of 41

2013-12-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by GregDufour

Weight loss is going fantastic. Started at 321 Nov.4th and now down to 299.5 Dec.15. Got my running back up to 5km a training sessions and I could probably go further, but I don't want to over do it. My swim is coming around as I'm trying some new breathing techniques, and my bike is up to 50 minutes a session. Can't wait to start strength training in the New Year!

Awesome progress! Keep up the good work.

2013-12-18 11:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Weight loss is going fantastic. Started at 321 Nov.4th and now down to 299.5 Dec.15. Got my running back up to 5km a training sessions and I could probably go further, but I don't want to over do it. My swim is coming around as I'm trying some new breathing techniques, and my bike is up to 50 minutes a session. Can't wait to start strength training in the New Year!

Excellent progress Greg. Out of curiosity (if you don't mind) how fast are you running or cycling and how far are you comfortable swimming?

Ransick - I agree with PsyTri - I'm looking forward to hearing how you race goes.

Well, I can do 5km in about 26 minutes right now, which is around 4 minutes higher than my best time, but still happy considering my weight.

In terms of the bike, I'm riding indoors right now as we've been hammered pretty badly with snow and I haven't been on an actual bike in 20 years. Going at a decent pace right now, took me 45 minutes to do 14 miles, so I'm getting there. Swimming started out awful, but I'm able to do 1000 metres now, reasonably comfortable. Just trying out some new things. It's a major work in progress and it's why I started training in November.

Edited by GregDufour 2013-12-19 12:00 AM
2013-12-19 8:32 AM

User image

Excellent progress Greg. Out of curiosity (if you don't mind) how fast are you running or cycling and how far are you comfortable swimming?

Ransick - I agree with PsyTri - I'm looking forward to hearing how you race goes.

Well, I can do 5km in about 26 minutes right now, which is around 4 minutes higher than my best time, but still happy considering my weight.

In terms of the bike, I'm riding indoors right now as we've been hammered pretty badly with snow and I haven't been on an actual bike in 20 years. Going at a decent pace right now, took me 45 minutes to do 14 miles, so I'm getting there. Swimming started out awful, but I'm able to do 1000 metres now, reasonably comfortable. Just trying out some new things. It's a major work in progress and it's why I started training in November.

You are in solid shape with those times. With more weight loss and conditioning, I bet your times will start melting away, too!
2013-12-19 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Greg - As PsyTri says, your paces are pretty decent. Keep up with your training and weight loss and you're going to have a lot of fun and get faster as well.

2013-12-19 11:05 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

windsor, Ontario
Timed myself swimming today. The furthest any of my swims will be this year is 800 metres. Thursday I typically swim 1km, but I decided to swim the first 800 metres as fast as I could, and I came in just over 15 minutes. Was very surprised it was that fast.
2013-12-20 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Timed myself swimming today. The furthest any of my swims will be this year is 800 metres. Thursday I typically swim 1km, but I decided to swim the first 800 metres as fast as I could, and I came in just over 15 minutes. Was very surprised it was that fast.

That's great Greg. Your average is approx. 1:54/100m or approx. 1:43/100yds. I can only come close to that when I'm swimming in a race in open water and wearing a wetsuit.

So, have you thought much about the spring and getting out for open water swimming (OWS)? Its a lot of fun but quite different from the pool and if you're going to enter an OWS race you'll need to get in some practice. In my area our local lakes were warm enough to swim in by mid May but some years not until mid June.

We're getting our 1st snowfall today - getting a whole 5cm/2inches. Fortunately, this is really dry snow so light and easy to shovel.

2013-12-20 10:54 PM

User image

So I am at a crossroads. The good news is my wife is pregnant again and our son is currently 11 months old. The bad news is the due date is mid August putting me 3 weeks or so before IM Wisconsin which I am currently registered for. I would like to know from those experience ironmen/women out there. Is it truly possible for me to balance the two responsibilities. Assuming I somehow find time to train with an infant and a hormonal wife once the baby is born sleep is out the window. When our son was born I was up every two hours for the first two months. I just don't see this working from a training/health standpoint.

Is this something I can work with or would you postpone and do other races this year? My biggest concern is to dedicate the time only to have my wife say she doesn't want me to do it or I put in the time and after the baby is born my body gives out because I am not resting enough.

Thoughts?
2013-12-21 8:18 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario

That's great Greg. Your average is approx. 1:54/100m or approx. 1:43/100yds. I can only come close to that when I'm swimming in a race in open water and wearing a wetsuit.

So, have you thought much about the spring and getting out for open water swimming (OWS)? Its a lot of fun but quite different from the pool and if you're going to enter an OWS race you'll need to get in some practice. In my area our local lakes were warm enough to swim in by mid May but some years not until mid June.

We're getting our 1st snowfall today - getting a whole 5cm/2inches. Fortunately, this is really dry snow so light and easy to shovel.

That's my plan, unfortunately I'm in Canada, so it may take a while before the water gets decent enough. My first Tri is June.16th, so I'm hoping for some good weather. Need to learn how to ride a Road Bike as well.
2013-12-22 1:47 PM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by dannywilliams83

So I am at a crossroads. The good news is my wife is pregnant again and our son is currently 11 months old. The bad news is the due date is mid August putting me 3 weeks or so before IM Wisconsin which I am currently registered for. I would like to know from those experience ironmen/women out there. Is it truly possible for me to balance the two responsibilities. Assuming I somehow find time to train with an infant and a hormonal wife once the baby is born sleep is out the window. When our son was born I was up every two hours for the first two months. I just don't see this working from a training/health standpoint.

Is this something I can work with or would you postpone and do other races this year? My biggest concern is to dedicate the time only to have my wife say she doesn't want me to do it or I put in the time and after the baby is born my body gives out because I am not resting enough.

Thoughts?

Congrats on having another baby on the way! Regarding the race, I think you should sit down and talk it through with your wife. It can be done, but it won't be easy. I probably wouldn't do the race knowing how tired I was just training for 70.3's. Good Luck!
2013-12-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
St. Louis
Looks like we've been archived. We have a few options.

1. Everyone can go join a new group.
2. I can have this group moved into the main forum.
3. Someone else can take over this group and move it to the main forum.

Let me know your preference.

Mike
2013-12-22 11:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

Mike

We've kind of thinned out with the off-season - and general quietness - but if we can get a few of the regulars back, plus a few more newbies and there is interest to keep going then I'd like to keep going with you in the lead. I think we had a decent group and good mutual support. Hopefully the others will agree with me.

Danny - Congratulations on your good news. I agree with what Ransick suggested. You can't really make any decisions until you know what your wife thinks. You could also keep training and if it becomes too much then you can drop out nearer to the race day but if everything falls into place then you can still participate. Good luck.

Greg - I had seen you live in Windsor. I guess you have lots of swimming options nearby. I'm not sure how far Wasaga beach is from Windsor but it gets pretty warm for swimming.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-12-22 11:28 PM

2013-12-23 2:51 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by ransick

Mike

We've kind of thinned out with the off-season - and general quietness - but if we can get a few of the regulars back, plus a few more newbies and there is interest to keep going then I'd like to keep going with you in the lead. I think we had a decent group and good mutual support. Hopefully the others will agree with me.

Danny - Congratulations on your good news. I agree with what Ransick suggested. You can't really make any decisions until you know what your wife thinks. You could also keep training and if it becomes too much then you can drop out nearer to the race day but if everything falls into place then you can still participate. Good luck.

Greg - I had seen you live in Windsor. I guess you have lots of swimming options nearby. I'm not sure how far Wasaga beach is from Windsor but it gets pretty warm for swimming.

X2
2013-12-23 7:20 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sounds good. I'll start a new group and anyone interested can join. It will be in the staging area for a while. You can go and join the new group here

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Looking forward to it!
2014-01-05 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4725974

User image

Hey! Is there space for one more?
NAME: Tay

STORY: I was never an athlete as a child/ young person but was reasonably active playing soccer, swimming and going to the gym on and off, until I got married and became completely lazy and put on a load of weight. After the kids were born I decided enough was enough and started getting active again, developed a love for running and completed 3 marathons, 2 half marathons, and plenty other running races. At the end of 2012 someone suggested tris and since I loved the idea of swimming again I spent last year training for and taking part in triathlons - done 3 sprints, 1 Only and 1 try-a-tri.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 12 years, have a six year old girl and a four year old boy. I work full-time and travel quitea lot for work.

CURRENT TRAINING: lost my focus and mojo for a while, after the season ended, so I'm now just getting back to being consistent. I swim twice a week with my tri club (coached) and have recently joined a cycling club for their Sunday B runs - its slower than when I was out on my own, but having the company is making all the difference, plus they go much further (previously my longest ride was 30miles, a one off, with them I'm doing at least that every week). I run at least 4 times a week, but as I said I lost it for a while and allowed the distances to drop, just rebuilding to where I was this time last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'll be travelling for the whole month of July, so I'm not 100% sure yet what races I'll commit to after we come home, but I'm def doing a few running races before the tri season begins in May, a sprint in May and one in June, then the same Oly I done last year (flat course) at the beggining of September. I would LOVE to do my local Oly (hilly) at the end of Aug but not sure it's doable with all the time away. Then in dreamworld I would love to run a marathon at the end of October...

WEIGHTLOSS: I weighed just over 220lbs after my first child was born, lost around 20lbs between pregnancies and then went down to 147lbs a year after my second was born (when I ran my first marathon). I still wanted to lose another 10-15lbs but have put on almost 15lbs back on over the last year (since I cut back the running to fit the bike and swim). I have been struggling since Xmas to be focused about the food... The main target for this year is to lose the 15lbs plus.
2014-01-05 4:38 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
Look in Hashers and Mashers Part X in the active forum
2014-01-05 10:47 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

New user

Irvine
How do I join - was a member of H&M last year but then got injured.

2014-01-05 10:48 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

New user

Irvine
How do I join - was a member of H&M last year but then got injured.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41