General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pushing the Rock Back Uphill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Pushing the Rock Back Uphill
Hello to all...

Been years since I've posted here. Was fairly active here back in 2005-08. Our first daughter came along in 2009, and then we doubled down in 2011. Was competing in HIMs and 13.1/26.2 road races before the wee ones turned everything upside down (in a a good way, obviously). Struggled through a partial HIM in Fall '11 (swim was cancelled, and my bike/run performance was laughably bad), and haven't managed to exercise since. Did one sprint last summer (had to: run course passes my house) and was close to 20 mins. slower than my previous performance on the same course. Haven't been on my bike in a year. Haven't been in the water in a year. Ran my first three miles in forever this morning. Basically starting the whole adventure over again, only with a body that is now 8 years older. On the upside, parenting has taught me patience and revealed stamina I didn't know I had.

So now that the rock has rolled back down to the bottom, it's time for me to start pushing uphill again. We'll see what the future brings. Have to figure out some goals for the next six months to keep this going forward. Once told myself that I would take a shot at 140.6 before I hit forty. That didn't happen. New horizon for that is 50 (the new forty). That's seven years and counting...

2013-05-13 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4739610

User image

Subject: RE: Pushing the Rock Back Uphill
Good luck, look forward to hearing about your progression back!
2013-05-13 1:46 PM

Haven't been out of the game as long as you, but am definitely starting at the bottom. Just completing 2 mile runs is tough most days. I am trying really hard to ignore the numbers and just appreciate getting out to do anything. I think consistency and patience are going to be the key to getting back in shape,. The good part about super low volume is that it doesn't cut into family time as much. Good luck!

2013-05-13 2:19 PM

Veteran
Good on ya, man. It's always much easier to maintain than to start, or to re-start. Until you're back in the groove, it's just that much more energy you're expending and that much more sleep you're not getting. Stay with it, and good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pushing the Rock Back Uphill Rss Feed