BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-12-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: goals
Originally posted by Burd

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Qua17

Well I am proud to say I went for a run with my wife this morning...first real run since October 2. Had some knee pain midway but it went away. Lower left back/ pain lessened but still there. Did some foam roller stretching after. Hoping to get back on track with my swim/bike/run.

Wow - nice work. Not only did you get in a good workout but you earned some brownie points with the wife. That's something to be proud of. What beer are you drinking tonight to reward yourself or are you still riding the wagon. I've got a nice IPA on tap if you want to go for a road trip.

Hey looking at getting on the trainerroad.com and signing up. $10/month. They have a group thingamajiggy that might be good for our group. Seen it in one of the threads on BT FORUM. As Christmas is approaching, I was going to put down for a Wahoo bluetooth speed/cadence sensor ($60). Can hook up to you iphone/computer if it has bluetooth. 

One thing I did do is buy some tri bars at lunch today for one of my gifts. Got %20 off as well. Getting them put on tomorrow! 

My wife is also buying a couple sufferfest videos for work in the new year. Will let everyone know how they are.

Cheers!

PS: I got on the beer wagon not off unfortunately. Had a wet hopped ipa, marzen and heavy scottish ale on the weekend. Oh and  Nasty Habit IPA.

Going to smuggle in a couple of IPA's for my wife's Christmas party. Gotta have some good beers before I start hitting the crap beer!

I wish I could help you out with info about trainers and the like but it was in the mid 80s today with lots of sunshine! Did Alex just play the Florida winter card....why yes he did! Bundle up my northern brethren

• Oh no you didn't!!! And there it is... The it's so much warmer down here in sunny florida card. Just for the record, Nancy boy, I went out for a bike ride yesterday and the wind child was around 10. And I enjoyed it!

2013-12-13 1:25 PM
    in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
    Report: I love my PT. I had my weekly appointment and the guy worked with me for 2 hours! The appointment was only supposed to last 60 minutes but he just kept pushing me. When I walked out of there my legs were actually shaking! He says I am making progress but they haven't figured out why more core isn't engaging more. So, I will continue to put in the time doing the rehab exercises hoping that it will continue to improve.

On a positive note - I logged a respectable 900 yards in the pool which is my longest swim since the summer. I finished in 21 minutes. I'm hoping to hit the 1100 mark next week.

We are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow on Saturday and I am hoping to get in my last long ride of the year before the flakes fly. I will do so confident in the notion that Alex would probably refuse to attempt it given that he won't even swim if the temperature gets below 70. Those people from florida... : )

Onward!
    2013-12-13 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Report: I love my PT. I had my weekly appointment and the guy worked with me for 2 hours! The appointment was only supposed to last 60 minutes but he just kept pushing me. When I walked out of there my legs were actually shaking! He says I am making progress but they haven't figured out why more core isn't engaging more. So, I will continue to put in the time doing the rehab exercises hoping that it will continue to improve. On a positive note - I logged a respectable 900 yards in the pool which is my longest swim since the summer. I finished in 21 minutes. I'm hoping to hit the 1100 mark next week. We are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow on Saturday and I am hoping to get in my last long ride of the year before the flakes fly. I will do so confident in the notion that Alex would probably refuse to attempt it given that he won't even swim if the temperature gets below 70. Those people from florida... : ) Onward!

Wait until we all show up on his doorstep expecting to be fed, water and housed for the BDAS cycle tour in 2014....

2013-12-13 5:45 PM
    in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Friday workout:

First a Heavy Scottish Ale by Big Rock

Second, a wet hop beer(save the best for last!)

Have a great weekend everyone.

PS:Picked up bike from lbs. they put on tribars, tuned up and switched speed sensor to back...price...free. Gotta love the first year of owning a bike!

Also bought my wife a cycling tank top that was half price. Early christmas present and future brownie points!

2013-12-13 6:26 PM
    in reply to: thor67

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Friday workout:

PS:Picked up bike from lbs. they put on tribars, tuned up and switched speed sensor to back...price...free. Gotta love the first year of owning a bike!

Also bought my wife a cycling tank top that was half price. Early christmas present and future brownie points!

Good to see you and your wife working together. My wife will never be a triathlete, but she does run. Smokes me at anything over 5k! Just wish we could run together. Too hard with young kids. Hope you enjoy your bike. What did you get?
    2013-12-13 6:29 PM
    in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
    Well, I finally bought a wetsuit today. Zoot Z-Force 2.0. Early Christmas present. Thought I got a pretty good buy. I'm anxious to see what it's like to swim in one. Looking to use it in my first race of 2014 in April!

2013-12-14 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Originally posted by NeverTri'd Well, I finally bought a wetsuit today. Zoot Z-Force 2.0. Early Christmas present. Thought I got a pretty good buy. I'm anxious to see what it's like to swim in one. Looking to use it in my first race of 2014 in April!
    Nice looking suit!

2013-12-14 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Friday workout:

Good to see you and your wife working together. My wife will never be a triathlete, but she does run. Smokes me at anything over 5k! Just wish we could run together. Too hard with young kids. Hope you enjoy your bike. What did you get?

You never know. When i first started my wife told me no way she was doing a tri...she was a runner as well. She loves them now! Hooked.

We just got off the cycle trainers in the basement while the kids played. 

I just added tri bars to my bike I bought last year, a Giant composite with shimano 105 configuration. Love it and now love my new tri bars.

oops had an extra Monkey's fist(wet hop  beer) last night.

Gotta work off before Christmas party tonite!

2013-12-14 6:42 PM

User image

Expert

Well, I finally bought a wetsuit today. Zoot Z-Force 2.0. Early Christmas present. Thought I got a pretty good buy. I'm anxious to see what it's like to swim in one. Looking to use it in my first race of 2014 in April!

You are gonna love it!
    2013-12-14 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
    I again embraced my inner DH and went out for a ride this afternoon. I have to say - there is something really exciting about riding in the cold (10F). I had a blast out there and thought it was pretty cool that both my water and gatorade froze solid. Whenever I got really cold, I imagined what Alex would do in these temps and that always put a smile on my face. I finished the 25 mile ride in a little over 2 hours.

Best part - it was my longest ride this year. How insane is that. My hip is slightly sore but I pray that this is the beginning of the end of my injury bug.

Celebrating tonight with some homemade IPA.. Might even make some homemade chocolate sauce to have with my ice cream.

2013-12-14 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
    Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed
    Good luck to Alex tomorrow - he's gonna crush his race tomorrow!

2013-12-15 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
    Good Morning - I woke up to 9 inches of snow. I guess winter is here.

Question - I considering my options in regards to what to do about bike riding over the winter.

1) I put my road bike on the trainer and suck it up: I hate biking inside but I hate the thought of falling when I ride outside with all the sand they lay down out here.
    2) I pay to have my hybrid fixed which will make me safer thanks to the fatter wheels. Problem there - money is tight
    3) I borrow a friends mountain bike which is free, has massive wheels and will let me bike through anything. But is riding a mountain bike a good substitute as I train for an IM this year.

Thoughts?
    2013-12-15 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
    Goals For Week of December 15

DQ - 2 swims with one over 1000, 3 bikes with a 25 miler, 3 runs/walks of 4 miles, Lose 3 pounds (weighed in today at 205), BT everyday, and 240 minutes of core work
    2013-12-15 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cape Coral, FL
    RAAAAWR!!!!!!! KILLED IT!

Bit of history, race #1 7/13 - 1:22, race #2 9/13 - 1:17, race #3 (today's race) - 1:08! BAM! Can you tell I am real happy about the results I also took 17th overall and 2nd in my AG. The 1st place in my AG was 1:02 and I think come next years race I have more than a shot at it. I saw where I can make up the time and need to focus my training to get there. The more sprints I do the less I want to go long. I really like going fast.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and I'm outta here to go soak in the tub with an ice cold beer
    2013-12-15 2:43 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA

Question - I considering my options in regards to what to do about bike riding over the winter.

1) I put my road bike on the trainer and suck it up: I hate biking inside but I hate the thought of falling when I ride outside with all the sand they lay down out here.
    2) I pay to have my hybrid fixed which will make me safer thanks to the fatter wheels. Problem there - money is tight
    3) I borrow a friends mountain bike which is free, has massive wheels and will let me bike through anything. But is riding a mountain bike a good substitute as I train for an IM this year.

Thoughts?

My advice: Option 1. is key. find some videos. (UTube has been good for me on the cheap) Invest in a good fan, You'll appreciate the air. Throw a towel down.

Edited to add Time in the saddle is key. Filter apparently doesn't like the acronym.

Edited by kevinbe 2013-12-15 2:45 PM
    2013-12-15 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA

Bit of history, race #1 7/13 - 1:22, race #2 9/13 - 1:17, race #3 (today's race) - 1:08! BAM! Can you tell I am real happy about the results I also took 17th overall and 2nd in my AG. The 1st place in my AG was 1:02 and I think come next years race I have more than a shot at it. I saw where I can make up the time and need to focus my training to get there. The more sprints I do the less I want to go long. I really like going fast.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and I'm outta here to go soak in the tub with an ice cold beer

That's great news. Your progression this year is impressive. Keep at it. You got to go with what your passionate about, and you my friend have a need for speed! Keep up the good work. I'd ask what the plans are for your off season, but I don't think you have an off season in FL? do you?

2013-12-15 4:10 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

Congrats!!!!! What race did you do?
    2013-12-15 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cape Coral, FL

The Christmas Sprint in Naples, FL. I did their sprint in July also and was happy with the way they put it on. They did an even better job this time. The only thing they need work on is the food spread after the race. Bananas and Little Debbie snack cakes only go so far They also didn't tell us that they had Gatorade in the cups at the water station so as I came out of T2 and popped my gel I grabbed a cup to wash it down on the fly and sure enough got orange Gatorade all over my jersey, lol. Live and learn I guess. If that's the worst thing I have to complain about then it was a pretty awesome day IMO.
    2013-12-15 6:50 PM
    in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cape Coral, FL
    Originally posted by kevinbe

That's great news. Your progression this year is impressive. Keep at it. You got to go with what your passionate about, and you my friend have a need for speed! Keep up the good work. I'd ask what the plans are for your off season, but I don't think you have an off season in FL? do you?

Our "off season" consists of our rest days once a week. Kind of a curse really since the body never gets a chance to go into maintenance/repair mode then start to rebuild in the spring.

Going on my passion I think I am skipping the oly in Jan since the thought of the 1500m ows is giving me nerves already. I know I have more than enough fitness it's just mental and I figure a handful more sprints will make me more comfortable in the washing machine of a swim. Another year of sprints and tearing it up going fast isn't then end of the world....as a matter of fact it's just the beginning and if I don't enjoy the ride why take the trip.
    2013-12-15 9:27 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

The Christmas Sprint in Naples, FL. I did their sprint in July also and was happy with the way they put it on. They did an even better job this time. The only thing they need work on is the food spread after the race. Bananas and Little Debbie snack cakes only go so far They also didn't tell us that they had Gatorade in the cups at the water station so as I came out of T2 and popped my gel I grabbed a cup to wash it down on the fly and sure enough got orange Gatorade all over my jersey, lol. Live and learn I guess. If that's the worst thing I have to complain about then it was a pretty awesome day IMO.

Great time improvement! I bet by spring you'll be winning your AG!
    2013-12-16 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Originally posted by kevinbe
    Originally posted by Burd RAAAAWR!!!!!!! KILLED IT! Bit of history, race #1 7/13 - 1:22, race #2 9/13 - 1:17, race #3 (today's race) - 1:08! BAM! Can you tell I am real happy about the results I also took 17th overall and 2nd in my AG. The 1st place in my AG was 1:02 and I think come next years race I have more than a shot at it. I saw where I can make up the time and need to focus my training to get there. The more sprints I do the less I want to go long. I really like going fast. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and I'm outta here to go soak in the tub with an ice cold beer
    Our "off season" consists of our rest days once a week. Kind of a curse really since the body never gets a chance to go into maintenance/repair mode then start to rebuild in the spring. Going on my passion I think I am skipping the oly in Jan since the thought of the 1500m ows is giving me nerves already. I know I have more than enough fitness it's just mental and I figure a handful more sprints will make me more comfortable in the washing machine of a swim. Another year of sprints and tearing it up going fast isn't then end of the world....as a matter of fact it's just the beginning and if I don't enjoy the ride why take the trip.

Don't be confused and think you have to do longer races to be a triathlete.Race what you enjoy. People don't look down on usain Bolt and his measly little 100 meter race and ask why he doesn't run a marathon...

Nice job on your race!

2013-12-16 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
    Illinois

Thoughts?

What's wrong with your hybrid?

You can't go wrong with the trainer though - The boredom is the roughest part. Except for Sufferfest.
    2013-12-16 3:59 PM
    in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
    Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Thoughts?

What's wrong with your hybrid?

You can't go wrong with the trainer though - The boredom is the roughest part. Except for Sufferfest.

My rear wheel must have gotten bent last year in the move (I haven't used it since May of 2012 when I bought my Madone). Money is tight right now - so, I think my best bet is to get out the drainer... A couple of ride on my friends mountain bike bike will help me fight the boredom and I also want to try spinning class to see if I can pick up any speed.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    2013-12-16 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
    Today was a good day. I got in two strong PT workouts plus I was able to hit the pool. I was proud of my swim for two reasons - 1) It was the longest I've gone since mid summer when I could go jump in a lake and 2) because I swam a 900 time trial in 19:30 which is 2:08 per mile. I'm pretty happy with that... Making progress.

2013-12-16 4:09 PM

User image

Expert

Way to go Nancy! I'm thrilled to hear that you did so well. It just proves how far you have come this year. Plus - you left out the best part - you gave it all you had and you didn't get hurt. I'm also glad that you have found a distance you love. People get too hung up on the longer distances. It's all about what keeps you happy and healthy.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70