BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-01-01 7:24 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED

Originally posted by trigal38

Happy New Year Junkies!

Happy New Year to you and all of the other Junkies!

2014-01-01 11:49 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Happy New Year everybody!

2014-01-01 4:40 PM

User image

NH
I created a trainerroad team for the junkies:

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/445-asphalt-junkies

It's private, so I might have to approve members after they join.
2014-01-02 5:22 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by wbayek

I created a trainerroad team for the junkies:

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/445-asphalt-junkies

It's private, so I might have to approve members after they join.

now that you posted this my interest is peaked, and you know how i am with technology and gadgets
I am not sure I have the proper equipment, I have the KK trainer and got the KK computer but it is not the inride, also do you view from your computer ? or do you connect a cable from your computer to view on the TV
2014-01-02 7:10 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

In order for Trainer Road to work properly you need an ANT+ device (such as a Garmin 305, 310 or 910) or a Bluetooth device such as the KK Inride or Wahoo speed sensor.  (Other brands or models would work but they must have either a ANT+ or Bluetooth system to work properly.)  You must also have a speed/cadence sensor to measure the speed at your back tire.  These can be purchased for about $40 on eBay or Amazon and are fairly easy to install.

I do not believe there is any way to install a cable tethered device to the computer for use on TR.

A little bit of a seals pitch for TR from me...... TR, or other similar training systems, provide tremendous benefit in that you can test (8 minute or 20 minute) and begin to use very accurate power numbers to train with.  Power isn't like HR training where your HR can change for a variety of reasons at any given time.  With power you will have consistent targets for each ride regardless of fatigue during the current ride or fatigue over a training cycle.  Once you have established your FTP (functional threshold power) the numbers automatically appear in your rides.  It really is a piece of cake to use and see measurable results over time.

2014-01-02 8:02 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by DirkP

In order for Trainer Road to work properly you need an ANT+ device (such as a Garmin 305, 310 or 910) or a Bluetooth device such as the KK Inride or Wahoo speed sensor.  (Other brands or models would work but they must have either a ANT+ or Bluetooth system to work properly.)  You must also have a speed/cadence sensor to measure the speed at your back tire.  These can be purchased for about $40 on eBay or Amazon and are fairly easy to install.

I do not believe there is any way to install a cable tethered device to the computer for use on TR.

A little bit of a seals pitch for TR from me...... TR, or other similar training systems, provide tremendous benefit in that you can test (8 minute or 20 minute) and begin to use very accurate power numbers to train with.  Power isn't like HR training where your HR can change for a variety of reasons at any given time.  With power you will have consistent targets for each ride regardless of fatigue during the current ride or fatigue over a training cycle.  Once you have established your FTP (functional threshold power) the numbers automatically appear in your rides.  It really is a piece of cake to use and see measurable results over time.

You actually don't need a Garmin watch or reception device to use tranerroad. You just need the "sending" ANT+ unit, which can be either a true power meter or a speed/cadence (or just speed) sensor and then an ANT+ usb device for your computer, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10999-00-USB-Ant-Stick/dp/B000UO9K...

If anyone is really interested and wants to use trainerroad and sign up, I actually have a Garmin speed/cadence sensor that I'm not using since I went to the power meter. PM me and I can send it out to you.

2014-01-02 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Correct Warren.  I guess I use both so I can download all of my data to my BT log.  I have used TR without my Garmin before but I didn't like the lack of data in my BT log since that is my primary tracking tool for all of my training.

2014-01-02 5:24 PM

User image

Bronze member

You actually don't need a Garmin watch or reception device to use tranerroad. You just need the "sending" ANT+ unit, which can be either a true power meter or a speed/cadence (or just speed) sensor and then an ANT+ usb device for your computer, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10999-00-USB-Ant-Stick/dp/B000UO9K... If anyone is really interested and wants to use trainerroad and sign up, I actually have a Garmin speed/cadence sensor that I'm not using since I went to the power meter. PM me and I can send it out to you.

Warren I'll buy that from you. I have one but it has never worked right. The cadence registers but speed is a mess. I just spent time today putting it on my Raleigh and again it drops the speed. I know I'm not techy but it's not that complicated to put this thing on. I'm starting to think my speed sensor just doesn't work right. Let me know if it is still available. Right now I'm on the trainer  and my Garmin keeps switching from auto pause to resume over and over every couple of seconds - and it beeps every time. If I were on the road I swear I would run over it by now!

2014-01-02 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Happy New year guys, hope everyone got time to relax and spend time with family. I got lots of time with family however not so much for the relaxing. With an 18 month old and a pile of family to visit it was pretty crazy. But it's done now and it's time to get down to some serious training!
2014-01-02 7:40 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
So I tried checking out the trainer road team page and keep getting an error. Tried safari and chrome, anyone else having issues?
2014-01-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well I guess if it is in print, then it is official... I am in over my head!

http://www.orrrc.org/index.php/orrrc-events/august/69-possum-creek-...

2014-01-03 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

You actually don't need a Garmin watch or reception device to use tranerroad. You just need the "sending" ANT+ unit, which can be either a true power meter or a speed/cadence (or just speed) sensor and then an ANT+ usb device for your computer, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10999-00-USB-Ant-Stick/dp/B000UO9K... If anyone is really interested and wants to use trainerroad and sign up, I actually have a Garmin speed/cadence sensor that I'm not using since I went to the power meter. PM me and I can send it out to you.

Warren I'll buy that from you. I have one but it has never worked right. The cadence registers but speed is a mess. I just spent time today putting it on my Raleigh and again it drops the speed. I know I'm not techy but it's not that complicated to put this thing on. I'm starting to think my speed sensor just doesn't work right. Let me know if it is still available. Right now I'm on the trainer  and my Garmin keeps switching from auto pause to resume over and over every couple of seconds - and it beeps every time. If I were on the road I swear I would run over it by now!

It sounds like your watch is still trying to pick up a satellite signal.  This same thing has happened to me when I forget to turn off the setting before a ride.  Also, you have to turn it off each time the watch is shut off.  For instance, if you ride/run inside, turn the watch off and decide to go for another ride/run inside you'll need to turn the setting off again.  That's the only reason I can think of for auto pause to continually occur.  If it is and you can't remember how to do it......Mode>GPS>Status  You can turn it off from there and hopefully that will fix your problem.

One other thing to check for the speed dropping off is the tightness of the spoke magnet.  During my set up on my road bike earlier this off season I was having similar issues.  I believe, after MUCH frustration, I figured out that the magnet was just loose enough to slide closer to the rim when going above 20MPH.  I began to take a closer look at the sensors and magnets and it appeared the magnet had moved slightly.  The location change was just enough that a quick glance at the magnet and sensor appeared to be fine but a closer look seemed to indicate otherwise.

2014-01-03 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos So I tried checking out the trainer road team page and keep getting an error. Tried safari and chrome, anyone else having issues?

I can get to the page and see the members but I can't see any rides logged from my account.  One reason I may net be able to see the rides logged is that I have only ridden once since joining the team and that ride isn't even showing up in my career on TR.  I was planning to wait until I had a ride that was in my TR log before I began asking questions but since you're already asking.........I'm having issues.

2014-01-03 7:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

Thanks for the tips Dirk. I'll spend some time messing with it all today. Yesterday I was getting ready for a 2 hour trainer ride and just wanted to get it over with already so I didn't want to spend a bunch of extra time on the other stuff.

The good news is I finished the Sufferfest download - ISLAGIATT and I can tell you, about half way through it didn't seem like a good idea at all anymore! It was hard hard work just trying to match the cadence prescribed in the video. My legs were burning and I thought about quitting more than once. When it came to the "downhills" where the cycling guys are coasting and we're supposed to keep it easy but cadence of 100 - I just ignored that and went with a cadence that helped to bring my HR down a little. Matt and Brenda what other Sufferfest downloads do you have that you really like? I have Hell Hath No Fury already and another one that is all little sprint intervals that I will probably never do again.

Now I really want to swim today but hubby is not  thrilled with the idea of me driving on these icy roads for 35 miles so I'm not sure.

Matt I kept looking at that race thinking what is the big deal, he has run lots farther then a 5k...`then I saw the race directors . Sounds like a fun race, good luck!

Edited by trigal38 2014-01-03 7:24 AM
2014-01-03 7:26 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Happy New year guys, hope everyone got time to relax and spend time with family. I got lots of time with family however not so much for the relaxing. With an 18 month old and a pile of family to visit it was pretty crazy. But it's done now and it's time to get down to some serious training!

Good to hear from you!

2014-01-03 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I was lucky the one time I attempted ISLAGIATT, my dog ran through and crashed my laptop 1 hour into the ride and I didn't feel like resetting everything. The other videos I have are "The Wretched" which is 49 minutes of torcher and "The Local Hero" which I really like! It's 1:20 and really works you. I plan on doing the entire Tour at the end of January which should be fun! I'm with you in the 30s intervals videos, kind of pointless!

2014-01-03 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

Well I guess if it is in print, then it is official... I am in over my head!

http://www.orrrc.org/index.php/orrrc-events/august/69-possum-creek-...

Congrats Mr. Race Director! I'm sure you guys will do a great job overseeing this race.
2014-01-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek good to see you checking in and hope you had a great holiday.

Just checking in here man we got hammered with this snow storm. I think by the time it's all done we'll have 10 to 12 inches of snow. Thankfully I got out on New Year's day for a MTN bike ride. I don't think I'll be getting one in this weekend. I took yesterday off from working out and probably the same today. I doubt I'll be wanting to do any workout after the all the shoveling I am going to have to do at lunch. I already did plenty digging paths out to the yard and then around some of the yard for the dog. Not looking forward to this at all, this will be my workout for the day I'm sure.
2014-01-03 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Well, I finally did my timed 100 yards in the pool for a shot at a PR.  Although I have never tried, that I remember, something this short for a PR because there's little triathlon benefit to knowing what I can swim very short distances I thought it would be good for a motivational reference point. 

I did my normal warm up of 1,000 yards free style and 200 kick before launching into the TT.  Then after a 1 minute recovery I launched from the wall ( I would like to see what I could do from the blocks sometime).  I tried to stay long and technical for the first 50 but I knew the second 50 would require a bit more focus.  As I finished my first 50 I was already beginning to feel the burn of my pace.  The second 50 was harder and less technically strong as I could feel my stroke rate increase and my technique suffer from shorter stroke length.....

I pulled into the wall and immediately looked at my watch as I drew my right hand up to hit the lap button.....1:09:?? was on the display.  The recorded time was 1:11.2.  It would appear I have met what I suppose is somewhat of a milestone in my swimming.  I may try it again in a week or so to see if I can better the time by a shade.  I don't expect much of a change but I felt as if I may have been able to go a little harder and cut another second off.

This time brings me a little bit closer to that longstanding (about 3 years) goal to get a 100 yard swim to 1:00 or less...............I still have a long way to go!

Edited by DirkP 2014-01-03 3:01 PM
2014-01-03 6:07 PM

User image

Bronze member

Tony good luck shoveling! That is a tough workout no doubt about it. Sounds like we are in for it here coming up this weekend too.

Dirk congrats - smokin fast!

2014-01-04 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk x2 that is pretty fast time, you keep swimming like that and those times are going to keep coming down. Nice workout.

Dina good luck with the bad weather heading your way. I spent several hours clearing the driveway and cars yesterday. I also dug out paths around and across the yard for the dog. She loves the snow and makes her own paths so I'm not sure why I bothered. It was a good workout and not as bad as I thought it would be.

The cold is worse than the snow though it was -2 degrees here this morning. It's supposed to be 40 tomorrow and we have rain on the way so after getting 8.5 inches of snow it's going to be a big mess here when that happens. They are also saying it will drop back down to single digits on Tuesday, can't say I'm looking forward to that. So needless to say MTN biking is out this weekend. I will probably hit the trainer today and the treadmill tomorrow. I'd like to run outdoors but I'll have to see about that.

2014-01-04 12:42 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Good morning Junkies - I did the first race of the Frosty Fun Run series this morning. Because of a cold this was my first run in 3 weeks since the Christmas Dash 5k. 
I started out easy and tried to pick it up each mile. 9:26, 9:06, 8:38, then fell off to 9:16. The last .236 was at a 8:39 average, so I did have a little kick left for the end. 
Overall I was disappointed at how tough this run felt. I did this same race last year at about a 8:55 pace while running with a friend and I remember it being much easier. I need to get healthy again. As a health side note; I had no shin pain today at all! My right calf did threaten to cramp up after the finish but I spent several minutes stretching and it eventually loosened up. I had a pretty bad coughing fit after the finish too.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

2014-01-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Originally posted by JonnyVero

Good morning Junkies - I did the first race of the Frosty Fun Run series this morning. Because of a cold this was my first run in 3 weeks since the Christmas Dash 5k. 
I started out easy and tried to pick it up each mile. 9:26, 9:06, 8:38, then fell off to 9:16. The last .236 was at a 8:39 average, so I did have a little kick left for the end. 
Overall I was disappointed at how tough this run felt. I did this same race last year at about a 8:55 pace while running with a friend and I remember it being much easier. I need to get healthy again. As a health side note; I had no shin pain today at all! My right calf did threaten to cramp up after the finish but I spent several minutes stretching and it eventually loosened up. I had a pretty bad coughing fit after the finish too.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Looks like a good race to me, anytime you can continually pick up speed across a 5K your headed in the right direction.  I am always the opposite, bust out of the gate with the sprinters and finish in a crawl!  Normally around a 30-45s drop in pace from mile 1 to mile 3.

Tony, I hear you on the weather.  We had 6 inches of snow the other day then it dropped to -4, warming up to 30 today and tomorrow so we can receive another 10 inches of snow before we drop to a high of -8 on Monday and tuesday.  This is just ridiculously cold and I don't even want to leave the house.  

Dirk, I didn't think they allowed motors in the pool?  This are some crazy fast times, i think I am only about 75s behind

2014-01-04 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for the tips Dirk. I'll spend some time messing with it all today. Yesterday I was getting ready for a 2 hour trainer ride and just wanted to get it over with already so I didn't want to spend a bunch of extra time on the other stuff.

The good news is I finished the Sufferfest download - ISLAGIATT and I can tell you, about half way through it didn't seem like a good idea at all anymore! It was hard hard work just trying to match the cadence prescribed in the video. My legs were burning and I thought about quitting more than once. When it came to the "downhills" where the cycling guys are coasting and we're supposed to keep it easy but cadence of 100 - I just ignored that and went with a cadence that helped to bring my HR down a little. Matt and Brenda what other Sufferfest downloads do you have that you really like? I have Hell Hath No Fury already and another one that is all little sprint intervals that I will probably never do again.

Now I really want to swim today but hubby is not  thrilled with the idea of me driving on these icy roads for 35 miles so I'm not sure.

Matt I kept looking at that race thinking what is the big deal, he has run lots farther then a 5k...`then I saw the race directors . Sounds like a fun race, good luck!

I really like Local Hero and There is No Try. Blender is pretty tough and the end of Fight Club is just about the most horrible experience I've ever had in my life........but I mean in a good way.
2014-01-04 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Vero great job on the race. I gotta agree with Matt, I think you did a pretty good job of pacing yourself. More importantly not having the shin pain after the run is a good sign. All things considered you can't be too disappointed especially with the shin splints limiting your ability to run. Hopefully you're good to go, healthy and running pain free. I'm sure you'll improve on your time for the rest of the race series as you get back to being able to run with more frequency.

Matt I hear you on the weather, stay warm and I hope you get warmer weather and less snow then they're predicting.

So I decided not to do anything today in the way of a workout. I actually caught up and went over the outseason plan that I was going to start on Monday. I'm glad I did as I got myself up to speed on the Endurance Nation plan. I will officialy start the IMMT training tomorrow with the bike testing. On the one hand I'm not looking forward to the pain and suffering that is sure to come , on the other hand I've had way too much time off and am ready to get back to business and be training with a purpose. I'm curious to see if and how much progress I've made over last season as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114