XTERRA
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 53s
Overall Rank = 33/64
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Was able to pre-ride course on Thursday which was a big help in preparing for the race. I was familiar with the course from running the half marathon last year which also was a big help.
Event warmup:

I arrived around 7:15, which gave me an hour to get my timing chip, body marked, set up my transition area and a little warm up in.
Swim
  • 16m 31s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was able to get in water about 10 minutes before start of race for a quick warm up. Made my way to the start line, middle of the pack near the front. Heard the countdown 3,2,1 and off we go! Just started to find my stroke when I see everyone around me stopping. WTF? I hear someone say that a person started too quickly and we were directed back to the start line. I couldnt believe it, I had never heard of anything like that before. So back to the start line and did it all over again. Made me way to first buoy, then second buoy and rounded it to the long stretch of the swim. I looked up and saw how far away that buoy was and immediately lost my breathe. I had to stop and collect myself for about 10 seconds. I reminded myself that I have to work into a rhythm and can't just go all out or I'll lose it. I finally started to get into a rhythm and was really focused on long strokes, rotating my body and deep exhales in the water. Finally, I thought to myself, I finally found my rhythm. At this point I started to push harder and was able to get past a few people. Rounded the last buoy and headed back to shore. Crossed the timing mat and made my way to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Need to sight better!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 17m 19s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 7.23 mile/hr
Comments:

The start of teh course is flat on a road, then begins the up hill climb. And you climb some more. This is where I started to get passed by better bikers then me. Having pre-rode the course I was aware of the upcoming sections which helped but I still was a turtle on the hills. I had to get off the bike on some of the hills and walk it up, which was probably faster but didn't set well with the ego!
Once we made it through the climbing there was some good downhill and of course the loose gravel which was like riding through molasses. Made it through that section and then headed to the lake area which was alot of fun. Once I made it back to the beginning it was downhill to T2.

Many things including riding a MTN bike more then 4-5 times before the race. I was using a borrowed bike that was too small and no clip-ins. Hoping to get my own bike before next years race!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 29m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy overall with my run given that the first half is uphill. I placed 16th overall so that was good and was 4th in my age group as well. Just need to push it harder in a sprint and go all out!

Not much but always room to get faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out for a bit to watch the oly race. Had some oranges and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

many factors discussed above

Event comments:

Was a great event and very happy with my first Xterra race! Can't wait for next year!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:31 | 820 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 28/64
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Start under bridge, head out to first buoy, make a right to second buoy, turn right and follow to the third buoy, make right and head home.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:19 | 9.32 miles | 7.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 39/64
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Very challenging course with a mix of everything. Lots of climbing in the first half of the course!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:03 | 03.11 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 16/64
Performance: Good
Course: Started by climbing a steep hill to get to the run course, take a left and head out to the desert, climb a steep hill and then a gradually climb to the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes