DRC Sports
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 9s
Overall Rank = 25/53
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Well, I brought my 2 yr old and 4 yr old. So I ws up till 10:30 p.m. the night before gettting stuff packed and the car situated. Up at 4:30 a.m. to get ready, get the kids in the car and be out the door by 5:00 a.m. Bringing my kids, and knowing that some Tri Club members were going to support me and watch the kids was still nerve wracking so eating and actuial race prep for myself was not happening.
Event warmup:

Had to tote my 26 pound two year old on my right hip all morning, up to seconds before the race. About 30 minutes before race time, I realized I didn't have my cell phone and went on a rampage trying to find it = running with a kid on the hip and dragging along a 4 yr old. Turns out my 4 yr old had dropped it between the seats of the car. Whew... ran back to the transition area to get my wetsuit on with minutes to spare.
Swim
  • 10m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall: 37/53
Since I was toting around a 2 yr old all morning on my right hip, I noticed that my right arm felt quite tired after rounding the first buoy and as a result I kept drifting.I also rushed to get my wetsuit on at the last sec and I was already perspiring, so I think I didn't pull it up over my chest and arms very well - I could feel the tension in my chest about halfway through the swim.
What would you do differently?:

My goal was not to panic and get my head in the water and keep it there the whole time. I had a lot of stuff going on race morning and am happy with the swim. I still have LOTS of room for improvement, but my goal was to stay calm and get through it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I was dizzy when I got out of the water. Found out later that lots of people felt this way too - guess it was from the windy chop in the water. Even though I was dizzy, I ran up to transition anyway, I kept telling myself... MOVE YOUR *SS, the dizziness will go away on its own.

Concentrated on bilateral breathing after the first buoy.
Bike
  • 34m 12s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal today - ride faster than 11 mph. My stationary bike hill training came in handy and I passed other riders when climbing hills. Struggled to maintain high cadence through flat and slight inclines.

Trained more.... done more sprint work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Not sure what happened here and why I took so long. I did rack my bike quickly, but took about 10 seconds longer than I wanted to.

More practice getting off bike. Still a newbie to clip pedals. I did run with bike into transition and left my bike gloves on until I was running, but why was I there a whole minute?
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Run course wss straight out and back, except it was not marked well and I had no idea if I was running in the right direction when I got out there. I dropped my bike gloves about .25 miles into the runa nd had to go back and get them, causing me to lose about 10 seconds. I felt like I hit my groove at mile 2 and was ready to run 6 miles, but as I came around the blind curve the run was over.

Picked up the pace sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Find kids... My 2 yr old came running to me and back on my hip she went. There really was no cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a lot on my mind. This was not an "A" race. Today's goal was more OWS practice and to get in a decent cycling time.

Event comments:

No drink stations along run course. Great course for new folks doing their first race or for anyone looking for a small, family friendly race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:05 | 440 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 4/53
Performance: Average
Started swim decently. All 53 men and women swam at same time. I let everyone else start and then waded in and got on the far left side. I quickly found myself swimming around people.
Suit: Full suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:12 | 10 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Overall: 25/53
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Wind - between 5 - 9 miles an hour. Loop around the lake with right hand turns, lots of blind turns. Hilly sections throught middle to the end of the ride.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:17 | 03 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 32/53
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out and back - hills, blind curves.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-05 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: North Florida Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4727741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: North Florida Sprint Triathlon
Great race, especially with the drama with the kids. It can be tough to get the kids ready and situated while at the same time trying to get mentally prepared for a race. I have been there and trust me my results were not even close to this! Good job!
2013-05-05 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jen great job and great race. I know it must have been tough trying to get ready and focus on the race when you had to take care of your kids right up to the start of the race. You did a great job with your swim being able to settle in and staying composed. You also did a nice job on the bike, the work you are putting in is paying off and you'll continue to improve. Congrats again on a really nice race.
2013-05-05 6:02 PM

User image

I don't know how you did it, Jen, with bringing your kids to the race?! - Wow! You get the supermom award! Way to get your goal in the swim and bike. Glad you were able to stay calm in the water. You didn't say when the dizziness subsided but it sounds like you didn't have to deal with it for long. Wanting to go over 11mph and getting over 17mph is great! Love the finish line pic - looks like you're really booking it. Congratulations on completing another tri successfully!
2013-05-06 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4728223

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Thanks for the props.

The dizziness faded away during T1. I just knew I had to keep my booty moving.

Not treating this as an "A" race b/c I had my kids was the key to me having a successful and fun race.

2013-05-06 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jen, I was thinking of you!  I know the weather was nasty.  GREAT job and looking for the cell phone was a GREAT warm up...lol

Congrats on the tri, great improvements!

2013-05-06 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4728636

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
KWDreamun - 2013-05-06 6:46 AM

Jen, I was thinking of you!  I know the weather was nasty.  GREAT job and looking for the cell phone was a GREAT warm up...lol

Congrats on the tri, great improvements!

Thanks Karl. I was thinking about you as I watched the Oly swimmers take off. Their buoys were waaayyy out there in the windy, choppy water. Two people told me that it looked like the last buoy kept moving further and further away as they swam against the wind. Glad I opted for the Sprint.

2013-05-06 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

This sounds like a great race for you.  It's great that you were able to include your kids but to bad it had to be so hectic with them.  The race seems well planned and you were able to target well the points in the race that were of primary importance to you.

The swim is the one thing that I am most happy about for you.  You were able to keep your cool throughout AND think about bilateral breathing.  Having the awareness to think about a breathing pattern speaks to your ability to get into a groove and settle into the race.  Very nice!

Your T2 time really isn't bad at all.  There are a lot of contributors that can make or break a T time but most people are going to have something in the neighborhood of 1 minute at any given race.  Unless the transition area is really, really short and the timing mats pretty close together a 1:02 is a pretty solid time.

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Florida Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed