Virgin Islands, U.S.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 05m 16s
Overall Rank = 292/510
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up pretty early for coffee and pancakes. Took a cab over and set up transition.
Event warmup:

200 or 300m swim to the Cay, then stood and waited for our wave to go off. I think we were the last wave to go.
Swim
  • 36m 50s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goggles were foggy and it was hard to sight. I am awful at sighting and pull right. I enjoyed the swim. I didn't push this but definitely need more work on my swimming. Probably pretty accurate time for the swim shape I am currently in. Plan is to join masters in June. I just push myself more when I am with a group.
What would you do differently?:

Better goggles, more swimming and some strength work.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think I had a pretty good transition. Not sure of the time. We had to run through grass, down a sidewalk to the mount line. I ran with my shoes on my feet. I don't usually leave them on the pedals.

not much
Bike
  • 3h 35m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I had 2 bottles launch with my nutrition, which I stopped for. I didn't want to not take in my calories and hydration. I also had a flat coming down a hill right about mile 30. My actual ride time was about 3:10 on my Garmin. At some point after that I reached around for a bottle and felt my stomach start to cramp. Then the right quad started to go. It was worrisome so I just made sure I didn't push it and cause a lock up! My forearms were also cramping.

I took all my nutrition and filled my water when I came to aid stations. After my flat, my bike and tipped over and I guess my water spilled out so I did go without for a bit. I took in 6 GU on the bike and 6 endurolytes. I decided after I flatted that I had come here for a High Quality Training Day and I was going to enjoy the sights and people, so that is what I did.

I need to figure out the cramping. It has been an issue in the past during races but not always. Also, more training and gym time.

11 pros DNFed and no clue how many others but there were flats everywhere and crashes. The male pro that was in the lead collapsed on the run course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was somewhat down coming off the bike because even though I was looking at this as a "training day" I still didn't have a good ride. I was hoping to put together a decent run, starting easy and building each mile. A friend from home was in transition trying to encourage me. I lollygagged a bit here.

Act like it is a race!

Run
  • 2h 52m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate to even post a race report as I really sucked! haha. I started with a 9:30 pace for mile one and started cramping in my quad. I just kept moving but mile 2 came and the quad was getting worse. Stopped for a sec to try to stretch it out/ shake it out, ice it. 10:00 for that mile. Mile 3 I ran a 9:30, which was ok considering the course but then...the cramping became awful. Not only my quad was cramping but my hamstring, foot, ankle, calves. I took in water, gatorade, coke, more endurolytes, salt...to no avail. At mile 11 as I was leaving the Buccaneer almost reduced to tears, a volunteer suggested I might need a ride to the end. For just a nano second I thought about it.

Again, need to look at my hydration and nutrition. Maybe I was just not ready for this race. I started training in January after taking off a year. Although I tend to think the cramping was more of a hydration/electrolyte issue as the cramping was all over, including stomach muscles.
Post race
Warm down:

Medic tent for an IV of fluids. Still some twinges of cramps after one bag. Maybe could have used another. I felt ok after the race, just afraid to move for fear of a cramp! My right quad felt bruised.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness, cramping and my brain.

Event comments:

I told my coach I think the bike course is tough but not awful. You did have to be on mentally the whole time due to the conditions. This race really starts on the run. The cumulative effect of the bike with hills, heat, humidity, wind, rough roads shows up on this really challenging run course.

I swore while I was doing the "run" I would not do this race again....of course, time has passed and I believe I will be back :)

Last updated: 2012-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:50 | 2000 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 220/510
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: We swam out about 50 or 100m then a sharp left turn around the Cay, straight out to the next turn bouy. Sun was mostly ahead and a little to the right. After the turn, we headed diagonally to the next turn near the shore, then swam along the sea wall to the exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:35:37 | 56 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 275/510
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was mostly hills. The Beast gets the recognition, but there other hills the back half of the course that really add to this. There was a lot of rain the day before so the roads had some really treacherous spots with mud, rocks and water, especially at the bottom of hills. Potholes and rough roads add to the challenge.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:52:29 | 13.1 miles | 13m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 292/510
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops of the following: 2 miles of a slow, slight climb to the Buccaneer, 2 miles of some off road through the Resort with hills, 2 miles slight, slow decline to the turn around. There were aid stations every kilometer with go-go juice, coke, water, snacks, sponges and ice. Pretty much no shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-10 7:00 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: St. Croix Ironman 70.3

2013-05-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4736135

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. Croix Ironman 70.3
Sorry the day did not go well for you.  I think your training has been good. You definitely had some challenges on the bike.  I would lean towards dehydration as you needed fluids at the end and lost fluids off your bike.  I think the dye was cast when you started the run.   As you probably know when you loose 2% of your body weight in fluid losses you start to loose performance.  Hope you feel better soon and enjoyed the rest of your trip!
2013-05-11 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4736135

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: St. Croix Ironman 70.3
I am so proud of your refusal to quit! It was so tough out there and you kept going despite your pain. TEAM!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed