BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-11-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: goals
Re-did my FTP test on Trainer Road yesterday morning - I'm officially in the 200 watts club now. Hopefully I can add another 50 to that figure by mid-summer.

Wednesday morning I ripped off a 6:46 standing mile - also a new PR.

Taking today off, resting a bit, getting some housework done. Tomorrow's the half marathon, so we'll see if I can hold on for a sub-2:00 finish.

2013-11-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
First run with sub 8's in a while. Speed day. 3.07 mi / 23:30. Not bad after being weighed down by a few pounds of Turkey yesterday!
2013-11-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

So here is Tuesday's update - just in case the string of posts buggs you...

Inspired by Alex - I decided to hit the pool hard today and did a workout that would make Nancy Boy proud. I put in 5 sets of 100 and managed to finish all of them in under 2:00 which I was stoked about. But the cool thing was that I did my last splint in 1:44 - my fastest 100 ever!

Also want to say I hope the guy who wouldn't share a lane with me steps in a big cold slushy puddle on his way to work sometime in the near future...

I also went out for "a run" even though my hip hurt a bit. I'm hoping that ice, ibuprophin and a trip to the Pt's tomorrow will get it under control. If not, I might have to resort to the medicinal powers of a barley pop or two.

Prost!

Nice job!
2013-11-30 4:50 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Race report's up for my half marathon turkey trot - 2:01:36, which is 97 seconds off my goal, with a 3 minute potty break.

A nice way to cap off the season.
2013-12-03 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Wetsuits are crazy and should be mandatory on all races I busted out my wetsuit for the first time last night at tri practice since I have a race in 2 weeks and needed to swim in it so I didn't freak out on race day. They are stupid fast! We did 2100 yards and I averaged 2:03 for the whole thing and that includes the time I was behind people waiting to pass. As a comparison my 2000 straight swim was at 2:21/100. Coach moved me up a lane half way through practice. I am feeling real solid about the Christmas sprint in two weeks and the Oly the second week of Jan since I get to use the wetsuit. Plus the Oly is in the ocean so I will have the salt water adding to the buoyancy so that should be super fun.
2013-12-03 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Race report's up for my half marathon turkey trot - 2:01:36, which is 97 seconds off my goal, with a 3 minute potty break.

A nice way to cap off the season.

Way to end on a high note.

2013-12-04 12:29 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I got something wrong with calf. It may not be torn, but it probably is a little, or at best, severely irritated. I can play hockey, and wrestle. I just cannot run on it. I'm going to switch all my run days to aqua jog days and stay off my calf for extended period. (2-3 months) This will screw up 2014 plans as I had planned on first 50K and 2nd HIM early in the year. I will hope to recover and look for a HIM later in the year JUly/August at this rate. Oh well, I can still b/s/ and aqua jog+ strength train.
2013-12-06 8:43 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Nothing major going on right now - but getting up at 5:00am to swim in a 72 degree pool is getting harder and harder.

Trainer sessions are going okay - between the treadmill and the trainer, I'll be through all of Breaking Bad on Netflix by the end of the year.

Up to 195, a gain of about 15 pounds this year - and it's disgusting writing that. I'm back on the wagon though, so I'm hoping for 18X by January 1, and looking to get to race weight by the end of March.
2013-12-08 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by kevinbe

I got something wrong with calf. It may not be torn, but it probably is a little, or at best, severely irritated. I can play hockey, and wrestle. I just cannot run on it. I'm going to switch all my run days to aqua jog days and stay off my calf for extended period. (2-3 months) This will screw up 2014 plans as I had planned on first 50K and 2nd HIM early in the year. I will hope to recover and look for a HIM later in the year JUly/August at this rate. Oh well, I can still b/s/ and aqua jog+ strength train.

So sorry to hear about the set back...way to turn it around, let it heal but maintain momentum!
2013-12-08 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Did not meet my goal of doing at least one training session in each sport last week however I did manage 3 runs. My last final is on Wednesday and then I can swim with the masters group again.

Life is the same ol same ol...cars breaking down; dogs knocking over Christmas trees; coughs and colds...good news? We all still made it to work in the snow and short a vehicle, great customer service from the mechanic and will always take our vehicles there...and we did not get the flu just the cough!

Woot woot lets do this...signing up for my first race in April...Hits Triathlon Napa Oly!

2013-12-08 7:32 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Hello everyone!

Its been a while. I hope everyone's doing well! I've checked in occasionally to see what y'all are up to. New bikes, successes, set backs etc. I'm sorry I haven't been around to support you through all of this. Life got pretty crazy once school started back. I hope I can get back on here on a regular basis. Training's been inconsistent the past few months but I hope I'm doing enough to hold steady. Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well! Talk to everyone again soon.

Bill

2013-12-09 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by kevinbe

Ouch. Baby that calf and heal up. Sorry to hear about it but at least you are still able to do other things to maintain your fitness.
2013-12-09 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by SportzVision

Did not meet my goal of doing at least one training session in each sport last week however I did manage 3 runs. My last final is on Wednesday and then I can swim with the masters group again.

Life is the same ol same ol...cars breaking down; dogs knocking over Christmas trees; coughs and colds...good news? We all still made it to work in the snow and short a vehicle, great customer service from the mechanic and will always take our vehicles there...and we did not get the flu just the cough!

Woot woot lets do this...signing up for my first race in April...Hits Triathlon Napa Oly!

Heck ya...HITS. They look like a super fun series. I'm doing the Naples HITS oly in Jan here in Florida. It will be my first oly distance. Excited and scared all in the same. Kinda need to do this since everyone in my tri club is pushing me to do the Florida 70.3 in April.

2013-12-11 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well I am proud to say I went for a run with my wife this morning...first real run since October 2. Had some knee pain midway but it went away. Lower left back/ pain lessened but still there. Did some foam roller stretching after. Hoping to get back on track with my swim/bike/run.

2013-12-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Subject: I suck
So after not working out for 3 days, I found myself eating cookies for breakfast. Not a great start to the day. So, once I got the kids to school (one stayed home puking his guts out, I got in a run, a swim and some PT work.... no excuses just totally off my game. I need to figure out how to reconnect with the DQ of 2012 when I was far more focused.... Maybe Santa will bring me some motivation for Christmas....

I wonder if part of the problem is that I don't have any races in the near future. While the wife the only one bringing home any real cash, I have only allowed myself to sign up for the HIM and IM. It looks like I might need to sign up for a few races just to give me a kick in the a$$.

I'm glad to see everyone else still fighting the good fight. If you could send me a little of your mojo (or just call me out in an inspire when I fall off the wagon - ala Thor), I would appreciate it.

Prost!
2013-12-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Hello everyone!

Its been a while. I hope everyone's doing well! I've checked in occasionally to see what y'all are up to. New bikes, successes, set backs etc. I'm sorry I haven't been around to support you through all of this. Life got pretty crazy once school started back. I hope I can get back on here on a regular basis. Training's been inconsistent the past few months but I hope I'm doing enough to hold steady. Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well! Talk to everyone again soon.

Bill

Yea - Bill's back! Missed you. Don't beat yourself up too much about being busy... I am in the same boat with you. But let's commit to each other to be regular visitors here in the BDAS until the new groups start up at the end of the month.

2013-12-11 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well I am proud to say I went for a run with my wife this morning...first real run since October 2. Had some knee pain midway but it went away. Lower left back/ pain lessened but still there. Did some foam roller stretching after. Hoping to get back on track with my swim/bike/run.

Wow - nice work. Not only did you get in a good workout but you earned some brownie points with the wife. That's something to be proud of. What beer are you drinking tonight to reward yourself or are you still riding the wagon. I've got a nice IPA on tap if you want to go for a road trip.
2013-12-11 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Wow - nice work. Not only did you get in a good workout but you earned some brownie points with the wife. That's something to be proud of. What beer are you drinking tonight to reward yourself or are you still riding the wagon. I've got a nice IPA on tap if you want to go for a road trip.

Hey looking at getting on the trainerroad.com and signing up. $10/month. They have a group thingamajiggy that might be good for our group. Seen it in one of the threads on BT FORUM. As Christmas is approaching, I was going to put down for a Wahoo bluetooth speed/cadence sensor ($60). Can hook up to you iphone/computer if it has bluetooth. 

One thing I did do is buy some tri bars at lunch today for one of my gifts. Got %20 off as well. Getting them put on tomorrow! 

My wife is also buying a couple sufferfest videos for work in the new year. Will let everyone know how they are.

Cheers!

PS: I got on the beer wagon not off unfortunately. Had a wet hopped ipa, marzen and heavy scottish ale on the weekend. Oh and  Nasty Habit IPA.

Going to smuggle in a couple of IPA's for my wife's Christmas party. Gotta have some good beers before I start hitting the crap beer!

2013-12-11 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: I suck

So after not working out for 3 days, I found myself eating cookies for breakfast. Not a great start to the day. So, once I got the kids to school (one stayed home puking his guts out, I got in a run, a swim and some PT work.... no excuses just totally off my game. I need to figure out how to reconnect with the DQ of 2012 when I was far more focused.... Maybe Santa will bring me some motivation for Christmas....

I wonder if part of the problem is that I don't have any races in the near future. While the wife the only one bringing home any real cash, I have only allowed myself to sign up for the HIM and IM. It looks like I might need to sign up for a few races just to give me a kick in the a$$.

I'm glad to see everyone else still fighting the good fight. If you could send me a little of your mojo (or just call me out in an inspire when I fall off the wagon - ala Thor), I would appreciate it.

Prost!

Don't be so hard on yourself! You had a tough '13 with some injuries but you kept positive all year long. I jumped in your mentor group this time last year and hung around with some of the others for all of '13 and you were focused all year...OK well maybe some weeks not so much but the majority was spot on. You took the step to sign up for your first IM like a boss even though you were having some issues. I can't say what it was like in '12 since I wasn't around but I have been here for the entire year and you stuck it out and helped so many of us. In my mind that is the true definition of focus, to be able to inspire others.

I just have one more thing I would like to add and I mean this from the bottom of my heart....Suck it up Nancy Boy! You will survive and come back stronger from the few weeks you have been away.
2013-12-11 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Hey looking at getting on the trainerroad.com and signing up. $10/month. They have a group thingamajiggy that might be good for our group. Seen it in one of the threads on BT FORUM. As Christmas is approaching, I was going to put down for a Wahoo bluetooth speed/cadence sensor ($60). Can hook up to you iphone/computer if it has bluetooth. 

One thing I did do is buy some tri bars at lunch today for one of my gifts. Got %20 off as well. Getting them put on tomorrow! 

My wife is also buying a couple sufferfest videos for work in the new year. Will let everyone know how they are.

Cheers!

PS: I got on the beer wagon not off unfortunately. Had a wet hopped ipa, marzen and heavy scottish ale on the weekend. Oh and  Nasty Habit IPA.

Going to smuggle in a couple of IPA's for my wife's Christmas party. Gotta have some good beers before I start hitting the crap beer!

I wish I could help you out with info about trainers and the like but it was in the mid 80s today with lots of sunshine! Did Alex just play the Florida winter card....why yes he did! Bundle up my northern brethren

I wish I was back on the beer but I switched to my other passion...wine. Maybe I can drop a pound or two being off the beer. Guess I'll wait and see.
2013-12-12 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd

Cheers!

I wish I could help you out with info about trainers and the like but it was in the mid 80s today with lots of sunshine! Did Alex just play the Florida winter card....why yes he did! Bundle up my northern brethren I wish I was back on the beer but I switched to my other passion...wine. Maybe I can drop a pound or two being off the beer. Guess I'll wait and see.
Snowing here...-13 with wind chill today and getting colder....Ft. Myers 69...I guess we don't have to worry about sharks... 

2013-12-12 5:49 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Alright everyone. Need some more advice. Wetsuits this time. I think I'm about ready to get one but can't decide between sleeves or no sleeves. I just don't know what the water temps will be like here in Mississippi in April/May. I'm leaning towards sleeveless but wanted some advise before I took the plunge. Thanks!

Bill
2013-12-12 6:03 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Cheers!

Had never heard of sufferfest. I've been looking for some videos to train with. They look like they may be what I'm looking for. Sorry to hear that you're having problems with you knee and back. Get well soon and have fun at the party!
2013-12-12 6:09 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Hello everyone!

Bill

Yea - Bill's back! Missed you. Don't beat yourself up too much about being busy... I am in the same boat with you. But let's commit to each other to be regular visitors here in the BDAS until the new groups start up at the end of the month.

Good to be back! My discipline has been terrible. However, I've managed to keep my weight gain to about 5 pounds. Just hope I don't add 5 more over Christmas. A little while back I bought a little motivation to keep me active through the winter. Finally bought a new bike and a trainer. Trying my best to get on it twice a week. A couple of our LBS's are having trainer workouts one night a week. Our family schedule has let up enough that I think I'll be able to make it next week. Glad to see that y'all are keeping at it. Damn it's hard this time of year!
2013-12-13 6:42 AM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by NeverTri'd Alright everyone. Need some more advice. Wetsuits this time. I think I'm about ready to get one but can't decide between sleeves or no sleeves. I just don't know what the water temps will be like here in Mississippi in April/May. I'm leaning towards sleeveless but wanted some advise before I took the plunge. Thanks! Bill

If you are an above average swimmer and the water isn't too cold,  i would definitely go with sleeveless.Not sure water temps there, but here, there could still be ice on water in april. Good luck with the wetsuit shopping!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70