hope this group will provide you with any advise and all the encouragement you need.

I know how intimidating that first open water swim (OWS) can be.  I still remember stepping to the water's edge and looking out at that first buoy and thinking, "Why am I doing this?"  I knew I could swim the distance, I just didn't know if I could handle the melee of the first 50 yards.  I just started to the outside and waited just a few seconds after the horn blew to hit the water.  In the end, the 10 seconds at the start and the extra 10-15 yards I swam were well worth the peace of mind as I made it to that first turn.  Four years later, I now line up right in the middle and look forward to the full contact swim.  

2013-05-09 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4734268

User image

Hartstown

My first season goals

Mini Sprint - done !!  - Middle of the pack overall (25 of 51), 2nd fastest bike overall

Sprint - June 1st

5k - July 5th

Olympic Tri - (August or September) - depends on how much swimming I get done 

1/2 Marathon - October

I wish I could have all the races picked out, but for the first season I can't justify all the expensive races and will have to stick to local smaller events.  I would like to race a Bigger race next year simply for the experience.

God Bless

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

2013-05-10 1:08 PM

Chris,

It seems like I should join your group.  I read your description...train after work, alone and mostly at night.  That sounds like me in a nutshell.  Will post my bio a bit later today.  Ok?

Brian

2013-05-10 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4735945

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Toddpa - 2013-05-09 10:59 PM

My first season goals

Mini Sprint - done !! Nice, it's always a good feeling to get that first one under your belt.  - Middle of the pack overall (25 of 51), 2nd fastest bike overall AWESOME!!!

Sprint - June 1st

5k - July 5th

Olympic Tri - (August or September) - depends on how much swimming I get done 

1/2 Marathon - October

I wish I could have all the races picked out, but for the first season I can't justify all the expensive races and will have to stick to local smaller events.  I would like to race a Bigger race next year simply for the experience.

God Bless

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

If the race was listed on the BT Races page make sure to write up a race report.  It serves several purposes, it may help others when deciding whether or not to sign up for a particular race, it will help you to remember what you liked or didn't, what worked, what you can do differently or what you can work on and once you get several race reports entered, you can generate charts to track your progress and improvements.

2013-05-10 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Brian,

Welcome, right now we're small but hopefully we'll grow.  Looking forward to reading your bio.

2013-05-11 11:00 PM

Name: Brian

Story: This is my 4th season of tri.  It all started some 5 Decembers ago when I was watching NBC's Kona coverage.  I've always thought I could do a tri, but sitting on my couch and not having been in a pool for many many years or even owning a bike of any kind, it came across as your standard "all hat, not cattle" kind of statement.  Then towards the end of the race, an 80 year old nun was crossing the finish line, and right then and there said, if she can do it, I can to.  So the next morning, I started jogging and that's how it all started.

Family status: married, one daughter in 1st grade.

Current training: yes, I am training.  Have a HIM in mid-July that I'm focused on.  Use BT logs.

2013 races: 1 HIM in mid-july.  maybe another HIM in early September.

Reason why this group could make sense for me: Last night (ie. Friday), I ran 10 miles starting at 9pm-ish.  This evening, indoor ride for 90 minutes starting at 9:30pm-ish.  Sunday night...probably another solo run under the (hopefully) calm night skies of the NY metro area.

2013-05-12 9:22 PM

Hi Chris

I would love to be a part of your group. I am training for my first sprint triathlon this summer. Here is my profile:

Name: username: agupta; first name: Akshat

Story: I am 28 years old; moved to the US for grad school from India and have been living here for the last 6 years. This is going to be my first triathlon, so I am excited about the challenge and learnings along the way. I thought about doing a triathlon because I wanted to generally improve my cardio capacity. 

Family status: I am not married but have an active social life. Although, I will still have enough time to train

Current training: I am training on my own based on reading blogs and setting goals for myself. I have been doing crossfit for about a year and will continue with it through the summer. I am also taking swimming lessons to improve my technique. 

This year's race: None yet

2013 goals: Sprint triathlon in August

Weight loss: I am about 160 lbs and 5' 8 1/2" tall. I do want to lose 5-10 lbs of fat but I do want to gain more muscle too, so I guess my weight would not go down drastically

What will make me a good mentee: I am very excited to learn from everybody here

2013-05-13 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Welcome Brian and Akshat!  Our little group is growing slowly.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Unlike the general forums, you will not get attacked for asking something that has been asked plenty of times before.  We were all new at some point and the only way to learn is to ask.  

As for training, the Training Log is a great tool.  If you're not currently using it, I would highly suggest that you start.  You can enter workouts manually if you do not have a Garmin or other recording device, or if you do have one, it will sync all your data with just a few clicks.  The logs are also great for tracking equipment usage and knowing when to start looking for replacement items.  If you are using a BT training plan, you can import it directly into your training log that way you can see what your schedule is going to be and rearrange workouts as needed.  You can also set up email reminders so that you always know what you're doing the next day.

Normally I would say to check out my training log to see what they look like, however, since NOLA 70.3, I've been sick and not really doing much.  I've got a few workouts in, but mostly I've been trying to get healthy and coach my boy's baseball team.  I'm finally shaking the cold I had and the baseball season is winding down so no more excuses.

2013-05-13 4:38 PM

Hi Chris,

When I read the title "the Night Owls" - that pretty much sums up me and when I usually train. If you still have room in your group for one more, I would love to join. Right now, I am working, but later this evening I will post my biography

AJ

2013-05-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4740588

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
KittyHawk - 2013-05-13 5:38 PM

Hi Chris,

When I read the title "the Night Owls" - that pretty much sums up me and when I usually train. If you still have room in your group for one more, I would love to join. Right now, I am working, but later this evening I will post my biography

AJ

There's only 4 of us right now, so please join us.  I just got home from baseball so I completely understand late nights and odd hours.  Post your bio whenever you get the chance, I'll be looking out for it.  As for tonight, I think I'll go for a run.  

2013-05-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4740952

Hi, here is my bio

Name: username = KittyHawk; first name = AJ

Story: Right now, I am currently in school studying Network Engineering and Security. I am off for the summer. In the past, before going to college, I was cyclist. I used to do road races. Because of this, I have a huge aerobic system (just waiting to be used again?). The reason I only did cycling and not running, is because of the fact I have RSD in my feet. So when I start running now, it is going to be really slow – and running will not be my strongest point. When I was a cyclist, I would training an average of 60kms+ daily and on weekends double the distance. During my time at my first college, I stopped cycling and sadly gained a little too much weight. Mission now, is to absolve it!

Family Status: Currently I live with my boyfriend and our two pythons. Going into this endeavour, I have to support of my brother and my wonderful boyfriend.

Current Training: Hopefully at the end of the summer, I would like to do a sprint or Oly. It all depends on how training goes, and how my feet are doing.

Weight loss: I am 5'4 3/4” (approx. 167cm) in height. All the weight I gained over the past 5 years I would like to eventually lose – which is approximately 50-60lbs. In the process of doing this, I would like to increase my anaerobic system and develop more muscles and tone the ones I have.

Hobbies: math, biology, chess, playing with my pythons, photography, and snowboarding with my brother

Edited by KittyHawk 2013-05-14 11:24 PM
2013-05-15 9:50 PM

User image

Hartstown
OK, So hating morning workouts is one thing, but that's when the races are!!!  I swim in the morning (hate it) but have no choice, only time lap swimming is open.  Anyway, how do you transition from evening workouts to prepping for morning races???  I am going to try to get a few morning workouts in the next week or so.   I have my first race June 1st.  
2013-05-17 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, life has gotten a little crazy...

Welcome AJ, our little group keeps growing.

Todd, I've always worried about that but honestly, its never been a problem.  Most of the time its a nice change.  I usually run and bike in the hottest parts of the day, so racing in the AM is actually easier.  I also tend to be a restless sleeper the night before a race, so getting up and going isn't an issue.  Race day is the ONLY time I turn into a morning person.  I'll be at a race well before transition opens because I like to take my time setting up and going through my checklists.

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things as the school year winds down.  

2013-05-18 9:01 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Hartstown
Quick question: What's with the Swim Caps........Are they something that everyone has to where? I have my first Tri next week and have never used a Cap. Why do people use them? What benefits does it produce?

Thanks,
Todd

2013-05-21 9:33 PM
in reply to: Toddpa

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Sorry for the delay in responding but I am not the most tech savvy guy, I've been trying to access the site from my old bookmark and kept getting the site is down message. That problem is now resolved.

As for the swim caps, there are several reasons for them.

1. Safety, the brightly colored cap helps the safety personnel spot a swimmer much easier.
2. ID, not an individual ID but as a group. Typically each wave will have a different color cap, this allows the RD (race director) to know if the right people are at the start line.
3. Pacing/place, when you're in the water, you will know how you are doing based on the caps you see around you. If you only see the same color caps, you are holding your own. If you start to see caps from the wave before you, you know you have made up the time difference between waves and you're moving pretty well. However if you start seeing the caps from the wave behind you, you've been caught and might be moving a little slow.
2013-05-29 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
It's 11:59 pm, where are my other night owls? Just finished a 1750 yard swim, what did you do tonight?
2013-05-29 11:57 PM

2000 yards in the pool tonight. my pool closed at 9:10pm, so not as late, but similar workout. It was decent. My form dropped off toward the end, but I was getting tired. I need more pool time.

How was your swim?
2013-05-30 10:23 PM

User image

Hartstown
Subject: RE: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN
Racing this weekend, getting packed for my FIRST outdoor race...........Did my first lake swim tried out my new wetsuit.......Water Quality is a killer......I can't see that bottom, or even my hands moving through the water. Oh well......slow down and finish strong.

Biked a sample bike distance, and run distance, so I think I'm pretty ready. Always challenging myself to be better and stronger.

Goal - Swim - 500M - 12-14 minutes
Bike - 10 Miles - 31 minutes
Run - 5K - 27 minutes

Total time Goal - 1hr 15min
2013-05-31 6:13 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

2000 yards in the pool tonight. my pool closed at 9:10pm, so not as late, but similar workout. It was decent. My form dropped off toward the end, but I was getting tired. I need more pool time.

How was your swim?

I am fortunate, I have a pool at home that I have set up with a swim tether. I swam while my wife sat in the hot tub.

2013-05-31 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by Toddpa

Racing this weekend, getting packed for my FIRST outdoor race...........Did my first lake swim tried out my new wetsuit.......Water Quality is a killer......I can't see that bottom, or even my hands moving through the water. Oh well......slow down and finish strong.

Biked a sample bike distance, and run distance, so I think I'm pretty ready. Always challenging myself to be better and stronger.

Goal - Swim - 500M - 12-14 minutes
Bike - 10 Miles - 31 minutes
Run - 5K - 27 minutes

Total time Goal - 1hr 15min

Good luck Todd! Trust your training, run the race mentally before you step to the line, and remember to have fun. We'll be looking for the race report.
2013-06-02 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Sunday night check in, how did your week go? Hope everyone got in some S/B/R and is doing well. Todd, how was the race? I had to break my normal routine and rode early Saturday with my LBS (Local Bike Store) group ride and then ran this afternoon so I could be washed up and ready to cheer on my LSU Tigers in the NCAA Regional. GEAUX TIGERS!!!
2013-06-02 11:54 PM

Hey all.

Chris - you training with a tether and your wife relaxing in a hot tub...sounds like she has the better end of the deal! in all seriousness, seems like you have a nice set-up at home.

As for me, did a long bike ride on Saturday morning. Got up when it still dark and left home just after the sun came up. Rode for 3 hours, mostly focused on hills. Saw a lot of wild turkeys. The ride felt pretty good, though my legs were pretty beat toward the end.

Then on Sunday, did an indoor brick. 24 miles indoor biking and 4 miles on the treadmill. Started around 9pm. Was hoping to run 6.2 for an Olympic distance brick, but it was really hot and humid in my basement, so decided to stop after 4 miles. Probably could have done the 2.2 extra miles, but didn't want to push it too early in the week. Overall, the workout was ok. I'd prefer to run outside, but it was raining with scattered thunder and lightning, so I had to stay inside.

6 weeks until my first race of the season, so it's becoming crunch time.

That's about it from here.

Hope all are well.

2013-06-03 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hi all, I'd like to join this group for the summer!

Name: username = Donto; first name = Don

Story: Small biz owner with a partner, lots of work hours and have always hated anything having to do with the AM! 

Family Status: Married 16 years to a wonderful woman who puts up with me for some reason! Wife is a runner and have 2 kids, 11yo (girl) and 13yo (son) who are swimmers.

Current Training: Just finished up a haphazard of winter/spring training for yesterdays (6/02) Sprint tri.  Next race focus is a local sprint tri in late Sept, Myrtle Beach HM in mid Oct with my wife for our Anniversary, and another local HM early Dec.  Need to work on a training plan for the next several months. Will likely be doing a tri in NY while on family vacation but its just a C-race. Looking at either doing a family team Oly (boy swims, I bike & wife runs) or I'll do the sprint and have family do a team sprint (girl swims, wife bikes/runs and boy bikes/runs).

Weight loss: NA, currently 6 lbs over ideal race weight though.

Hobbies: Living!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN Rss Feed  

of 2