General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Friction massage for Achilles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: Friction massage for Achilles

Has anyone ever had any success with "frictioning" or deep friction massage for Achilles tendonitis (or any other kind of tendonitis)?

After a couple years off triathlon I decided to get back into it again this year, but a few weeks into my run plan I developed - yet again - tendonitis of my Achilles. This is a recurring problem for me, my back body is chronically tight. I'm seeing a new physio - she's conveniently located in my office building so I can go on my lunch - and in addition to seeing her twice a week she's got me frictioning my Achilles daily (along with the usual stretches, icing, etc). I think it's getting worse, not better. A google search brings up all kinds of research and pros & cons for this type of "self treatment". In my case the inflammation seems to be spreading upwards, and now my calf & tissues surrounding the tendon constantly feel bruised (and are swollen and very sensitive to the touch).

Just curious if anyone else has any personal experiences, or any thoughts. I've done a search, but haven't found any threads addressing it ... ??

2013-05-13 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4739857

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Friction massage for Achilles
bodhi_girl - 2013-05-13 11:11 AM

Has anyone ever had any success with "frictioning" or deep friction massage for Achilles tendonitis (or any other kind of tendonitis)?

After a couple years off triathlon I decided to get back into it again this year, but a few weeks into my run plan I developed - yet again - tendonitis of my Achilles. This is a recurring problem for me, my back body is chronically tight. I'm seeing a new physio - she's conveniently located in my office building so I can go on my lunch - and in addition to seeing her twice a week she's got me frictioning my Achilles daily (along with the usual stretches, icing, etc). I think it's getting worse, not better. A google search brings up all kinds of research and pros & cons for this type of "self treatment". In my case the inflammation seems to be spreading upwards, and now my calf & tissues surrounding the tendon constantly feel bruised (and are swollen and very sensitive to the touch).

Just curious if anyone else has any personal experiences, or any thoughts. I've done a search, but haven't found any threads addressing it ... ??

I have never attempted the deep friction massage for it. My brother wears those goofy strassburg socks and her swears by them. I started running by the maffetone method from the Big Yellow book of endurance racing. I have not had a real Achilles problem since. Nothing else has ever worked for me.

2013-05-14 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4739857

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
I wouldn't do a cross friction massage daily. It's an intense massage, and the body needs time to recuperate and adapt from the stress you placed on it. If it were me, 3 times a week is the max I'd do, or receive. Doing it daily breaks down the tissue daily without that recuperation period.
2013-05-22 2:09 AM
in reply to: chunta

yeah daily sounds like too much...it needs to heal afterwards. 2-3x a week max.

stretch. stretch. stretch. multiple times a day. get the sock/splint for night. foam rolling or other not as deep massages can be done every day....get the whole chain low back--->plantar fascia.

also....give it SOME rest at SOME point. A day off from walking, exercising, stretching, and massaging, might help.

once warm and stretched....hold the crucial stretches for 3-5 minutes....30 secs of stretching your calf is not close to enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Friction massage for Achilles Rss Feed