General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing Improvement: Best Approach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-08 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4734061

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Climbing Improvement: Best Approach?
Fred D - 2013-05-08 7:51 PM
brigby1 - 2013-05-08 8:07 PM
Fred D - 2013-05-08 6:55 PM
morey000 - 2013-05-08 7:16 PM

Just a thought- but I saw this about your long ride:

Avg Bike Cadence:62 rpm

That's pretty slow. Even with all the climbing you did.   you're a real 'masher'.  If it's that you ran out of gears and need a compact and/or a bigger cassette- get it.  That's an easy fix. 

. He's riding a compact with an 11-28 so short of getting a triple or getting SRAM apex I think he's already geared pretty well. As for the cadence, I think that depends. I'm a reasonably good climber and I suspect I have a cadence in the low 60s on climbs. It isn't for a lack of gears, but just what I prefer to do.

My cadence may also drop noticeably on the uphills. And this may also include coasting values of 0 on the downhills, depending on how logic is set up. Lots up uphill tends to mean lots of downhill as well, both lowering the average.

Fyi, all levels of 10 speed SRAM rear derailleurs have a WiFli version available that can handle a 32T, not just Apex. Except, perhaps, the new Force 22 and RED 22, the 11 speed sets.

. I had a chance to try the new 22 recently. Pretty nice stuff. Didn't know that about apex.... Thought it required a special rear der.

It was just Apex at first, but then they added in for the others later. The regular derailleurs go to 28T and the WiFli version is a bit longer, going to 32T. And yes, I've been checking into every little detail like this recently for myself and my brother. Smile

I'm not sure this will be necessary for the OP yet, as the LP hill sounds rather gradual compared to what he's been doing.

Edited by brigby1 2013-05-08 11:14 PM

2013-05-09 3:57 AM
in reply to: #4734008

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: RE: Climbing Improvement: Best Approach?
brigby1 - 2013-05-08 8:07 PM
Fred D - 2013-05-08 6:55 PM
morey000 - 2013-05-08 7:16 PM

Just a thought- but I saw this about your long ride:

Avg Bike Cadence:62 rpm

That's pretty slow. Even with all the climbing you did.   you're a real 'masher'.  If it's that you ran out of gears and need a compact and/or a bigger cassette- get it.  That's an easy fix. 

. He's riding a compact with an 11-28 so short of getting a triple or getting SRAM apex I think he's already geared pretty well. As for the cadence, I think that depends. I'm a reasonably good climber and I suspect I have a cadence in the low 60s on climbs. It isn't for a lack of gears, but just what I prefer to do.

My cadence may also drop noticeably on the uphills. And this may also include coasting values of 0 on the downhills, depending on how logic is set up. Lots up uphill tends to mean lots of downhill as well, both lowering the average.

Fyi, all levels of 10 speed SRAM rear derailleurs have a WiFli version available that can handle a 32T, not just Apex. Except, perhaps, the new Force 22 and RED 22, the 11 speed sets.

This. If I'm out for a ride without a lot of hills (rare around here), I'll settle into the 85rpm range. My trainer work is usually in that range as well. I appreciate all the gearing talk, but I've just never felt I've needed more than what my compact offers ... even on the hills of VT. 

And the "type of hill" comments have been spot on ... and helpful. I hadn't been thinking that specifically. I get caught in the "I suck at climbing" thoughts and haven't really been dissecting the specifics of these climbs. So I appreciate that as well.

I'll get at lease one training ride done on the course. If I hop on the ferry here in Burlington, ride a loop, and return, it'll give me a nice century ride. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Climbing Improvement: Best Approach? Rss Feed  

of 2