BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-12-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by KWDreamun Dirk, i would like you, the other mentors and the rest of the Junkies to decide on me. I have learned so much from this group but it seems as if most people are upping their goal to IM. As of right now, I have no desire to do an IM just because there are other things I would like to do. It may be better for you to fill the group w/ people all wanting to do IM and have an IM group. Right now I just can't dedicate that much time to the training as I can only get 12 - 14 hrs per week max. Also i would probably feel like I was a slacker the whole year w/ all ya'll doing so much training. The sad thing is, I used to want to do an IM, that is why i started tri's in the 1st place, but gosh the Oly was hard enough for me..I crashed and burned on mile 6..thing what I'd do on mile 7 - 26.2..lol Actually I agree w/ Dina, and I can stalk and ask questions as needed. My feelings will not be hurt by ya'll saying for me to join another group.

Karl,  This group is for everyone!  There are no exclusions because the race distance you chose or chose not to do.  No race or athlete is any more or less important than anothers.  we are all here to become better at one aspect or another of racing and lifestyle.

You are very much welcome to stay in the group.

x2 on what Dirk said this group is not about Ironman or any other race distance. We're all here to learn and help each other out. Karl like I said to Dina you can't quit this group if you want to be here and you know we all want you to be a part of the group.

2013-12-22 9:08 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Karl nice run, 16 miles yeah I'd have ask you as well what marathon are you training for? Your one run was more than my two runs which totaled 15.5 miles for this week. I feel like a slacker now lol.

Dina nice week and glad to hear that you are making progress and getting healthier. I'm hoping the shorter runs help you. It's sounds like you got some very solid workouts in this week.

So the weather here has been amazingly warm. Friday I got an 8 mile run in outdoors which I've not been able to do much and yesterday was just beautiful out. I got over to Manorville Hills and got my best MTN bike ride in as of yet. I was solo yesterday and went later in the morning so the trail was emptying out when I was heading out on it. I caught my friend Wynn before I hit the loop he was wrapping up a two loop ride and he looked like it lol.

It was great there was just enough mud on the trail to make it fun and interesting. I was crushing it yesterday flying on the downhills and hammering on uphills. I knew I was on pace to best my 1:27 but then just passed mile 10 I got a flat. I couldn't believe it. I had to stop and get that changed so I sort of lost momentum and you know I had to get warmed back up and get the legs loose again so I think I lost a little time there. In any case I did finish out strong and tied my PR with another 1:27. I just kept thinking I would have a had that PR if not for the flat but I a great time and a lot of fun on yesterday's ride.

I was going to run this morning and try and beat the rain that is on the way but I'm just tired and trashed from the ride yesterday so I'll probably just take a rest day today and swim tomorrow morning and then get a run in the afternoon. I need 20 miles to hit the 1000 mile mark for the year.
2013-12-22 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Originally posted by jenbmosley

Got a question.... I am 6 weeks out from the marathon. When I start tapering in 3 weeks, should I also back off of cycling at the same time? I will probably log more time in the pool (increase 3 -4 swims per week) leading up to the marathon.

Also, I really thought all this marathon training would make my legs look nice and lean and long.... not so much. My little tree trunks look even more like tree trunks than ever before and I cannot even wear some of the jeans I had been wearing. I ripped a fingernail off this morning just trying to pull my compression socks over my calves. I thought all this running would have the opposite effect. I am eating more, and have put on about 6 pounds.... I am truly envious of Matt's recent meal or was that meals, especially as I sit here and eat a fruit bowl with a protein bar.

I will be the one with a slightly differing view than Warren on marathon tapering.  I personally felt a little stale leading into my first run toward a BQ after taking a 3 week taper.  I feel 2 weeks can be good enough (even beneficial) provided you feel very confident about your fitness.  If you have any doubts about whether you can recover completely in 2 weeks than keep to a 3 week taper.  As Warren stated, the idea is to completely recover from all of the training stresses incurred over the training cycle and if you fall short of a full recovery you will suffer.

If you chose to do a 3 week taper, I suggest you do a 3 week  run taper and a 2 weeks cycling taper.  The reduction in running will reduce the impact stresses and allow the running muscles to recover.  Allow an extra week of cycling with some intensity rides, as you would normally have done.  Do NOT add any intensity or any extra rides unless the extra ride is an easy type of recovery ride.  I wouldn't really add any swimming unless you haven't been doing any at all.  If you have done any for a while you could do a few swims but nothing intense with less than 2 weeks remaining.

The week (7 days) prior to the race should be very low key!  Absolutely NO intensity at all!  Keep things light and very easy.  I would even consider doing only 1 bike at a very easy effort.  And make sure to begin carb loading with about 4 days remaining.

Now, diet during marathon training.  It is extremely easy to justify eating copious amounts of food during marathon training.  After all "look at all of the miles I'm running."  - Those were my thoughts as I began training.  I just kept waiting for the pounds to fall away and they never did.  I had been subconsciously justifying my over eating habits because I was running so much.  I don't know if that's something you got caught up in or not but I did.  And, if I'm completely honest, I did the same thing this past season training for HIM's.  As the year was drawing to a close I was about 3-4 pounds heavier than I had targeted, all because I wasn't considering what I had been eating.

And, I agree 100% what Warren said about the way God created us.  You are who you are and you'll look like who you'll look like.  Regardless of the outside world's "suggestions" we are all beautiful in our own way.  Well, except for me!  There's no getting around my ugly!

Dirk I think you are 100% correct about overeating and I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has struggled with this. I'm sure we all do. You are so right, it so easy to justify overeating or falling into some bad eating habits because you are training for a marathon or an ironman or any event for that matter. I know training for the IM I was eating whatever I wanted to without any concerns because I knew I'd not gain any weight. Now trying to regain some discipline has not been easy to do. I'll just say thankfully January 6th is right around the corner and I'll be starting my training for IMMT but in the meantime this is a good reminder to stay disciplined with our eating habits as tough as that may be with the holidays upon us.
2013-12-23 5:17 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

There's not been a lot of activity over the past few days.  I suppose that means there has been a lot of holiday shopping and festivities to keep everyone busy.  It's been somewhat slow around here over the weekend, with exception to training.  We have had a couple of visitors and we went to see Madea's Christmas last night, making for some good holiday, family fun.

I have yet to finish shopping for a couple of things.  Lisa's stuff is what's missing.  She's already gotten the big item (as have we both) but I cannot stand her not having something under the tree on Christmas morning.  I'll be doing that shopping today while she's at work.

I have been pounding away on the bike the past few weeks.  I have been getting over 8 hours riding the past 2 weeks and over 6.5 hours the first week of December.  That kind of riding will come to a screeching halt this week as I head to Ohio for Christmas at all of the family's places and all of the visiting.  I am taking my trainer and bike and plan to get 2-3 rides in while there but I'll have to be pretty determined to ride. 

I also be getting some swimming in, which I may focus on a little heavier than in the past few years over Christmas.  My racing team is in a very close race for the swim championship for the USAT winter challenge.  We trade places with another team every week.  The weekends seem to provide our strongest push and then the other team seems to get a great week and catch up and pass us.  Currently we are ahead by 52 miles (weighted miles) and we may have a bit of an advantage since we're headed into a holiday week.

2013-12-23 9:49 AM

User image

NH
Dirk, that's a solid bike month, and it will pay dividends at IMWI to have those bike miles under your belt. Good luck on the swimming.

I've been asked by my swim buddy to compete with his masters team at some meets over the spring and summer. Not sure if I'll do it, but they really just want me since they have no one in my AG and they're hoping I can squeak out a few points (top 10 finishers get points). I'd likely have to get under 1:05 in the 100 and 2:15 in the 200, so I really can't see that happening, but I'm thinking about using it as a carrot to swim more this winter.

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Dirk, i would like you, the other mentors and the rest of the Junkies to decide on me. I have learned so much from this group but it seems as if most people are upping their goal to IM. As of right now, I have no desire to do an IM just because there are other things I would like to do. It may be better for you to fill the group w/ people all wanting to do IM and have an IM group. Right now I just can't dedicate that much time to the training as I can only get 12 - 14 hrs per week max. Also i would probably feel like I was a slacker the whole year w/ all ya'll doing so much training.

The sad thing is, I used to want to do an IM, that is why i started tri's in the 1st place, but gosh the Oly was hard enough for me..I crashed and burned on mile 6..thing what I'd do on mile 7 - 26.2..lol

No, no, no. Stay on if this is your only reason for leaving. ONLY 12-14 hours?!?!?!?? That's a massive amount training.

I have zero desire to do an IM, and in fact this year I will probably only be doing sprints and some bike races and maybe a half aqua-bike. I'll expound on my reasons, but I won't be running as much this year. We're an open group with all levels and all goals.
2013-12-23 10:01 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

NH
Originally posted by strikyr
Dirk I think you are 100% correct about overeating and I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has struggled with this. I'm sure we all do. You are so right, it so easy to justify overeating or falling into some bad eating habits because you are training for a marathon or an ironman or any event for that matter. I know training for the IM I was eating whatever I wanted to without any concerns because I knew I'd not gain any weight. Now trying to regain some discipline has not been easy to do. I'll just say thankfully January 6th is right around the corner and I'll be starting my training for IMMT but in the meantime this is a good reminder to stay disciplined with our eating habits as tough as that may be with the holidays upon us.

As far as eating, during the training season I find it hard to lose weight, partially because we have to fuel the workouts and the recovery. That said, heavy training season is not the time to eat whatever we want whenever we want, but be sure to eat the right foods at the right times. I may be odd (well, I'm definitely odd) in that I find it much easier to eat "right" when I'm training heavy since I don't want to sabotage all the training effort, but I still tend not to lose weight.

When I have eating issues is when I'm not in formal event training - like right now. My cycle is to gain some weight this time of year, lose it and get a little under race weight by spring, and then really eat well and try to maintain a good body composition through the race season. As an Italian from a very big, traditional Italian family, there is simply no way I won't enjoy our homemade ravioli and meatballs and sauces and sausage and breads and cannoli and etc throughout this time of year!

2013-12-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hey Junkies! This is a hard post for me but I will be leaving the Junkies. I have already notified Dirk. I want ya'll all to know that this group is AWESOME!!!! I was so fortunate to find this group to start with. Ya'll taught me what T-1 and T-2 was, about clipless pedals, how to run injury free (hope it continues).
The only reason I'm leaving is most people here are planning on doing an IM and my hat is off to everyone doing one. IM is he reason I got invloved in tri's to start with. Tony, thank you for letting my tag along w/ your journey! Man that was a fun journey! However, I need to be w/ people at my fitness level.

I am not saying bye because I'll send ya'll e-mails and even stalk the group and cheer ya'll on!

So what is in plan for me this coming 2014. I would like to take some pressure off and enjoy life more. Work, rentals, baseball w/ son, and worrying about the swim at the tri is pressure. I want to spend more time w/ wife and son as he is a sophmore so i know I just have a couple of years left w/ him before he goes off to school.

I've signed up for the Master's Swim to start the year off. I will be doing a HM in Early Feb. and leaving for a week for work the same day after the HM, see there is a lot going on. There is also a 30K coming up in January I think. I will be doing a couple of tri's this spring

I will be here cheering ya'll on. I hope ya'll have an enjoyable injury free IM experience, training and the race itself. Enjoy the ride!

God Bless Ya'll All and Merry Christmas and have a GREAT 2014! I'll be in touch!
2013-12-23 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Losing weigh is overrated!  Especially this time of year, my wife is from a traditional polish family and there is nothing healthy about a polish diet but it is yummy! 

I wish I had time to get in that much bike time, currently I am lucky to get in 1 ride a week, and normally do a long ride that really beats me up.  Last week was sufferfest Local Hero, and this week was sufferfest ISLAGIATT.  I only made it half way through the ride and had to call it quits because of time constraints, but this is a really hard workout, I am looking forward to doing the entire thing but need to get some more hours in 1st.   I do plan on doing the ToS at the end of January so I should probably start planning for that.

Running continues to be my focus with the holiday running streak.  Ran 12 on Sunday and felt pretty good, lower legs were a little beat up but nothing major.  I have been averaging 30 mpw which should help as the trail season starts up in January.  I'm really looking forward to the races as they are extremely challenging and some are scheduled for Saturday/Sunday which adds in a extra challenge.  The shortest one is 8 miles and I believe the longest is 14, GOOD TIMES!

2013-12-23 12:10 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

NH

I will be here cheering ya'll on. I hope ya'll have an enjoyable injury free IM experience, training and the race itself. Enjoy the ride!

God Bless Ya'll All and Merry Christmas and have a GREAT 2014! I'll be in touch!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. This sport has to be FUN, or it's not worth doing! Definitely enjoy your son - I know that same feeling as my two oldest are a junior and a freshman and I'm sad that the days are dwindling.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I know I've enjoyed having you in the group. Feel free to poke your head in and let us know how you're doing.
2013-12-23 1:45 PM

User image

Oh, KARL - NOOOOOO!!!   Don't leave!!!  .      Seriously, though, I'll miss your input  - your posts always put a smile on my face with your southern twang.    I  totally support your decision and wish you the best that life has to give in your endeavors.  You've got a great wife and son and I pray you enjoy your time with them before your son is out of the house.   As Warren said, this is all supposed to be fun.   I commend your decision to keep it just that.   Blessings to you, my friend! 

2013-12-23 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Hey Gang - Sorry for disappearing again over the last couple weeks. I was on this pretty intense deadline here at work and once I was almost done I came down with a pretty bad cold. The job is now out the door but the cold is hanging on. I guess it was a good excuse to take another week off running to try and let the shins heal up completely. With the exception of taking the dog on a couple of walks and a one Kung Fu class I’ve been giving my legs a rest this past week. My ribs seem to have healed up as well so once this cold is gone I’ll start my slow build towards next race season.

I’ve caught up on a few of the recent posts and I see that we’ve been archived. I’d like to stick with the group for next season. I’m hoping to do my first Olympic and then my first Half Ironman next summer, so I’m sure I’ll need the support of this group to get there.

Karl – I’m sorry to see you stepping away from the group, but I completely understand your reasons. I’ve really enjoyed you being part of the Junkies. Definitely don’t be a stranger, and please let us know how your Masters swim and the upcoming HM go.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by JonnyVero 2013-12-23 2:26 PM

2013-12-23 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Hey Junkies! This is a hard post for me but I will be leaving the Junkies. I have already notified Dirk. I want ya'll all to know that this group is AWESOME!!!! I was so fortunate to find this group to start with. Ya'll taught me what T-1 and T-2 was, about clipless pedals, how to run injury free (hope it continues).
The only reason I'm leaving is most people here are planning on doing an IM and my hat is off to everyone doing one. IM is he reason I got invloved in tri's to start with. Tony, thank you for letting my tag along w/ your journey! Man that was a fun journey! However, I need to be w/ people at my fitness level.

I am not saying bye because I'll send ya'll e-mails and even stalk the group and cheer ya'll on!

So what is in plan for me this coming 2014. I would like to take some pressure off and enjoy life more. Work, rentals, baseball w/ son, and worrying about the swim at the tri is pressure. I want to spend more time w/ wife and son as he is a sophmore so i know I just have a couple of years left w/ him before he goes off to school.

I've signed up for the Master's Swim to start the year off. I will be doing a HM in Early Feb. and leaving for a week for work the same day after the HM, see there is a lot going on. There is also a 30K coming up in January I think. I will be doing a couple of tri's this spring

Karl I'm really sorry to see you leave the group but I totally understand. At the end of the day we are all doing this to have fun, be active and stay heathly. Spending time with your family is far more important then this and I respect you for choosing to try and take advantage of that. I'm definitely going to miss having you around here. I have to agree with Brenda you have a great sense of humor and always made me laugh with the stories that you've shared with us.I can't thank you enough for your help and support over the last two years.

I know I've said it a million times but you don't realize how important that was to me especially this past year's run up to the Ironman and I can't thank you enough for that. It was priviledge to share the journey with you and everyone else here. You've contributed quite a bit to the group and you'll be missed. Like Warren said drop in from time to time and let us know how you are doing and please stay in touch. Good luck on with the Masters swim class and your upcoming races for 2014. I wish you, Pam and your family and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
2013-12-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I had my first TT on a computrainer today (or at least since the indoor triathlon a couple of years ago.  My average in Feb. 2012 was 270 watts over the 20 minute time event.  Today was 272 watts over 25:45, not a markedly improved number on the surface.  However, the preceding 7 days I rode 7.5 hours and had one day away from cycling.  Some of the efforts were hard and one of the rides was a moderate ride.

I suppose if I took a little bit of time to recover from my rides before going into one of these TT's I might be able to make a little better showing.  I am planning to do another of these rides in about a month and I'll plan to take a couple of days to recover before I test again.

Another side note:  When I got my new KK trainer I tested on very tired legs to get some power numbers to work with.  Those numbers happen to line up very closely with the computrainer today.  My FTP according to TR is 273 compared to my 272 today everything looks like I'm close.  I'll see what I get on my next test to make a better comparison.

I also need to do some more study on power.  For instance: I would like to be better informed as to why I can generate 272 watts and ride about 1 minute faster than another rider hitting the same average watts.  Homework for me!

2013-12-24 1:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Karl, take care and make sure to check in every once in awhile. Enjoy everyday, because as someone once said, tomorrow is not guaranteed!

!

Dirk, I wonder if body weight has much to do with the ability to ride faster? Last year when I was doing the winter routine with a buddy of mine we routinely tested around the same FTP, I even went higher on occasion. But to this day he still smokes my a@@ when the money is on the line. I fully believe it has something to do with the 30lbs I have on him and at equal power it takes more to move me then it does him. Food for thought!

on a final note! Merry Christmas to all the junkies! I hope you all have a wonderful few days and spend as much time with family as possible. I know I will as I leave for Toledo tomorrow and from there it is family dinner and gathering one after another. I think on minimum there will be around 300-400 miles of traveling going on, and I would trade it for anything!
2013-12-24 5:33 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I woke up extra early today to go to the gym to swim before I head into work only to realize they don't open until 7 because of Christmas eve
So i was able to get caught up on the past 3 weeks!

You have all been putting in some great training congrats on that!!
I want to definitely hang in with this group, you have all become more than training support for me and I am looking forward to this next year,I always tell people it is funny how people I have never met (except for Tony & Brenda) are always there with really great advice and support.

Karl we are going to miss you!!! as said before I always love to read your posts with your added humor. Time with your family is most important, it is amazing to me how quickly time flies, Good luck with the Masters swimming and by the way Congrats on the 16 mile run you did the other day!!! Make sure you drop in and let us know how things are going for you!

I think i may have forgotten to mention my youngest got engaged a couple weeks ago so another wedding is in our future
Justin Maria and Gabi will spend the night tonight which means we get a little one on Christmas morning the rest of the kids will be here most of the day Breakfast, lunch and dinner so i probably wont get a chance to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!!
2013-12-24 6:11 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks for all comments Junkies, I'm going to be stalking ya'll as ya'll will always be family to me. I better not check in and see any of ya'll slacking...lol

Hey Merry Christmas, enjoy time with family and those of ya'll traveling, please be careful and I hope ya'll have a Happy New Year!

2013-12-24 6:24 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos Dirk, I wonder if body weight has much to do with the ability to ride faster? Last year when I was doing the winter routine with a buddy of mine we routinely tested around the same FTP, I even went higher on occasion. But to this day he still smokes my a@@ when the money is on the line. I fully believe it has something to do with the 30lbs I have on him and at equal power it takes more to move me then it does him. Food for thought! on a final note! Merry Christmas to all the junkies! I hope you all have a wonderful few days and spend as much time with family as possible. I know I will as I leave for Toledo tomorrow and from there it is family dinner and gathering one after another. I think on minimum there will be around 300-400 miles of traveling going on, and I would trade it for anything!

Weight is a major contributor to how much power is required to roll the wheels on your bike.  They weighed my bike before I began the test to calculate my wattage more correctly.  My bike as it was 5 minutes before the TT was 26 pounds.  I was asked my weight and height as well.  Upon finishing the TT I was told it put me in the lead for those that have ridden the course.  What got me thinking about the power to weight ratio was that I am tied in watts with another person but I beat his time by a minute.  I was told he was a much bigger than I am and that my time was faster.

Anyway, that was the long version of "you are correct Matt."

I remember the days of traveling form house to house on Christmas and I have to be honest, I DO NOT miss them.  My word!!!  All of the food and the expectation of being somewhere at a certain time.  It seemed like a lot of pressure.  It was a lot of pressure!  But I would have to say most of it was probably self imposed.  I now feel that my mom would have been fine had we decided to come a different day rather than cram everything into one huge day.  We were always rushed and hardly able to sit down before heading to the next feast and mom could sense that.  She finally began to tell me to wait a day and come to her house.

All of that pattern changed once we had a family of our own though.  I was very firm in my decision to have Christmas with our girls in our home.  No more gallivanting around the state of Ohio, etc.  We were home!  To celebrate Christmas with our new family and begin our own traditions.

.......Off to run with a friend this morning.....7 degrees and -7 wind chills.  This should be awesome!!

2013-12-24 7:23 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by mambos Dirk, I wonder if body weight has much to do with the ability to ride faster? Last year when I was doing the winter routine with a buddy of mine we routinely tested around the same FTP, I even went higher on occasion. But to this day he still smokes my a@@ when the money is on the line. I fully believe it has something to do with the 30lbs I have on him and at equal power it takes more to move me then it does him. Food for thought! on a final note! Merry Christmas to all the junkies! I hope you all have a wonderful few days and spend as much time with family as possible. I know I will as I leave for Toledo tomorrow and from there it is family dinner and gathering one after another. I think on minimum there will be around 300-400 miles of traveling going on, and I would trade it for anything!

Weight is a major contributor to how much power is required to roll the wheels on your bike.  They weighed my bike before I began the test to calculate my wattage more correctly.  My bike as it was 5 minutes before the TT was 26 pounds.  I was asked my weight and height as well.  Upon finishing the TT I was told it put me in the lead for those that have ridden the course.  What got me thinking about the power to weight ratio was that I am tied in watts with another person but I beat his time by a minute.  I was told he was a much bigger than I am and that my time was faster.

Anyway, that was the long version of "you are correct Matt."

I remember the days of traveling form house to house on Christmas and I have to be honest, I DO NOT miss them.  My word!!!  All of the food and the expectation of being somewhere at a certain time.  It seemed like a lot of pressure.  It was a lot of pressure!  But I would have to say most of it was probably self imposed.  I now feel that my mom would have been fine had we decided to come a different day rather than cram everything into one huge day.  We were always rushed and hardly able to sit down before heading to the next feast and mom could sense that.  She finally began to tell me to wait a day and come to her house.

All of that pattern changed once we had a family of our own though.  I was very firm in my decision to have Christmas with our girls in our home.  No more gallivanting around the state of Ohio, etc.  We were home!  To celebrate Christmas with our new family and begin our own traditions.

.......Off to run with a friend this morning.....7 degrees and -7 wind chills.  This should be awesome!!

Dirk you riding has been incredible but running outside in those temps sounds a bit miserable!

I am feeling the holiday pressure for sure. On top of running around to our family celebrations we also take a trip once a year for my daughter to visit with her birth mother & birth family. Hubby and I were talking last night about how much extra stress this adds to our holiday. No offense to B.M. but being crammed into a college apartment that does not even have enough chairs for everyone to sit down and watching my kids sit on the floor to eat does not make for a pleasant holiday memory.

I had planned to go swim this morning but I am just not feeling it mostly due to the 40 min drive one way. But I think I would feel a lot better if I would go.

2013-12-24 9:00 AM

User image

NH

I had my first TT on a computrainer today (or at least since the indoor triathlon a couple of years ago.  My average in Feb. 2012 was 270 watts over the 20 minute time event.  Today was 272 watts over 25:45, not a markedly improved number on the surface.  However, the preceding 7 days I rode 7.5 hours and had one day away from cycling.  Some of the efforts were hard and one of the rides was a moderate ride.

I suppose if I took a little bit of time to recover from my rides before going into one of these TT's I might be able to make a little better showing.  I am planning to do another of these rides in about a month and I'll plan to take a couple of days to recover before I test again.

Another side note:  When I got my new KK trainer I tested on very tired legs to get some power numbers to work with.  Those numbers happen to line up very closely with the computrainer today.  My FTP according to TR is 273 compared to my 272 today everything looks like I'm close.  I'll see what I get on my next test to make a better comparison.

I also need to do some more study on power.  For instance: I would like to be better informed as to why I can generate 272 watts and ride about 1 minute faster than another rider hitting the same average watts.  Homework for me!

As you have found, power isn't the only factor which the computrainer uses to calculate speed. Weight, height, not sure what else. And remember, speed in the "real" world will be MUCH more affected by the aero-ness of you and your set up, particularly if the courses you race on are mostly flat. On a reasonably flat course, the rolling resistance and aero effects absolutely dwarf the weight factor. Another wild card is that the power numbers for an individual might be different in different positions.

And a nitpick detail - if that 20 minute effort was all out, your FTP is estimated to be .95 x that number. And that would only be an estimate since everyone has differing power curves. It's more accurate to use either an all out one hour effort, or the output you are routinely generating on long intervals in training. A one hour effort is brutal and nearly impossible to test regularly, so the 20 minute test (or intervals in training), is probably a better real life indicator.

The real key is to improve at whatever testing protocol you use. I know you know this, but for the benefit of everyone - FTP is very useful for correctly targeting interval efforts, and also for estimating race target watts. But I also think it's important to maintain a good connection with RPE/feeling and the power meter.

Don't get me started on power geekery!
2013-12-24 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I hope all the Junkies have a safe and Merry Christmas spending time with your families and friends. Also safe travels for anyone who has to make the rounds to visit family and friends on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Dirk I can so relate to your post about running around on Christmas and Christmas Eve when my children were younger. My in laws were divorced so we had to make three stops over two days and try to have some type of Christmas morning with our kids. Not for nothing but I never enjoyed doing that I don't miss rushing and running around like that. I was always stressed out trying to please everyone and never really enjoyed the holiday as much as I should have. Thankfully we'll only be going out tonight to celebrate with our extended family and tomorrow we'll be home enjoying Christmas day together at home.

Good discussion on training with power and what exactly those numbers mean. Dirk I think that is a pretty solid number especially since you've not been well rested before performing the test. I think you'd probably be able to put up a higher number given your legs were a little more rested. I also agree with you guys in regards to weight, no doubt the less you weight the faster you'll go at a given number of watts. Also good points by Warren there are many factors to take into consideration when it comes to breaking down the power numbers and what they mean but I think you'd all agree it is probably the best way to measure your progress when training and racing.

I'm hoping the Sun makes a cameo appreance today. I'm planning on either a run or a MTN bike ride this afternoon. Not sure which but I'll be doing something later on.

2013-12-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

NH
Originally posted by Jo63

I woke up extra early today to go to the gym to swim before I head into work only to realize they don't open until 7 because of Christmas eve
So i was able to get caught up on the past 3 weeks!

You have all been putting in some great training congrats on that!!
I want to definitely hang in with this group, you have all become more than training support for me and I am looking forward to this next year,I always tell people it is funny how people I have never met (except for Tony & Brenda) are always there with really great advice and support.

I think i may have forgotten to mention my youngest got engaged a couple weeks ago so another wedding is in our future
Justin Maria and Gabi will spend the night tonight which means we get a little one on Christmas morning the rest of the kids will be here most of the day Breakfast, lunch and dinner so i probably wont get a chance to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!!

Sorry to hear about the swimming, but huge congrats on the wedding! If I remember correctly your youngest is a son, so there's no breaking the bank, correct?

I'll probably be on a bit, but Merry Christmas to you all as well!

2013-12-24 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Hey friends, I've been checked out the last couple months of the year but have read all posts. Here are my thoughts (short and sweet):

1. Karl, I'll miss you brother.
2. I'm in for next year. Dont know my goals yet. Would love another shot at IM distance to try and go sub-13 hours, but dont think that's going to happen. May try for a HIM... we'll see. My schedule is going to be crazy... will be out of the country on 3 different international mission trips, then have another 4-5 trips in the states... so busy year for me and hard to keep training flowing with all those interruptions.
3. I got over 4,000 miles on the bike and am very happy about that. We need to post our yearly totals next week!
4. I've been eating VERY poorly. Of course, I did all year... but IM training definitely masks it (concerning weight).
5. For any here considering ANY distance race, I will speak from exp doing every tri distance now... if you follow a good training plan, you WILL finish the distance... simple as that. If you're unsure about your ability, start the training plan before signing up... there are some races that dont fill up until a month or two out.
6. I love Dirk.
2013-12-24 7:26 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
7. Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!!!!!!
2013-12-25 5:43 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Merry Christmas Junkies!  May the day be filled with joy and laughter, memories and remembrance.  I pray all of you and your families with enjoy your day and create a lifetime of memories.

2013-12-25 7:01 AM

User image

Bronze member

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114