General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing Life and IM Training Success Stories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-11 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Balancing Life and IM Training Success Stories

How about some success stories about balancing family, a full time job and training for an IM? I know it ain't easy, but I want to hear from those that have done it and did not lose their job or regret too much time away from their spouse and kids.

Thanks

2006-07-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: #479694

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Balancing Life and IM Training Success Stories
Interesting that this has 29 views and no replies! I too am interested in hearing the success stories!
2006-07-12 9:50 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I'd like to hear about since.  Especially since I'm into my 4th week of IM training, and can't imagine what it's going to be like when I start having LONGER training days.
2006-07-12 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I'm in process of doing this right now.  I have a 40 hr/wk job, commute 45 min each way and am training for IM.

Give me a bit and I'll write something longer down on how I do it.

2006-07-12 9:56 AM

User image

Giver

From everything I've heard and read, you can't really balance everything. With 20 hours of training a week, and the fatigue it induces, coupled with (at least) 40 hours of work, not counting commuting, there's just not enough time for eveything.

It's one thing, I guess if you're single and not in a relationship, but you still have other responsibilities that are just going to have to slide. But if you're in a relationship, married and if you have kids, it's worse. There's just not enough time in the day for everything.

So you have to priorotize. In order to successfully complete an IM, you *have* to train. So pencil those hours into your schedule. Likewise for work and sleep. Those things can't give. After that, look at what's left of your day and ask yourself "what do I have to do, that if I won't they'll throw me in jail." Everything else is negotiable.

2006-07-12 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Maine
My situation: 40 hr/week job (7:30 to 4, very short commute), married, 2 kids (3 and 5). Training for IMLP next week. Initially I was following a training plan that had most weekends full of training - long ride/brick Saturday, long run Sunday. After reading Going Long, I took to heart Gordo's advice of quality over quantity: three key sessions each week - a long run, a long swim, and a long bike/brick, and "the rest is filler." So starting about four months ago I shifted my plan to do a long run on Thursday mornings and then the long ride/brick on Saturday mornings, with Sundays generally off. So even on my longest ride days I was home by early Saturday afternoon, and had the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday with the family. During the week, I would get in my other workouts early in the day and/or after the kids went to bed at night, and since I get home shortly after 4 in the afternoon I get to have quality time with the family until bedtime.  Yes, it has still been stressful for the family at times, but much less so than it could have been.  I'll let you know in 11 days how this worked out.

2006-07-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: #480098

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
With the reaction my wife had to the last 7 months leading up to Eagleman, I am dreading the start of my IM training when I (try) and sign up for IMFL '07. Not the training itself as I'm fine with that, but the potential for a divorce ....... definitely going to take some balance and agreements on what I can/cannot do to get the proper amount in.
2006-07-12 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Balancing life and IM training - Hahahahahahahaha

For me this meant keeping my normal work schedule (~6:30-4) then picking up the 2 kids from preschool and taking care of them until their mom gets home at 7 is.  Which meant during the week I had to train before work.  Up at 3:30 AM and at the gym when it opens at 4:30 AM.  I would swim, run the treadmill, and use a spin bike by myself and stay for a class.  Usually I got a 1-1.5 hour workout in, as IM got closer I squeezed in a few 2 hour ones.  This worked well except I couldn't get myself off the treadmill and on the road as it was dark (and chilly) when I would start running and dark when I would be done - just couldn't handle that.   That seemed to be my only problem with the schedule as I melted trying to run a marathon in mid 90 degree heat.

On the weekends it was once again up before the family and long run and swim on Saturday and long bike on Sunday.  I could get home by 11 or 12 to have time to get whatever chores really needed to get done and spend time with the family.  I tried very hard not to inconvenience everyone but you do.  To make up for it I sometimes would get done from a 1.5 hr swim and 2.5 hour run only to go spend a few hours at the park with the kids or walk around the mall....  All I really wanted to do was lay on the coach and die though.

It was hard for me, slightly hard on the family but it was very much worth it for everyone as we had the greatest vacations of our lives in Coeur d'Alene and I did finish my first IM.  As I was resting my head on my bike seat, wondering how I was going to stop from throwing up, an hour or so after the race, the wife said she wanted me to do it again next year.  So I guess it wasn't too bad on her.

I still am employed as well so I must not have been to bad at work. 

It's hard but it can be done.  It is worth it.

2006-07-12 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I'm not even to my HIM yet and I'm having problems. What seems to suffer the most is sleep. I work 40-80 hours per week depending on how busy the VA is. My wife is an MD and I have a 15 month old son. I usually wait until he goes to sleep and ride on my trainer for cycling. I hit the gym on the way home if I get out early. I have to be to work by 7 so I can work out in the AM, but this limits sleep. I usually can work out on call, but on occasion I have to go in and it trashes a work out.
So everything can't be maxed out and I just accept it. I put my son first, my wife second, my job third, and training after all that. I'll be the best triathlete I can be given those constraints, and that's fine with me.
I may need to work out less and sleep more. We'll see. Looking forward to other posts as well.
2006-07-12 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I've been in IM training for about 5 months now, and I have built up to 16 hour weeks now, and I'll probably peak at around 20.  I'm married to a very understanding wife and this is probably one of my biggests keys to success.  I also don't have kids yet which again makes things much easier.  However, 16 hrs/week with a wife and a full time job with a 30 minute one-way commute still takes some planning.   Here's are few things I've found that work for me:

1) Definitely adopt the key/breakthrough workout strategy!  I actually don't care too much about how many miles or hours I put in each week or month, but I just try to make sure I get in quality key (i.e., long) workouts.  Sometimes I skip a shorter workout to make sure I'm well rested before or well recovered after a key session.

2) Every week I plan a date night with my wife, and I try not to talk about IM or my training at dinner.   We'll have a nice dinner somewhere, and then maybe watch a DVD.   Having this date night planned almost a week in advance let's me plan my weekly training around it and let's us both look forward to it!  Scheduling this date night on Thursday evening after my long run that morning works very well, because I need that evening to recovery anyway!

3) Be flexible and creative.  For example, this weekend I'm traveling to out of state.  So, I made last week a "bike-focus" week and added a couple of extra long rides b/c I know I'll be riding less this week.  However, I will have time to run on this trip so I'm shifting my long run to the weekend thereby freeing up time during the week!   I plan about a week in advance, but I'm still try to as flexible as possible and as long as I get my key workouts in, I'm happy.  

4) Know that it's not easy, there are sacrifices, and there will be many times when you feel exhausted, stressed, and overwelhmed.   Also know that with preserverance, those times pass and are replaced by wonderful moments that only IM training can bring.  Like when your foot touches down after your longest OW swim ever, or when a 100 miles starts to not feel that long anymore.

-David 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balancing Life and IM Training Success Stories Rss Feed