Firm Racing
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 52s
Overall Rank = 162/350
Age Group = Clydsdale
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm went off at 4:15. Dressed and in the car by 4:45. Grabbed my Dunkies ice coffee and tuna on bagel. Took the scenic route there, but it was pretty. Got to the race about 5:45. Sad to beet the RD who is scheduled to start handing out race packets at 6. RD showed at 6:10. Credit given, they have gotten much better at getting ready quickly and efficiently than the last time I raced in 2005 at this venue.
Event warmup:

Found Samm, Melissa and Lynn after setting up my transition area. Was actually going to go for a short ride and run, but I knew I would not start my swim for an hour after the first swimmers hit the water. Did not want to get that warmed up, to just cool down.
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my best seeding ever in a pool swim. I think I put 8:35 as my time, and this time included the short run to the timing mat. I passed nobody, and nobody passed me. I would highly recommend as accurate a time as possible for a pool swim. I also recommend staying away from :00 and :30 times as people who guess will round the numbers more.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster in the pool before race day. Other than that, I was exactly where I thought I should be.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

First the T1 time is off my watch. The official bike time includes the T1 transition. I jogged out of the pool, and got to the rack. Only bad part about a TT swim is everyone in your rack gets to the bikes at the same time if their swim times are accurate.

I had clipped my shoes on in advance and this was almost the death of me....literally. I got out on the road and tried to get my feet into my shoes. I got the heel folded over, forcing my foot forward in the shoes. I played with them for about a 1/4 mile to try to get the fit right. In the process, I unclipped multiple times. One time, I swerved towards traffic. Could have gone bad, but it was ok.

Finally just gave in and rode with the shoes on wrong as I would loose more time fixing them than just going the 7 miles with them that way. This might have cost me a PR, but I am not sure.

run with the shoes on, or practice getting my feet in with wet feet... a lot. The actual time in T1 was very good, but the shoe thing cost the overall T1 efficiency.
Bike
  • 25m 59s
  • 7 miles
  • 16.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I was close to red lining on the first loop. My rough math says I was about 1:20 slower on the second lap even with the poor start on the first lap. Overall, I ROCKED this ride and I am very happy with it. Passed a bunch and was passed a few times. At the beginning of the second lap, I was caught behind a car that was behind some first lap riders. I made a poor decision on how to get passed the car, and crossed the yellow line on the left of the car to do it. Very poor choice, but the end result allowed me to mover forward. It was a snap decision and I would hope I do not choose it again, even with a possible PR in the balance.

Train more and not pass a car...snerk
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

A very clean T2. Time was part of the net run and came again from the Garmin.
Run
  • 22m 18s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

This was probably the best executed run ever for me. By no means was it the fastest, but tactically, and executionally almost perfect. Headed out of T2 and quickly got into my pace. Did not look at the watch to figure out how I was doing as the race option was confusing me. I have not used it before and could not figure out how to best use it to my advantage. Quickly got passed and passed a few people. At about a 1/4 mile out I was passed by a lady who would make this run very interesting.

At about the 3/4 mile mark, I realized the lady in front of me was not pulling away, but about 100 yds ahead. I decided to push the pace and try to chase her down. I have only done this a few times, most notably to DK at Cranberry, but under different circumstances. It took me about a mile to close within 10 ft. At this point, she pushed the pace a little. A few minutes later we were shoulder to shoulder. At this point she was ready to let me pass and drop back.

I turned and told her, she had been my rabbit for over a mile, and to stick with me. She gave a quick kick, and got back into stride with me. We ran the rest of the race pushing each other...HARD. I thought I would drop the pace a few times, but she would start to pull ahead, forcing me to keep the pace and vice verse. At the final two corners, I lucked out to be on the inside of the corner, forcing her to drop back about 2 steps on my pace. Each time, she kicked to keep up, and I kept encouraging her to do so.

According to my Garmin, I was up over 8 MPH in the finishing shoot, and I kept yelling for her to stay with me. I the end, I crossed the line about 4 strides ahead. It was the most intense finish I have ever had. The biggest difference from past big runs was the big push of the run came with over 1/2 the run remaining and only got pushed harder. It was AMAZING! I wish I could remember her name as our finish times are different based on start time.

train harder to be faster. On this day, I went deep into the well and came up HUGE!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

died ;) It took about 20 minutes to cool down and be able to breath again. Then I just got cold waiting for my friends so I could cheer them on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training

Event comments:

Never thought I would run a FIRM race again, and after this one, I will most likely go back again next year. Not as much because it was that good, but I did this tri as my first one 9 years ago, and would love to PR after 10 years. If I really apply myself, possible contend for a medal. I was about 6 minutes off the podium, but I think my running can get back to the low 9's and the bike up closer to 20. Not sure how much I can improve on the swim as I am very steady there.

Last updated: 2013-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 219/350
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: snaked through 8 lanes in a pool.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:25:59 | 07 miles | 16.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 105/350
149 BPM and 17.7 MPH according to the Garmin.
Wind: Little
Course: very short 2 loop course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:18 | 02.3 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 230/350
6.1 mph, 150 HR from the Garmin
Course: nice, relatively flat loop through residential neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-05 3:56 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-05 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4728112

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon

BACK WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!

Smiling here reading this- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hope this most excellent race got you fired up & committed to a season to remember!!!

COWBELL!!!

2013-05-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4728112

User image

Pro
MA

WHy did my name come up in your race report when I wasn't even in the race? 

Nice job!  Glad to hear you're happy with the race!

2013-05-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4729755

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
The reason your name came up was because of the finis we had at Cranberry. It was very hot and I closed the gap on you by running for a few more steps than you between walk breaks. I caught you as we got to the finish line and you out sprinted me. Somewhere there is a photo on Bt. This race was like the cranberry race as in I close a gap on a runner in front of me. The difference was this time it was all effort and not leaning on tacktics
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed