General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOGA ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-05 3:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-05 5:36 AM
in reply to: #4727710

Subject: RE: YOGA ??
I sometimes will substitute yogaloties for a workout during the week. It's a combination of yoga and polaties. It works on flexibility and general core strength training. Probably one of the best things I've done.
2013-05-05 8:04 AM

New user

I've been doing Pilates 2x week and it has made a huge difference - I  definitely feel it when I have to miss a class.

2013-05-05 12:42 PM

Regular
LHOTP

There was a very detailed discussion about this on ST a few months ago--lots of people posted links they liked. You may find that helpful.

I taught both yoga and pilates for many years, and I think incorporating them into your S/B/R training can be really helpful. I still do work like this 3-5x/week.  I STRONGLY encourage you to take some classes with a teacher first to learn how to do the poses correctly and safely.  It may only take 10-20 hours with an instructor to get comfortable with some poses and then you can do them at home, whenever you want, in whatever you want, listening to whatever kind of music you like:)

Many studios have an "unlimited" trial period of a week or two--for $20-$30 you can take as many classes as you want in the given time period to see if the studio is a good fit.  If you have a couple of studios in your area, I would recommend doing a trial period at each of them.  Even "bad" teachers can teach you something, and you'll inevitably find one that is a good fit for you.  Then, even if you do a majority of your practice at home, you still have a teacher you can check in with once and a while if you have questions or if you just want to take a class here and there.

Good luck :)

2013-05-05 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4727974

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

My GF is a Yoga instructor so I do yoga at least 3 days a weekSmile

The yoga was and still is hard for me, but I feel more flexable now.

2013-05-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4727974

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
switch - 2013-05-05 1:42 PM

There was a very detailed discussion about this on ST a few months ago--lots of people posted links they liked. You may find that helpful.

I taught both yoga and pilates for many years, and I think incorporating them into your S/B/R training can be really helpful. I still do work like this 3-5x/week.  I STRONGLY encourage you to take some classes with a teacher first to learn how to do the poses correctly and safely.  It may only take 10-20 hours with an instructor to get comfortable with some poses and then you can do them at home, whenever you want, in whatever you want, listening to whatever kind of music you like

Many studios have an "unlimited" trial period of a week or two--for $20-$30 you can take as many classes as you want in the given time period to see if the studio is a good fit.  If you have a couple of studios in your area, I would recommend doing a trial period at each of them.  Even "bad" teachers can teach you something, and you'll inevitably find one that is a good fit for you.  Then, even if you do a majority of your practice at home, you still have a teacher you can check in with once and a while if you have questions or if you just want to take a class here and there.

Good luck

Agree - though not an instructor.  And there are various types of yoga - find one that works for you.  With the intensity of training you're probably not after a butt-kicking power yoga class or anything (maybe you are) but learn some of the lingo and variations in styles to find what works for you.

2013-05-06 9:09 AM

Expert

I agree that you should try a couple of classes first to see what you like and learn the correct position for the poses.  Once you do that, Sage Rountree is an excellent source of yoga for athletes.  Check out her website.  She has a couple of books that have short routines in them for after a run or after a bike ride.  

I think you are smart to look at doing some yoga.  I've done it for 11 years now and have recently started on the teacher training journey and am teaching some classes.  I really believe it is beneficial.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOGA ?? Rss Feed