Virginia Capital Trail Foundation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 31m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not a race - just a ride. Original plan was to do a 50 mile loop, but then M needed someone to ride with her on 100 miles. I wasn't up to that, but there was a convenient "feed zone" so I did 68 miles with her.

Got up early, ate, fed baby, kissed hubby goodbye. Drove to feed zone (at the 19 mile mark from Williamsburg). There were two torrential downpours as I drove, and I was getting a bit nervous that it would be a wet, miserable day. But shortly after I got there (at 7:30 am) the rain tapered off. I saw none all day.
Event warmup:

None. Got ready, when Maria got there I hopped on and we rode.
Bike
  • 4h 31m 25s
  • 68.03 miles
  • 15.04 mile/hr
Comments:

So! This is the farthest I've ever ridden! (I've got a couple metric centuries under my belt, but from years ago.) I was worried I'd be beat, but I felt really strong the whole way. Felt like I could've done 100 miles (but glad I didn't). The weather was great, nice and cool. It started getting hot just in the last hour or so. It was breezy, with some annoying headwinds at times. I had accidentally grabbed hubby's helmet and gloves in the dark. His helmet was fine, but the gloves were disgusting and holey. So I went without. I didn't actually miss the gloves until about 40 miles or so. Today, my left wrist still hurts, unfortunately. Also, my right knee started hurting, just above the kneecap. It got bad enough in the final 25 miles that I started using mostly left leg. Besides the knee, I felt really strong. We kept a 15 mph pace, no problem. There were feed zones every 12 to 15 miles, so it was easy peasy to just ride to the next one, get a snack, fill a water bottle, and keep going. The last 8 miles were on trail along route 5, which was just delightful: rolling, no traffic to worry about, beautiful. The only other problem I had was pollen in the eyes. They got really bothered a few times. M was hurting from a crossfit workout, so she had to stretch her back every feed zone, but she had a good day and did her 100+ miles for the first time!
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. If there was a way to prevent the knee pain, I'd like to know. Maybe I need a bike fit...
Post race
Warm down:

Cookies! The Courthouse Grille in Charles City had the most awesome cookies out for everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the knee. Otherwise I could have pushed it more.

Event comments:

The feed zones were awesome, well stocked, with friendly volunteers. My only complaint is that there was no meat. They did have cold rice/beans/corn burritos, of which I had two. My riding buddies were not up to trying cold burritos, but that was the best cold rice & beans I've ever had! The Rockett's Landing after party looked good, but we went through at 10:30 am, so it was barely starting.

Last updated: 2012-12-31 12:00 AM
Biking
04:31:25 | 68.03 miles | 15.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Started in Charles City, looped northwest to Rockett's Landing/Richmond, then south through Richmond Battlefield Park, then southeast back to Charles City.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-12 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Cap2Cap Ride

2013-05-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4739010

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Cap2Cap Ride
I missed the cold burritos. In Williamsburg they had turkey/cheese rollups for lunch.
2013-05-13 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4739010

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Cap2Cap Ride

Great job!

I would definitely look into getting a bike fit if your knee is hurting.  Your seat is probably too low, but there might be some other fit issues.  It is definitely worth it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cap2Cap Ride Rss Feed