General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hammer race day supplements? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-09 5:40 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City
Subject: Hammer race day supplements?

I know I've seen a thread on this awhile ago but I searched and could not come up with much.

I am considering using some of Hammer Nutrition's supplements during a HIM race.  Their lit looks good but I have to take it with a grain of salt.  I am looking at the Anti-Fatigue Caps, Mito Caps and maybe Energy Surge.  Does anyone have any experience with these for HIM to IM distance racing? Are they worth it or should I just save my money? What were your regimens? 

I currently take a Multivitamin, Super B Complex, Mag, and Zinc on a semi daily basis and have seen decent gains in training level, recovery and a few races up to HM distance in the last few months.

Yes, if I were to order these I would test them in training first.

2013-05-09 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4735664

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Hammer race day supplements?

I've tried them.

To tell you the truth, I can't say whether they've done anything or not.

2013-05-09 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
I've been using Hammer brand for a few years.  I have bad stomach issues and they are gluten free and much easier on the stomach than most others.  They also have a wide variety.  Gels, drink powders etc... For HIM and IM they have Perpetuem powder which has the protein that you need for longer distances My first IM I was not using them and I had nutirtion issues late in the race.  Since switching I have had no  problems...
2013-05-10 8:02 AM

User image

Davidson , North Carolina

I've been using Hammer for a couple years. every thing from the recoverrite (love it) the race caps/ endurance supreme etc. I found the recoverrite works great and would very strongly recommend using after workouts. .

Heed pretty good but a little sweet, using GU now because thats what the race is supply on the road. 

fizz caps are great for easy electrolytes or take the electrolyte pill (what I use for races and some times on hard days before bed to help with night time cramps. 

Racecaps supreme- I think worked great  over just taking Coenzyme Q10 (strongly recommend

Endurance Amino- taking this in conjunction  with race caps (strongly recommend

hamer gel is okay, to tell you the truth I cant tell the difference between Gu,Hammer,Clif gels- its cheaper in the bulk tube, but Gu roctane is a great pick me up late in the race. 

Tissue Rejuvenator, I used it over the winter to help recover. Really could not tell you if it helped speed up healing time. 

And a must have is the Cool feet. Works great for bike shoes/ running shoes keeping the stink away. Very effective natural  bacteria and fungal  fighter. 

I've tried a buch of other stuff but not enough to give a yea/nay 

hit me up if you have any questions. 

also if you use my hammer # you can get 15% off I think. 203275. 

the tri shorts are nice for training 

Andrew 

2013-05-10 9:57 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Not only should you probably save your money on the Hammer stuff, but on your current list, as well.
2013-05-10 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I use exclusively Hammer. Only for one year for triathlon, but for some time as a marathoner. I get GI issues on most of the other things out there. But I only use Perpetuem for long rides and Hammer Gel for runs (and sometimes on the ride). One gel every 4-4.5 miles in a marathon. I've not had any GI related issues on any race in the 3 years I've been using Hammer. I guess I have used the Perpetuem solid tablets, but I didn't like the resulting consistency once I had it chewed up.

That's it. I don't use the other stuff. Nor do I supplement my food diet with any vitamins or recovery products. But I eat pretty clean.

2013-05-11 1:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
All I'll say is I have been using Hammer for many years and I swear by the Race Caps, Mito Caps, Endurance Amino, and AntiFatigue, esp during long distance races.
2013-05-11 4:51 AM
in reply to: #4736451

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JohnnyKay - 2013-05-10 11:57 AM

Not only should you probably save your money on the Hammer stuff, but on your current list, as well.

Agreed!

Shane
2013-05-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4737550

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: tkos

Davidson , North Carolina
I eat a very well balanced diet and watch very closely where my food is coming from and what it is. As far as supplements> I simply think they do help. As a Student with a undergrad in Bio and now going into nutrition program. I can know why I am taking theses supplements and how they can be helpful. Yes they cost money, but I see it as I am funding my health bill now for later in life.

Caffeine is also a diuretic and if taken in large does drain some of your glands dry.

Sugar is the only source of energy used, but if you take in a simple sugar like gatoraid the body breaks it down quickly and burns it quickly. A larger more complex sugar I would think would be better used and not causing a sugar low/high..
2013-05-22 7:07 AM
in reply to: AndrewBlerner

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by AndrewBlerner

I eat a very well balanced diet and watch very closely where my food is coming from and what it is. As far as supplements> I simply think they do help. As a Student with a undergrad in Bio and now going into nutrition program. I can know why I am taking theses supplements and how they can be helpful. Yes they cost money, but I see it as I am funding my health bill now for later in life.

Since you seem to be taking a long list of supplements, I was hoping you could point to some peer reviewed research that shows their efficacy.

Caffeine is also a diuretic and if taken in large does drain some of your glands dry.

Caffieine is a diuretic but this is generally offset when used by endurance athletes as the delivery of method of caffeine tends to involve plenty of liquids. If they were just popping caffeine pills then this may be a concern but caffeinated beverages and gels are very unlikely to cause hydration issues.

Sugar is the only source of energy used, but if you take in a simple sugar like gatoraid the body breaks it down quickly and burns it quickly. A larger more complex sugar I would think would be better used and not causing a sugar low/high..

Are you talking about sugar during exercise or in one's regular diet?

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hammer race day supplements? Rss Feed