Longboat Key Triathlon Race Series
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 40s
Overall Rank = 59/189
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, dressed and out the door with breakfast by 5. Couldn't choke down the bagel, ended up just eating the peanut butter and my glass of milk. Got to race site by 5:30 and there were already quite a few cars in the parking lot. Had to go to packet pick up because I was working during the Saturday time slot. All the normal stuff there. The one thing that really ticked me off was no shirt in my size. This is now 3 races in a row where they have not had XXL shirts, even though they have it listed as an option at registration.
Event warmup:

Back and forth to the porti-pottie twice followed by the walk down to the swim start with a few arm circles just to look like the other participants. One day I will really warm up, but until then, I'll just keep doing what works.
Swim
  • 07m 9s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was by far the roughest swim of my 4 years in triathlon. They started all men over 40 and Clydes together. Right from the start there was a lot of body contact. Usually it thins out after the 100 yards or so but not today. I had 2 guys attempting to draft off of me, one to each side. The guy to my right was great, stayed just off my right leg and every couple of strokes would touch a foot and then back off. However, the guy to my left was an @ss. He was right on my shoulder and was constantly hitting me in the head, back and arm with every stroke. Several times I could not follow through because he was right on top of me. At least twice I put my hand on his shoulder to push him away. Once I even turned and yelled. Nothing seemed to work, he rode my left side all the way to the exit. The only positive, was I had a really good time for me, just over 7 minutes for 400 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure, I felt I started in a good spot, swam a good route, Swam within my abilities but couldn't shake the hack to my left. Other than stopping, I'm not sure there was anything different I could have done.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I had the first rack on the way in from the water. Typical transition for me with the exception of not hitting the lap button on my Garmin until I was almost out of T1. Guess I was a little flustered after the swim. Good thing for timing mats.

Hit Lap when I exited the water.
Bike
  • 36m 27s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I was in a pretty good overall position coming out of the water so I pushed it a little more than normal on the bike, especially going into a 20+ mph headwind. While on the bike I try to keep track of where I'm at, how many have I passed, how many have passed me? At the 5.5 mile mark I was even. I had passed 5 riders and been passed by 5, that was until the paceline went by. 6 riders in 2 lines and drafting like it was the team time trial at the TdF. Riders already on the way back were yelling at them to break it up. Then just before the turn around the race official on the motorcycle busted them. I made the turn and took advantage of the tailwind all the way back to T2. 17-18 mph on the way out, 22-23 mph on the way back.

Not much, could have pressed a little harder on the way back, could have drank a little more on the way out, but otherwise this was a very good bike leg,.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

It's such a good feeling to get back to transition and see a lot of empty racks. It also makes for a very quick T2.

Set up to the right side of my wheel. Its just one of those comfort things. I had to set up on the left and just didn't feel right during my shoe changes.
Run
  • 27m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Really wasn't sure what to expect on this run. Having just come off of NOLA 70.3, finishing was not an issue, but I didn't know how fast I could go. Started out a little fast then settled into a good pace. I have my Garmin set to lap every half mile. Laps 2-6 were all negative splits. Very happy with that, but still not as fast as a few years ago. Getting passed by all of the "runners" is always a bit frustrating, especially when they are older than you by up to 30 years!

Continue to work on running. Would love to be back in the 8 min/mile range.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and chocolate chip cookie then walked back along the route to cheer on some friends. Ended up cheering for a bunch of others as well. It's hard to see someone pushing towards the finish and not clap for them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Guy hitting me on the swim, 20+ mph headwind on the bike, and being overweight and slow on the run. 2 out of the 3 I can't change, so I guess I have to work on dropping some weight and getting faster.

Event comments:

I love the venue for this event. Protected swim, great roads for the bike and run and plenty of volunteers. Really wish they would figure out the shirt issue, but other than that this is a great race.

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:09 | 440 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 44/189
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes team trisuit
Course: Straight out from the beach about 300 yards then one right turn around the only buoy and over to the exit, about 100 yards away.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:27 | 12 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 32/189
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 6 mile out and back on Gulf of Mexico Drive. Very flat, smooth and fast.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:06 | 03 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 99/189
Course: Simple out and back along the main drive that services all the hotels. One water station at the 1 mile/2 mile mark with a turn around at 1.5 miles. Some shade, some open area, right along side of the golf course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-07 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Longboat Key Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-07 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4731230

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Longboat Key Sprint Triathlon
Good job. Someday they'll get the shirt thing figured out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed