BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-03 6:52 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - OPEN
Brian, my wife certainly has the better end of the deal, but I will say she earns her relaxation time after running the circus we call our family. Two boys and a husband is enough to drive most people crazy. And speaking of crazy, your indoor BRICK sounds insane! I am so glad I live down south. Even when I have to use the trainer, I set it up on the lanai so I can at least get some fresh air.

Don, welcome aboard. Things are a little slow right now, but hopefully we will pick it up a little now that the site update and for me, the end of the school year, are behind us. That's awesome that you can run with your wife and race with your kids. My boys both swim but my wife is anything but a runner. She was a sprinter in high school and college and still has that, "anything longer than a 400 is too far" mentality. I keep trying to convert her though.

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things after New Orleans. I exceeded my planned minutes last week and looking at my May totals versus my June totals, I've already biked more and am only 4 miles short on the run. Yes, for those looking at the date, I've done almost as much in 3 days as I did the entire previous month.

Got to get going, this is exam week at my school and I've got to get some grades entered and check over my exam.

2013-06-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hartstown
Subject: RE: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN
Race went Good!! I really enjoyed it. I posted a race report so I'm not going to write it all out here.
I did make my goal !!!

My goal was 1:15 minutes

Result was 1:15.00 minutes - pretty good guess!!

Swim - 11:45 - 88th out of 131
Bike - 30:54 - 30th out of 131
Run - 27:57 - 80th out of 131

overall 70th place out of 131
Age grout 40 - 44 - 10th out of 12

My only real problem was the swim. Everything was good up until the turn. We had to go around a big pontoon boat and things really bunched up and I had caught up to alot of people, and ended up loosing my rhythm and concentration, so I ended up side stroke for the last 150 meters....hated it, but didn't want to get my heart rate too crazy heading out of the water and onto my best event, so I sacrificed a minute or so in the water.

Great time,
God Bless,
Todd Smith

Edited by Toddpa 2013-06-03 9:24 PM
2013-06-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

Subject: RE: The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - OPEN
Last night, I did a 10 mile run under the stars. The temperature was in the mid-60s and low humidity, so that was a nice change from this past weekend and last week when the heat and humidity was cranked up. Saw a skunk, but thankfully he didn't feel threatened. He was probably wondering why the heck is this guy running at this time of the night. In any case, potential danger averted.

The run felt pretty good. I didn't have my watch with me - I've recently been listening to my body more and running on feel rather than by time, but I think I was averaging approx. 8:45 minute miles. I probably could go faster and farther, but overall it was a good run.

Hope everyone is well.

2013-06-05 2:31 PM

New user

I would love to join this group, I live in Orlando Florida, and usually train at night!

Name: username: pbeckman

Story: I am 41 years old, 2 kids (10 and 8) and wife of 14 years. I have never raced in a triathlon but have done several half marathons and one full marathon. I like to say, I am upgrading the magnets on my car (13.1, 26.2, and shooting for 70.3 this year)

Current training: Strength train at lunch, swim, bike, or run at night. We just moved so my training sessions have not been as regular as they should be but I officially started my training this past Monday. My training will change to a morning session, strength training ar lunch, and an afternoon session after work.

This year's race: Disney 26.2, Swamphouse 13.1

2013 goals: Ironman 70.3 Miami, practice races in preparation for IM70.3

Current condition: I am currently 6'00' weighing 197. I have strength trained for over 20 years but have a lot to learn about the sport.

My run is good, I am not fast but I complete, My bike is pretty good, but my swim is more like a drowning Bulldog (if you know anything about Bulldogs, they can't swim) :-)

I love to learn and know that I can do it, I just need some advice on where to look, how to learn, and how I can fill in the gaps.
2013-06-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: pbeckman

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I'm hoping for a late evening atmospheric run home from the office tonight, hopefully isn't raining too hard at the time!  Legs feel ready after this past weekend sprint race. Have my new K-Swiss running shoes ready to break in too.

2013-06-05 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Alright, starting to get a little action on the forum!

Todd - nice race, if you can call your finish time to the minute your training must be going well. Now that you've had a few days to think about it, what can you take away from the race? Something you were surprised by, something you did well, not so well, saw others doing and wondered why? Every race is a chance to learn.

Brian - I wish I could go "unplugged" but I'm too attached to my toys. I've tried it in the past and it never feels right. I know that feeling when you startle a wild animal and they just seem confused to see a person at night. I've never come across a skunk but have seen plenty of armadillos, opossums, raccoons, and snakes and even a coyote and a fox. That's one of the joys of running at night.

Don - How was the race? Did you write up a race report? It may not seem like that big of a deal, but they do come in handy. Others can view them to help with deciding on a particular race and after you have several entered you can see where your strengths and weaknesses are as well as how you're improving.

pbeckman - welcome! I think you'll find the jump from running to triathlon fun and rewarding. The biggest obstacle is the swim. Someone once explained it like this, "If you can't run, you walk. If you can't bike, you fall over. But if you can't swim, well... you have to be able to swim." It's not always the easiest leg to train for, but it is essential, and once you get the basics figured out, you will improve pretty quickly.

I'm sitting here watching it rain trying to decide between going for a swim or a run, either way I'm getting wet. I feel bad about not running on National Running Day, so I'll probably make it a run/swim BRICK. It wouldn't be the first time I ran in a Tropical Storm.

Good night, Night Owls

Chris

2013-06-05 6:54 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by cwpeters Alright, starting to get a little action on the forum!  Don - How was the race? Did you write up a race report? It may not seem like that big of a deal, but they do come in handy. Others can view them to help with deciding on a particular race and after you have several entered you can see where your strengths and weaknesses are as well as how you're improving.

Hey Chris,

Oh yeah the RR is up.  I've been doing this race since 2004 only missing 2009 due to an early sellout.  I PR'd the swim and bike legs this year to help me PR the race as a whole with a 1:21:49. 

Swim distance at this race is really reliable as they measured it out by rope and a few years ago they placed post in the water to permanently mark the corners, so I feel great about the Swim PR.  Kicker is that I only have ~7000 yards of swim training this year, 5300 last month, must be doing something right!!!

Bike PR is due to all the trainer work over the years.  Still didn't have enough consistent bike training though, wanted >23.5 avg and came close with 23.3, but...

The run is where I had issues, bike effort a bit too hard for the run fitness.  I lagged in the run because if I went faster than 8:05 my left calf would start spasming on me and I'd have to slow down to let it settle down.  Had to stopp at ~ 0.3 into the run to stretch it. Hopefully next year I'll be coming off a good run season which I didn't have this year to get that sub 1:20 race.

Oh, I also made my own disk cover the day before the race, some pix are on my blog (Saturday).  Worked great!

2013-06-06 7:53 AM

New user

Ok, couple of questions to get this thing started...

Swim:
1. What is the best way to learn to breath? SItes, links, books, videos etc... I know I need to get a coach but I have only lived here for 2 years and really do not have any good contacts. I always train by myself and have not found any local clubs yet.

Gear:
1. what are the must haves? Things that you use everyday and things that are must haves during a race? Remember I am coming from a running background do it is pretty simple when it comes to the gear.

Training plan:
1. I have seen a ton of training programs out there, do you recommend any? My goal is IM70.3 Oct 27th.

Bike:
1. is a bike fit really worth it? (as you can see, I am trying to keep my budget as low as possible)
2. do you have aero bars?

That should do for today's questions! Thanks for all the help so far,

Paul
2013-06-06 2:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by pbeckman Ok, couple of questions to get this thing started...

Swim: 1. What is the best way to learn to breath? SItes, links, books, videos etc... I know I need to get a coach but I have only lived here for 2 years and really do not have any good contacts. I always train by myself and have not found any local clubs yet.

I was struggling with the swim for years then I saw this BT video and the balance part I had my "ah ha" moment. 

Regarding a coach, Orlando is pretty sprawled out, not sure where you are, but I know that the I-drive YMCA Aquatic Center has a swim team & masters with some good coaches that may be able to help you out, they use to have a tri club flyers out front (my kids are on the Cocoa Y swim team and we're out that way often). Further East is the Blanchard Park Y, there use to be an active Tri-club out of there.

Oh, and when you're ready I'll come over and do Lucky's Lake Swim with you, it's been on my tri bucket list for awhile now!  My son wants to do it too.

Gear: 1. what are the must haves? Things that you use everyday and things that are must haves during a race? Remember I am coming from a running background do it is pretty simple when it comes to the gear.

I mostly train and race in tri-suits and wear Desoto & Zoots.  I picked up a pair of Desoto Tri-bibs for trainer work.  You can keep it simple with just Tri-shorts and a tech /no shirt if you want.  I never pay full price for wearables.  Desoto has a mailing list and periodically sends out sale info/closeouts.

Training plan: 1. I have seen a ton of training programs out there, do you recommend any? My goal is IM70.3 Oct 27th.

Short of having a coach to give you your best plan, you can just go with the free 20 week BT plan import it into you training log to follow and adjust as necessary.

Oh, and I recommend to also log your training here on BT as you'll likely have more questions here and in the Tri talk forums.  Training history helps those with more knowledge to provide you with better feedback.

Bike: 1. is a bike fit really worth it? (as you can see, I am trying to keep my budget as low as possible)

2. do you have aero bars? That should do for today's questions! Thanks for all the help so far, Paul

1) Yes a bike fit is very worth it.  You can really impact power output/efficiency with the wrong fit.

2) I have a tri-bike so yes I have AB.  I previously had a cheap entry level RB and I put AB on it, helpful for aero but was pretty twitch on the front-end but got use to it.  Here's an interesting article regarding the aero benefits of a RB on down to a TB.

What do you have for a bike now?  I see that last year you posted on BT about used bikes for sale...

2013-06-07 7:36 AM

New user

Thanks for the links, the BT swim video link does not work, do you mind sending it again, or what to search for.

I am actually located north of Orlando in Oviedo. we do have a local Aquatic center that has a masters class three days a week. I was going to call today to get more information.

I bought a new Trek 2.1 RB. It's nothing fancy but it will get the job done. I was just thinking about putting some clip on Aero bars on it for longer rides.

I did start putting in my training sessions (well at least one day) Yesterdays storm and my son's birthday got in the way of training yesterday, but I just counted it as my rest day.

Also let me know what races you are doing locally and I may try to come over and use them as practice races.

Thanks for the help so far.
2013-06-07 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by pbeckman Thanks for the links, the BT swim video link does not work, do you mind sending it again, or what to search for. I am actually located north of Orlando in Oviedo. we do have a local Aquatic center that has a masters class three days a week. I was going to call today to get more information. I bought a new Trek 2.1 RB. It's nothing fancy but it will get the job done. I was just thinking about putting some clip on Aero bars on it for longer rides. I did start putting in my training sessions (well at least one day) Yesterdays storm and my son's birthday got in the way of training yesterday, but I just counted it as my rest day. Also let me know what races you are doing locally and I may try to come over and use them as practice races. Thanks for the help so far.

Here's the full swim video link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2244

Check out these AB, a friend of mine has a RB and he loves these as they flip up out of the way.

I don't do a lot of central FL races, usually just the ones over here on the East Coast.  The Battle of the Bridges is a nice race, Sprint & Oly, and a great course. Bike is ~2.3mi longer than the standard 24.85 Oly.

BTW, you interested in some cheap 40mm wheels?  Craigslist in Orlando has Felt 40mm TTR3 for $150, been on there for some time now.  I was going to buy & flip them last month but decided not to.  I have a set on my TB.  Slap on some GP4000's with latex tubes and its a decent combo for getting some aero & rolling resistance that will add up for time savings over 56 miles.

2013-06-07 1:03 PM

New user

AB ordered, be here tomorrow, I love Amazon Prime!
i would love the wheels, but I think my better investment is in swim lessons! I don't think a few minutes will help if they are pulling me out of the water! (totally making fun of myself)

Thanks for the link, I will be swimming tonight so I will try to put some ideas to work,

The battle of the bridges looks interesting... This would be one month before the IM70.3 so it would be good practice. I may want to do something a little sooner...

Swim and run tomorrow and bike Sunday! Ready for the weekend!
2013-06-09 10:58 PM

Hey all. Lived up to the group's name tonight. Ran 7 miles this evening, started just before 9pm. I was hoping to go 10-13 miles, but I had to take a bio break - it became 'urgent' around mile 7. After I stopped by home for the aforementioned bio break, I guess I lost some motivation and decided that 7 miles was a decent workout. My legs felt really good tonite and probably could have easily ran 10-13 miles...I guess I have to be more careful in terms of liquids at dinner on nights that I will run after dinner. Oh well, lesson learned.

Bikes 56 miles yesterday, that felt pretty good.

I think I'm ahead of where I was last year at this time, but have some work/vacation travel coming up over the next few weeks, so that might throw a monkey wrench into my training, but hopefully I can squeeze in some long-ish workouts anyway. We'll see.

Hope everybody had a good weekend.

2013-06-11 11:33 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK back to work, I took most of last week off following the race now I need to get back into it.  Ran 3.5 last night, pure bliss!  Ran 1.5 on trails and walked another 1 with the dog at a local park and ugh it sucked! Surprised.  Hopefully I can get home in time to do some riding on the trainer tonight.  Have a flat front to fix, take the disk cover off of the rear, set it up for trainer wheel and rearrange the garage some to give me some space.

2013-06-12 10:10 PM

User image

Hartstown
Haven't been around for a few day and wanted to give my Race Results......

June 1st - Edinboro Sprint Triathlon - Edinboro, PA

Swim - first open water swim in a group
11:12 - .25 mile - 80/135 - overall
T1 - 3:43 - hate sand
30:46 - 10 miles - 30/135 - overall
T2 - 1:22
27:54 - 5k - 88/138 - overall

Goal was 1hr 15min
Result - 1hr 15:00 min

The swim was the worse - the first half was good, pace was good, but at the turn around everything bunched up really bad and couldn't get back in any rhythm. Need to work on "head up" swimming for situations like that. Felt like I was just treading water. Next time I won't be so timid, I actually swam pretty good the first half, even starting at the back of the pack.

God Bless each of you
Todd Smith
2013-06-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: Toddpa

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Happy Father's Day to the dads in the group. Just got back from lunch with my boys and my dad, so thankful for those moments.

As for me, I had one of those "life gets in the way" situations last week. Monday was the last day for teachers, so I thought I would be getting started on my summer workout/diet plan by about 12 pm and be a full week into things by now, however that wasn't the case. I was asked to be the 2nd chaperon on a college visits/camps trip with 8 of my high school football players. It was a 4 day trip covering 1800+ miles, 7 tours, 6 universities, 4 states, 2 camps and if I went, I could bring 1 of my sons. So... Monday was spent packing and we were on the road at 5 am Tuesday. Needless to say, not a lot of time for training and even less time to get online. My phone was used for GPS all day so it was pretty dead by the time we stopped. It was a great trip and the time with my oldest will far outweigh the training that I missed in the long run.

I think that is something we should all keep in perspective. Training is important and being prepared for a race is necessary, but don't miss out on opportunities to spend time with those you love just to stay on schedule.

Chris

2013-06-17 11:31 AM

Hey guys. Hope Father's Day was good for everyone.

I had an interesting training week last week. Sunday and Monday were normal. Tuesday ended-up being a rest day because I was getting ready to head to a friend's wedding in England. Wednesday was travel day, so unless running through the airport counts, it was a down day. I arrived in England on Thursday morning and felt pretty good all things considered. So, as soon as I got checked into the hotel, I went to the gym next door. Biked for 30 mins, ran on the treadmill for 30 mins and then did 20 mins of strength training. It all felt pretty good, though the end of the run was challenging. I think I was probably a bit under fueled and dehydrated from the travelling - I was planning to bring some clif shots or honey stinger waffles with me, but forgot. Oh well, lesson learned for next time. Slept really well that night.

On Saturday morning 6am England time (which is 1am East Coast time, so I don't think I 'violated' the Night Owl mantra of the group, right?), I went for a 7 mile run. The hotel is located in the countryside outside a small town in Yorkshire - it's a very beautiful area. It was sunny and in the 50s, so needless to say, it was perfect running weather. There is a town about 3ish miles away from the hotel that has a 15th century castle, so I used that as the turnaround point. A few decent hills along the way put some burn in my legs. I felt pretty tired by the end of the run, but it was probably one of the most beautiful runs I've done in a long time. How many times can you use a 15th century castle as a turnaround point? Do we even have any 15th century things here in the US at all? Long story short, it was a great run and it felt great to get outside and enjoy the Yorkshire countryside.

On Sunday morning 6:30am England time, I got on the hotel bike for a 45 minute interval session. Felt good, but really tired at the end and so ready for breakfast.

Today starts a new week and I'm not on the road at all, so I hope to have a 'normal' Night Owl training week.

Happy Monday!
2013-06-19 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

This group needs some love!

I've been out of town since last Fri as my mother had emergency surgery for a twisted large intestine. She's home now and I'll be back to warm, humid, sticky FL on Thurs vs. these cool, refreshing, sometimes damp upstate NY days!  Haven't been doing evening runs since I'm out in the countryside,more like late AM or even noonish, all I know is that I'm awake! 

That said, sometime today I'm going to attempt a monster climb run/walk.  There's a ridge not even a mile from here that I mapped out to have either 650 ft of climbing in 2.1 miles (5.9% avg) or 1.3 miles (9.5% avg), hmmm I think I'll go up the 5.9% side!

2013-06-20 9:10 AM

This group definitely needs some love, but a nice drink of two would also help...

I went out for a 12.6 mile run last night. My legs felt really good. I hadn't run since Saturday and was coming off a rest day, so I knew my legs would feel pretty good, but they felt better than I expected the would - needless to say, can't complain about that. The final mile has some uphills, and I was getting pretty beat by that point, but I powered though. Overall, it was a great run. That said, I didn't see any 15th century castles...

Hoping to get to the pool tonight. I haven't been in the water in a couple of weeks given scheduling issues, so I'm way overdue for some swim workouts.

That's about it from here.

Hope everybody is doing well.

2013-06-28 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
How is everyone doing?

Summer has been a little busier than I'd hoped for. Just finishing up a week of VBS in the morning and football practice in the evenings. Even with the crazy schedule, I was able to squeeze in a bike ride and long run in between.

I'm packing right now for a two week trip to Wisconsin to visit friends and family. I'll try to post from my phone while I'm on the road. I know my training will be taking a backseat during the trip, but I did manage to find a local sprint tri next weekend, one town over from where I'll be staying. Looking forward to my first river swim. Should make for a fast time, if it's downstream!

As for that training plan, Monday started my 20 week plan for REV3 Venice HIM. The goal for this one is to break the 6 hour mark. Where are you in your training/race plans and what are your goals?

2013-07-01 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Made it to Wisconsin. 1299 miles in three days but no workouts. That changes tonight, going for an hour run sometime after dinner. Tomorrow will be a nice long bike in the country, should be a very nice day.

Hope everyone's training is going well. Have a happy 4th of July and be safe.

2013-07-02 3:58 PM

Hey all. Sorry for being radio silent for the past week or so. Not sitting on my hands here...first race of the season in 12 days and I'm trying to squeeze in as much training as I can ahead of it. Did an Olympic distance brick today - biked indoors and then ran outside. Overall, it felt pretty good.

I'm feeling pretty strong this year, and I think I'm ahead of where I was last year at this time. My race in 12 days is one that I've done 2x before, so I'll have some 'instant' feedback soon.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2013-07-02 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Had a great ride through Wisconsin farmland today. Huge difference from the flat ground and beaches I'm used to. Hopefully one of the pictures I took will show up below.

Question for the group, or what's left of it, where is the one ride or run you dream of doing? I know, I left out the swim, but honestly, who dreams of swimming?

(Barn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Barn.jpg (101KB - 26 downloads)
2013-07-05 8:41 PM

The Great Ocean Road on the southern coast of Australia, west of Melbourne would be nice. And perhaps some road in Tuscany where I could end the day enjoying some local fare and pizza. The Ring of Kerry in southwest Ireland too. And probably some Tour de France stages too, perhaps Alp D'Huez. how's that for a list? I'm sure I could come up with a few other ideas too....

Well, in terms of training, it's been an eventful week for me. This is my last training week before taper week, so I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can. Biked 51 miles on July 4, and ran 12.6 miles today - this will end-up being my biggest week in terms of hours trained. I just added some draft legal clip-ons to my roadie, so my July 4 ride was my first with aerobars. I might need to adjust them a bit to make them 'longer', but they're great. it's nice to be able to 'relax' my upper body on the arm pads. Today's run was brutal. Temps in the mid to high 90s, bright sun, not a cloud in the sky - heat advisory type conditions. My first 6.3 mile loop was ok, not great. Stopped by home after the first lap for a salt tab, water and some electrolyte drink. The first part of the second loop felt pretty good, and then the wheels fell off by around mile 9ish. The heat and sun were kicking my a&& and I slowed down considerably, not that I had a choice or anything. That said, my race next week is probably going to be in similar conditions, so I wanted to simulate race conditions. I finished my 12.6 miles, and that was my goal. It certainly wasn't speedy or anything, but I pushed though and got it done.

Hope to hit the pool tomorrow. Maybe a brick on sunday morning, and then taper. Race is on Bastille day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Night Owls (aka "I hate mornings") Group - STILL OPEN Rss Feed  

of 2