REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 31m 24s
Overall Rank = 159/327
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/57
Pre-race routine:

This is my first race report so bear with me. Rev3 Knoxville was my first attempt at the 70.3 distance. I woke up to an early alarm but still ended up rushing down to transition close to race time. Ate PB and toast and sipped gatorade. Got down to transition and got everything in place.
Event warmup:

Roughly half mile walk to the swim start. Fortunately my wife was with me so I kept on shoes until right before we hit the water (first wave of the day).
Swim
  • 45m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time using a wetsuit in a race. Glad I did the practice swim on Saturday as I knew what to expect in the cold water. The upstream portion seemed tough. Maybe it was the thoughts of the 1.2 mile swim, maybe it was trouble settling into a groove, but I paused several times and never thought I'd reach the turn buoy. After the turn, I got into my normal pace and finished the swim with no issues.
What would you do differently?:

Just need more swim practice/training.
Transition 1
  • 10m 10s
Comments:

Long run from swim exit to T1. I did not take advantage of the shoe drop and instantly regretted it. Walked too much of the distance. Took time to put on arm warmers, windbreaker socks and gloves. Very slow transition but did not want to be miserable on the bike.

Use shoe drop, move faster. I knew it would be a long day so wanted to get everything right.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.41 mile/hr
Comments:

A little bit disappointed with the bike leg. Granted I went in under-trained for the bike (this was my longest ride so far this year). I need to step up my bike training and ride more hills. I was conservative on the downhills due to rain and wet roads. I did not eat enough - wet gloves made handling food difficult. Dropped a few pieces of powerbar. Should have just stopped quickly to get organized.

More bike training, especially on hills. Just need more time in the saddle. Eat more while biking. Nutrition problem on the run likely stemmed from not taking in enough calories on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Peeling off wet jacket and gloves was slow. I took time to change into dry socks since my shoes were dry (transition was in a parking garage). Ended up being a waste of time as my shoes/feet were soaked through within first mile of run.

Not change socks. Move faster.
Run
  • 2h 07m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Poor run performance for me. Ran my first half marathon in April 2011 at 2:00:47 flat. PR is now 1:39:52. I was cruising along around an 8:40/mile pace until mile 8. Lots of walking the last 5 miles. Consumed pretzels, powerbar, gatorade and little coke. Managed to run slow the last mile. Was hoping for a 1:55 run or 2:00 at worst. Missed by a long shot. This was my toughest run ever considering the conditions. With so much rain, there were numerous sections of the greenway with water 3-4" deep and one section that was calf/knee deep. Since it was an out-and-back, you had to go through all this twice. It was frustrating but you just had to laugh it off.

Get nutrition in check for this distance. Lack of calories on the bike hurt my run leg.
Post race
Warm down:

Foil blanket to cover me, ate a bbq sandwich. Transition was a half mile walk so made the trek to pick up bike and gear in the pouring rain. Half mile back to hotel and changed into dry clothes (already checked out of hotel) for the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough bike training, nutrition plan not executed.

Event comments:

Rev3 dd a great job given the weather conditions. Rev3 staff was great. Volunteers were awesome (can't imagine standing out in the cold rain for hours handing out food/drinks all with smiles on their faces). This was my first half distance event. I'm glad I competed/completed the distance. It was as much mental as physical due to weather conditions. Already looking for next 70.3.

Last updated: 2013-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:14 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/57
Overall: 202/327
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Tennessee River - upstream about 750, across 25, then downstream for remainder.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:24:46 | 56 miles | 16.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/327
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Rolling with I believe 4-5 decent climbs. Lots of turns on the downhills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:07:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/327
Performance: Bad
Course: First and last three miles were relatively flat. Middle of course was rolling with some decent hills. Some of the run is on the greenway along a creek that turned into a raging river - lots of flooding along the run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-07 1:15 PM

Subject: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev

2013-05-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4731529

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev
Great job! Picked quite a day for your first 70.3! I had the same issues with nutrition, it was on of those days I realy did not feel comfortable taking my hands off the handlebars to grab something. With the wet roads and the ragging rivers on the greenway it made for a very memorable day. Plus 1 on the comment about the Rev volunteers and crew out there! They made a tough day alot more fun!
2013-05-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4731529

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Don't beat yourself up about the run. That was a hard run. Having to slosh through the calf deep water with all of the "do not come in contact with water, does not pass biological standards" signs around was tough.
2013-05-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4732619

wolfador - 2013-05-08 6:27 AM Don't beat yourself up about the run. That was a hard run. Having to slosh through the calf deep water with all of the "do not come in contact with water, does not pass biological standards" signs around was tough.

I must have missed those signs.  I was going to finish this race come hell or high water.  Not sure how close hell came but the high water arrived.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev Rss Feed