BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-11-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN
Crissy sounds like a very cool job. I understand about your kids activities keeping you on the run. The last two weekends I've been at little league wrestling tournaments from daylight to dark on Saturday with my 6y/o. I coach Jr high and High School wrestling and I miss so many of my sons tournaments because I'm off somewhere with the older boys that I make sure I go to my sons on all my off weekends. When I'm gone with the High School wrestlers my wife takes my son and I'm constantly having to text back and forth with her to get updates on how he is doing.

On my career I'm a Middle school Counselor, Jr High and High School assistant wrestling coach (and volunteer my time to the little league wrestling program when I have free time) and I'm also the Psychometrist for the entire school district. So I wear many hats in my school district but I enjoy each one of them.

2013-11-17 4:41 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Veteran
Both of your careers sound very interesting to me! I am a financial translator, mostly working with large German companies and a variety of material from annual reports to presentations, corporate guidelines, press releases, etc. I love it mostly, it really is suited to me and is fairly flexible, but the lack of any face-to-face contact with my associates has taken some getting used to. I miss having the office environment and those relationships.

Wow, it's been 2 weeks since the marathon, and like you Crissy, I have also sunken into a bit of a training funk. I think I was on a bit of a high there for a while, and now I need to refocus on my life, family, work and figure out what I want to train for.

Terry, as always, your schedule is both awe-inspiring and a little bit daunting! I can't imagine having that kind of constant pressure on me, much less the physical exertion.

I had been yearning to do a longer distance triathlon next year, and we do have one that is very local to me (so local I could ride my bike there!) that offers a half distance. So... I am toying with the idea of signing up for that.
2013-11-18 3:46 AM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Well... the long November bike rides are over.... I just finished a weekend in Clermont doing many hills during the Horrible Hundred. I did a 50 mile ride on Saturday and a 30 mile ride on Sunday before heading home. My legs are toast... they burned so much i need to give them a break for a few days..... I have a weekend of family events next weekend before the Marathon on December 1, and the 25k on December 15 and have rearranged my schedule to delete the bike fest on Dec. 9 and insert a training/familiarization ride for the bike course for January's race.

• .. my first job is a father... I am band dad and a scout dad. My Son plays percussion and french horn (not at the same time) in the marching band and concert band and is working towards his eagle scout. By profession I am a criminal defense attorney, Federal and State. I do a lot of trial work. I am doing several appeals also. I spend much time in courtrooms every week.

• I've been really work busy lately and really tired after the long bike rides...but recently: The keto diet is amazing... My energy is soaring. I'm down to 171... dropped 14.5 pounds in three weeks and am pretty much at my race weight. I am learning new recipies to keep it interesting. I made a tire to pull behind me when I run to build core strength and hamstring/glute muscles. I'm finalizing my race my schedule for next year and should have my training plan in place by mid December. I'm considering the June 8th USAT Long Course National Championship in Grand Rapids Michigan event as my A race....so.. depending on the lottery for the NYC Tri... I'll be traveling to New Jersey (6/29) and New York (8/3) but I am also a husband and my wife keeps looking at me like I'm crazy although she has started working out and running again... so that's good. I am fortunate a blessed to have a wife who lets me train and race and seems to "get it" when it comes to stuff like that...

2013-11-26 1:05 PM
    in reply to: tmoons

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Happy thanksgiving everybody.
    I was selected to do the NYC Triathlon again in 2014.

I am thankful for having all of you to talk to during this triathlon training.
    You all make it much more enjoyable.

Happy thanksgiving everybody.
    2013-11-28 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on getting back into NYC tri!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    2013-12-01 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Ran Space Coast Marathon today. Net time was 5:09:04 pace was 11:44.
    I felt pretty good. was able to keep pace a little better than I had imagined.
    No bonking, did not hit a wall.... Felt legs tightening around 23 miles, but ran through it.
    At mile 6, I Joined a Galloway pace group at a 2:30/1 run/walk split. I was hesitant about joining them,
    but was quite satisfied with the experience.

2013-12-01 7:27 PM

User image

New user
    Hello Everyone!
    It sounds like all of you are very busy doing awesome training and also just awesome off-season workouts. I have been doing a lot of lifting, spin classes, running (did 6 miles yesterday!), and also my hubby and I were able to ride 7.4 mi. on Friday and 26 mi. yesterday (so I essentially got a bit of a brick workout in yesterday!). He has been amazing. He has been getting out to ride a few days a week. I am so proud of him, even if it is only 7 miles or so at a time. I love that we can go out and ride together. He is planning on the both of us riding BRAN (Bike Ride Across Nebraska) next June together. I have done ridden BRAN 3x's but all BC (before children). So, it will be a different experience riding with a spouse and being about 18 years older! We also purchased an indoor trainer. I haven't hooked it up to my bike yet, as we have still been able to get out and ride outside. My husband also was so sweet to take my bike in to the shop to get it worked on, as it needed new chain, and brake cables. In the end, a few other things were replaced and now I feel like I have a new bike!

I need to say Congratulations to you all for various races and such that I have been reading about in this forum. Great job! In a way I am jealous that you are all still doing races, but then I am not because I am really enjoying the "not racing" part and just getting in some good workouts. I am starting to plan which races I want to do next year. I don't think i will do the Papillion Tri again. I do think I am going to do the Omaha Women's Tri again, though, as now I have a better idea of what to expect and it was a blast. I have goals higher than, "just to finish" now that I have completed a few sprint tris. I may see how my ankle feels if I step up my running milage, and go from there on deciding to do a tri longer than a sprint.

Question: I have heard that it is recommended to get different tires specific to trainer purposes to use on indoor trainers. Is this because the tires wear out faster? Noise? or both? Is it ok to use the bike tires I have on the bike until I get trainer tires? I just got new tires last summer and I don't really want to ruin them.

Oh, someone asked what our professions were. I am a resource teacher. Basically, I am a special education teacher, however, I don't only work with students that are verified with a disability. I work in an elementary parochial school, and I am the only resource teacher for the school of about 500 students, so I keep fairly busy. I really like my job and right now it works well with my family, as I have one kid still at the same school, so that's nice to have the same schedule.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! The holiday season is upon us and our workouts are even more important as we try to maintain our weight and sanity!

2013-12-02 2:50 PM
    in reply to: themomma03

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and ate lots of turkey, pie, rolls, green bean casserole, and candied yams. :-) I know I ate enough for you all if you didn't!!

I did a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning in my husband's home town. It was great to get out there and know I started my Thanksgiving dinner with a calorie deficit. It was a pretty big run, more people than I expected. They had a 1 mile run/walk, a 2 mile run/walk and the 5 mile run. Someone said over 1,000 people do the various races. I had no desire to race, just go out for a relaxing run dressed as a Pilgrim. Discovered a friend was racing and ran the 1st mile with him so we could chat.

Like Denise, I too have a trainer. We heard from a friend of a friend he was selling his CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer, so we bought it for $100. He said he didn't use it much. I've done 2 workouts on it. I just set the computer in front of me and do a YouTube trainer workout. I was a sweaty mess both times, but it was nice to just jump on and be done with my ride while I had supper cooking upstairs.

Denise, as for the tire, I think you just need a smooth tire, not one with tread. I know they make tires specifically for the trainer which are more durable than your typical road tire. So in a nutshell, you are right about the wearing out part, but don't have to buy a tire specifically for the trainer. Now, if you have pricey tires on your bike it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap the tire our with a cheap road tire as an alternative. :-)

Terry great job on your continued racing. I still have not even thought about what races I want to do next year. I'll do some adventure races in the spring & summer. Definitely more sprint triathlons, and more cyclocross racing in the fall. I don't think I'll do the Lincoln Half Marathon next year, but that doesn't mean my running friends won't talk me into it again. My knee just doesn't do well with distances over 6-8 miles at a pop. I'll probably do a few shorter races of 10k or less.

(Turkey Trot 2013.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Turkey Trot 2013.jpg (39KB - 15 downloads)
    2013-12-11 5:33 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
    I signed up for my first triathlon of 2014 today. It's an indoor triathlon and I did it last year to get my feet wet. I'm anxious to see how I've improved since last year - or if I have. I expect my swim to be better, not as confident on the bike and run parts. Clearly it will not be as much fun as being outside racing, but considering it's only 10°F outside these days, I'm ok with being inside. :-) This will be my motivation to get back in the pool. I haven't swam since August.

I was asked to do a 4 day Adventure race in Wyoming. Yes, 4 days long, but you can take a few hours each night to rest/sleep in a sleeping bag in the wild. If it didn't cost hundreds of dollars I'd probably do it, but I just can't afford to spend $800 a race. This is the overall details of the race:
    Day 1
    15-40 miles trekking
    20-30 miles single-track biking
    10-15 miles road biking
    40-60 miles fire road biking
    Total distance = 80-115 miles

Day 2
    10-15 miles fire road biking
    30-45 miles of road biking
    12-20 miles trekking
    15-20 miles flat-water paddle
    Ropes
    Total distance = 90-100 miles

Day 3
    80-100 miles fire road biking
    15 miles white water rafting
    5-20 miles trekking
    Total distance = 100-140 miles

Day 4
    50 miles road biking
    5 miles trekking
    5 miles Class III paddling
    Total distance = 60 miles

Grand total distance = 330-400 miles
    2013-12-11 6:38 PM

User image

OMG... that Utah race is a lot of a lot!

Is it the Bryan LGH indoor tri? I'm planning on doing it this year too. Last year I was last in the swim and first on the bike I doubt I'll repeat either of those two placings this year. I took advantage of the way they scored the bike... based on total distance without considering resistance. This year its based on watts so fitness actually matters more than setting the resistance low.

I've made a pretty tough decision and decided to commit more to triathlon and am actually going to skip the Boston marathon (even though I already registered). I really hope its not something I regret someday because I think this year's Boston will be a pretty special event after last year. So my top goal now is actually the Kansas Half IM and then an IM as soon as I can get to that level with my swimming and on the bike.

2013-12-12 2:06 PM
    in reply to: Landmammal

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale

OMG... that Utah race is a lot of a lot

It certainly is... Crissy... that race is one monster effort ..... i was thinking about it the other day and was amazed at the distance per day in the different disciplines... wowser!!

Ken... no Boston? say it ain't so.... I was running vicariously through you.....

I've been putting in more miles running and biking lately... I have a 25k trail run on Saturday and a Sprint Tri on Sunday. I wasn't going to do the tri, but it's kind of on the way home from the trail run and it will let me do a test to see if I met my goals this year:: Bike at 18-20 mph and run better than a 9 min mile for a sprint tri.

My first 140.6 is less than a month away - January 11 and I'm starting to feel the butterflies.... I have to up my swimming next week.

I ran a timed mile last night at a local Town Christmas parade... ran 6:59:53. and I was severely winded afterwards..... and all I'm thinking about is that I'm going to have to hold this pace for a 13.1 in June.

I've been participating in the USAT National Challenge Competition
    http://www.race-tracker.net/usat/index.cfm

• .. as of this moment ranked number 11 in my age group.

• I'm glad everyone is doing well.... Crissy, I hope you granted a pardon to your "Turkey" lol....

2013-12-14 7:05 AM

User image

That USAT competition looks fun.... nice way to get motivated for off-season training.

Terry... you've slipped to 15 but your trail run and sprint tri should be a boost this weekend

2013-12-14 7:10 AM

User image

Crissy, Denise:

You might be interested in this:

http://www.tigercoaching.com/news

The 10th annual Winter Tiger Coaching Triathlon Camp will be held at the downtown YMCA in Lincoln on February 1 & 2, 2014. 16 hours of information including 7 hours of active training. Contact us for registration forms. Enter early for more savings

Its about 200 bucks depending on when you register.

Not sure if link will work:
    https://www.facebook.com/download/1415382855363236/Tiger%20Coaching%...

2013-12-14 5:45 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
    Ken, I have been toying with the idea of attending the tri camp. I saw Gary posted the info. $180 right now, correct? Yes, I am doing the Bryan Indoor Tri. I should look up my results from last time. I cannot believe you are going to skip Boston, but understand if your heart isn't in it. I signed up for a half marathon a couple years back that I had originally really wanted to run, and other things popped up - plus a lot of travel for work that year, and I opted to skip it. Felt a little guilty since I paid for it and all. Would have been more motivated if a friend or someone I knew was also going, but I was going solo, so even less motivated to make the trip.

Terry & Ken - yes that race is a beast. I would really have to up my biking and running in preparation for it. I know 4 women who are doing it as a team. I'm excited to hear how they do. I think the race is in June or July. Maybe 2015 will be my year of expedition adventure racing. But 2014 is definitely a 24 hour limit year of racing.

Finally got in the pool Thursday morning. Wow, my arms did not like swimming. Did a couple 100's and then could barely squeak out 50's. I'd get a good 30 yards into each lap and then my form would fall apart. 3 months of no swimming really does affect you in the pool. Guess I'll have to slow down and work up my distances again. I would think it will be easier this go around than it was at the beginning of the year - but not sure. Any feedback for how long it will take to get the swim distances and speed back up?

Also started my official off-season diet this week. I'm following the South Beach Diet more or less (I do eat a few things not on the menu - like cream in my coffee). I don't even feel like I'm dieting with the exception of no grains or fruit, but that's only for the first 2 weeks. I've upped my veggies considerably which is always good, decreased my sugar consumption, and I've dropped a few pounds this week (I'm sure mostly water) AND I'm never hungry. So things are going well. Plus there are so many great recipes out there. Had a fabulous chicken chili this week that I think I could eat every day and not get tired of. And who knew how many sugar free deserts you could make? I'm rather hooked on citrus flavored Jello with ricotta cheese right now and these chocolate meringue cookies with whipped topping - tastes like an ice cream sandwich.

2013-12-15 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    well... I finished the year's events today. I pretty much got my goals.
    I finished 3rd in age group and 40 overall in today's sprint Tri. total time 1:14:59
    my bike was 17.5 mph, and my run time was 29.47 - I wanted to get between 18-20 on the bike and under 30 for the run.
    I was pretty close, but about half way through, i was thinking ,i might have had fresher legs if i didn't do an ultra the day before... oh, well.....

my first trail ultra was yesterday, and I am proud to say that i finished dead last..... Much respect to trail and ultra runners...... I had to keep my eyes on the ground for ruts, rocks, roots and hills..... Wow.... what an experience.... I had no idea how difficult that kind of running can be.... I was worn out...fell asleep last night at 7:30 and woke up this morning at 4:30 in enough time to get packed and down to the Triathlon course....

In three weekends I'll be doing a full 140.6.... there are so money more miles to log before then...... but, right now.... Its nap time.....
    2013-12-16 6:06 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
    OMG Terry. How do you do it? I love trail running and you have to focus the whole time or risk tripping over something. It is hard to enjoy the beautiful scenery when you have to look down so often. And then you turn around and do a tri the next day and finish 3rd in your age group? Impressive to say the least. You could knock out the adventure race I posted above in your sleep. :-) Good job at the tri,and absolutely you could have done better if you hadn't run an ultra the day before!

2013-12-18 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    ok guys.. tomorrow is another swim day (open water) ..... I check the webcam for surf conditions before I go.....

Here is today's view.: http://www.ftlauderdalebeachcam.com

I usually swim a little north of this location.
    2013-12-18 7:56 AM

User image

Nice! Today at the pool I got my own lane for most of the swim. I've got admit, your swimming arrangement looks preferable to me
    2013-12-21 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    hey guys..... this "thread" forum is expired... they're asking to begin another forum....
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 25