BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-09-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
All - trying out a couple of the social functions on Garmin Connect and Strava. I created a closed group on Garmin Connect. Assume you can click on below link and then join. I'm interested in seeing how it aggregates and reports info.

http://connect.garmin.com/group/463284/members

Also created a group on Strava. I joined the slowtwitch one and it does a good job assimilating swim, bike, run data. Here is link - hope it works - to join one for our group.

http://app.strava.com/labs/clubs/Ernesto

Not sure how many are using Strava, but I know I follow a few people who have been in the mentor group.

Anyway, no pressure to join. More me experimenting to see the easiest way for us to stay on top of how we're all doing.

2013-09-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Master
Originally posted by sirgab

Congratulations Jim on your HIM race, a good time and great effort, especially considering the conditions your had!

Mitch, congratulations to your and your daughter on her breakthrough run, nothing like a proud dad!

I was able to finish my HIM on Saturday with a new PR of 5:20, but really struggled at the end due to really hot weather.  My swim split was good at 35 min (best swim ever) along with my bike split 2:34 (best bike ever) and then I melted in the run when it got really hot, humid and sunny and ran the 1/2 marathon in 2:07 (probably went to fast on the bike).  Still happy that I was able to improve by 8 minutes my previous PR from the Vineman tri 6 weeks ago.

As a funny reflection during the race, as I was struggling through the run and trying not to walk at the end, I could not help and think that I was having a hard time getting through a half Ironman race and I had a full Ironman (Cozumel) still to go in only 11 weeks...

I will post a race report later.

BTW, I recently did a video summary of my first Ironman experience if anyone is interested in watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENdXJtdd9A

Great job and can't wait to watch the video!

2013-09-15 10:29 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Originally posted by JoePetto Sunday I will be pacing my wife in the Philly Rock n Roll half marathon. I am going to ham and egg it on really three weeks of run training. Goal is to get my wife in under 2:00 - which should be doable. Looking forward to the race as it very well may be my last for a long while. Thursday I will see orthopedic surgeon and I am quite scares. The diagnosis is calcaneal (heel) spur with achilles insertion. In other words, there is a bone spur in my heel that rub where the achilles attaches to the heel. The options here are bad and worse. The spur needs to be removed or it will eventually compromise the tendon. How that done is scary and could involve detaching the achilles and chiseling out the spur. If we go that route, the recovery period is likely one year. On top of that, it is my right heel so I won't be able to drive, which creates lots of personal/work issues. Let's hope for the best.

Joe, very sorry to hear what you are still going through and I really hope that you can get back to normal soon!  Keep us posted on your progress.

I also hope that your wife's 1/2 marathon went well today and that you both had a good time!

2013-09-16 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by JoePetto

Sunday I will be pacing my wife in the Philly Rock n Roll half marathon. I am going to ham and egg it on really three weeks of run training. Goal is to get my wife in under 2:00 - which should be doable. Looking forward to the race as it very well may be my last for a long while.

Thursday I will see orthopedic surgeon and I am quite scares. The diagnosis is calcaneal (heel) spur with achilles insertion. In other words, there is a bone spur in my heel that rub where the achilles attaches to the heel. The options here are bad and worse. The spur needs to be removed or it will eventually compromise the tendon. How that done is scary and could involve detaching the achilles and chiseling out the spur. If we go that route, the recovery period is likely one year. On top of that, it is my right heel so I won't be able to drive, which creates lots of personal/work issues.

Let's hope for the best.

Joe- I hope the HM went well. I'm sorry to hear about the bone spur, I guess its on par for your year. A year of recovery is tough,
2013-09-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Had a blast on Sunday and got my wife through the HM at 1:56 or 8:55 pace. She PR'd by 5'. It was fun not running for my own time and loved having no pressure. However, it is hard to keep track of 5 foot woman in a crowd of 22,000 people. When we made the turn for the last 4 miles, I told her that she could have run sub 1:55 if she kept my pace, but it wasn't meant to be. As we approached the finish the line, I stopped short of the timing strips and let her finish before me.

Surgical consult on Thursday - stay tuned!
2013-09-17 3:56 PM

User image

Master

Had a blast on Sunday and got my wife through the HM at 1:56 or 8:55 pace. She PR'd by 5'. It was fun not running for my own time and loved having no pressure. However, it is hard to keep track of 5 foot woman in a crowd of 22,000 people. When we made the turn for the last 4 miles, I told her that she could have run sub 1:55 if she kept my pace, but it wasn't meant to be. As we approached the finish the line, I stopped short of the timing strips and let her finish before me.

Awesome note. Hope your consult goes well.

2013-09-17 8:27 PM

User image

Expert

The race sounded like fun. I'll be thinking of you Thursday, good luck.
2013-09-18 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Joe, glad the HM went well and congrats to your wife on a new PR!  Also sending good vibes your way so your medical consult goes well!

On separate news, after doing all my tris on a road bike, I finally took the plunge and bought a tri-bike with the help of our mentor Ernesto.  I got a nice deal on an almost new Cervelo P2 2012 in Dallas via Craigslist, and Ernesto helped out enormously by checking it out and getting packed at his local bike store.  It is now on its way to Guatemala, so I cannot report yet on the experience, but it will be a nice change for my upcoming Ironman Cozumel tri.

Also, not sure if you saw the announcement, but they just confirmed that the first Iron distance race in the US by the Challenge Family organizers (of Challenge Roth fame in Europe) will take place in Atlantic City on June 29th!  Both Ernesto and myself are thinking about signing up for the first edition of this race and registration will open up on Friday.  Anyone else interested in joining us? 

Challenge Family Arrives In USA With Challenge Atlantic City

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/09/18/challenge-family-arrives-in-usa-with-challenge-atlantic-city

2013-09-19 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Surgeon put me in a boot for 6 weeks with PT. Said the tendon looked good and hopes to avoid surgery. Good news, but no SBR for 6 weeks. WTF do I do? No elliptical either. I guess upper body resistance and core work.
2013-09-20 7:34 AM

User image

Expert

Surgeon put me in a boot for 6 weeks with PT. Said the tendon looked good and hopes to avoid surgery. Good news, but no SBR for 6 weeks. WTF do I do? No elliptical either. I guess upper body resistance and core work.

I am happy to hear it wasn't the surgery alternative. 6 weeks in a boot is going to stink, but it beats the hell out of being out of commission for a year. Just before the holidays is a good time to focus on the core
2013-09-20 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JBacarella

I am happy to hear it wasn't the surgery alternative. 6 weeks in a boot is going to stink, but it beats the hell out of being out of commission for a year. Just before the holidays is a good time to focus on the core

Agreed - core and upper body! There is that swim device that can be hooked onto a bench and allows you to work on swim form with resistance. Believe the link is: http://lanegainer.com/

2013-09-22 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Originally posted by JoePetto Surgeon put me in a boot for 6 weeks with PT. Said the tendon looked good and hopes to avoid surgery. Good news, but no SBR for 6 weeks. WTF do I do? No elliptical either. I guess upper body resistance and core work.

X2 Joe, that sounds way better than the previous altenartives and sooner than you think you will be back in the game!

BTW, our fearless group mentor Ernesto is right now doing his 5th Ironman at Lake Tahoe.  So far he's had a pretty good swim in 1:09:31 and his bib # is 2145 in case you want to check his progress.

2013-09-22 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sirgab

Originally posted by JoePetto Surgeon put me in a boot for 6 weeks with PT. Said the tendon looked good and hopes to avoid surgery. Good news, but no SBR for 6 weeks. WTF do I do? No elliptical either. I guess upper body resistance and core work.

X2 Joe, that sounds way better than the previous altenartives and sooner than you think you will be back in the game!

BTW, our fearless group mentor Ernesto is right now doing his 5th Ironman at Lake Tahoe.  So far he's had a pretty good swim in 1:09:31 and his bib # is 2145 in case you want to check his progress.

Great swim in what I heard was extremely cold water. That altitude has to be brutal.
2013-09-24 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Ernesto - great job on completing yet another IM. I think you've done the two extreme's in weather this year. Hot at Texas and Cold at Tahoe. You sure know how to pick them! Regardless - you have earned the IRONMAN moniker!
2013-09-24 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ernesto posted the Lake Tahoe video on FB. Its really cool. I have to say Tawas is warmer than Tahoe was. What a great venue.
2013-09-25 9:49 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Gabe, let's see pics of the new bike!

Joe, the HM sounded like fun. So glad you are avoiding surgery. Can you aquajog?

Ernesto, you never cease to amaze me. And your beautiful cheerleader and super trooper Vickie supports you to the max. How awesome! I guess it is a couple of days out of the classroom for her.

Well, in case you all were wondering, I got the email today that my Boston qualifying time was 34 seconds too slow to get my registration accepted for 2014. They turned away almost 3,000 of us. It was still an amazing experience to qualify on my first marathon ever. I didn't even realize how they register for Boston, because it was a stretch goal for me. Still figuring out which direction I want to go next. Thought about trying to get in it as a charity runner, but I really don't want to have to raise 4-5K. I'll keep you posted. I'm grateful that I missed the cutoff by a lot. I would have been really p-----sed if I had just missed it by one or two seconds. But I know some people did, and I really feel for them. Thanks so much to all of you for your support.

2013-09-27 5:11 AM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
Hi Guys,

I've been missing in action for a while. Most of it training for Ironman Copenhagen. This was my first Ironman and a great way to finish my first season of triathloning.

I found I could not train, commute, work, see my family AND be social!

IM Copenhagen was just superb. Great event, well organised, great crowd, and I finished.

All done in 12:19. I was stoked with this.

Apart from a HM last weekend I've pretty much rested with a bit of running since IM. In Australia the tri season is just about to start and I'm looking forward to getting back into training and heading into my second season. My big race for this season will be IM Melbourne in March.

Attachments
----------------
orig-IMCC3853-1.jpeg (157KB - 18 downloads)
2013-09-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: Gla56

User image

Master
Ran with my 11 yr old daughter at her first 5K yesterday. We did it in 30:36 and she beat me by a nose at the line (I'm a good dad!). It was a really crowded race so we ended up running 3.2 instead of 3.1. Her result put her just in the top 25% for girls 14 and younger. Really proud of her. It was a hilly course and it was maybe the 5th or 6th time she had ever run 3 miles at a time. I was a bit bummed when I saw the rest of the results...if I had "raced" the 5K I'm pretty confident I would have taken 2nd in my AG (40-44). I've never sniffed a podium before so that would have been cool.

So, she really enjoyed it and we're already signed up for another 5K in two weeks (her decision). It's called Run Scream Run and her older sister is going to dress us up in Zombie Make-up (its a Halloween theme run) and we'll be chased by people with chainsaws, etc. during the run. Should be a blast - hoping to get her to break 30 this time - should be a given if we run closer to 3.1 miles.
2013-09-30 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mitch- Too cool, way to take one for the team. My 12 year old has his 1st middle school CC meet tomorrow. Its a 5k and he is going off the same time the HS CC team is going, because its a small meet. So, he will be running with his older sister.

Greg-Glad your back, I hope the winter down under wasn't too rough. I am not ready for our season to end.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-09-30 9:04 PM
2013-10-01 9:21 AM

User image

Master

Mitch- Too cool, way to take one for the team. My 12 year old has his 1st middle school CC meet tomorrow. Its a 5k and he is going off the same time the HS CC team is going, because its a small meet. So, he will be running with his older sister.

Greg-Glad your back, I hope the winter down under wasn't too rough. I am not ready for our season to end.

Troy Middle Schools essentially have one CC meet. They have the 7th and 8th graders run 2 miles and the 6th graders 1 mile. I really want to push the coach to let 6th graders who are interested run the 2 mile race. Really feel it should be up to the 6th graders to decide on what distance. My daughter has done all the training runs that the 7th and 8th graders have done. I ultimately know there is no point in asking though. I just need to work with her this week on figuring out her 1 mile pace.
2013-10-01 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
My kids did well. Daughter ended up 11th overall in the HS race. It was a tough hilly course that included a sand hill climb to end the second mile. She still averaged an 8 minute mile. My son was 12th for Jr high on the same 5k course. One of the girls on the team is from a CC family and I ended following her Dad around the course to catch them at 1 mile, 2 miles coming up the hill. 2.5 and the finish. He is 62 years old and flying around the course. He still runs a 19 minute 5k.

2013-10-02 9:26 AM

User image

Master

My kids did well. Daughter ended up 11th overall in the HS race. It was a tough hilly course that included a sand hill climb to end the second mile. She still averaged an 8 minute mile. My son was 12th for Jr high on the same 5k course. One of the girls on the team is from a CC family and I ended following her Dad around the course to catch them at 1 mile, 2 miles coming up the hill. 2.5 and the finish. He is 62 years old and flying around the course. He still runs a 19 minute 5k.

Congrats Jim! Always great to see our kids excel and have fun!
2013-10-04 8:17 PM

User image

Expert

Sounds like a blast. Watching your kids achieve goals is better than achieving them for yourself.

Two out of six weeks in the boot are complete. Now Swim bike or run is killing me! but I am at the gym 5x week doing upper body and core strength training. It sucks, hard to get a sweat in but I luckily have a body type that responds well to strength training. I tend to put on muscle and weight so I have been careful to use low weights and high reps. Physical appearance and weight are good, but I know my MAF is going to hell.
2013-10-05 8:39 AM

User image

Expert

Sounds like a blast. Watching your kids achieve goals is better than achieving them for yourself.

Two out of six weeks in the boot are complete. Now Swim bike or run is killing me! but I am at the gym 5x week doing upper body and core strength training. It sucks, hard to get a sweat in but I luckily have a body type that responds well to strength training. I tend to put on muscle and weight so I have been careful to use low weights and high reps. Physical appearance and weight are good, but I know my MAF is going to hell.

Joe- 1/3 done. I think this is going to be really good for you. Its good to change things up and confuse your muscles. You will lose a little, but will make it up with a more powerful core, and it all starts with the core.
2013-10-06 12:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
Seems like the conversation here has dropped off a bit. Probably coinciding with the end of the Northern Hemisphere tri season.

However, down under, we're just starting.

After a break from heavy training and IM Copenhagen I'm getting back into things now. Base building. I'm finding that when I run my HR goes above my MAF even with the slightest jog. After about 15 mins it settles and I can do a reasonable MAF session (somedays).

The question: do I just ignore HR in that first 15 mins a go by perceived effort or stay religiously at or below MAF?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21